PDA

View Full Version : Hot coaching rumors about Leach & Patterson...

g$$
12-06-2006, 08:28 AM
According to various news reports, Miami has cooled on Texas Tech's Mike Leach as their next head coach. Arizona State & Stanford have set up interviews with Leach too. He has ties to the West Coast & one of these may be a fit. Leach would fit just fine in the Pac 10, more finesse ball & lots of passing.

TCU's Gary Patterson has moved to the short list of candidates for the Miami job. Known as a discipliniarian & defensive coach, he fits what Miami is looking for in their new head coach. He might be required to hire a big name as OC though, like maybe Bernie Kosar (former Canes & pro QB of course).

Where Randy Shannon (current Miami DC) will end up is also a big question? Highly regarded & a minority, he should be in high demand. Maybe to Texas as new DC?

kaorder1999
12-06-2006, 09:19 AM
miami is fighting for him to remain on the Miami staff as the DC and that is going to keep someone great from taking this job

g$$
12-06-2006, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
miami is fighting for him to remain on the Miami staff as the DC and that is going to keep someone great from taking this job

Why not keep him? His track record says he can coach. Miami's defense has not been the problem. But most coaches want to bring their own staffs, etc. so you may be right.

Miami needs to upgrade their facilities to the new millenium too. Old Orange Bowl & their on-campus facilities all stink.

kaorder1999
12-06-2006, 09:26 AM
It is all about trust. You need and have to have someone that you know is going to be loyal and be "your guy". Just like in HS football, if the HC leaves and the current DC is trying to get the job and doesn't get it then it is usually best that they move on. Whoever does get the job can interview him and then figure out whether or not they would like to retain him but it shouldnt be something that has to be decided upon getting the job.

WildTexan
12-06-2006, 09:35 AM
no HC worth his salt gets told by some halfwit shalalalalala politico school president who he will or won't keep on his staff when taking over a high profile job....that was probably why Leach was looked at...he does not care about defense so he would not mind having the guy stay....

Word is Pete Carrol put in a good word at ArizSt for Norm Chow to get the gig, and that he has encouraged his staff to seek other jobs....he seems to know some big troubles with the NCAA are on the way over Reggie Bush and other issues from the past few years.....and Carrol is looking to jump back to the NFL after the season ends and some guys get fired....

Leach being connected to so many other jobs is going to kill his recruiting strength this year....

kaorder1999
12-06-2006, 09:37 AM
word I hear is that Leach actually was planning on hiring a former NFL DC as his DC and Miami pretty much insisted their current DC stay on staff as DC. Weird deal

Macarthur
12-06-2006, 09:49 AM
I think Arizona State would be a better fit for Leach.

g$$
12-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I think Arizona State would be a better fit for Leach.

Agreed, & don't blame him if he takes it. Where would you rather live too?

As for recruiting, Tech has ranked 40th over the past few years anyway if you believe Rivals' rankings (2002-2005) for national avg. of the classes. I take all rankings like that with a grain of salt, & Leach has done a good job at Tech. He will get players no matter where he ends up that fit his scheme. He needs a quality DC though & to run the ball a little better (remember Texas game twice?) to get over the hump IMO.

mrescape43
12-06-2006, 10:48 AM
I would hate to see Leach leave Tech but it will happen sooner or later. There is no telling how powerful his offense could be with the quality of the players he could recruit at Miami.

WildTexan
12-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Leach is rumored to be of interest to Stanford as well, and he would fit there to be closer to the beach...and a weird brainy guy fits right into their culture....

GreenMonster
12-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by mrescape43
I would hate to see Leach leave Tech but it will happen sooner or later. There is no telling how powerful his offense could be with the quality of the players he could recruit at Miami. Good Luck to all involved

Macarthur
12-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Looks like he's out at Miami, but supposed to have interviews at ASU & Stanford. I suspect he wants to get out west.

g$$
12-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Looks like he's out at Miami, but supposed to have interviews at ASU & Stanford. I suspect he wants to get out west.

Isn't that exactly what I posted to open this thread? I think he takes a job out West & gets back to his roots.