PDA

View Full Version : Overconfidence will cost you games

Pudlugger
11-03-2003, 10:12 AM
There is no question about it, a team that is overconfident will not play up to its level. On the other hand, a team that is perceived by all as the underdog often plays over it's head. That is what happened to La Grange twice this season. First in the AlamoDome, in the first half of the Crystal City game, going 0-0 into the haftime break. In the third quarter the offense got sparked by a great endzone catch by #88 and went on a 41 point scoring spree, never looking back. In Giddings, the offense would play two or three good series get into the red zone and then just fall apart. The result was a game where the Leps dominated in total offense 300+ to 130 yards but lost by 2 points. Hutto is a team that loves to sneak up on overconfident opponents, so the Leps better have learned their lesson and go in there focused. When Hutto beat Giddings last week it should be a wake-up call to the Leps:play well or you will lose. I am confident that the coaches will make sure the Leps understand this.

I think the overconfidence bug has cost both Marlin and Bellville state championships last year. It is a big part of coaching to fine tune a team's attitude between confidence and concentration. You need both to win. :cool:

cunbed10
11-03-2003, 10:43 AM
You are so right, we had it, and Bellville got it after beating us, so Bulldogs, don't take Cameron lightly, because we still remember Bellville, lookin g past the Brahmas to Yoakum cost us last year.

Ranger Mom
11-03-2003, 10:53 AM
In Greenwood......been there, done that!! :rolleyes:

BigChamp05
11-03-2003, 12:16 PM
No offense to RangerMom, but i love being the underdog. That is the only way to go. You know what you can do, and nobody else expects it.

lepfan
11-03-2003, 12:17 PM
I agree BigChamp05!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-03-2003, 12:39 PM
It has happened to Port Isabel in a couple of games. Falfurrias, and Lyford.

BigChamp05
11-03-2003, 12:46 PM
Alot of the time, you can wake up and kick it into gear and still win it, but a few, i know of one from last year, its just too late. The other team gets confidence and there is nothing you can do.

District303aPastPlayer
11-03-2003, 01:20 PM
odd enough, sinton was the underdog going into district i believe... going 1-4 in the preseason and into district... i think they have overcome the "underdog" status...