PDA

View Full Version : Mike leach will be named new HC at the U (merged)

Funk-d-fied
12-04-2006, 10:45 AM
http://www.asuwebdevil.com/issues/2006/12/04/sports/699163

Phil C
12-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Why would he leave Texas Tech to go to ASU? Or why would the Miami coach want to go there?

Adidas410s
12-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Interesting...but I don't see Leach leaving. He's got the perfect gig for him...it's low stress...moderate expectations...and an increasing recruiting base.

Maroon87
12-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Interesting...but I don't see Leach leaving. He's got the perfect gig for him...it's low stress...moderate expectations...and an increasing recruiting base.

No joke...you can go 8-3 every year and no one will bother you.

kaorder1999
12-04-2006, 10:49 AM
money talks

Adidas410s
12-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
No joke...you can go 8-3 every year and no one will bother you.

as long as he a) doesn't lose to Baylor (hasn't happened) b) can continue to beat Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and/or Texas every season and c) provide random sound bites that keep everybody in Lubbock off balance...yet wanting more! ;)

Funk-d-fied
12-04-2006, 10:52 AM
I think he might want to start trying to win a championship of some sort, and that is not going to happen at Tceh. They have a good team and put up huge numbers but they will never win a championship and I think he knows that.

Black_Magic
12-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Leach has done a great job at tech considering Tech does not get the top notch recruits around the country. He would be a good catch for any program.

Funk-d-fied
12-04-2006, 11:41 AM
yeah, he has a great offensive mind, alot of schools want that.

Funk-d-fied
12-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Mike Leach Contacted by Miami

Canesport.com is reporting Miami has contacted Texas Tech HC Mike Leach for an interview, confirming what we reported on Thursday that Leach appeared to be the leading candidate. ESPN.com's Joe Schad reports Friday that Greg Schiano has cooled on the Miami job. We have reported for two weeks here that Schiano was unlikely to leave Rutgers for Miami especially with Joe Paterno likely coaching only a few more seasons at Penn State.

Leach would be a good choice for Miami. He has done very well in Lubbock with second tier talent, and his offensive scheme would certainly help recruiting and putting fans in the stands for UM.

Txbroadcaster
12-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Everyone says TTech has low expectations, but at SOME POINT they will want more than 8-3 and a lower tier bowl, so the expectations will rise

mwynn05
12-04-2006, 12:53 PM
I don't really like Leach but i think he would be a GREAT fit at the U

KTJ
12-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Don't know if South Beach can handle the hilarity of Mike Leach.

But his offensive scheme plus a great defense (which he'd get at Miami) could be the thing that would put UM back in the NC picture.

However, Leach isn't doing THAT bad at Tech. He pwns A&M and always gives Texas a fight. I think this year was a down year, of course. But next year, they should be pretty good. They get both OU and A&M at home and I don't think their non-conference schedule is that bad.

g$$
12-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Leach has done a good job at Tech. I think he will listen & get another contract extension/raise from Tech in the end. He does pretty well with what he has at Tech, & they love him in Lubock.

He will always win some games with his offensive scheme. But until Tech can run the ball a little bit & play better defense, they will just be another "good" team nobody wants to play. Esp. in a bowl when you don't see it much & have a few weeks to prepare.

WildTexan
12-04-2006, 01:44 PM
The key to that story was Leach and his offense along with paying up for a top Def Coordinator.....TAKE NOTE Tech....buy a top DC and let him make his own staff, and Tech will be a player in the picture.....the offensive scheme is mostly working, and with a top Defense, the recruits would improve on both sides of the ball....

They already next year will have better QBs on the team than any Big12 team, and the WRs are already experienced and sound.....with a solid top 10 defense, he'd get better OLs as well and boom, Tech is a player for titles....but alas, Myers won't pony up for a DC when he keeps having to pay off Leach to stay, and I think the overall job of AD is more than Myers was built to handle....

Adidas410s
12-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan
The key to that story was Leach and his offense along with paying up for a top Def Coordinator.....TAKE NOTE Tech....buy a top DC and let him make his own staff, and Tech will be a player in the picture.....the offensive scheme is mostly working, and with a top Defense, the recruits would improve on both sides of the ball....

They already next year will have better QBs on the team than any Big12 team, and the WRs are already experienced and sound.....with a solid top 10 defense, he'd get better OLs as well and boom, Tech is a player for titles....but alas, Myers won't pony up for a DC when he keeps having to pay off Leach to stay, and I think the overall job of AD is more than Myers was built to handle....

Bringing in a top notch DC would be great...but it won't happen. They'll have to find somebody at a mid-level school that would view Texas Tech as a step up. You won't see a Pelini or Chizik type leave an LSU or Auburn to go to Tech as there is no promise of the HC leaving in the near future.

I think the biggest attraction to Leach about Miami is the top notch offensive talent that he would have. He wouldn't have these games where the OL performance is weak, the receivers drop 10 balls (see TCU), etc. Then again...he's already making $1.6 mil/yr in Lubbock and it would average out to $2 mil/yr if he stays through 2010. I just don't see him leaving...but crazier things have happened.

Macarthur
12-04-2006, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

Keep in mind he is not from West Texas. Those that are not from there really don't see that as a destination. Also, don't forget the pressures he may be getting from the wife. I don't know, but I can't imagine she wants to live in Lubbock forever. And don't underestimate the pull that the desert has. Everyone I know that has been there loves that area.

Old Tiger
12-05-2006, 12:58 AM
It is rumored that Texas Tech coach Mike Leach is #1 candidate for the Miami job.

Txbroadcaster
12-05-2006, 01:09 AM
yea been posted a couple time...PADDER

football4life
12-05-2006, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
yea been posted a couple time...PADDER

yea, padder! but seriously, i think this is pretty interesting. i would like to see it happen, just for the heck of it. talk about entertaining...

pirate4state
12-05-2006, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
yea been posted a couple time...PADDER :thinking: I have seen this before? :thinking:

eagles_victory
12-05-2006, 02:09 AM
what people dont realize about Tech is they either score so fast or turn it over or punt quickly they have a lot of quick possesions. It is hard for a defense to hold another team to 14 or 21 points a game when they face the opposing offense on so many possesions and the other team is working with a short field part of the time because the way the Tech offense works. No matter how much defensive talent you have or how good your DC is its still going to be hard to hold opposing offenses down.

Old Tiger
12-05-2006, 02:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJDB2qomVlA

Funk-d-fied
12-05-2006, 10:36 AM
by tomorrow. according to the lubbock avalanche journal. Leach and the U met up in NYC yesterday.

kaorder1999
12-05-2006, 10:38 AM
i'll believe that when I see it.

Funk-d-fied
12-05-2006, 10:42 AM
http://www.redraiders.com/stories/120506/foo_120506011.shtml

kaorder1999
12-05-2006, 10:45 AM
but where does it say he will be named the head coach at Miami as early as tomorrow?

Funk-d-fied
12-05-2006, 10:47 AM
just be patient my friend, I will do some digging for you.... be patient.

kaorder1999
12-05-2006, 10:48 AM
ok...just thought that when you posted that article it was to support what you were saying...i was confused

Funk-d-fied
12-05-2006, 10:49 AM
On a radio show LAJ writer and a leader in reporting on the raiders Don Williams said he expected Leach to be named coach of the U by wednesday. He has been responsible for breaking top raiders news for years.

Funk-d-fied
12-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Here's another link....

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/colleges/university_of_miami/16165596.htm

luvhoops34
12-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Good riddance to Mike Leach. I can't believe Miami would want him. Now maybe Tech can get a decent coach!

lostaussie
12-05-2006, 11:28 AM
I'm glad he's leaving. Tired of him kicking A&M's tail every year:D

TexanAlum_06
12-05-2006, 01:03 PM
I dont know why Leach wouldnt want this job. outstanding talent at the skill positions. 18 starters returning for next season. a good defense. enough talent to win a NC given the right coaching and schedule... BUT.... he will be required to win ball games... a lot of them and contend for the ACC championship year in year out. and thats one thing he has never been required to do in the Big 12.... It's like when Les Miles went to LSU.... it was understood that he better not lose more then 1 maybe 2 ball games because there is too much talent there to lose 2 or 3 football games a year. same goes for Miami. I guess if Leach takes this job we will find out how good of a coach he really is....

g$$
12-05-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by TexanAlum_06
I dont know why Leach wouldnt want this job. outstanding talent at the skill positions. 18 starters returning for next season. a good defense. enough talent to win a NC given the right coaching and schedule... BUT.... he will be required to win ball games... a lot of them and contend for the ACC championship year in year out. and thats one thing he has never been required to do in the Big 12.... It's like when Les Miles went to LSU.... it was understood that he better not lose more then 1 maybe 2 ball games because there is too much talent there to lose 2 or 3 football games a year. same goes for Miami. I guess if Leach takes this job we will find out how good of a coach he really is....

Leach will have discipline issues if he takes this job. Leach is a laid back guy & those South Florida boys will run all over him IMO. Tech has had some discipline issues (shooting, brawl, etc.) & they lead the conference in penalties too.

I don't think this is a good fit at all, but not sad to see him go. Is Briles from UH the leading candidate to replace him (West TX boy, former Tech asst. coach, Stephenville, etc.)?

Adidas410s
12-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Leach will have discipline issues if he takes this job. Leach is a laid back guy & those South Florida boys will run all over him IMO. Tech has had some discipline issues (shooting, brawl, etc.) & they lead the conference in penalties too.

I don't think this is a good fit at all, but not sad to see him go. Is Briles from UH the leading candidate to replace him (West TX boy, former Tech asst. coach, Stephenville, etc.)?

I sure hope that Briles would be the leading candidate. He'll bring an energetic offensive scheme, he's familiar with Lubbock and Tech, is well established with HS coaches, and will come at a cheap enough price that hopefully will allow the program to get a top notch DC.

GWOOD
12-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Yes, Leach will have discipline issues in the game. Outside the game, he is quick to sit guys out or kick them off the team. But he doesn't really care about the personal foul penalties that Tech gets that often shoots them in the foot. I think he likes his team to be extremely aggressive even if it ends up giving the other team a free 15 yards. If he goes to Miami look for continued "in your face" style of play and lots and lots of personal fouls.

g$$
12-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
Yes, Leach will have discipline issues in the game. Outside the game, he is quick to sit guys out or kick them off the team. But he doesn't really care about the personal foul penalties that Tech gets that often shoots them in the foot. I think he likes his team to be extremely aggressive even if it ends up giving the other team a free 15 yards. If he goes to Miami look for continued "in your face" style of play and lots and lots of personal fouls.

So, what you are saying is Thug U's image will not change if he does indeed take this job right? Not a good fit. Miami needs a complete overhaul to change the image of years gone by.

Barry Alvarez would be great hire to me. Veteran coach & runs a tight ship too.

Leach should stay at Tech IMO (& I am an Aggie too!)

JasperDog94
12-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
If he goes to Miami look for continued "in your face" style of play and lots and lots of personal fouls. So what you are saying is that Miami will still be Miami?:doh: