PDA

View Full Version : Icy roads claim HS girls basketball player, 7 other players injured

lostaussie
12-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Icy roads claim HS girls basketball player, 7 other players injured

PADUCAH, Texas — A high school girls basketball player was killed and seven others were injured Friday when the sport utility vehicle the team was riding in slid on an icy patch and partially overturned, officials said.
Isaura Puentes, 14, a member of the Paducah High School junior varsity team, was killed when she was partially ejected and pinned under the vehicle, Texas Department of Public Safety spokesman Wayne Beighle said. She was not wearing a seat belt, he said.
The injuries to six other players — all 14 or 15 years old — and the coach did not appear to be life-threatening, Beighle said. One player was taken by helicopter ambulance to an Amarillo hospital but only because the needed medical facilities weren’t available in nearby Childress, Beighle said.
Only the driver — the team’s coach — and the front seat passenger were wearing seat belts, he said.
The team was headed to Munday for a tournament, said Paducah principal Sally Piper. The vehicle was about five miles south of Paducah on U.S. 83 — about 150 miles southeast of Amarillo — when the accident occurred

CheerMom
12-01-2006, 05:53 PM
Prayers are with everyone involved.

Phil C
12-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by CheerMom
Prayers are with everyone involved.

From Sinton too. :(

luvhoops34
12-01-2006, 07:01 PM
I just read about this accident on another board. So very sad.

injuredinmelee
12-01-2006, 07:19 PM
been to Paducah several times and know a few folks from there. Very sad occurence indeed. Prayers to the lost childs family and get well soon to the others.

charlesrixey
12-01-2006, 08:08 PM
the most tragic losses are those of our young ones.

Keep them in your memory and pray for them as you go to watch your children tonight

mchavez
12-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Wow, I'm fron Vernon, just about an hour away from there!! Last year they lost a tennis player that was hit by a car during pratice!! My prayers are with them!!

LHMom
12-01-2006, 11:48 PM
Oh my goodness. Such sad sad news... I will keep the family and friends in my prayers.

LH Panther Mom
12-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Very sad news. I talked to mom about it earlier. She knows the coach. :(

bobcat1
12-02-2006, 07:43 AM
Prayers being sent from Celina this morning. Father hold these people today in your hands and comfort them.