PDA

View Full Version : Everman-Lawton Ike Preview

Matthew328
09-10-2003, 11:15 AM
Everman (1-0) vs Lawton Eisenhower (1-0)
Saturday 2:00 Cameron University Stadium, Lawton
Overall Series: Everman leads 1-0
Last Year: Everman 43 Lawton Ike 32

Players to Watch: Everman WR Tim Jackson, TB Marcus Jamison, DT Brian Jones
Lawton Ike TB DJ Wolfe, WR Marcus Henry, QB Kyle Thornton

About Everman: The Bulldogs took care of FW Eastern Hills easily last week 34-0...Jackson was everywhere for Everman he had 5 carries for 34 yards and a TD and caught 4 passes for 78 yards and 2 TD's...Jamison had 130 yards on 12 carries and 2 TD's...the Everman D was strong but will get tested this week against a big Ike O-Line and a stud TB..

About Ike: Wolfe had 185 yards and 2 TD's and Thornton threw for 3 TD passes as Ike blew past arch-rival Lawton High 44-15 last week...Henry was the recipient of one of Thornton's TD passes as he caught a 71 yard bomb..Ike is rated as high as number 4 in Oklahoma 6A polls and is top 10 in just about every major Oklahoma poll..

Overall: Both teams feature big play offenses and very strong defenses..the big matchup will be if Everman's D-Line which has 3 possible Division 1 players can slow down Wolfe who is an Oklahoma oral committ and the big Ike O-Line..Ike likes to spread people out and then run Wolfe...Everman has been successful against those teams..however the deck is stacked against the Bulldogs...a long trip, playing by a different set of rules, not to mention the fact that Ike is a darn good team..I gotta take the Ike Eagles by 6...

JMEN84
09-10-2003, 12:20 PM
I respect your opinion, but lets hope for the best. Do you know how good of a team Lawton High is and how do the Dogs compare to that team? Just trying to get a feel on how good of a team Ike beat. None the less, I think were in for a great game. See you there....

TuM-TuM68
09-10-2003, 09:54 PM
everman...

Matthew328
09-11-2003, 07:24 AM
Lawton High was supposed to be down some this year....I expected Ike to beat on em pretty good...Ike returns a lot of players from last year's team...last year we had no answer for DJ Wolfe..granted that game was before we changed the defense up some..but I am worried we may not be able to slow him down..plus with the rule of no blocking below the waist I fear penalties killing some drives..I hear this happens quite often when Texas teams play Oklahoma teams in Oklahoma..

bulldog65
09-11-2003, 07:42 AM
"Fort Worth Everman 24, EISENHOWER 14 — Everman has, from everything I’ve heard, the complete package. The Eagles are close, but not there."

Got this from Lawton newspaper, I hope this guy is right.

Matthew328
09-12-2003, 07:09 AM
I hope he's right also..

Matthew328
09-12-2003, 07:12 AM
Hmm I didn't see the preview on the Lawton newpaper website.....

bulldog65
09-12-2003, 01:53 PM
They took it off. If you click on 9/10 Sports Archive all you get is the headline of High School picks, you have to pay if you want to see the whole article now. I just happened to look when it was current.

everman_guy
09-12-2003, 03:49 PM
Matthew that quote that is in this thread was all that was in that article.

bulldog65
09-13-2003, 09:13 AM
Here is the latest from today's Lawton Newspaper.

Eagles entertain Everman in Texas-Oklahoma battle

"Bill Whiteley had forgotten how bad Eisenhower High School’s defense had looked last year against Fort Worth Everman. But for some reason last Sunday, some one pulled out the tape of that game and the horrible memories came flooding back.

"That was probably the worst tackling football by an Eisenhower football team that I’ve ever witnessed," said Whiteley, whose squad dropped a 43-22 decision last year to the Lone Star state’s two-time Class 3A defending state champion. It was pathetic. I really forgot how bad it was until we pulled out the film Sunday and started watching it again. It was pitiful. We did not tackle anything last year."

The Eagles will get one more shot at the Bulldogs when the two schools square off in a rare 2 p.m. kickoff this afternoon at Cameron Stadium.

Both teams are coming off impressive season-opening wins. Ike jumped on crosstown rival Lawton High early and often en route to a 44-15 win. The ’Dogs had little trouble, rolling past Fort Worth Eastern Hills, 34-0.

"They are probably one of the most athletic high school football teams that I’ve ever seen," Whiteley said of the Bulldogs. "They are about as good as you can get as far as talent wise. They are big, strong and physical up front both on offense and defense.

"To me, our biggest asset in the past has been our speed. That’s what has given us the opportunity to beat other schools because we’re usually faster than those people. We had opportunities to take advantage of our speed. But they (Bulldogs) are just as fast as we are."

That said, the game, Whiteley says, will be won on the line.

"With these guys we’re going to have control the line of scrimmage, some way, some how," said Whiteley. "We’re going to have to run between the tackles to be able to get outside. They dare you to run to the out there on sweeps because they run you down. Whoever controls that part of the game will have the opportunity to win."

Defensively up front, the Bulldogs have what Whiteley terms as "unbelievable" talent. Led by 6-4, 270-pound defensive end Brian Jones, a definite Division I prospect, the Bulldogs average close to 235 pounds.

Offensively Everman will look to 180-pound junior tailback Marcus Jamison, who rushed for 128 yards and two TDs last week, and 170-pound senior quarter Nelman Bush. Bush only passed seven times last week, but completed five of those and two were for TDs.

On the bright side for the Eagles, Raymond Woods returns to the lineup. The fullback-linebacker injured a knee the second game of his junior year two years ago and was given a hardship ruling.

"He adds a lot to our offense," said Whiteley of the 6-2, 205-pound senior. "He can go at fullback or also at I-back."

Rabbit'93
09-13-2003, 10:08 AM
Good luck Bulldogs. Show'em what Texas boys can do.