PDA

View Full Version : Heck of a year, Gobblers...

Gobbla2001
11-16-2003, 02:54 PM
Dang, were predicted to finish 2nd in district and won it... Only returning 2/3 starters from a 5-6 team, we were expected to maybe start 0-4 again (underdogged in our first 3 or 4 games)... But we popped out a 9 game winning streak it was very fun watching these young kids play...

The Wharton/Cuero game, as said over the speakers after our FG attempt was blocked with 47 ticks left on the clock, was Texas High School Football at its best...

Cuero jumps out 7-0 after giving Wharton negative yards in their first drive, then Wharton puts 6 up and it is 7-6 at halftime... What I thought was a blocked forward pass (found someone who had actually seen our QB attempt to pull the ball back in) was picked up and returned for a Wharton TD... After that, Wharton was up 12-7... Then Cuero was up 14-12, then Wharton 18-14, then Cuero 21-14, then Wharton 25-21, then Cuero 29-25 and then Wharton 32-29... With 47 ticks left we went to kick a FG, rushers were coming so our holder (our QB as well) picked it up and just couldn't break the outside containment of the fast Wharton secondary...

WOW, so many emotional swings in one night... I couldn't ask for more from these kids...

Good game, Wharton, you guys are friggan huge...

Way to go, Gobblers, you had a dang good year and I'm proud of you guys...

sinton66
11-16-2003, 03:01 PM
You know what, buddy? I'm proud of them too. They really impressed me in that early scrimmage with La Grange. This team is quite young, and should be in the thick of things over the next couple of years. Gobblers got nothing to hang their heads about, that's for sure.

Gobbla2001
11-16-2003, 03:05 PM
You know what? I'm proud of the Pirates too... Not the best of starts, but the finish is what counts, eh?

Now that we're outta the D1 mix (for now), I'm a Pirate fan... Will try to get to one of your games...

Should I hurry up and get there this week? Or do you think you, wait, we'll (now that I'm on a different bandwagon, for the remainder of the season only) be in round 3 for sure?

crabman
11-16-2003, 03:09 PM
The thing that will drive you crazy about the way a year ends. Cuero beats LaGrange in a scrimmage. They are still playing. Cuero beats Gregory Portland in a scrimmage. Still playing. Cuero beats 4A Rockport in a game. Still playing. Cuero beats Sinton. Still playing. Cuero beats Yoakum. Still playing. It's the luck of the draw. I guess next year we will have to make our own luck.

sinton66
11-16-2003, 03:16 PM
It's beginning to look like we might be able to grant Chris Hart's wish. Zapata's kind of an "unknown", but traditionally speaking, Sinton usually does fairly well against the valley teams in this round. I thought all along we would draw Hondo in the first round again, which is why I've been reluctant to commit so far. I really thought Hondo would match up with us pretty well this year and still think so based on our common opponent, Mathis. Drawing Carrizo Springs instead, was probably a stroke of luck. All that said, Sinton's gotta take care of business this Friday.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-16-2003, 03:21 PM
Hey Zim, you COULD head down to Alice Saturday afternoon and watch the Hondo/Port Isabel matchup at 2pm.

Ought to be a good one. Looks to be a classic Power vs. Speed matchup.

Gobbla2001
11-16-2003, 03:29 PM
TarponFanInNorthTexas:
Hey Zim, you COULD head down to Alice Saturday afternoon and watch the Hondo/Port Isabel matchup at 2pm.

Ought to be a good one. Looks to be a classic Power vs. Speed matchup.Hmmmmmmmm, could try that... I dunno, Burnet will be taking on Wharton in Victoria Saturday I think... Just 28 miles from home, compared to around 80 to Alice...

We'll see, would like to see Stump coaching those Tarpons again... That game in Victoria with Bandera last year was a good one, you guys just couldn't come out on top...

Old Green
11-16-2003, 06:41 PM
crabman:
The thing that will drive you crazy about the way a year ends. Cuero beats LaGrange in a scrimmage. They are still playing. Cuero beats Gregory Portland in a scrimmage. Still playing. Cuero beats 4A Rockport in a game. Still playing. Cuero beats Sinton. Still playing. Cuero beats Yoakum. Still playing. It's the luck of the draw. I guess next year we will have to make our own luck.Yes we will Crabman. 9/6 starters returning next year will give you more than luck. wink

PPHSfan
11-16-2003, 06:53 PM
Look at the bright side Gobb.

You don't have to play Burnet now. :D

No really, congrats on a great season Gobblers.

footballgal
11-17-2003, 12:27 AM
sinton66:
It's beginning to look like we might be able to grant Chris Hart's wish. Zapata's kind of an "unknown", but traditionally speaking, Sinton usually does fairly well against the valley teams in this round ...I know we corrected you on this last year or the year before last, but it's Ok I understand we forget sometimes: wink

Zapata is NOT a Valley Team!, it's closer to Laredo than any valley team.

<small>[ November 16, 2003, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: footballgal ]</small>

footballgal
11-17-2003, 12:28 AM
Yeah it was a great run for the Gobblers. Congratulations on a good season!

<small>[ November 16, 2003, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: footballgal ]</small>

sinton66
11-17-2003, 12:32 AM
heh, heh, does the Rio Grande River run past Zapata? If it DOES, then they are technically in the "valley".(of the river) :D

footballgal
11-17-2003, 12:36 AM
sinton66:
heh, heh, does the Rio Grande River run past Zapata? If it DOES, then they are technically in the "valley".(of the river) :D You know what I really don't know, haven't paid much attention, but I guess you're right if they are past the river, technically it would be. I will have to go look that up, thanks Sinton66, now I won't be able to go sleep until I find out. :D

<small>[ November 16, 2003, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: footballgal ]</small>

lepfan
11-17-2003, 12:45 AM
Gobbla2001:

TarponFanInNorthTexas:

Ought to be a good one. Looks to be a classic Power vs. Speed matchup.Hmmmmmmmm, could try that... I dunno, Burnet will be taking on Wharton in Victoria Saturday I think... Just 28 miles from home, compared to around 80 to Alice...

We'll see, would like to see Stump coaching those Tarpons again... That game in Victoria with Bandera last year was a good one, you guys just couldn't come out on top...c'mon Gobbla, drive to Pasadena and watch the LG Orangefield game!!! :D I will even give you a purple and gold LG cap to wear!

Old Dog
11-17-2003, 01:16 AM
Man Gobbla, I sure wanted us to play Cuero since we have been on the board with you guys so much this past year. Cuero will certainly have to be reckoned with the next couple of years though. Good luck!

whtfbplaya
11-17-2003, 11:59 AM
Gobbla2001:
Dang, were predicted to finish 2nd in district and won it... Only returning 2/3 starters from a 5-6 team, we were expected to maybe start 0-4 again (underdogged in our first 3 or 4 games)... But we popped out a 9 game winning streak it was very fun watching these young kids play...

The Wharton/Cuero game, as said over the speakers after our FG attempt was blocked with 47 ticks left on the clock, was Texas High School Football at its best...

Cuero jumps out 7-0 after giving Wharton negative yards in their first drive, then Wharton puts 6 up and it is 7-6 at halftime... What I thought was a blocked forward pass (found someone who had actually seen our QB attempt to pull the ball back in) was picked up and returned for a Wharton TD... After that, Wharton was up 12-7... Then Cuero was up 14-12, then Wharton 18-14, then Cuero 21-14, then Wharton 25-21, then Cuero 29-25 and then Wharton 32-29... With 47 ticks left we went to kick a FG, rushers were coming so our holder (our QB as well) picked it up and just couldn't break the outside containment of the fast Wharton secondary...

WOW, so many emotional swings in one night... I couldn't ask for more from these kids...

Good game, Wharton, you guys are friggan huge...

Way to go, Gobblers, you had a dang good year and I'm proud of you guys...I agree with everything, but were you at the game or did you just miss that last fg att. It got blocked, then they picked it up and ran with it.

BIG19
11-17-2003, 12:41 PM
I know I for one was hoping for a Cuero/Burnet rematch. Now that it is not going to happen I would like to take my hat off to the Gobblers. A great season of memories. Be sure to keep the heads up and look forward to next year. You will be back next year and hopefully we can do it then.

Gobbla, if you do make it to Victoria, let us know and we can possibly meet up.

<small>[ November 17, 2003, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: BIG19 ]</small>

Gobbla2001
11-17-2003, 05:25 PM
My bad, wharton guy, our holder caught the ball after it was blocked (I believe he caught it, didn't he?)... Just too hard to remember, that's around the time my heart sunk...

Trying to make the game, really trying, Burnet fans... About 90% sure, but stuff always comes up so I'll make no commitment...

SintonFan
11-17-2003, 07:10 PM
Congratulations Gobblers. I know the season ended early for some of you but you've got nothing to hang your head about. You guys will be favorites for the next two years or so. Glad to have you aboard Gobbla. :cool: