PDA

View Full Version : Bellville and Marlin: My Thoughts

Bellville22
12-06-2003, 12:35 PM
Once again, thousands of Texans, and even a few out-of-state visitors bundled up and made the trip to watch another exciting week of playoff football, and once again they were treated with the best entertainment $7 can buy.

The Bellville Brahmas and the Marlin Bulldogs, two of the most evenly matched teams you'll find in the state, once again provided us with a clash that we won't soon forget. This year, it was the underdog Bulldogs who came out on top managing to defend a 2 point lead against one of the top offenses in the state.

This game came down to a bunch of teenagers scratching and clawing and fighting with everything they had for 48 minutes, and tonight, the Marlin Bulldogs were the better team. These teams could play 10 times, and I think they'd split 5 and 5, but last night was the only one that mattered.

As I read back over my prediction from last week, several things jumped out at me that I said would decide this game...

I said the QB's would be key: Buenger had to have time, he had some, but in key situations, not quite enough. Marlin played tight coverage, Bellville tried to respond with rub routes, whcih took a little too long to develop. Marlin's QB felt some pressure, but the Soph. made the key plays when he needed to.

I said Bellville's kicking game would be key: Goeke hit a 55 yarder into a wind that could have been doing anything. WHAT A KICK!!! 5 more yards on the last drive and he woulda had a chance to kick the potential game winner.

I said turnovers would be key: There were none, the game was decided by 2 points.

And finally, FIELD POSITION WOULD BE KEY!!!: I thought this was THE most important thing in this game. Bellville routinely started inside its own 20, Marlin seemed to have great field position all night. The short field was very important with these great defenses.

The two things I thought decided this game were 1) the field position i just talked about, and 2) the big change in momentum before half. Bellville went up 14-7 w/ 49 seconds, and would get the ball in the 2nd half. Momentum was in their favor, but a bad kick, and a prevent defense allowed the emotional Dogs to march right down the field and cut it to 1 at the half.

Tremendous effort by both squads. I thought the sportsmanship was outstanding. Sure there were scuffles, but after the game, the mutual respect between the teams was evident. What an atmosphere. Congrats to both teams, and good luck to the Bulldogs.

<small>[ December 06, 2003, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Bellville22 ]</small>

FranksBullDog
12-06-2003, 12:48 PM
I totally agree there is a lot of respect for BV and good sportsmanship by both teams.

bud4u
12-06-2003, 12:51 PM
I Sure agree with everthing you wrote. man another classic game for the brahamas and the bulldogs. i didnt see the possum.

congrats on bellville for going 13-1 on a great season all i can ask is for all yalls support for marlin now to go on to win state championship

GOD BLESS AND LET MARLIN BULLDOGS KEEP ON ROLLING

HornetMom
12-06-2003, 03:31 PM
Bellville 22, thanks for the summary on last nights game. I was listening to it on the radio and I have to tell you, it was a nail biter for sure. I was on the edge of my seat throughout the game. The commentator was from Bellville, but I have to say he did a great job for both sides of the game. He was very fair in his comments when Marlin had big plays, whether offense or defense. Bellville played a great game as did Marlin. Wish I could have seen that 55 yard field goal.
To Bellvile....great season and good luck the rest of the year with all other sports.
Marlin...best of luck in the next round.

BrahmaMom
12-06-2003, 05:30 PM
A message to the Brahmas, coaches, parents, and town: Once again we have a lot to be proud of and thankful for with this Brahma team. They have given this season their all, staying focused, working hard, improving, and playing as a team. They have emerged a relatively healthy group, thank God. To the graduating players, I will miss you guys almost like you were my own. I have watched you grow and develop from young boys into fine young men who have the tenacity and character to do what it takes and do it well. For many of you, you hang up your pads for good. Treasure the memories and become a great fan as so many before you have done. To those who go to the next level, in whatever sport it may be, best of luck and many congratulations, I know you didn't get there because of luck but because of God-given talent and your own drive and hard work to develop that talent. To all of you: take the lessons you learned on the field and apply them to life--work hard, improve, to quote a former Brahma "fight like hell and when hell freezes over, fight some more", and don't ever give up. I wish you all well in the future, whatever it holds. To the returning Brahmas, next year will come soon enough. Don't let up, it a yearlong process. Start gearing up Monday. You returners hold the key to the future, that makes you very important to the Brahma tradition. You all did an outstanding job, whatever your role. You all have play-off game experience to cherish and utilize. To the coaches who allowed that to happen, thank you and great call! That play-off game experience is invaluable. To the parents, thank you for sharing your sons, risking their safety, holding your breath when they were down. I know too well how difficult that is, and I was holding my breath with you. It is an act of faith and love that I recognize and appreciate. To the band, Brahmadoras, trainers, Watermen, color guard, cheerleaders, and faithful fans: you, too, were wonderful and played a vital role in the Brahma success and tradition. It's been a pleasure, folks. I may take a few years off being a Brahma fan-atic, leave the cow bell at home, get off 3ADL, go to a few home games and rest up for the next child to play under the Friday Night Lights at the Pasture (right now we do Thursday nights). But I'll be back. Until then, my heart remains Brahma red and the 2003 Brahmas are champions in my book. BrahmaMom loves you!

BrahmaMom
12-06-2003, 11:06 PM
One more thank you, sorry it was originally omitted: Thank you to the families of the coaching staff who sacrificed their husband, dad, handyman for all these many months. Yours is a sacrifice too often forgotten. Get that Honey-Do list out. And Coach Chancellor, you've got two watermen to give you a hand!