PDA

View Full Version : Celina Bobcats (12-0) vs. Canton Eagles (8-4) thread

charlesrixey
12-01-2006, 08:15 PM
I will be giving lots of updates, especially for those who are listening to the other games around the state.

Should be a good one, Canton's offense will provide an interesting matchup for celina defensively.

charlesrixey
12-01-2006, 08:32 PM
still waiting on the feed to begin. They were giving promos of the game, then after 15 minutes of commercials they took a break. Hopefully the gamecast will start soon.

charlesrixey
12-01-2006, 08:48 PM
i think the feed is actually going to start!

charlesrixey
12-01-2006, 09:16 PM
Going to have to wing it, apparently

Celina 14, Canton 0 in the second quarter

charlesrixey
12-01-2006, 09:17 PM
thanks matt328!

charlesrixey
12-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Celina 21, Canton 0 at the start of the third

charlesrixey
12-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Dru Prosser ran 48 yards for a score on the second half's third play to send Celina to a 28-0 lead over Canton.

from belo blog

charlesrixey
12-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Celina 35, Canton 0

charlesrixey
12-01-2006, 10:44 PM
here's an update on all of the action thus far:

Celina turns INT into TD
Celina drove 96 yards in seven plays capped by Charley Waldrep's 9-yard score to go up 7-0 with 2:53 left. DB Seth Davis picked off a pass in the end zone and ran it out to the 4. Davis, also the QB, picked up the key play on the drive with his 59-yard run on 3rd and 11 from the 3.

Celina leads 21-0 at half
I don't know the last time Celina blew a 21-0 lead, but it ain't happening tonight. Canton's been inside Celina's 20 twice and started another drive in Celina territory and has come away with nothing. You have to take advantage of your scoring chances against a team like Celina. Coming away with no points has to be disheartening. Canton moved the ball well in the first quarter, but Celina's adjusted defensively. Celina has scored on its last three drives and it gets the ball to start the second half.

merit65
12-01-2006, 10:47 PM
charlesrixey

Thanks for the updates !!!!

charlesrixey
12-01-2006, 10:50 PM
just doing what i can after the game went off of the radio

charlesrixey
12-01-2006, 11:13 PM
still waiting to see a final from the game

Fletch
12-01-2006, 11:58 PM
Texasprepxtra is reporting 35-6. Didn't give details on how Canton scored.

charlesrixey
12-01-2006, 11:58 PM
and finally

Football

Celina vs. Canton
at Garland's H. B. Johnson Stadium
Friday, December 1, 2006

Game Summary
Celina 35 Canton 6

What happened?
GARLAND--Canton?s offense was anything but ordinary, but it wasn?t anything extraordinary. Emptying its playbook with an array of unorthodox formations, Canton produced little, and in the end basic football won out as Celina pinned a 35-6 victory in a Class 3A Division II regional semifinal at Homer B. Johnson Stadium.

Celina (13-0), which extended its winning streak to 29 games, gained 406 yards including 309 rushing. Running back Charley Waldrep rushed 21 times for 109 yards and two scores. Dru Prosser rushed for a 48-yard score and passed for a 55-yard touchdown.

But the way Celina adjusted to Canton?s offense early on decided the game. Junior Breck Holman was a constant pest for Canton. He sacked Canton quarterback Casey Bell twice and had two other tackles for losses in key situations to help spur Celina?s defense in the first half.

?Little Breck?s a football player,? Celina coach Butch Ford said of his 5-4 defensive end. ?He loves to play and he?s a lot of fun to watch.?

Holman came with two key stops after Canton drove to Celina?s 13 late in the first quarter with Celina holding a 7-0 lead. He dropped running back Sam Buker for a four-yard loss and two plays later tackled Bell 10 yards back on a trick play on a fourth-and 11. Canton lined up five linemen on the left side of the ball with Bell playing at the far left end. At the snap, Bell came on an end around and was either going to pass or handoff for a reverse, but Holman snuffed out the play and wrapped Bell for the loss.

?We knew they were going to come out with random plays, and we practiced all week for them,? Holman said.

It was plays like that that kept Celina?s defense briefly on the edge.

?Our kids figured things out,? Ford said.

In the first half, Canton drove inside Celina?s 20 twice and had another drive that started in Celina?s territory and came away with no points. Celina answered thwarted drive with scores to take a 21-0 halftime lead. In the second half, Canton drove to Celina?s 18, but Holman and defensive tackle Jamie Blatnick tackled Bell for a one yard loss on fourth-and-three and Celina maintained a 28-0 lead.

Period score

Celina 7 14 7 7 -- 35
Canton 0 0 0 6 -- 6

Who did what?
CEL - Charley Waldrep 9 run (Dru Prosser kick)
CEL - Lance Clark 29 pass from Seth Davis (Prosser kick)
CEL - Waldrep 6 run (Prosser kick)
CEL - Prosser 48 run (Prosser kick)
CEL - Troy McCartney 55 pass from Prosser (Prosser kick)
CAN - Zack Cummings 4 run (pass failed)

Stats
CEL CAN
First Downs 16 10
Rushing Yards 45-309 39-75
Passing Yards 97 122
Passing 3-7-0 8-13-3
Punts-Avg 3-37.7 2-33.0
Penalties 5-45 4-35
Fumbles-Lost 2-1 1-1

Individual Leaders
Rushing
CEL: Charley Waldrep 21-109, Dru Prosser 7-79, Seth Davis 3-66, Troy McCartney 5-29, Jon Cobb 2-18, D'Anton Lynn 2-16, Travis Henderson 1-(-1), Cody Worrell 3-(-6), Austin Carey 1-(-1). CAN: Sam Buker 12-35, Zack Cummings 11-26, Casey Bell 16-14.
Passing
CEL: Dru Prosser 2-4-0-68, Seth Davis 1-2-0-29, Cody Worrell 0-1-0-0. CAN: Casey Bell 8-13-3-122.
Receiving
CEL: Troy McCartney 2-68, Lance Clark 1-29. CAN: Michael Prox 3-33, Eric Crapazano 2-30, Justin Huff 2-30, Travis Termin 1-29.

BobcatBenny
12-02-2006, 12:10 AM
Canton scored at the end of the game on the second team defense.

Canton did move the ball some and then produced what was the worst drive I have ever seen. Ending up with a third and 47 I think. Breck Holeman personally wrecked that drive and sealed Canton's fate early on. Once Celina was up by two scores, they unleashed the dogs until late in the second half when the second stringers took over.

charlesrixey
12-02-2006, 12:16 AM
another great defensive performance....

how is this the first time i have heard about holman? don't remember seeing him much when i was out in texas

bobcat1
12-02-2006, 12:21 AM
I will say this about the Canton Eagles. They came to play. They never quit. #4 was a player; Buker . Yea he could scoot! That QB was pretty good too. Nothing to be ashamed of. They laid it all out there.

Way to go Bobcats! One step at a time.

OldNavy
12-02-2006, 12:27 AM
Celina vs Brownsboro, Friday, 7:30 at Texas Stadium!

BobcatBenny
12-02-2006, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
another great defensive performance....

how is this the first time i have heard about holman? don't remember seeing him much when i was out in texas

He has been a bit of a monster all season, but tonight he personally wrecked several Canton drives when they got into some goofy formations which did not account for him.

He has good speed and vision which meant he was all over the kid with the ball if he were left alone to run around in Canton's back field.

OldNavy
12-02-2006, 12:33 AM
Mr Holman has a motor that won't quit. He has played well all year long. He has gone up against much larger opponents all year long and seems to find a way to be where he needs to be. He stood out in the Plano Prestonwood game against suposedly a D1 tackle. The tackle could barely touch him on occasion and when he did it was in the back for a penalty.

He is really fun to watch. He knocked the quarterback from Madison off a fumble and covered it in the endzone last week for a touchdown.

Maybe you can get home to see him before the season ends for the Bobcats. Best of luck.

BobcatBenny
12-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by bobcat1
I will say this about the Canton Eagles. They came to play. They never quit. #4 was a player; Buker . Yea he could scoot! That QB was pretty good too. Nothing to be ashamed of. They laid it all out there.

Way to go Bobcats! One step at a time.

It is true that #4 could scoot. But Celina pretty much eliminated him from being an option.

Honestly I thought the QB was alright. He did take a beating and keep on ticking. Yet he got sacked a lot and threw 3 to the wrong team. Celina D also forced him to keep the ball on the option which would gain some positive yards, but ultimately could not individually keep a drive going.

Hey some of the line men were impressive looking specimens, but ultimately the QB was in fear for his life most of the night.

bobcat1
12-02-2006, 12:49 AM
Breck is the sack king in my opinion. He is so quick and a sure tackler. The biggest thing about him is his heart. It's huge. Coach Ford is right. He is fun to watch.

WildTexan
12-02-2006, 01:01 AM
They were right.....Buker is better than McNeil.....McNeil got 22 and Buker got 35....

Fact is after the Eagles drove down inside the 20 early in the 1st Qtr, the defensive adjustments that were made to account for the oddball formations and motion meant the game was over....this turned turned out about as I expected - never in doubt and not as close as the score indicated....

and Cuero lost for real? oh my.....

WildTexan
12-02-2006, 01:22 AM
Just saw the hilites of the BB/PP game and BB looks to be a majority running team, so Celina will stuff them....this defense does not give up rushing yards easily, so I'm bettin it will be another game that they hold the opponents under 100 yds rushing and another 4 td or more victory.....

Texas Stadium....out 1st trip back there since Mart and the Cosby kid game......4th round and we have yet to have to drive very far to a game....nice deal....now if Graham will bust a miracle and win Region1 we can maybe play in Denton or somesuch in week 5....