PDA

View Full Version : Potential problems preventing a college football playoff

Adidas410s
12-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Every year this topic comes up...and it's getting even louder this year. I've had a few thoughts on potential problems that would arise from the commonly suggested 8-team playoff.

1. Do you give a bid to the Top 8 teams as determined by the BCS computer...or do you give an automatic bid to each conference winn and then include 2 at-large teams? Consider these scenarios...

Top 8 BCS teams
#1 Ohio State vs #8 Boise State
#2 Florida vs #7 Wisconsin
#3 Michigan vs #6 Louisville
#4 LSU vs #5 USC

This breaks down into 3 Big 10, 2 SEC, and 1 school from the Pac-10, Big East, and the WAC. Obviously, the Big 12 and ACC would never go for such a system.

Now, let's try it with the conference champs + 2 at large teams:

Automatic Bid system
#1 Ohio State vs #4 LSU (8 seed)
#2 Florida vs #3 Michigan (7 seed)
#5 USC (3 seed) vs #14 Wake Forest (6 seed)
#6 Louisville (4 seed) vs #10 Oklahoma (5 seed)

Because of the automatic bids...you would now be leaving out Top 9 ranked teams like #7 Wisconsin, #8 Boise State, and #9 Auburn...all of which are ranked ahead of two of the conference champs. This leads to the 2nd problem:

2. Conference commissioners will not agree to a system that takes away the guaranteed $13+ million payday from their conference. They will insist on on having the automatic bids. However, anytime a situation like this occurs where a team ranked outside of the top 8 (think 2004 Boston College at #23 as the Big East Champ) gets into the playoff...then numerous schools will cry foul and say that they're getting screwed.

3. What about Notre Dame??? They still refuse to join a conference in football. They still have the largest fan base in the country (and the largest anti-fan base too) and some sort of exemption has to be established for them. Do you give ND an automatic bid into the playoffs if they finish in the Top 8, Top 10, or Top 12??? Say they had finished #8 this year instead of Boise State. Then they would've gotten into the playoffs at 10-2 (with 2 BAD, BAD, BAD losses to USC and Michigan) while a #4 LSU and #7 Wisconsin would end up being left out of the playoff. So would we really be better off???

4. What about the non-major conferences?? Even the 8-team playoff that this year would've gotten Boise State in at #8 would still be complained about by these conferences. They already feel that they are at a disadvantage because of public perception and the fact that every year they will start much lower in the polls and their good wins will not move them up the polls and they will often find themselves jumped by a major school that may have 2 losses but goes out and gets a good win. This issue would still continue.

Solution
Obviously there is no perfect solution. However, I don't think that the 8 team playoff is the answer. I would propose taking on a system similar to that of Div 2 and Div 3. All 11 major conference champions get an automatic bid. You play a 10 + 1 season...with the +1 being aconference championship or a traditional non-conference rivalry games such as USC/ND, Army/Navy, etc If Notre Dame (or any other independent) finishes in the Top 16 in the BCS rankings...then they are given a bid. That now gets us to 12 teams. We then take the 12 highest ranked schools in the BCS rankings that do not have guaranteed bids...and they too are into the playoffs. We then break things down into the 4 region (as much as is possible) system that the lower conferences use. One "clause" is that two teams from the same conference CANNOT play each other in the 1st round of games. The top 2 teams in each bracket are given a bye into the 2nd round and they will host their 2nd round playoff games. The first 2 rounds of games are held at the home site of the higher seeded team. The 4 quarterfinal games are held at the premier Tier 2 bowls (Peach, Cotton, Holiday, and probably the Gator) The semifinal games are played at two of the 4 major bowls (Fiesta, Orange, Sugar, Rose) and then a championship AND third place game are played at the other two locations.

Under my system, this year's bracket would look something like this: http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1527/playoffbracketbw4.jpg

I did move a few teams around for travel purposes and tried to fit the 4 quarterfinal bowls as best as I could. The regions went as followed

Ohio State Bracket
1 - Ohio State
2 - Louisville
3 - Arkansas
4 - Rutgers
5 - BYU
6 - Troy St

LSU Bracket
1 - LSU
2 - USC
3 - Auburn
4 - West Virginia
5 - California
6 - Texas A&M

Florida Bracket
1 - Florida
2 - Wisconsin
3 - Notre Dame
4 - Wake Forest
5 - Texas
6 - Houston

Michigan Bracket
1 - Michigan
2 - Boise State
3 - Oklahoma
4 - Virginia Tech
5 - Tennessee
6 - Ohio

BTEXDAD
12-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

Under my system, this year's bracket would look something like this: http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1527/playoffbracketbw4.jpg

I did move a few teams around for travel purposes and tried to fit the 4 quarterfinal bowls as best as I could. The regions went as followed

Ohio State Bracket
1 - Ohio State
2 - Louisville
3 - Arkansas
4 - Rutgers
5 - BYU
6 - Troy St

LSU Bracket
1 - LSU
2 - USC
3 - Auburn
4 - West Virginia
5 - California
6 - Texas A&M

Florida Bracket
1 - Florida
2 - Wisconsin
3 - Notre Dame
4 - Wake Forest
5 - Texas
6 - Houston

Michigan Bracket
1 - Michigan
2 - Boise State
3 - Oklahoma
4 - Virginia Tech
5 - Tennessee
6 - Ohio

Sounds reasonable, adidas.
I don't really have a problem with current system. It's much better than what was used for over 50 years prior to BCS. But as a fan, the playoff makes more sense.

Plus with your suggestion, it would be more like the brackets in March Madness and I prefer betting by filling in brackets rather than just picking winners. :)

rangerjoe33
12-06-2006, 02:13 PM
I woud be more in favor of 16 teams getting to the play-offs

Adidas410s
12-06-2006, 02:16 PM
One of the biggest things that excited me was the potential early round matchups...

Cal @ WVU with the winner @ LSU

A&M @ Auburn with the winner @ USC

Texas possibly playing at Florida in the 2nd round

Those 3 right there would be a college fan's dream. Also, think what it would do for a program like a Wake Forest or a Boise State to be hosting a Texas or an Oklahoma??? That would go a long way towards improving recruiting at your school and building your fan base. Exciting times indeed! :)

Phil C
12-06-2006, 03:24 PM
It would work with the top 8 teams. Whoever goes goes whatever their conference. It would balance out in the long run as they say.

Old Tiger
12-06-2006, 03:27 PM
It requires the processing of thoughts and the use of intellectual abilities...nobody expects you to take part in the thread! It's simple. Take the top 4 BCS and put them into a playoff system. Use the rose bowl for 1 game and the Orange Bowl. Then have the National championship game at either the Sugar/Fiesta bowl. Switch it up year from year. Use the current system to set up the remaining bowl games so taht you are using a playoff format for the NC and the smaller teams still have their bowl games.

Adidas410s
12-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
It's simple. Take the top 4 BCS and put them into a playoff system. Use the rose bowl for 1 game and the Orange Bowl. Then have the National championship game at either the Sugar/Fiesta bowl. Switch it up year from year. Use the current system to set up the remaining bowl games so taht you are using a playoff format for the NC and the smaller teams still have their bowl games.

Any system that leaves out an automatic bid from each of the major conferences will never be approved.

Old Tiger
12-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Any system that leaves out an automatic bid from each of the major conferences will never be approved. Automatic bid is the dumbest thing. If they receive and automatic bid and not in the top 4 then why should they be considered in a tournament for a NC? This isn't college basketball where you can play 3 games in a week.

g$$
12-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Good stuff, well-thought out, & it all makes good sense.

You nailed it I believe. The $$ is the issue for conferences, etc. tied to the BCS. Wish NCAA would take notice too.

Adidas410s
12-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Automatic bid is the dumbest thing. If they receive and automatic bid and not in the top 4 then why should they be considered in a tournament for a NC? This isn't college basketball where you can play 3 games in a week.

Go back and read through my system before questioning the tournament concept. It would still fit within all of the current dates...there is nothing crazy like playing 3 games a week. Try reading before speaking Casey...come on now! ;)

You must understand WHY the automatic bid is in place. Auto bid into BCS game = $$$ for the conference. Having one team in a BCS game gives your conference twice as much money as the other 5 or 6 bowls you might send a team to. You get two teams in...then you're throwing a HUGE Super Bowl Party!!! :)

coiled2strike
12-06-2006, 03:34 PM
it looks great on paper, but i too think it's a bit long...i like the idea you have with a shorter regular season schedule...most waste the first 3 games on much weaker opponents anyway, so i say get to the conference games in week 2...then jump into your idea...BUT probably will not happen due to the current $$$ factor

g$$
12-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by coiled2strike
it looks great on paper, but i too think it's a bit long...i like the idea you have with a shorter regular season schedule...most waste the first 3 games on much weaker opponents anyway, so i say get to the conference games in week 2...then jump into your idea...BUT probably will not happen due to the current $$$ factor

Not going to happen like that if you lose home dates. For example, when A&M & Texas open the gates for a home game, they NET around $4 million. NET!! That is exactly why the current schedule is now 12 games (w/ 6 or 7 home games).

All about the $$ brother.

Adidas410s
12-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by coiled2strike

Yeah...the money is so great right now that it could be hard for anybody to want to change the system...especially when they don't know FOR SURE what it would be like in a new system. However, I think with 25 games (and 8 of them being major nationwide audience games) that you would likely get just as big of a TV contract (if not bigger since the current system is only 5 games) from one of the major networks.

g$$
12-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Yeah...the money is so great right now that it could be hard for anybody to want to change the system...especially when they don't know FOR SURE what it would be like in a new system. However, I think with 25 games (and 8 of them being major nationwide audience games) that you would likely get just as big of a TV contract (if not bigger since the current system is only 5 games) from one of the major networks.

Agreed, but as it is now there are more than 30 bowls (albeit lots of crappy ones). Convincing everybody to come on board will be the most difficult task.

Here's a saying in college athletics: "Basketball (March Madness, CBS tv contract) pays the bills & football drives the train."

Everybody gets a cut of the March Madness pie, while not everybody gets a cut of BCS $$. There is the problem right there.

tigerbyheart
12-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
Sounds reasonable, adidas.
I don't really have a problem with current system. It's much better than what was used for over 50 years prior to BCS. But as a fan, the playoff makes more sense.

Plus with your suggestion, it would be more like the brackets in March Madness and I prefer betting by filling in brackets rather than just picking winners. :)

I agree!!!!!!!!