PDA

View Full Version : A GIANT Louisiana/Texas softball MEGA SOFTBALL CLASSIC IS A REALITY!

Old Cardinal
07-12-2003, 06:55 PM
Well what started as a 3A LA/TX Tournament has turned into a Giant Tournament for ALL CLASSIFICATIONS included! There are 28 good fields available and they just decided to separate out the fields according to Classifications. The main ones putting it together are Tommy Goss, Coach Shorty(H-F) and as I understand it- Coach Sissy Lemons(BC) will take care of getting all the Louisiana teams invited....We figure the facility will easily handle 200 teams. It turned out this weekend there were 110 teams playing. Next weekend there will be the National Softball Association-National Tournament and the following weekend the BIG AFA(18 & U) National tournament with 160+ teams...The thinking was that why not do the same for the High Schools across Texas and Louisiana? Now that is thinking outside the box! I am excited about this event tenetatively scheduled to start on Feb 18th 2004....

<small>[ July 12, 2003, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Dulce04
07-13-2003, 01:26 AM
That is AWESOME!!!! That would be a great experience and seems like a lot of fun. I just hope that I can make it because I also play basketball and there is always the consideration of possibly making the playoffs. That would be a shame if I had to miss it.

Old Cardinal
07-14-2003, 10:13 AM
To D-04: I to am excited also that this magnitude of a Tournament is possible for HS Softball...On this weekends' Tournament for State Champion-AFA, 18& U; "The Energy", out of LaPorte area, edged out the Gulf Coast Breakers in the finals 1-0. The Beaumont Blast and The Thunder also local teams tied for third. The Breakers were without Shalayne Blythe pitching, in the final game for the State Championship, and I feel that made the difference; since she beat that team 3-0 earlier in the Tournament....On the 12 & U, the Beaumont Blast Red Team(where my Grandaughter pitches) were edged out in the State Championship game, by the Gulf Coast Breakers(also from the Golden Triangle), in a 3-1 game. The two locals sent a lot of very good teams home, out of the 3 dozen hopefuls...D-04, I sure hope Caldwell can play at the Southeast Texas Entertainment Complex in the HS Classic, to kick off the 2004 season. Folks in Beaumont are starting to call their city, "The Softball Capitol of the World"!

Dulce04
07-14-2003, 01:50 PM
I know what you mean! I don't think that Coach Weiss not wanting to go would be a problem because she would probably love that. This past season we were scheduled to go to a tournament in Austin but it unfortunately got rained out and we missed out on some great opportunities there. I would love to go and play. We're are going to be better than ever next year because we only lost two people and we have two awesome freshmen coming up who play the exact spots of those who left. It's gonna be awesome!!

Old Cardinal
07-14-2003, 03:18 PM
I agree D-04, Everything points to Caldwell having a very superior team!