9 Rushes for 100 yards
2 touchdowns

Michael Washington, QB, Greenwood
34-10 win over Graham

Passing, 11-14, 174 yds, 1 TD
Rushing, 18-159 yds, 2 TDs

Ashton Whiteside, RB, Vernon
26-20 win over Snyder

Rushing, 23-206 yds, 3 TDs (accounted for all of Vernon's TDs)

Old Tiger
12-06-2006, 12:43 AM
Ramos

Darren
12-06-2006, 08:44 AM
By the stats it seems as though Ramos had the best game.

VERNONLION#1
12-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Aston also plays End on defense. 2-way starter. If I can get the stats defensively I will post them.

mrescape43
12-06-2006, 09:39 AM
Whiteside. In addition to rushing for over 200 yds (probably 140 after contact) he was all over the field on defense.

VERNONLION#1
12-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by VERNONLION#1
Aston also plays End on defense. 2-way starter. If I can get the sLions hold off Snyder, 26-20
By John Hasselmeier/For the Times Record News
December 5, 2006

LUBBOCK — Up until 3:12 was left in the game, Vernon defensive back Demetrias Murray had been having his ups and downs.

However, with 3:12 left he intercepted a Lance Day pass and the Lions ran out the clock from there to win a 26-20 Class 3A Division II regional playoff game over Snyder Saturday night at Lowrey Field.

Vernon, now 8-5, will take on Midland Greenwood, a 34-10 winner over Graham, in a quarterfinal game tentatively set for 2 p.m. Saturday at Shotwell Stadium in Abilene. Snyder finished 9-4.

The Lions had taken their 26-20 lead with 5:48 left on a 5-yard run by fullback Ashton Whiteside and subsequent extra point by Grant Schur.

Ryan Claxton then returned the ensuing kickoff to the Snyder 40. The Tigers picked up three first downs and appeared to have a first-and-goal situation after tailback Will Clay tore through for a first down.

A holding penalty nullified the play and pushed the Tigers back to the Vernon 27. Day then threw a long pass, which Murray intercepted at the Vernon 14.

"I’d been messing up on defense," Murray said. "I had to come up big. I saw him going back, so I just stepped up on defense. I felt it in my hands and I put my feet down to make sure I caught it."

Whiteside, who rushed 23 times for 206 yards, picked up a first down on a 7-yard run to ensure the victory.

"Coach had told us to step up and we stepped up," Whiteside said. "I don’t care how many yards I have, so long as we win."

The Lions watched Snyder put up the first 13 points of the contest. Snyder then appeared to be on the way to more points after Tiger defensive back Brent Bollinger intercepted Vernon quarterback Willliam Miller at the Snyder 28.

The tide started to turn Vernon’s way after that. The Lions forced a punt and were in the end zone two plays later on a 29-yard Whiteside run. Schur’s extra point made it 13-7 with 11:31 to go in the second period.

Lions defensive back Darien Williams got the ball back for Vernon six plays later when he recovered a Chase Arrendale fumble at the VHS 37.

Seven plays later, Whiteside scored from the 10. The conversion attempt was off the mark, but the Lions had tied the score at 13-13 with 5:16 left in the first half.

Schur gave Vernon the halftime lead when he kicked a 24-yard field goal on the final play of the half to make it 16-13. The Lions made it 19-13 early in the third period on a Schur 36-yard field goal.

Vernon held that lead until Clay scored on a 10-yard run following a fumble by Aaron Weitner on a punt return. Day added the extra point to put Snyder up 20-19 lead with 9:16 to play.

Whiteside scored all three of Vernon’s touchdowns. These came on runs of 28, 10 and 5 yards. Schur added field goals of 24 and 36 yards.

As for Snyder, Joe Carrizales, who rushed 13 times for 136 yards, scored on a 77-yard run. Chase Arrendale scored on an 8-yard run and Clay on a 10-yard run.
tats defensively I will post them.

Who-dun-it!!?
12-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Darren
By the stats it seems as though Ramos had the best game.

RAMOS is a great player, take nothing away from him, but consider the competition in these matchups. Washington is also a great player and had tuffer compitition against Graham. But Whiteside had the tuffest comp (imo), and still dominated.

I gotta go with the haus from V-Town.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-06-2006, 06:57 PM
All three are deserving athletes. Can't wait to get to see Washington play. I did see Aston Whiteside play and he really made a difference in the game. Snyder has a very tough defense. Whiteseide had 200 yards against them and I bet that is the most they have given up all year to a back. And of course not taking anything away from Graham either because they have a great defense too. So Washington earned every bit of his as well. Since I'm from Vernon, I voted for Whiteside.

I would tell all three to check out Hardin-Simmons University. Great college and great football program.

Technoredneck
12-06-2006, 10:18 PM
I had to cast my vote for for Whiteside. After seeing what he did running against the Snyder defense, he's the real deal, no question. That defense shut down both the other candidates. But I can't say that he did anything on defense that really caught my eye, kinda seemed to loaf a bit on that side of the ball.