PDA

View Full Version : Leach news!

Funk-d-fied
12-06-2006, 11:01 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4382228.html

kaorder1999
12-06-2006, 11:04 AM
thought so...like i said...i'll believe it when I see it. It's amazing how things can spread so quickly through the media. It is a possibility that Miami told him that the DC would stay on as the DC and he told them "see ya" and Miami doesn't want this to be the second person to turn down this "prestigious" job. Makes them look bad!!!

Funk-d-fied
12-06-2006, 11:09 AM
could be very true.... what do you think about the south florida thing?

kaorder1999
12-06-2006, 11:22 AM
is the South Florida job open? I read it as moving to south florida to take the Miami job.

Funk-d-fied
12-06-2006, 11:38 AM
yeah, thats what I meant, I guess I didnt make it to clear, my bad.

eagles_victory
12-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
is the South Florida job open? I read it as moving to south florida to take the Miami job. South Florida isnt open they just meant South Florida as in Miami

g$$
12-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
South Florida isnt open they just meant South Florida as in Miami

Florida International is open (the team Miami brawled with earlier). Don Strock (former pro QB) resigned after the season. So both of those teams involved in that sad event are looking for coaches.

wooden bear
12-06-2006, 11:45 AM
I would have loved to see Leach end up in Miami. With the atheletes they have there and his spread offense it would be fun to watch.

Funk-d-fied
12-06-2006, 11:47 AM
it would probably be like when the ol' ball coach (spurrier) was in his hayday at florida with wurfell and that offense.

kaorder1999
12-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
South Florida isnt open they just meant South Florida as in Miami

thats what you would think but should SOUTH be capitilized?

g$$
12-06-2006, 12:47 PM
thats what you would think but should SOUTH be capitilized?

Yes, grammatically it would be correct because it is a region of the country. Like Midwest, Southern California, South Texas, etc.

"We hunt in South Texas where the biggest deer are & furthest away from my girlfriend!" for example.

awizzy
12-06-2006, 01:11 PM
i think leach would be a good fit in miami but after what happend this year who would want 2

g$$
12-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Leach's personality does not fit Miami. He will end up on the West Coast IMO & maybe soon. He has a good contract at Tech though (ext. for $10 million over 5 yrs.).

coach
12-06-2006, 01:38 PM
leach needs to stay put not good enough for miami...maybe at oc but i dont like him there at head coach

Highschoolfan78
12-06-2006, 02:05 PM
i thought this was about a leach attack at the river bottom

kaorder1999
12-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Yes, grammatically it would be correct because it is a region of the country. Like Midwest, Southern California, South Texas, etc.

"We hunt in South Texas where the biggest deer are & furthest away from my girlfriend!" for example.

wrong....its grammatically INCORRECT...south should not be capitalized

kaorder1999
12-06-2006, 05:18 PM
I am moving to the South

I am moving to south Texas.

People from eastern Kentucky speak with southern accents.

The rule states: "Capitalize compass points when they refer to a specific region or when they are part of a proper name. Don't capitalize when they indicate direction. Capitalize northern, southern, eastern, and western when they refer to hemisphers and cultures.
Example: Climates are relatively mild in the Northern Hemisphere. People of Eastern cultures eat more seafood than those of Western cultures.

g$$
12-06-2006, 05:24 PM
I am moving to the South

I am moving to south Texas.

People from eastern Kentucky speak with southern accents.

The rule states: "Capitalize compass points when they refer to a specific region or when they are part of a proper name. Don't capitalize when they indicate direction. Capitalize northern, southern, eastern, and western when they refer to hemisphers and cultures.
Example: Climates are relatively mild in the Northern Hemisphere. People of Eastern cultures eat more seafood than those of Western cultures.

No sir, with all due respect you are wrong. You are confusing "directions" with "regions of the country". Re-read the rule again. It makes my point for me.

South Texas is referred to as a region
South Florida
Midwest
Northeast
etc.

Central Texas is often referred to as the Hill Country, for example.

Go west young man, now that is different!

kaorder1999
12-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by g$$
No sir, with all due respect you are wrong. You are confusing "directions" with "regions of the country". Re-read the rule again. It makes my point for me.

South Texas is referred to as a region
South Florida
Midwest
Northeast
etc.

Go west young man, now that is different!

SOUTH FLORIDA isn't recognized by any grammatical publication or handbook as an official "region". It's considered an "area".

g$$
12-06-2006, 05:29 PM
SOUTH FLORIDA isn't recognized by any grammatical publication or handbook as an official "region". It's considered an "area".

Then call the publisher. But that is the rule & why are you so bothered by this anyway?

Regions differ from directions. Basic stuff from grade school.

kaorder1999
12-06-2006, 05:34 PM
I copied word for word what I found in 4 different handbooks on grammar and style that I have in my classroom. I didn't have a problem with it but just thought it was odd that "South Florida" was capitalized. I wasn't trying to make it seem as if it were a big deal. It's just a discussion.

The Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Southwest, and the West are the only five recognized regions of the United States. All others are "areas".

WildTexan
12-06-2006, 05:38 PM
all I know is you can stop in West, Texas and git ya some of them kolaches thangs....

kaorder1999
12-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan
all I know is you can stop in West, Texas and git ya some of them kolaches thangs....

yeah you can...

Adidas4I0s
12-06-2006, 05:44 PM

Or you can stop in "West Texas" and get ya a fried allsups burrito! :thumbsup:

injuredinmelee
12-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Adidas4I0s
Or you can stop in "West Texas" and get ya a fried allsups burrito! :thumbsup:

ummmm allsups burrito

g$$
12-06-2006, 05:52 PM

You can buy other things there too. I played juco baseball at Hill JC & it was dry then (don't know now). I know that area!

Isn't Willie Nelson from Abbott, near West there on I-35? I think he is.

g$$
12-06-2006, 05:55 PM
I copied word for word what I found in 4 different handbooks on grammar and style that I have in my classroom. I didn't have a problem with it but just thought it was odd that "South Florida" was capitalized. I wasn't trying to make it seem as if it were a big deal. It's just a discussion.

The Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Southwest, and the West are the only five recognized regions of the United States. All others are "areas".

Maybe it is one of those commonly accepted things & the book does not recognize it. I have seen it capitalized a lot, just like South Beach is too referring to the party area of Miami.

kaorder1999
12-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Maybe it is one of those commonly accepted things & the book does not recognize it. I have seen it capitalized a lot, just like South Beach is too referring to the party area of Miami.

you are correct. When someone says South Beach they automatically recognize it as a specific location making it a proper name. Make sense? There are so many different wild possibilities when it comes to the English language. Try teaching high school age kids these rules and trying to make them understand them!

WildTexan
12-06-2006, 06:01 PM
the Allsup's gut grenade.....can make em land an airplane to check for fumes if ya eat those wonderful things a couple days before a trip......

g$$
12-06-2006, 06:02 PM
you are correct. When someone says South Beach they automatically recognize it as a specific location making it a proper name. Make sense?

Gotcha. Sounds like you & me both like English. I was always weird like that. I could teach English, but not math I promise you that, at least not upper levels. I took all the upper level math, but it took every bit of me to fight thru it. I am much better at English & rules.