PDA

View Full Version : Texas: Pot calling the kettle black?

g$$
11-30-2006, 10:21 PM
**Good article comparing the hits last year on Colorado's QB with this year's A&M game. See what you think.

Big 12

Buck Harvey: Blame for Aggie hits goes higher

Web Posted: 11/29/2006 10:53 PM CST

San Antonio Express-News

The blow came as the dangerous ones do, helmet to head, with the quarterback vulnerable after a throw. The play drew a flag, which is standard, and the quarterback had to be carried off.

No one apologized afterward; no one even said much about it, except for the coach of the injured player. The winners were too busy celebrating, and, besides, isn't that college football?

Colt McCoy only watched that day.

Now, a year later, the Colorado quarterback struck by Texas the way McCoy was struck by the Aggies wonders when this will end.

"We've got to fix this," Joel Klatt said this week.

Klatt saw what happened to McCoy. Klatt's only memory of his own hit is through replays.

Klatt had suffered concussions before, and he says Texas gave him another earlier in the 2005 season. That play also drew a penalty.

But the one a year ago this week in the Big 12 title game frightened as no other. Then, late in the third quarter with Texas already routing Colorado 70-3, linebacker Drew Kelson came on a blitz. After Klatt threw, the crown of Kelson's helmet slammed into Klatt's chin.

The ref saw it correctly, and he threw a flag. But 15 yards didn't rectify much. Klatt stayed overnight in a Houston hospital, his wife of six months by his side, and he missed Colorado's bowl game.

Final exams a few weeks later were more telling. Klatt had made all-academic teams before, but he couldn't do better than a C on any of his tests.

"I got the worst grades of my life," he said this week by telephone from Colorado. "I couldn't read. Words would jell together."

He said various players and coaches called to wish him well, but he didn't hear from anyone at Texas. "It's not an importance to me," Klatt said. "To be shown some courtesy would have been nice, more so for my wife than me. But they were going to the national championship game and had more to worry about than me."

For those who wonder how the Aggies could celebrate in Austin with McCoy requiring a cart: That's an answer.

That doesn't make it right, and looking away only feeds the craziness. The media has been part of this, too.

Texas' Robert Killebrew, for example, drew four personal-foul penalties in 2005, including two in the Rose Bowl. But, as one newspaper story later framed it, Killebrew also helped "fuel the new image of the Longhorns as a rock 'em, sock 'em team that would tee off on its own grandmothers."

Fans love this macho edge. But what would happen if an NFL linebacker went after Peyton Manning the way an Aggie went after McCoy? What if Manning was 20 yards from the play, unbuckling his chinstrap after an interception, when clobbered?

The attacker would be fined and suspended.

"It's an investment thing," Klatt said. "The NFL knows what drives its sport, and the league protects its players because they sell."

Klatt says both hits he took from Texas last season would have earned a fine and/or suspension in the NFL. But the NCAA's only discipline has been to walk off 15 yards or eject.

Conference officials or the institution can always suspend. But Dennis Franchione isn't going to sit down a player any more than Bill Parcells would Roy Williams for a hit.

As for how often any college player has been suspended for a spear or late hit: Grant Teaff, the executive director of the American Football Coaches Association, can't remember one.

Teaff is concerned, which is why this issue is already on the agenda for his group when it meets in San Antonio in January. "Trust me," Teaff said this week, "there will be much discussion about this."

Klatt loves hearing that. "If they want to exploit us as athletes and sell our jerseys and put us on video games," Klatt said, "then they should protect us on the field better. Maybe then, in the future, we get that compensation and possibly go to the NFL."

And once in the NFL?

Then, among bigger and faster bodies, at least someone is looking out for them.

g$$
11-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Football is a violent sport no doubt. But it is a shame NO ONE from Texas found the time to call the Colorado qb after he spent the night in the hospital following that hit from Kelson.

Before you Horns rag on Heard much more, Killebrew had 4 flagrant (personal foul) penalties last year & bragged about them creating toughness for the defense.

I mean, the NC game was "only" a month away. Good job Mack picking up the phone to call a kid with memory loss & a concussion due to a hit that was flagged against a Longhorn.

Emerson1
11-30-2006, 10:39 PM
Did Fran call up Colt?

g$$
11-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Did Fran call up Colt?

I don't know but I do know Colt did NOT spend the night in the hospital. Was released that evening. Klatt did stay overnight & had some lingering effects for quite a while according to article above.

Klatt was really hurt last year & that was play was flagged, as it should have been. Bennett's hit on Colt was a perfect form tackle & I have a pic to prove it. Now I have to learn how to post it here.

KL3
11-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Killebrew has been the dirtiest player in the Big 12 from the moment he stepped on campus....

SintonFan
11-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Football is a violent sport no doubt. But it is a shame NO ONE from Texas found the time to call the Colorado qb after he spent the night in the hospital following that hit from Kelson.

Before you Horns rag on Heard much more, Killebrew had 4 flagrant penalties last year & bragged about them creating toughness for the defense.

I mean, the NC game was "only" a month away. Good job Mack picking up the phone to call a kid with memory loss & a concussion due to a hit that was flagged against a Longhorn.
Where are the quotes from Kilebrew you mention? How do you come up with Killebrew having four "flagrant" penalties when the word flagrant is only used in the NBA?
How many steps did Heard take before he hit McCoy?

Emerson1
11-30-2006, 11:16 PM
I don't remember Texas getting any 15 yard penalties in the rose bowl.

JHS_c/o_06'
11-30-2006, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I don't know but I do know Colt did NOT spend the night in the hospital. Was released that evening. Klatt did stay overnight & had some lingering effects for quite a while according to article above.

But Klatt did get up and stumble off (with help).....Colt was barely able to lift his left arm.

g$$
11-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Where are the quotes from Kilebrew you mention? How do you come up with Killebrew having four "flagrant" penalties when the word flagrant is only used in the NBA?
How many steps did Heard take before he hit McCoy?

So a personal foul in football would not be the basically same as the basketball "flagrant"? Ejection or not? Sorry if you don't like the word & it says so in the article about the "toughness, etc." concerning Killebrew. Flagrant means "intentional" or "dirty" or "outside the rules" by definition right?

BTW, wasn't Killebrew flagged in the NC on a sideline hit or was that in the Big 12 Title Game? I believe he got flagged for a late hit vs. USC in the 1st half.

Who cares about Heard? I have said it was cheap numerous times. You are grasping for straws & chasing butterflies buddy.

JHS_c/o_06'
11-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by g$$
You are grasping for straws & chasing butterflies buddy.

And you are beating a dead horse.....its over....game was a week ago.....one hit was legal....the other one wasnt. Lets be done with the subject. Please.

g$$
11-30-2006, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
But Klatt did get up and stumble off (with help).....Colt was barely able to lift his left arm.

So? Your point is...?

What does overnight in hospital mean to you?
Memory loss?
Trouble reading?

JHS_c/o_06'
11-30-2006, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by g$$
So? Your point is...?

What does overnight in hospital mean to you?
Memory loss?
Trouble reading?

The point is....if we are going to turn football into a gentleman's sport....then if something like this happens....the coach should call no matter what......it shouldn't be assessed by "oh....well.....he didn't spend the night in the hospital.....so its ok."

so can we PLEASE stop talking about this.....there have been eleventybillion threads over this already. And the same stuff has been said over and over.

KL3
11-30-2006, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I don't remember Texas getting any 15 yard penalties in the rose bowl.

From the official boxscore:

H 1-G U06 Leinart, Matt sacked for loss of 2 yards to the UT8 (TEAM), PENALTY UT LH (Killebrew, Robert) 4 yards to the UT4, 1ST DOWN USC.

H 2-9 H21 Leinart, Matt pass complete to Kirtman, David for 33 yards to the UT46, 1ST DOWN USC (;Huff, Michael;Griffin, Cedric), PENALTY UT roughing passer (Killebrew, Robert) 15 yards to the UT31, 1ST DOWN USC

g$$
11-30-2006, 11:37 PM

Because he landed on his elbow after the legal hit. Watch the replay & you'll see it.

JHS_c/o_06'
11-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Because he landed on his elbow after the legal hit. Watch the replay & you'll see it.

for the love of god man....let it die....i dont care....you sound like your trying to prove something to yourself more so then to any of us.

g$$
11-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by KL3
From the official boxscore:

H 1-G U06 Leinart, Matt sacked for loss of 2 yards to the UT8 (TEAM), PENALTY UT LH (Killebrew, Robert) 4 yards to the UT4, 1ST DOWN USC.

H 2-9 H21 Leinart, Matt pass complete to Kirtman, David for 33 yards to the UT46, 1ST DOWN USC (;Huff, Michael;Griffin, Cedric), PENALTY UT roughing passer (Killebrew, Robert) 15 yards to the UT31, 1ST DOWN USC

So Killebrew had a late hit & roughing the passer vs. USC?
Thought so.

He is a smart guy too who had a very subpar season for the Horns & LB corps in general.

SintonFan
11-30-2006, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by g$$
So a personal foul in football would not be the basically same as the basketball "flagrant"? Ejection or not? Sorry if you don't like the word & it says so in the article about the "toughness, etc." concerning Killebrew. Flagrant means "intentional" or "dirty" or "outside the rules" by definition right?

BTW, wasn't Killebrew flagged in the NC on a sideline hit or was that in the Big 12 Title Game? I believe he got flagged for a late hit vs. USC in the 1st half.

Who cares about Heard? I have said it was cheap numerous times. You are grasping for straws & chasing butterflies buddy.
No grasping for straws here(I hate butterflies lol). You mentioned Heard so I did too.
And yes, when you use the word "Flagrant"(which was never used in the article) versus "personal foul" you tend to show an inability to post in a manner than is objective. I am a fan of both teams. Why bring up Killebrew now anyway, I'm curious?

g$$
11-30-2006, 11:43 PM
for the love of god man....let it die....i dont care....you sound like your trying to prove something to yourself more so then to any of us.

You ever thought I posted it just to get under your skin after your comments earlier this week?

Looks like you took the bait, thanks.

Case closed.

SintonFan
11-30-2006, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by g$$
You ever thought I posted it just to get under your skin after your comments earlier this week?

Case closed.
Is this Jasper vs WOS or AtM vs UT?:D

g$$
11-30-2006, 11:46 PM
No grasping for straws here(I hate butterflies lol). You mentioned Heard so I did too.
And yes, when you use the word "Flagrant"(which was never used in the article) versus "personal foul" you tend to show an inability to post in a manner than is objective. I am a fan of both teams. Why bring up Killebrew now anyway, I'm curious?

Because for all the flak Heard is taking, Killebrew has a much longer track record of dirty play. Look at last year, look at his career.

My vocabulary is just fine, thanks. Personal foul / flagrant act / whatever, it is 15 yds. & deserved.

JHS_c/o_06'
11-30-2006, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Case closed.

If so, (assuming i was to begin with) that makes you just as arrogant, bias and evil as I. Which destroys any credibility you had, which i don't think you had any to begin with. So if you really did that just to get under my skin..and me personally....i'd like to point out that a freshman in college is more mature then you. The only reason i asked you to drop the subject is because it's old news....and there is NO reason for 3 threads on this in one day.

For the rest of my post g$$...click here

HERE MAN! (http://youlose.ytmnd.com/)

g$$
11-30-2006, 11:54 PM
Thanks for playing, please move along now & get another t-shirt.

Maybe??

ALAMO BOWL
SAN ANTONIO, TX
TEXAS (9-3) vs. IOWA (6-6)

"Battle of disappointing teams who faded down the stretch."

That will be a hot commodity!

JHS_c/o_06'
11-30-2006, 11:55 PM
your true colors are showing.....what happened to all the objectivity you asked for in the last week. Practice what you preach brother. :)

SintonFan
11-30-2006, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Because for all the flak Heard is taking, Killebrew has a much longer track record of dirty play. Look at last year, look at his career.

My vocabulary is just fine, thanks. Personal foul / flagrant act / whatever, it is 15 yds. & deserved.
Funny... but the article just brings up last year. What about Killebrew's carreer? Why quote Buck Harvey's article anyway, many from SA can't stand the guy.
I think, if I have this right(and know my vocabulary), that you are trying to defend Heard by bringing up an article about a Texas player that makes Heard look like an Angel?:thinking:
Two wrongs make a what....?

handNthedirt
11-30-2006, 11:59 PM
the fact of the matter is, the better team one, fair and square. stay outta trouble, and we'll see ya next year.

Adidas410s
12-01-2006, 12:08 AM
for the 18th time...

Dear G$$...

Grow up

Learn to let things go!

Thanks,

The 3ADownlow Community

:)

BreckTxLonghorn
12-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
for the 18th time...

Dear G$$...

Grow up

Learn to let things go!

Thanks,

The 3ADownlow Community

:)

:clap: :clap:

SintonFan
12-01-2006, 12:15 AM
Man yall I'm sorry...
I never read all those threads from last week or weekend and all...
:( :( :(

Adidas410s
12-01-2006, 12:22 AM
Man yall I'm sorry...
I never read all those threads from last week or weekend and all...
:( :( :(

I didn't either. I've looked at maybe two of them...it's the EXACT SAME THING from the same people in EVERY one of them. Go ask RM how many threads she has locked on these matters in the past week.

SintonFan
12-01-2006, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I didn't either. I've looked at maybe two of them...it's the EXACT SAME THING from the same people in EVERY one of them. Go ask RM how many threads she has locked on these matters in the past week.
I aint gonna ask her...*scared* lol