PDA

View Full Version : Cotulla?

Gsquared
12-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Anybody seen them or know anything about the Cowboys?

Phil C
12-04-2006, 03:41 PM
I have stayed there a few times in the past. It has been years ago though. They have several good eating places there and the motel is nice. They had a fantastic band there too. Their high school band has won many awards. I remember about 14 years ago I was auditing the Appraisal District there and they shared an office with the Cotula ISD and I heard some great band music and I commented on how great they were and imagine my surprise when I was told it was the Junior High Band!! :eek: They were better than a lot of high school bands. An astonishing day indeed!

That afternoon I finished up and got in my truck and headed back to Sinton.

Adidas410s
12-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
That afternoon I finished up and got in my truck and headed back to Sinton.

There is nothing better than a good Phil story on a Monday afternoon! :)

footballgal
12-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Anybody seen them or know anything about the Cowboys?

One of the best places for deer hunting

They are 12-1 and were in 3A last year with Devine Hondo, district. Have a good running game with a tough hard hitting, defense and a stud at QB. But yes I know, Tatum is unbeatable.

Adidas410s
12-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
But yes I know, Tatum is unbeatable.

They're not Gilmer unbeatable!!! :mad:

footballgal
12-04-2006, 04:14 PM
I am hoping they are Gilmer unbeatable. :D

CenTexSports
12-04-2006, 04:16 PM
One of the guys that works for me went to the Hearne game last weekend. He said they played a hard nose running style offense but they did not have a lot of speed or size.

lostaussie
12-04-2006, 04:16 PM
aren't they in what is considered the Golden Triangle. I should get to be friends with some of those Cotulla Cowboys. Maybe I will go and sit on Tatum's side. That should bring them back to reality!!!!!!!

Adidas410s
12-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
aren't they in what is considered the Golden Triangle. I should get to be friends with some of those Cotulla Cowboys. Maybe I will go and sit on Tatum's side. That should bring them back to reality!!!!!!!

Cotulla is on I 35 south of San Antonio. I thought the Golden Triangle area was by Houston...

Phil C
12-04-2006, 04:21 PM
A lot of people come to Cotula for hunting indeed during hunting season.

President Lyndon B. Johnson taught school there in 1928-29.
I have seen the school where he taught.

Also in the old western movie San Antonio the first part of the movie they leave Laredo on the stage to San Antonio and they have an overnight stop in Cotula. There Errol Flynn is forced in a shootout with another man and Flynn has to shot him. A good movie worth watching. The next day they get on the stage and go on to San Antonio.

footballgal
12-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Opps sorry, did I offend you? I didn't understand the reaction, until I saw where you were from. BTW, don't take it out on them, I am the one who said it, they don't even post here. Yeap Phill is right, alot of history in Cotulla. Thinking about it they have made history this football season too. Good enough to make a movie out of it. :)

lostaussie
12-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Ops sorry, did I offend you? I didn't understand the reaction, until I saw where you were from. BTW, don't take it out on them, I am the one who said it. They don't even post here or any where else. you didn't offend me whatsoever. I'm a big hunter and familiar with all the big name hunting towns in your area. the question I asked about the Golden Triangle was a real question. the comment I made about sitting on Tatums side was in reference to the fact That all 5 playoff games that I have attended this year, i have sat on the losers side. therefore sitting on Tatums side might bring Cotulla a little luck!!!!!!!!

Adidas410s
12-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Opps sorry, did I offend you? I didn't understand the reaction, until I saw where you were from. BTW, don't take it out on them, I am the one who said it, they don't even post here. Yeap Phill is right, alot of history in Cotulla. Thinking about it they have made history this football season too. Good enough to make a movie out of it. :)

I think he's saying he'll bring down Tatum by sitting on their side since he was on the Gilmer side when they lost...it's kinda like the GSquared curse...only not as bad! ;)

footballgal
12-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Oh ok, yes please do sit on their side, it would be much appreciated. If it works out, maybe I will have someone hook you up with a deer hunting trip. :D

lostaussie
12-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Oh ok, yes please do sit on their side, it would be much appreciated. If it works out, maybe I will have someone hook you up with a deer hunting trip. :D for a good deer hunting trip I would poisen their pre-game meal:thumbsup:

Phil C
12-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Hey Ad a lot of people come down to Freer to hunt too. They get up very early in the morning. By noon they are usually back in town finished with their hunting for the day.

IHS Fan
12-04-2006, 04:45 PM
deer in freer=muy grande

footballgal
12-04-2006, 04:46 PM
Yeap, Webb County also good for hunters, but bad for deer.

halfnhalf
12-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Cotulla: Home of the wild hog cook off in March. One of the best times anyone could have with some of the best bbq on this planet. Somewhere everyone needs to go once or twice.

Pudlugger
12-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by halfnhalf
Cotulla: Home of the wild hog cook off in March. One of the best times anyone could have with some of the best bbq on this planet. Somewhere everyone needs to go once or twice.

My best buddy from high school (and my best man) did a Vista gig in Cotulla in 1968. [Vista was president Kenedy's domestic equivalent of the Peace Corps for you younguns out there] He lived within the poor hispanic community and helped with various community and agricultural issues. Mostly though he just drank a lot of beer with the locals and learned a great deal about life. If you ever saw the wonderful movie Malagra Bean Field, well that was a lot like Cotulla in 1968.
Bob and I used to do a lot of hunting and plinking out in So Cal before the place went totally suburban when we were 17 and he had this really accurate old Marlin 22 auto that he bought for 20 bucks used. I always liked that rifle. He gave it to a man who he befriended in Cotulla. He was a poor dirt farming hispanic man who needed it for cayotes who would come around and attack his goats. Someone stole his old pistol and he really needed it. I always thought that was a better use of that old gun than selling it to me.
It is good to hear that this little community is producing fine football players 40 years latter. Maybe Bob had a little bit to do with that? Who knows, but a little good work can make a difference over the years.

footballgal
12-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Very nice and interesting stories Pudlugger. BTW, I am still waiting to hear the story about the La Grange song. :)

Pudlugger
12-04-2006, 08:51 PM
The ZZ Top's band that cut La Grange grew up in Ammansville a little town south of LG. The song put LG on the map as did the play "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas". The Lutherans and Baptists would like to forget this though as this community is a very family oriented and rightous little town. But...a lot of money flowed in here back in the day...along with some chickens I am told.:D

Gsquared
12-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
The ZZ Top's band that cut La Grange grew up in Ammansville a little town south of LG. The song put LG on the map as did the play "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas". The Lutherans and Baptists would like to forget this though as this community is a very family oriented and rightous little town. But...a lot of money flowed in here back in the day...along with some chickens I am told.:D
Mmmm. chicken ranch, Dennis Hoff outta have a crack at re opening that place ;)

CheerMom
12-04-2006, 09:38 PM

They are 12-1 and were in 3A last year with Devine Hondo, district. Have a good running game with a tough hard hitting, defense and a stud at QB. But yes I know, Tatum is unbeatable.

Everybody is beatable. I'm looking for an upset. Maybe Gsquared will show up and put the curse on Tatum, again!!:p

Gsquared
12-04-2006, 09:50 PM
I dont know if this was the curse or not, but, I sat on the Tatum side when they played Gilmer. Im sitting on the home side at WISD Saturday, so, whoever is home...

Matthew328
12-04-2006, 10:01 PM
G2 are you following me or something?? I'll be there for both Saturday games....

Tatum rolls.....

Gsquared
12-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
G2 are you following me or something?? I'll be there for both Saturday games....

Tatum rolls.....
Yeah, almost like your draggin sirloins on your bumper, im just follwin. Tryin to freeload wherever I can.

footballgal
12-04-2006, 10:13 PM
I dont know if this was the curse or not, but, I sat on the Tatum side when they played Gilmer. Im sitting on the home side at WISD Saturday, so, whoever is home...

Yes! :clap: ... that's Tatum side. :D

Gsquared
12-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Yes! :clap: ... that's Tatum side. :D
You know, a free dill pickle would probably keep me on the Tatum side. Just a thought.

footballgal
12-04-2006, 10:19 PM
You know, a free dill pickle would probably keep me on the Tatum side. Just a thought. If that's the case, I will send a jar of crispy dill pickles your way.:)

BTW, I am so jealous, that you get to go to the game. Win or loose, I would like to go this weekend to Waco ... but I don't think we go anywhere this weekend, 'till next weekend and maybe then it will be too late. :(

halfnhalf
12-04-2006, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Pretty funny how the one thing La Grange is known nationwide for is a bordello.

Gsquared
12-05-2006, 07:50 AM
mmm, bordello

Fotbol
12-05-2006, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
One of the guys that works for me went to the Hearne game last weekend. He said they played a hard nose running style offense but they did not have a lot of speed or size.
Well if they don't have speed, they will be chasing it all night long, Please believe me :wave: :crying:

duckbutter
12-05-2006, 10:51 AM
I saw them play Marlin last week and cunbed is right, they are very fast. Creer is one of the best backs I have ever seen at any level of hs football, big, fast, physical and smart. Tatum only plays with about 14 kids and if you can slow Creer down you have a shot a winning. Their D-line is not very good but their secondary makes up for it by being fast and physical. IMO it will take a passing type team to beat them by keeping the secondary honest and chewing up the clock with short but effective passes mixed in with some running.
Tatum with Creer= state title
Tatum without Creer= the house

Gsquared
12-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by duckbutter
I saw them play Marlin last week and cunbed is right, they are very fast. Creer is one of the best backs I have ever seen at any level of hs football, big, fast, physical and smart. Tatum only plays with about 14 kids and if you can slow Creer down you have a shot a winning. Their D-line is not very good but their secondary makes up for it by being fast and physical. IMO it will take a passing type team to beat them by keeping the secondary honest and chewing up the clock with short but effective passes mixed in with some running.
Tatum with Creer= state title
Tatum without Creer= the house
Creer is the real deal!

duckbutter
12-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Yes he is. Got to meet one of the UT coaches that was there trying to sweet talk Creer after the game.

Matthew328
12-05-2006, 06:18 PM
I saw some of the threads on sasports.com

I don't think some of the Cotulla fans have any idea what they are getting into Saturday night..

footballgal
12-06-2006, 10:03 AM
I saw some of the threads on sasports.com

I don't think some of the Cotulla fans have any idea what they are getting into Saturday night..

Yes they do, especially the ones that matter-the players, they have seen the film and know about the speed of Creer/WR and others and respect Tatums speed. I think they still have a chance by playing ball control. Sometimes having a good defense game also means, keeping their offense off the field. They also are a VERY diciplined team, that hardly make mistakes, that Coach Booker will have them prepared regardless.

g$$
12-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Cotulla is on I 35 south of San Antonio. I thought the Golden Triangle area was by Houston...

Golden Triangle is 90 miles east of Houston consisting of Beaumont - Port Arthur - Orange. Lots of refineries, etc. & love their sports.

Cotulla is known for deer hunting. My buddy Eric Garner (Phil Garner's son) managed a ranch down there for years & now does the same in LaPryor. Unbelievable deer down there for sure. Once you go hunting in South Texas, nothing in Texas compares.

Cotulla is a nice community, but size & speed are both going to be a problem once they face teams from other regions. This week vs. Tatum, I predict it gets ugly fast. They have seen nothing approaching L. Creer of Tatum.

Gsquared
12-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Golden Triangle is 90 miles east of Houston consisting of Beaumont - Port Arthur - Orange. Lots of refineries, etc. & love their sports.

Cotulla is known for deer hunting. My buddy Eric Garner (Phil Garner's son) managed a ranch down there for years & now does the same in LaPryor. Unbelievable deer down there for sure. Once you go hunting in South Texas, nothing in Texas compares.

Cotulla is a nice community, but size & speed are both going to be a problem once they face teams from other regions. This week vs. Tatum, I predict it gets ugly fast. They have seen nothing approaching L. Creer of Tatum.
Im sittin on the Tatum side but if it werent for that, id say Tatum by 2-3 touchdowns

Matthew328
12-06-2006, 08:39 PM
It would be an upset if Cotulla stays within 21.....Cotulla may be disciplined...but Tatum is disciplined with Division 1 talent....

g$$
12-06-2006, 08:46 PM
It would be an upset if Cotulla stays within 21.....Cotulla may be disciplined...but Tatum is disciplined with Division 1 talent....

Tatum blows them out, no doubt.

Speed kills, & Cotulla does not have it. Game is over quickly, like 1st quarter. The only ?? in this one is how many yds. Creer gets & how long he plays.

carter08
12-06-2006, 08:51 PM
http://209.85.12.232/7395/137/emo/CowboysSuck2.png

footballgal
12-06-2006, 09:39 PM
One quesiton, who said they (Cowboys) didn't have speed??

Originally posted by carter08
http://209.85.12.232/7395/137/emo/CowboysSuck2.png
lol, you really hate the Cowboys don't you. :D

footballgal
12-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Isn't this a great quote

"Only 6 plays determine the outcome of a game...the problem is you don't know which 6 they are....so play every down and special teams play like thats one of them 6 plays" - Coach Marcus Booker.......

Coach Booker is Coach of the year in my opinion, what he has done with the Cotulla Cowboys in just 4 years, is incredible. I always said, Cotulla had the players, plenty of all-district players through the years. Good track program, but they just never had a coach stay longer than 2 years, for the kids to go through the program and learn their system.

Gsquared
12-07-2006, 07:43 AM
Isn't this a great quote

"Only 6 plays determine the outcome of a game...the problem is you don't know which 6 they are....so play every down and special teams play like thats one of them 6 plays" - Coach Marcus Booker.......

Coach Booker is Coach of the year in my opinion, what he has done with the Cotulla Cowboys in just 4 years, is incredible. I always said, Cotulla had the players, plenty of all-district players through the years. Good track program, but they just never had a coach stay longer than 2 years, for the kids to go through the program and learn their system.
I like that!

g$$
12-07-2006, 10:20 AM
One quesiton, who said they (Cowboys) didn't have speed??

lol, you really hate the Cowboys don't you. :D

Not at all, nice community. Speed kills & you will see that this weekend. Sorry, just a fact. Player for player, Cotulla cannot match-up with Tatum.

footballgal
12-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Not at all, nice community. Speed kills & you will see that this weekend. Sorry, just a fact. Player for player, Cotulla cannot match-up with Tatum.

I was responding to Carter, because I know he hates the Dallas Cowboys. I wont' see them personally, because I won't be able to attend, I will however hear them through a webcast. I know speed kills I much rather play a team with size than with speed. But, like you said we'll see what happens Saturday.

yakarobed
12-07-2006, 03:21 PM
You know, a free dill pickle would probably keep me on the Tatum side. Just a thought.

I have a lifetime supply of dill pickles, just waiting for you, Gsquared.

Nevermind. I've called the stadium security, and they promised me that Gsquared would not be sitting on Tatum's side. :rolleyes:

Go Eagles!!

Gsquared
12-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by yakarobed
I have a lifetime supply of dill pickles, just waiting for you, Gsquared.

Nevermind. I've called the stadium security, and they promised me that Gsquared would not be sitting on Tatum's side. :rolleyes:

Go Eagles!!
Dang it, where am i gonna sit?

yakarobed
12-08-2006, 07:53 AM

How about in the end zone? :thumbsup:

That's it! A neutral spot. I'll bring you a comfy chair and a cooler for your pickles.:cool:

Go Eagles!

footballgal
12-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Football: Cotulla's tall tale: Small town supports underdog Cowboys in surprising playoff run

Web Posted: 12/07/2006 09:04 PM CST

John Whisler
Express-News Staff Writer

COTULLA — The decorations are in place and the lights have been strung, but today the talk in this small town 90 miles south of San Antonio isn't of turkey and mistletoe.

There's another spirit filling the air here this holiday season, as different as it is unexpected.

Cotulla Cowboys football.

"It's turned this place upside down," school board president Butch Northcut said.

"Who would have imagined Cotulla would still be playing football in December?" mused Cowboys coach Marcus Booker.

That's the question everyone is asking these days. At The Country Store. At Meme's Style Pit BBQ, Stockmen's National Bank and all over LaSalle County.

Believe it. Saturday, Cotulla (11-1) takes on Tatum (11-2) in the Class 2A Division I state semifinals at 7 p.m. at Waco ISD Stadium. Not only is it the deepest Cotulla has advanced in the postseason, it's the first year the school has won a playoff game in only its sixth try (1959, 1997, 2002, 2004 and 2005 are the other trips).

The Cowboys, who finished second to Dilley in District 30-2A, have rattled off consecutive playoff victories over Navarro, George West and Hearne to earn a shot at the state-ranked Eagles, an East Texas power and defending Class 3A Division II state champions.

The end result? Cotulla amazingly is one game from playing for a state title.

But it won't be easy. Tatum will be bigger and faster and a heavy favorite. Its star player, Lennon Creer, is a 6-foot-1, 205-pound halfback being recruited by Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Miami.

Cotulla counters with a 5-foot-4, 130-pound linebacker.

"They'll be laughing when they see us get off the bus," Booker said, "until the whistle blows and they feel how hard we hit.

"I tell our kids the biggest muscle in your body is your heart. Our heart is as big as anybody's."

And the reason they've won the hearts of the townsfolk.

Before every game, a church provides a "Feed the Cowboys" dinner. One week it's the Catholic church. The next week it's the Baptists or the Methodists.

"They've tied this whole community together," said Elizabeth Jones, 73, who taught school here for 35 years.

A lifetime Cotulla resident, Jones never misses a game. She's not alone. Cowboys fans have packed stadiums all season.

Last week, about 2,500 fans traveled to San Antonio for the game against Hearne at Gustafson Stadium.

Cotulla's population is about 3,600.

This week, the school is renting five tour buses to transport the team, band and fans to Waco.

Most people credit the success of this year's team to the senior leadership of players G.R. Hoff, Frank Torres, Juan Rios, Geraldo Olivares, Aldo Maldonado, Ricky Garcia and Juan Salazar.

And especially to Booker, who won four state titles as a player and assistant coach at Judson. Now in his fifth year at Cotulla, Booker has had only one losing season.

The Cowboys were 1-9, 0-10 and 1-9 in the three seasons before Booker's arrival.

"He's a very dynamic person and a great motivator," said CISD superintendent Elizabeth Saenz.

Saenz and high school principal Tony Gonzales hope the success of the team can spread to other areas. Four out of five students are eligible for the free-lunch program at the high school, which is rated academically unacceptable by the Texas Education Agency.

The team already has had a positive effect on the town, where most residents live in poverty. After every playoff game, hundreds of people have lined up along Main Street to greet the team as it returned to town — at well past midnight.

The Cotulla Cowboys might be undersized and undermanned. But, especially this holiday season, not underloved.

footballgal
12-08-2006, 09:47 PM
i JUST READ THAT IT SNOWED IT COTULLA! IT NEVER SNOWS IN COTULLA LAST TIME WAS LIKE 35 YEARS AGO :eek:

yakarobed
12-10-2006, 05:01 PM

So where did you sit, Gsquared? On the Tatum side and end your curse, or the Cotulla side and continue it? :evilgrin:

Gsquared
12-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by yakarobed
So where did you sit, Gsquared? On the Tatum side and end your curse, or the Cotulla side and continue it? :evilgrin:
umm, I was at the game, thats all I can divulge at this time. Heres a hint, sure was cold where I was sitting!