PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's list of top 10 all time College QB's

CenTexSports
12-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Phil, are you crying today? I watched the show yesterday and VY was not in the top ten or the honorable mention (about 10 - 12 others).

My favorite, Roger the Doger, was #3. I guess I never thought about it but did you know that he was 29 before he took his first prastice snap as a professional. I am even more convinced that if he had played anywhere else but Navy that he would have been the best NFL QB of all time.

Old Tiger
12-06-2006, 03:18 PM
It's okay. We all know he was the greatest college QB :)

Phil C
12-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Who were the top 10 and honorable mention.

Roger wanted to go to ND but they turned him down much to their regret even though they had some good ones.

CenTexSports
12-06-2006, 03:49 PM
The top ten included:
Sammy Baugh
Matt Lienert
Roger #3
Tommy Fraiser (Nebraska) #2
The Manning family #1

g$$
12-06-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
The top ten included:
Sammy Baugh
Matt Lienert
Roger #3
Tommy Fraiser (Nebraska) #2
The Manning family #1

IMO, Vince Young has to be on any list naming all-time great college QBs. Neither Manning won squat in college. VY won 30 games in 3 years & a NC for goodness sakes.

Tommie Frazier deserves it, as do others. ESPN does some bogus lists anyway to fill air time.

Old Tiger
12-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Mannings = Overrated(except for Peyton)

big daddy russ
12-06-2006, 03:56 PM
I don't know if I'd put the Mannings above Frazier, or even Baugh for that matter.

Archie and Eli were great for Ole Miss, but the only one of the three who belongs in the "greatest ever" debate is Peyton, and I wouldn't even put him top five.

Collegefootballnews.com did a question about it earlier this year. I know Lienart was up there (IMO him and Vince are both top ten, right on the same level as one another), and Frazier was number one on most lists. Another recent guy that made this list was Ken Dorsey.

Another few names I'd throw out there just to get the topic humming would be Davey O'Brien, Charlie Ward, Paul Hornung (a QB during his days in South Bend), Doug Flutie, Danny Wuerffel, and Ty Detmer.

g$$
12-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I don't know if I'd put the Mannings above Frazier, or even Baugh for that matter.

Archie and Eli were great for Ole Miss, but the only one of the three who belongs in the "greatest ever" debate is Peyton, and I wouldn't even put him top five.

Collegefootballnews.com did a question about it earlier this year. I know Lienart was up there (IMO him and Vince are both top ten, right on the same level as one another), and Frazier was number one on most lists. Another recent guy that made this list was Ken Dorsey.

Another few names I'd throw out there just to get the topic humming would be Davey O'Brien, Charlie Ward, Paul Hornung (a QB during his days in South Bend), Doug Flutie, Danny Wuerffel, and Ty Detmer.

Always a man of reason Russ. Good stuff & agreed.

Peyton Manning was a fine college qb, & a better pro still looking to win a BIG game. Time will tell.

lostaussie
12-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Bucky Richardson is my hero:D

ASUFrisbeeStud
12-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Slingin Sammy Baugh was from Sweetwater. Whoohooo. But he did win a NC I believe, the only championship he didnt win was in high school.

g$$
12-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
Slingin Sammy Baugh was from Sweetwater. Whoohooo. But he did win a NC I believe, the only championship he didnt win was in high school.

And also the very 1st player inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Now that is good stuff.

Phil C
12-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud

I don't think he got an nc in college. He was on the team that lost the NC game to SMU in 1935. It was Davy O'Brien that won the NC at TCU in 1938. Sammy was already in the pros.

Phil C
12-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Link to the Aggies 2007 football schedule.

PLEASE!!

:mad:

:)

g$$
12-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I don't think he got an nc in college. He was on the team that lost the NC game to SMU in 1935. It was Davy O'Brien that won the NC at TCU in 1938. Sammy was already in the pros.

Didn't TCU win the NC (or some version of it) in 1937 & 1938? I thought they won 2 titles in the '30s.

Then Texas A&M won it in 1939 right?

Edit: per Phil
TCU won 1935 & 1938 NCs
so 2 titles in '30s

Phil C
12-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Didn't TCU win the NC (or some version of it) in 1937 & 1938? I thought they won 2 titles in the '30s.

The Texas A&M won it in 1939 right?

I will look up TCU's title. You bet A&M won it in 1939!

Phil C
12-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by g$$

The Texas A&M won it in 1939 right?

Right you are and I have to eat my words. In spite of losing to SMU in 1935 TCU did get voted a NC by Williamson. Sammy Baugh was on this team. SMU was voted NC by Dickerson and Houlgate polls. That year Minnesota was voted by NC by the most polls.

In 1936 AP started voting No. 1 and for years this one was the one that most people considered the NC poll.

In 1938 TCU won the AP and most other polls as NC and Sammy had already graduated and gone pro and they were lead by Danny O'Brien.

So TCU did get voted as NC twice in the 1930s.

Phil C
12-06-2006, 05:21 PM
In fact looking at the link below of the history of polls and their choice of NC is amazing. USC claims 1939 but I am surprised they don't try to claim 2002 where they were awarded it by Dunkel, Matthews, and Sagarin. I wouldn't be surprised if they claim this and say they are the only team to win 3 straight ncs. :)

Texas claims 4 of them 1963, 1969, 1970 & 2005 but on the link below we could (but won't) pull a USC and claim the following also.

1981 National Championship Foundation
1977 Berryman, FACT
1968 DeVold, Matthews, Sagarin
1941 Berryman, Williamson
1914 Billingsley

In fact looking over it Yale could claim 6 straight ncs! 1879 to 1884!

Of extra interest to the Aggies is that they were voted NCs also in 1919 by The National Championship Foundation.

This web site is worth visiting and you can come up with your analysis.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html

g$$
12-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Good stuff Phil, & great site. Thanks friend.

I may get a shirt that says 1919 & 1939 NC for the Ags!
Just kidding of course.

Phil C
12-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Good stuff Phil, & great site. Thanks friend.

I may get a shirt that says 1919 & 1939 NC for the Ags!
Just kidding of course.

I don't know. Go for it! :)

Phil C
12-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Hey g$$ the Aggies may have deserved it just as much as the other teams in 1919. The Aggies had a remarkable record during those years but in 1919 they had a perfect 9 - 0 season and no one scored a point on them. What a defense. Their three closest games were 10 - 0 over Baylor and 7 - 0 over both UT and Southwestern.

Eagles52
12-06-2006, 07:30 PM
If you listen to some Aggies, they'd have had Stephen McGee around 5 or so...:D

g$$
12-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Hey g$$ the Aggies may have deserved it just as much as the other teams in 1919. The Aggies had a remarkable record during those years but in 1919 they had a perfect 9 - 0 season and no one scored a point on them. What a defense. Their three closest games were 10 - 0 over Baylor and 7 - 0 over both UT and Southwestern.

That is some good info. Phil. I was unaware of the defensive dominance to that extent in 1919. I knew we had some good years between 1915-1940, then late '50s, then a resurgence starting in the mid '70s. There were some awful years as well. Anyway, thanks.

Phil C
12-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by g$$
That is some good info. Phil. I was unaware of the defensive dominance to that extent in 1919. I knew we had some good years between 1915-1940, then late '50s, then a resurgence starting in the mid '70s. There were some awful years as well. Anyway, thanks.

Looking over the history g$$ the Aggies from 1917 to 1920 were awesome. Of course what we have to remember is that at that time football in Texas wasn't respected by the rest of the country which was no doubt a big mistake.

The Aggies were 30-2-1 those four years with a perfect 8-0-0 record that year and they also were unscored on and scored 270 points on their opponents with the two closest games being 7 - 0 wins over UT and Baylor. In 1918 the Aggies had a 6-1-0 record and of course perfect in 1919 at 10-0-0. In 1920 The Aggies had a 6-1-1 record. A remarkable 4 years of football that had great defense.

Phil C
12-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Also what is remarkable during the Aggies four year period between 1917 is that they had thirty shutouts. They won 29 of the thirty shutouts and the tie in that period was a 0 - 0 tie. The most they gave was in the two loses that UT won from them in 1918 and 1920 by the same 7 - 0 scores. A remarkable defensive era indeed.

mchavez
12-07-2006, 12:42 PM
What is the link so everyone can chekc it out?

Phil C
12-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by mchavez
What is the link so everyone can chekc it out?

I am not too good at this mc but hopefully the link below will work.

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/byName.htm

mrescape43
12-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Tommy Frazier? :thinking:

Phil C
12-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Here is another great source originally provided to us by WOS87.

http://www.megspace.com/sports/texasorange/ncaafootballhistory/NCAA_Division_1-A.htm

mustang04
12-07-2006, 12:58 PM
sure he may not ever go down as a top great QB in the NFL...but in college....COME ON!! you can not deny what Vince Young accomplished...makes me sooo mad

g$$
12-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
Tommy Frazier? :thinking:

Certainly, not a good but a GREAT college QB. Nebraska won 2 NCs with him & killed people along the way in the early '90s (see Florida in NC game). Key word is college qb, not pro.

Frazier helped open doors in recruiting as well in the state of Florida for NU.

Thanks Phil, great stuff. Lots of info. I did not know until now.

BTEXDAD
12-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by g$$
IMO, Vince Young has to be on any list naming all-time great college QBs. Neither Manning won squat in college. VY won 30 games in 3 years & a NC for goodness sakes.

Tommie Frazier deserves it, as do others. ESPN does some bogus lists anyway to fill air time.

They had that honor roll about top ten rivalries in college football again this morn, g$$.
Auburn v alabama was number one which I understand is a really nasty one.

UT vs OK was number 5

There was an honorable mention of A&M v UT, as well as UCLA vs USC which didn't make top ten either.

Some you don't think much about were Lehigh vs lafayette (???) I don't even know where these schools are,but apparently it's a bitter rivalry. They were number 8
Number 7 was Grambling vs Southern. Apparently a few fights in the stands is common at this one.

TheDOCTORdre
12-07-2006, 02:56 PM
TOmmy Frazier was a man

g$$
12-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
They had that honor roll about top ten rivalries in college football again this morn, g$$.
Auburn v alabama was number one which I understand is a really nasty one.

UT vs OK was number 5

There was an honorable mention of A&M v UT, as well as UCLA vs USC which didn't make top ten either.

Some you don't think much about were Lehigh vs lafayette (???) I don't even know where these schools are,but apparently it's a bitter rivalry. They were number 8
Number 7 was Grambling vs Southern. Apparently a few fights in the stands is common at this one.

Army-Navy is huge too for the academies.

To be quite honest, & no offense to you, I don't put much stock in ESPN's lists. If Vince Young is not on their all time college qbs list, then that is enough for me. What else could he do? Drive the bus & comb Mack's hair? VY has to be on any list like that, period.

BTEXDAD
12-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Army-Navy is huge too for the academies.

To be quite honest, & no offense to you, I don't put much stock in ESPN's lists. If Vince Young is not on their all time college qbs list, then that is enough for me. What else could he do? Drive the bus & comb Mack's hair? VY has to be on any list like that, period.

No, the lists are fun to see, but they always have a few strange ones in it or omitted.
I tuned in late and am not positive about order of bottom 4 but I think it was
1 Alabama v Auburn (one former player said he saw a kid about 4 years old shooting the bird at him)
2 ohio st v michigan
3army v navy (they said wars are put on hold when game is on)
4 fla st vs miami (this one is only about 30 yrs old, but heated)
5 UT vs OK
6 USC v notre dame
7 grambling vs Southern U
8 Lehigh vs Lafayette
9 harvard vs yale
10 Fla vs georgia
As I said A&M vs UT not in top ten. Probably not as well known outside state as some others.
Also, I was surprised the UCLA vs USC game wasn't in top ten, as well as florida vs florida st, but I think they were actually limiting a team to only one rivalry.
all of the last three were honorable mention

Phil C
12-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Just don't take the EPPN's top ten or so list of anything too seriously. This is just their opinion and everyone has different opinions and one's is no better than anyone else's. Just fun for discussion and debate though and that is what they are for.

If you are a chess fan you should have seen what the great Bobby's Fischer had on his list of ten greatest chess players of all time in 1964 (I think). The great Dr. Emanuel Lasker wasn't even on it even though he was the world chess champion for 27 years!! :eek:

BTEXDAD
12-07-2006, 03:42 PM

If you are a chess fan you should have seen what the great Bobby's Fischer had on his list of ten greatest chess players of all time in 1964 (I think). The great Dr. Emanuel Lasker wasn't even on it even though he was the world chess champion for 27 years!! :eek:

I actually had a book by lasker that I read way back when I was into chess. It's hard to find anyone to play chess anymore, and everyone kicks my butt on video games, so I'm into Sudoku now.

Jason1725
12-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Mannings = Overrated(except for Peyton)

What has Peyton ever done? I mean he leaves the Vols and Tee Martin takes them to a championship, something Peyton couldn't do. He could never beat the Florida Gators and now is a spokesman for their drink, thats funny! If anything Peyton is more overrated than all of them. Watch he will choke in the playoffs AGAIN this year. He is the worst choker I have ever seen.

Txbroadcaster
12-07-2006, 07:50 PM
I have been reading all your comments...If I am not mistaken the first airing of this show was BEFORE LAst season and before Young's amazing season

Old Tiger
12-07-2006, 07:51 PM
look at the saying in my sig :)