PDA

View Full Version : What bowl will Texas wind up in?

charlesrixey
11-30-2006, 07:02 PM
Haven't heard anything, but then i have been in New Mexico for the past week, having some fun at an AF Base.

What's the verdict?

Old Tiger
11-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Most likely Gator bowl but if not that one then the Alamo/Cotton

charlesrixey
11-30-2006, 07:04 PM
any word on potential opponents?

really wish we had made it to the fiesta bowl so we could dominate boise state. I have a buddy from Boise and he loves to talk the broncos up. I like them, but if it would shut him up.....

Old Tiger
11-30-2006, 07:05 PM
Gator Bowl
Texas vs. Clemson/Maryland

Cotton Bowl
Texas vs. SEC team

Alamo
Texas vs. Big 10 team probably

mwynn05
11-30-2006, 07:06 PM
It wont be the Cotton Bowl according to my sources

Old Tiger
11-30-2006, 07:07 PM
Your right. The loser of the Big 12 championship will get the Cotton bowl. I forgot about that.

Txbroadcaster
11-30-2006, 07:08 PM
Iowa is almost a 100% invite to the Alamo..So that would be Texas opponent there

Cotton has pretty much said they are taken loser of Nebraska vs Oklahoma UNLESS Gator bowl takes OU, and until everything happened Gator was in LOVE with OU and they have the option to take a Big 12 team over other bowls for this year.

I still think it breaks down like this as far as chances

Alamo 60%
Gator 30%
Cotton 10%

SintonFan_inAustin
11-30-2006, 07:08 PM
has texas ever played in the alamo bowl?

Adidas410s
11-30-2006, 07:09 PM
the only wayTexas ends up in the Cotton Bowl would be if Arkansas somehow fell past the Outback Bowl (highly unlikely)and Cotton could take them. Otherwise it will be the loser of Nebraska/OU. If it's the Gator Bowl then they'll play Georgia Tech (if they lose the ACC championship game) or Virginia Tech if (Ga Tech wins the ACC championship game). If the Gator doesn't take a Big 12 team then they will fall to the Alamo Bowl and play Iowa.

Adidas410s
11-30-2006, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Iowa is almost a 100% invite to the Alamo..So that would be Texas opponent there

Cotton has pretty much said they are taken loser of Nebraska vs Oklahoma UNLESS Gator bowl takes OU, and until everything happened Gator was in LOVE with OU and they have the option to take a Big 12 team over other bowls for this year.

Alamo 60%
Gator 30%
Cotton 10%

The Cotton gets to choose their Big 12 team before the Gator Bowl so they have 1st shot at the loser of OU/Nebraska.

g$$
11-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

Alamo 60%
Gator 30%
Cotton 10%

Iowa has already accepted the Alamo Bowl bid a few days ago. If Texas falls to the Alamo against a 6-6 team, then all heck will break loose.

charlesrixey
11-30-2006, 07:12 PM
I would rather see them play an ACC team over Iowa. Iowa wouldn't be very exciting other than having Drew Tate come home.

Adidas410s
Originally posted by g$$
Iowa has already accepted the Alamo Bowl bid a few days ago. If Texas falls to the Alamo against a 6-6 team, then all heck will break loose.

true...true...:thumbsup:

Old Tiger
Which Bowl pays more, Alamo or Gator?

Txbroadcaster
11-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by g$$

I thought they had..did not want to say they had cause could not remember for sure

and your right..if they play them it is a no win for Texas..honestly kinda like the Fiesta would have been agianst Boise St...You win big..of course you should have look who your playing

If it is close or by god you lose you get to hear the bs of wow you got beat by an average team

g$$
11-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
The Cotton gets to choose their Big 12 team before the Gator Bowl so they have 1st shot at the loser of OU/Nebraska.

Not if Gator uses 1-time exemption they have every 4 years to jump the Cotton. Gator has to take a Big 12 team 2/4 years too.

buffalo2006
11-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Texas better go to the Alamo b/c i just bought two tickets for my girlfriend for a christmas present

whtfbplaya
11-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by buffalo2006
Texas better go to the Alamo b/c i just bought two tickets for my girlfriend for a christmas present

LOL:hand: :doh: :nerd: and your gonna call it her present?:D

charlesrixey
11-30-2006, 08:13 PM
i agree with broadcaster on this one---how much would it hurt to lose to a 6-6 Iowa in a bowl game in Texas?:(

SintonFan
11-30-2006, 08:40 PM
After that K-State game I'd say Texas can play in the Toilet Bowl.:twitch: :weeping:

Who-dun-it!!?
11-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Toilet Bowl?

SintonFan
11-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Who-dun-it!!?
Toilet Bowl?
*SPLUUUUSSSSSHHHH*
:D

Emerson1
11-30-2006, 09:02 PM
MSNBC had Texas in the Alamo with Tennesee. I would love that matchup.

g$$
11-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
MSNBC had Texas in the Alamo with Tennesee. I would love that matchup.

That would be 2 ugly shades of orange going at it, & impossible. Alamo has already asked Iowa & they accepted.

Cannot happen in Alamo Bowl.

g$$
11-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
i agree with broadcaster on this one---how much would it hurt to lose to a 6-6 Iowa in a bowl game in Texas?:(

That would more than sting, for sure.

Iowa is avg. team but if Drew Tate got hot it could happen. Remember LSU Bowl game 2 years ago? Iowa upset LSU on last second pass to win.

TMer25
11-30-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by g$$
That would more than sting, for sure. Iowa is avg. team but if Drew Tate got hurt it could happen. Remember LSU Bowl game 2 years ago? Iowa upset LSU on last second pass to win.

I'm hoping you meant to say if Tate got hot it could happen lol.

KTJ
11-30-2006, 09:45 PM
If we go to the Alamo, I, along with several Longhorns, won't be that upset. I've spent so much money the last two years going to Pasadena. Hitting San Antonio would cost me 50 bucks, tops. Also, I could see us beating an average Iowa team pretty good, setting up a boost in team morale for next season.

But from what I'm hearing, UT is the choice should the Gator Bowl want to go with a Big 12 team. I think if WV wins, they are heading to the Gator. But if Rutgers wins, Gator will take Texas. CBS really wants the Gator to take Texas so it will increase TV ratings.

g$$
11-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by TMer25
I'm hoping you meant to say if Tate got hot it could happen lol.

Misworded that my bad. You know what I meant! Upset could happen if Drew Tate got hot like against LSU 2 years ago. Texas has had pass defense problems all year big-time.

stxfootballfan
11-30-2006, 09:53 PM
Gator Bowl said they are waiting till sunday to make their pick

g$$
11-30-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
If we go to the Alamo, I, along with several Longhorns, won't be that upset. I've spent so much money the last two years going to Pasadena. Hitting San Antonio would cost me 50 bucks, tops. Also, I could see us beating an average Iowa team pretty good, setting up a boost in team morale for next season.

But from what I'm hearing, UT is the choice should the Gator Bowl want to go with a Big 12 team. I think if WV wins, they are heading to the Gator. But if Rutgers wins, Gator will take Texas. CBS really wants the Gator to take Texas so it will increase TV ratings.

I hear you about the money, but don't spin it like you are happy & content to be playing in the struggling Alamo Bowl against an avg. Big 10 team that is 6-6.

WVU wins this weekend too IMO.

SintonFan
11-30-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I hear you about the money, but don't spin it like you are happy & content to be playing in the strugglung Alamo Bowl against an avg. Big 10 team that is 6-6.

I'd be happy if Texas went to the Alamo Bowl. I'd be there and rooting for them to win. The after game party at my house would kick ash.:cool:

wedo
12-01-2006, 12:25 AM
the only wayTexas ends up in the Cotton Bowl would be if Arkansas somehow fell past the Outback Bowl (highly unlikely)and Cotton could take them. Otherwise it will be the loser of Nebraska/OU. If it's the Gator Bowl then they'll play Georgia Tech (if they lose the ACC championship game) or Virginia Tech if (Ga Tech wins the ACC championship game). If the Gator doesn't take a Big 12 team then they will fall to the Alamo Bowl and play Iowa.

Texas vs. Va.Tech that would be a great game! Va Tech is hot right now and a win against them would be great for Texas and they could end the season on a good note!

Bulldog_12
12-01-2006, 12:28 AM
From what I have been hearing, the Gator Bowl looks to take texas if clemson is the one representing the ACC in the bowl. They really are pushing for a Clemson/texas matchup. If clemson doesnt make it, then expect texas to play in san antonio.

KTJ
12-01-2006, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by g$$
I hear you about the money, but don't spin it like you are happy & content to be playing in the strugglung Alamo Bowl against an avg. Big 10 team that is 6-6.

How do you know how I feel?

If we play in the Alamo Bowl, I'll feel fine. I'll be there supporting my team. Doesn't make me any more mad or less happy. Why would it?

:confused:

Old Tiger
12-01-2006, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
How do you know how I feel?

If we play in the Alamo Bowl, I'll feel fine. I'll be there supporting my team. Doesn't make me any more mad or less happy. Why would it?

:confused: I guess he thinks since Texas isn't in a BCS bowl your mad.

KTJ
12-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
I guess he thinks since Texas isn't in a BCS bowl your mad.

Probably.

g$$
12-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by g$$
I hear you about the money, but don't spin it like you are happy & content to be playing in the struggling Alamo Bowl against an avg. Big 10 team that is 6-6.

When UT falls to the Alamo Bowl (maybe), I don't buy it from any Horn who says "fine, let's do it".

I did not say you were suicidal, just not giddy about Alamo Bowl.

Adidas410s
12-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Not if Gator uses 1-time exemption they have every 4 years to jump the Cotton. Gator has to take a Big 12 team 2/4 years too.

BOWL SELECTION ORDER
Again this season, the Big 12 has eight bowl slots guaranteed. The Conference is partnered with nine bowls. However the arrangement with the Gator Bowl is for it to select a Big 12 team twice over a four-year period. In the two years in which the Gator does not select a Big 12 team, the Sun Bowl will. Following is the selection order:
BCS
Cotton
Holiday
Gator (when it selects a Big 12 team)
Alamo
Sun (when the Gator does not take a Big 12 team)
Insight
Independence
Texas

g$$
12-01-2006, 11:36 AM
BOWL SELECTION ORDER
Again this season, the Big 12 has eight bowl slots guaranteed. The Conference is partnered with nine bowls. However the arrangement with the Gator Bowl is for it to select a Big 12 team twice over a four-year period. In the two years in which the Gator does not select a Big 12 team, the Sun Bowl will. Following is the selection order:
BCS
Cotton
Holiday
Gator (when it selects a Big 12 team)
Alamo
Sun (when the Gator does not take a Big 12 team)
Insight
Independence
Texas

There is a provision (from what I have read) where the Gator Bowl CAN once every 4 years jump the Cotton in the picking order.

Will it happen this year? I don't know. Supposedly they do not want OU or NEB.

Adidas410s
12-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by g$$
There is a provision (from what I have read) where the Gator Bowl CAN once every 4 years jump the Cotton in the picking order.

Will it happen this year? I don't know. Supposedly they do not want OU or NEB.

I'm just quoting what the Big 12 website. You would think they would mention all possible exemptions in their explanation.