PDA

View Full Version : Monster hit!

turbostud
12-06-2006, 03:23 PM
La Feria punt returner gets nailed by Rio Hondo player.
Punt Returner got hit at the same time he caught the ball. Ref threw a flag. IMO it was a legal hit. Player should have called for a fair catch. Others dont think so.
Is there a halo rule in High School football?
Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGDnBj85sR0)

Phil C
12-06-2006, 03:25 PM
He may have signaled for a fair catch before the camera got to him. In that case the ref was justified in throwing the flag.

turbostud
12-06-2006, 03:26 PM
People at the game said he did not call for a fair catch.

Old Tiger
12-06-2006, 03:28 PM
poor kid

Txbroadcaster
12-06-2006, 03:42 PM
it could have been interference or spearing

neck_06
12-06-2006, 06:46 PM
legal.

Emerson1
12-06-2006, 06:53 PM
You can't tell. The video is so crappy you can't even see the ball.

neck_06
12-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
You can't tell. The video is so crappy you can't even see the ball.

i saw the ball, maybe its just your computer...

wimbo_pro
12-06-2006, 06:54 PM
This is exactly what happened to my nephew last year (#5, Tommy Bennett) while playing W. Columbia in the play offs, except he DID call for a fair catch. The thing that made it so bad was the guy who hit him then danced all over the sideline trying to get the crowd involved, throwing his arms in the air. Tommy missed the next weeks game against Hondo due to the concussion. Their coach didnt stop it, but he didnt encourage it either.

neck_06
12-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
This is exactly what happened to my nephew last year (#5, Tommy Bennett) while playing W. Columbia in the play offs, except he DID call for a fair catch. The thing that made it so bad was the guy who hit him then danced all over the sideline trying to get the crowd involved, throwing his arms in the air. Tommy missed the next weeks game against Hondo due to the concussion. Their coach didnt stop it, but he didnt encourage it either.

ok, this is old. it was me who did it, and i have already spoken with tommy about it over the internet and he forgave me, so why can't the rest of wimberley. if you have ever played under the lights on friday night, you know the emotions i was having. i didn't want that to be my last game and i was trying anything to get my team fired up and tommy called for the fair catch when i was 3 yards away. i didn't even know that tommy was hurt until the following morning when my dad told me.

p.s. - were you the one yelling at me @ halftime? all i remember was a middle aged man yelling, "You're gonna get yours #9 you son of a b****!!!"

CenTexSports
12-06-2006, 07:05 PM
The halo rule was removed. The rule is now that a player must have an unimpeded ability to catch the ball. It is a judgement call and based on the video the flag was warranted but if there was a fair catch signal it would be a personal foul not kick catch interference.

GreenMonster
12-06-2006, 07:15 PM
There is no "halo" rule in Texas HS football anymore but the referee has the ability to drop a flag if he feels that the defender interfered with the receiver's ability to make a clean catch of the ball. I think it is a good call. Receiver's head is still tilted back and even if he had touched the ball he never had the chance to put the ball away which in my opinion means the defender interfered in his ability to make a clean catch. Judgement call.

RMAC
12-06-2006, 07:26 PM
This happened when we played UT. The guy never signaled for a fair catch, caught the ball, stood there, then got laid out and there was a personal foul called against Tech with no reason for it. I guess the ref just wasn't paying attention.

wimbo_pro
12-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
ok, this is old. it was me who did it, and i have already spoken with tommy about it over the internet and he forgave me, so why can't the rest of wimberley. if you have ever played under the lights on friday night, you know the emotions i was having. i didn't want that to be my last game and i was trying anything to get my team fired up and tommy called for the fair catch when i was 3 yards away. i didn't even know that tommy was hurt until the following morning when my dad told me.

p.s. - were you the one yelling at me @ halftime? all i remember was a middle aged man yelling, "You're gonna get yours #9 you son of a b****!!!"

Well Neck...I am impressed with your confession, and I didnt know you talked to Tommy about it. It takes a man to admit it was just a mistake. In your defense, I understand you even said you were sorry before the game was over. Remember, it was brought up cuz of the hit seen in the video, no other reason. And I agree, Tommy called for the catch a bit late...it wasnt the hit, it was the dancing. But you explained it well.

All is forgiven from me and Tommy's family, and I will tell anyone who brings it up that we talked about it. Thanks for clearing it up. And no, that wasnt me who yelled at you, that was the father of one of our linebackers...he got kicked out of the stadium!!! LOL

BTW...I have the video of it!!

neck_06
12-06-2006, 07:32 PM
In your defense, I understand you even said you were sorry before the game was over.

yeah, i talked to biddle at the captains meeting right before the second half....

wimbo_pro
12-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Biddle!!! hahahaha...it was HIS dad that was kicked out!

awizzy
12-06-2006, 07:35 PM
yeah, i talked to biddle at the captains meeting right before the second half....
was that the big guy

neck_06
12-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by awizzy
was that the big guy

they were all big, but yea he was the linebacker #52

wimbo_pro
12-06-2006, 07:36 PM
No, the "big guy" was Buck Burnett, on the line. Biddle was no slouch though, coming in at about 240 lbs.

awizzy
12-06-2006, 07:37 PM
they were all big, but yea he was the linebacker #52

well at least you didnt bring a softball player to tears in her last game

Emerson1
12-06-2006, 07:38 PM

Put it on youtube!

carter08
12-06-2006, 07:38 PM
No, the "big guy" was Buck Burnett,

That kid was HUGE.

neck_06
12-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Biddle!!! hahahaha...it was HIS dad that was kicked out!

was it really?!?!?!?! i'm going to have to ask jacob about that. if i ever talk to him again. sure that will get a good laugh.

neck_06
12-06-2006, 07:42 PM
well at least you didnt bring a softball player to tears in her last game

that was pretty funny, i thought that i was going to have to help out ian if he got jumped after that game.

awizzy
12-06-2006, 07:42 PM
that was pretty funny, i thought that i was going to have to help out ian if he got jumped after that game.
why i would let him get whooped

wimbo_pro
12-06-2006, 07:44 PM
What is the softball thing?

And I was with Jacob and his dad last week at the alamodome. Both doing well. His dad is a good guy, just got a little worked up. You shouldnt threaten any player, at any time. he knows that.

carter08
12-06-2006, 07:44 PM
why i would let him get whooped

Doesn't surprise me

wimbo_pro
12-06-2006, 07:46 PM
I dont know how to put it on YouTube, dont want to learn. If you give me an email, I'll send it to you....but it doesnt show the dancing part.

awizzy
12-06-2006, 07:49 PM
What is the softball thing?

And I was with Jacob and his dad last week at the alamodome. Both doing well. His dad is a good guy, just got a little worked up. You shouldnt threaten any player, at any time. he knows that.
softball in playoffs against devine i may have said a few funny things about the devine players and this other kids decides to scream them and during a timeout on the mound the center fielder sprints over at us and gets mad and tears up

neck_06
12-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Doesn't surprise me

what is that supposed to mean?

neck_06
12-06-2006, 07:55 PM

where did you get a video of it?

carter08
12-06-2006, 07:56 PM
what is that supposed to mean? i have no idea

wimbo_pro
12-06-2006, 07:57 PM
where did you get a video of it?

I am his uncle...i had 2 nephews on that team...my brother videos every game, i get clips.

neck_06
12-06-2006, 08:00 PM
I am his uncle...i had 2 nephews on that team...my brother videos every game, i get clips.

do you mind sending me the video........i haven't ever actually seen it, we didn't watch film after that game for obvious reasons.

wimbo_pro
12-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Sure...give me an email to send it to. I will check for others from that game.

awizzy
what is that supposed to mean?
whoa easy now dont forget carter is one big SOB

neck_06
Sure...give me an email to send it to. I will check for others from that game.

i know you prolly don't, but do you have the touchdown catch that i made that game? it was prolly one of the best catches of my career, but i have never seen it...

carter08
12-06-2006, 08:03 PM
i know you prolly don't, but do you have the touchdown catch that i made that game? it was prolly one of the best catches of my career, but i have never seen it...

That was a nice catch.
Although i was sitting in the stands
So i really shouldn't judge the catch
since i'm too lazy too play football

wimbo_pro
12-06-2006, 08:03 PM
It WAS a great catch...right before the half...you made it over our all state DB. GREAT catch.

neck_06
12-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by carter08
That was a nice catch.
Although i was sitting in the stands
So i really shouldn't judge the catch
since i'm too lazy too play football

ok............thanks, i guess.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-06-2006, 08:08 PM
ok............thanks, i guess.

You want to hoop tonight at the Rec @ 9:30?

wimbo_pro
12-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Hey BBDE!

neck_06
12-06-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
You want to hoop tonight at the Rec @ 9:30?

i can't tonight, i have to study for this dang math class! i HAVE to do good on the final.

hit me up later this week/weekend and i'll prolly be able to go.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-06-2006, 08:11 PM
i can't tonight, i have to study for this dang math class! i HAVE to do good on the final.

hit me up later this week/weekend and i'll prolly be able to go.

I've been studying all day, so I figured I deserved two or three hours hooping it up. I will definately hit you up later next week though.

wimbo_pro
12-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Neck...got 8 clips from that game...none of your catch, as you can imagine why!

neck_06
12-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Neck...got 8 clips from that game...none of your catch, as you can imagine why!

lol, its cool. i tried to get it from our coaching staff, but they said that there is a pole in the way. they said that me, the defender, and the ball all go behind the pole and then i come out with the ball. i guess i'll never get to see it.

wimbo_pro
12-06-2006, 08:17 PM
let me call my brother and see if he has it.

neck_06
12-06-2006, 08:17 PM
let me call my brother and see if he has it.

alright, thanks.

kaorder1999
12-06-2006, 08:31 PM
flag was warranted