PDA

View Full Version : Cuero Coach Expects Big Plays To Determine Tonight's Winner

Gobbler Fan
12-01-2006, 08:30 AM
December 01, 2006 - Posted at 12:00 a.m.
BY MIKE FORMAN - ADVOCATE SPORTS WRITER

Cuero coach Mark Reeve was talking about the Gobblers' 2004 Class 3A, Division I regional playoff win over Wimberley but he could just as easily been describing any high-stakes game.

"If you go back and look, we gave up a big play," Reeve said of Cuero's 21-17 win over Wimberley in 2004. "But we made five or six. You're going to give up some and you're going to win some. It usually comes down to who wins the most. That's how you win close games. It's the guys that make the plays."

Reeve knows the formula and hopes Cuero (12-0) can execute the plan when it meets Wimberley (11-1) in a Division II regional contest today at 7 p.m. at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

"That's been the key for us," Reeve said of the Gobblers, who are 10-3 in the playoffs in his four seasons at Cuero. "Somebody has stepped up and made the big play. It could have been the big interception, the long run, the big pass or a fumble recovery."

It was Kyle Noack's 27-yard return of a Wimberley fumble that made the difference in the 2004 game, which was played at a foggy Matador Stadium in Seguin. The Gobblers went on to advance to the state final before losing to Abilene Wylie. Cuero was eliminated by Hutto in the Division II semifinals last season.

The Texans won the Division I state championship last year and Reeve believes they are almost as strong this season, having reeled off 11 straight wins after opening the season with a 35-14 loss to Giddings.

"They're a whole lot like us," Reeve said of the Texans. "They're real balanced on offense. They make you stop the running game and they make plays in the passing game. They do a good job of changing things up."

Wimberley quarterback Ricky Beaty could hardly be better than he was in last week's 52-7 area win over Medina Valley. Beaty completed all 17 of his passes for 327 yards and three touchdowns. The Texans also scored over 50 points the previous week in a 56-20 bi-district win over Marion.
Click here to view our website!
"He's real elusive," Reeve said of Beaty. "He does a good job of avoiding the rush and a good job of scrambling. His receivers do a good job of getting open when he scrambles so you can't allow them to run free.

Running back Michael Buse ran for two touchdowns against Medina Velley, as the Texans rolled up 452 yards of offense.

"Defensively you've got to play well against the run and the pass," Reeve said. "They're pretty much a ball-control team. They don't take a lot of deep shots. They do a good job of moving the chains."

The Gobblers struggled some on offense in last week's 21-8 area win over Rio Hondo, gaining 290 yards after totaling 507 in a 48-0 bi-district win over Sinton.

Noack, who moved from safety to quarterback last season as a junior, has completed over 70 percent of his passes for 2,409 yards and 33 touchdowns. Running back Fabian Olguin has rushed for 1,368 yards and 11 touchdowns.

We've just got to play well," Reeve said. "We obviously want to control the football. That will be a big key. Another will be special teams. The biggest key for both teams is the quarterback. Both teams have great quarterbacks and you've got to have one to have a good team."

Reeve has been aware of Wimberley from the first day of two-a-days. Reeve even scouted Wimberley's 38-7 win over Bandera during Cuero's bye week.

"We were pretty sure we were going to play them if we made it this far," Reeve said. "We knew they were the only other team to beat Liberty Hill so we figured they would be here."

The Gobblers also figured to reach to reach the third round for the third straight season and are hoping to reach the fourth round for the fourth consecutive year.

"There's just more of a sense of excitement when you play in a big game between two good teams," Noack said. "There's no doubt in my mind we can win but we're going to have to play our best game of the year."

NOTES: Cuero will be the home team...Tickets at the Alamodome gate will be $9...The game will be broadcast on KEPG, 100.9 FM...The Cuero-Wimberley winner will advance to the quarterfinals against the winner of the Hondo-Orange Grove game set for Saturday at 4 p.m. at the Alamodome...Cuero and Wimberley were in the same district in 1994 and '95 after the Texans were reclassified from Class 2A to 3A. Cuero won the 1994 game 61-0 and the '95 game 71-14...Cuero beat Sinton 31-0 in the 2004 quarterfinals in the Gobblers' most recent game in the Alamodome.

Phil C
12-01-2006, 08:47 AM
The mistake Wimberley has made is playing the game in the Alamo Dome which favors the team with speed.

gobbler grad
12-01-2006, 09:13 AM
good article...Coach Reeve knows what he's up against tonight...he has a good game plan, all they have to do is EXECUTE IT...:thinking: bottom line , have to play well and control the ball...will be an exciting game, so you don't want to miss this one...good luck to both teams and see ya at the DOME...:D

In the words of the almighty "WILDGOBBLER"...

GO MEAN GREEN...:cheerl: :cheerl:

pancho villa
12-01-2006, 09:15 AM
I think the team that scores the most points will win!

SWAMP-RAT
12-01-2006, 10:30 AM
I think the team that scores the most points will win!

:thumbsup:

IHStangFan
12-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Phil may have a point....

that being said, I think this one will be one for the books....a real nail biter! wish I could be there!

wooden bear
12-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Points off of turnovers. Whoever has the most will win, most important stat in football.

wimbo_pro
12-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Yep...turnovers will probably be the key.

luvhoops34
12-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Wimbo, you going to the game?

wimbo_pro
12-01-2006, 04:36 PM
OF COURSE LUVHOOPS!!! I will be there before 6pm. I will try and go to the M&G.