PDA

View Full Version : uta football rally was a disater

DU_stud04
11-30-2006, 03:38 PM
i saw them march by the library while studying for my test, it looked like a sad sight.... id still like football to come to uta, but there is zero school spirit.

About 70 attend a rally seeking football revival
By LEILA FADEL
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

ARLINGTON - Sam deBerry had hoped hundreds of people would march to bring football back to the University of Texas at Arlington, but about 70 turned out for a noon rally Wednesday.

"It speaks volumes of where we are as a school," deBerry said. "If any other campus had a rally, they would have had thousands of students. We have very little school spirit."

The Mavericks for Football Now and other students, many in T-shirts emblazoned with the words, "Got football? (we don't)" walked with deBerry from the University Center Mall to Davis Hall, where the university president's office is housed.

"What do we want?" deBerry yelled through a bullhorn.

"Football," the small crowd of football activists yelled back.

DeBerry started the group this year to attempt what no one has been able to do, bring a football team back to UT-Arlington. The program was disbanded after the 1985 season.

Armed with a petition with about 3,000 signatures and a booming voice emanating from a bullhorn, deBerry asked James Spaniolo to come outside.

"Mr. President, your student body would like a word with you," deBerry said.

Instead, Frank Lamas, vice president for student affairs, walked forward with his arm extended. He had been waiting with five UT-Arlington police officers. Just in case.

"The president isn't here," he said.

Spaniolo was at a faculty meeting across campus. The activist pleaded his case to Lamas, asking why the campus would expand and renovate the Activities Building for $34 million but ignore football.

"We love our university, and we love our city. We just want to build a sense of pride," deBerry said.

Lamas thanked him, reiterated the president's goal of first breathing life into current sports and took the petition.

One student who did not want to be identified asked deBerry why he would want football when barely anyone turns out to watch the basketball team, which plays in an auditorium.

Somewhat dejected, deBerry and other members of the group folded up their large "WE WANT FOOTBALL" banners and walked away.

The movement will continue, deBerry said. The group is forming a club football team to play in the Texas United Football League and will begin a $20 million pledge drive after the new year.

"We fight the good fight. We won't rest until we bring football to UTA," he said.

DeBerry paused. "OK, off to lunch."

DU_stud04
11-30-2006, 04:09 PM
video....slideshow thingy..... (http://www.dfw.com/multimedia/dfw/news/archive/061129UTAfootball/index.html)

injuredinmelee
11-30-2006, 04:15 PM
It takes a university willing to put together a top notch program to run a succesful football program. Fielding a competitive team with a good coach would only elevate fan participation in all sports across the board. Football will always be king in Texas. Them using the lack of fan support for basketball is a cop out.

pirate4state
11-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
It takes a university willing to put together a top notch program to run a succesful football program. Fielding a competitive team with a good coach would only elevate fan participation in all sports across the board. Football will always be king in Texas. Them using the lack of fan support for basketball is a cop out.

:clap: I agree. I'm sorry DU. Never say die!! :)

sahen
11-30-2006, 04:45 PM
basketball in an auditorium? i kinda wanna go see that now...sounds kinda dangerous, extreme basketball...dont fall in the pit!

CalallenWildcat
11-30-2006, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by sahen
basketball in an auditorium? i kinda wanna go see that now...sounds kinda dangerous, extreme basketball...dont fall in the pit!

Not unheard of...I think the New York WNBA team played a few games in Radio City Music Hall a few years back.

DU_stud04
11-30-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by sahen

ill try and take a few pictures next time i go to a game. its a game on a stage, with a 5-6 foot drop. theyve been talking about building a new but since ours is so "unique" theyre still unsure of it,....like everything else here on campus.