PDA

View Full Version : D-III hoops team scores 201 in win

kaorder1999
12-05-2006, 11:12 AM
D-III hoops team scores 201 in win

SALEM, W.Va. (AP) -- Lincoln University set an NCAA division record for points in a game, beating Ohio Sate-Marion 201-78 Saturday.

Lincoln coach Garfield Yuille said he sent his team into the game with a talking to about how disappointed he was following a 90-79 loss to Salem International on Friday.

"I said you guys got to come out here and play like you know how to play," he said. "They were really mad that they lost yesterday."

They took out that anger on Ohio State-Marion.

The scoring record broke the Division III mark set in January 2005 by the University of Redlands, which scored 172 points on La Sierra College.

Lincoln (5-1) also a record for margin of victory and set and then broke an NCAA division record for points in a half. Lincoln scored 97 in the first half, then set a new record with 104 in the second half, sports information director Rob Knox said as he consulted a suddenly out-of-date record book. The old record was held by Redlands in the same drubbing of La Sierra.

Lincoln's Sami Wylie set a Division III record with 21 3-pointers. He finished with 69 points -- a school record.

Wylie was 23-of-44 from the field, 21-for-41 from a 3-point distance, and played 24 minutes in the consolation game of the Joe Manchin Memorial Basketball Classic at Salem International.

Wylie said his coach's pre-game talk inspired the performance.

"He like really got on us for the loss and I don't like it when my coaches get on me. So I had to take it out on the team that we were playing," Wylie said.

Yuille said the reality of the performance by Wylie and his team started to set in later in the game. He noticed they'd piled up more than 180 points when he turned to an assistant and started talking about Wylie breaking the record for 3-pointers. "I said this is crazy."

Dwight Dean added 33 points, 13 rebounds and 7 steals for Lincoln. Darryl White had 28 points and 9 rebounds.

Lincoln is the second college basketball team in history to break 200 points.

Yuille, however, said he was heading home to Pennsylvania dissatisfied with the weekend.

"I don't consider it successful. This makes up for the loss," he said. "We just get back to trying to play better defense."

Lincoln did play some defense: game stats show 48 steals to go with 62 OSU-Marion turnovers.

injuredinmelee
12-05-2006, 11:24 AM
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56274

kaorder1999
12-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56274

sorry to hurt your feelings by posting it again. People are so sensitive! :)

kaorder1999
12-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Those are actually different articles...so there was no need for telling everyone you had already posted about it. Unless you just feel the urge to let everyone know you "broke the news first". :)

kaorder1999
12-05-2006, 11:40 AM
im suprised there is nothing int he article about what the opposing coach though or anything about running up the score and being unsportsmanlike...

injuredinmelee
12-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Those are actually different articles...so there was no need for telling everyone you had already posted about it. Unless you just feel the urge to let everyone know you "broke the news first". :)

that wasnt my motivation at all by posting the link. I simply wanted to share what the otehrs that had talked about it before had said on the subject.

kaorder1999
12-05-2006, 12:20 PM
it was a joke!! the hurting your feelings part!