PDA

View Full Version : Hays fans during the NATIONAL ANTHEM held up

CalallenWildcat
12-04-2006, 12:21 AM
The Confederate Flag. Yes, I know they are the "Rebels" but that does not have to mean what the fans made it mean. The "Rebels" could refer to the Texan rebels who fought for Texas Independence. However, when you hold up a CONFEDERATE FLAG during the NATIONAL ANTHEM OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, you are showing disrespect for your country. Next time, fans, think before you act.

EDIT: for some reason, I spelled "they" "tye" which is a town near Abilene...it's LATE!!!

piratebg
12-04-2006, 12:26 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

coach
12-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
The Confederate Flag. Yes, I know tye are the "Rebels" but that does not have to mean what the fans made it mean. The "Rebels" could refer to the Texan rebels who fought for Texas Independence. However, when you hold up a CONFEDERATE FLAG during the NATIONAL ANTHEM OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, you are showing disrespect for your country. Next time, fans, think before you act.

i agree and i cant stand it when the football players put their hand on their teammates shoulders...that is so disrespectful. put ur hand over your heart and show some respect

JR2004
12-04-2006, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
The Confederate Flag. Yes, I know they are the "Rebels" but that does not have to mean what the fans made it mean. The "Rebels" could refer to the Texan rebels who fought for Texas Independence. However, when you hold up a CONFEDERATE FLAG during the NATIONAL ANTHEM OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, you are showing disrespect for your country. Next time, fans, think before you act.

EDIT: for some reason, I spelled "they" "tye" which is a town near Abilene...it's LATE!!!

Yeah that's going a bit far right there. They march to the beat of their own drummer down there in Buda though so who knows what they're thinking a good chunk of the time.

Aside from something like that though, I've always enjoyed being at football games Hays was playing in. Well there was one I didn't enjoy when I was a freshman in high school and got moved up to the varsity for the playoffs. We lost to them in the 2nd round in 1994 and was pretty tired or watching Steve Hardaway run it down our throats by the end of it. The guy was 6'3" 230 playing tailback. Kinda got sick of hearing their version of "I wish I was in Dixie" (Their fight song) by the end of the game!

Boosty_Hondo
12-04-2006, 01:15 AM
ya i saw that ... what a shame

marlin fan
12-04-2006, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by coach
i agree and i cant stand it when the football players put their hand on their teammates shoulders...that is so disrespectful. put ur hand over your heart and show some respect i dont think thats disrespectful... i find it conforting to see teams do that!!

mchavez
12-04-2006, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by marlin fan
i dont think thats disrespectful... i find it conforting to see teams do that!!

I agree!! When teams put their hands on other players it shows them United, like United We Stand!! Besides you don't have to put your hand on your heart to mean respect!!

eagles_victory
12-04-2006, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by mchavez
I agree!! When teams put their hands on other players it shows them United, like United We Stand!! Besides you don't have to put your hand on your heart to mean respect!! well said what coach is saying is pretty much nitpicking

Phil C
12-04-2006, 09:00 AM
I agree!! When teams put their hands on other players it shows them United, like United We Stand!! Besides you don't have to put your hand on your heart to mean respect!!

Some traditions shouldn't be broken though.

BTEXDAD
12-04-2006, 09:06 AM

Read your national anthem etiquette sometime. Marlin Fan is right. Correct way to show respect is with hand over heart. If in armed services, including law enforcement, a salute is correct.
Many people bow their heads and probably say a prayer during the anthem which is nice, but according to recognized procedures it shows disrespect to flag by not looking at it during playing of Nat anthem.
By your thinking, who's to say the Hays fans weren't holding the flag up to show they're united also.

buff4life
12-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
Read your national anthem etiquette sometime. Marlin Fan is right. Correct way to show respect is with hand over heart. If in armed services, including law enforcement, a salute is correct.
Many people bow their heads and probably say a prayer during the anthem which is nice, but according to recognized procedures it shows disrespect to flag by not looking at it during playing of Nat anthem.
By your thinking, who's to say the Hays fans weren't holding the flag up to show they're united also.

there is a big difference in holding up the Confederate flag and putting an arm on another's shoulder....In my opinion....the hand on shoulder show's TEAM and unity...its a big group honoring the great country that we live in where people fight and die daily for our freedom and the STARS AND STRIPES..not the confederate flag

coach
12-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
well said what coach is saying is pretty much nitpicking

w/e ur not showing respect for your country put your hand over you heart thats just rediculous and embarrising

htowntransplant
12-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
there is a big difference in holding up the Confederate flag and putting an arm on another's shoulder....In my opinion....the hand on shoulder show's TEAM and unity...its a big group honoring the great country that we live in where people fight and die daily for our freedom and the STARS AND STRIPES..not the confederate flag

i agree...and holding the confederate flag up is stupid. sure, freedom of expression, but if a majority of the people find it offensive, then keep it within urself

coach
12-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD

well said