PDA

View Full Version : Sneed

CenTexSports
12-02-2006, 08:22 AM
I knew this had been discussed but did not know if it had been posted.

Former Stephenville QB to transferBy JIMMY BURCH
Star-Telegram STAFF WRITER
Texas quarterback Jevan Snead, a freshman from Stephenville, received a release from his scholarship and is one of three Longhorns who left the program Friday to transfer to other schools.

Texas coach Mack Brown and the players -- Snead, sophomore defensive end Chris Brown and sophomore offensive tackle Greg Dolan -- issued a joint statement confirming the departures.

Snead, the backup to starter Colt McCoy, said he decided to leave Texas "to reach my goal of being a starting quarterback." Among the schools considered likely transfer options for Snead, a 2005 Parade All-American, are TCU, Houston and Louisville.

"I need to go somewhere else," Snead said in his statement. "I'm going to miss all of my teammates.... I will always be proud of my time with the Longhorns."

Snead's departure means No. 17 Texas (9-3) no longer has a backup quarterback with significant playing time heading into the Longhorns' bowl game, either the Gator Bowl or Alamo Bowl. McCoy, a redshirt freshman, suffered a severely pinched nerve in his neck during the team's 12-7 loss to Texas A&M on Nov. 24, and his status for the bowl is yet to be determined.

Texas trainer Kenny Boyd said Friday that McCoy has made "significant progress over the past week." If McCoy cannot play in the bowl game, the next quarterback on Texas' depth chart is Matt McCoy (no relation), a senior walk-on who has not thrown a pass this season.

Brown said Snead's concern about a lack of playing time was shared by the other departed Longhorns.

"All three guys told us they had a great experience, but they felt their best opportunity for more playing time was to transfer," Brown said in his statement. "That's totally understandable.... We wish all three the best of luck in the future."

Of the three, Snead got the most playing time this season. After being beaten out for the starting job in fall drills, Snead played in eight games as the Longhorns' primary backup. He completed 26 of 49 passes for 371 yards and two touchdowns with two interceptions. Most of his attempts (30) came during the Longhorns' 45-42 loss to Kansas State, when Colt McCoy was injured on Texas' opening series.

Dolan played in 10 career games, and Brown played in six games as a true freshman in 2005 before a broken leg ended his season. He was redshirting this season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------