PDA

View Full Version : Wing-T

Old Tiger
11-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Why don't many great 5a schools run this offense. I figure with the athletes 5a has that they could be VERY effecting running this offense. Also does the more athletic defenses stop it easier? Any opinions about it in larger classicications?

Discuss.

RMAC
11-30-2006, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing you said. It seems to me you answered your own question. While yes, at the 5A level, they have the talent to run a very deadly wing-T, the defenses are just as fast as the offenses and they can defend it. Will it work against some lower 5A's? Probably, just like it does when a good 3A runs it against a crappy one. The differnece is that in 3A you can win a state title with it but in 5A it would be very, very hard.

kaorder1999
11-30-2006, 12:05 PM
Trinity won a 5A state championship last year with a version of it. Burleson is very good with the Wing T. They won their district this year but lost in the first round. The head coach there, Mel Maxfield, was the Former Forney Jackrabbit head coach when Forney played in a state championship a few years ago

kaorder1999
11-30-2006, 12:06 PM
offenses cycle through. Years an years ago it was the single wing, then the Wing-T, then a version of the Wing-Bone, then the spread, which is actually just the single wing and the cycle will begin again

kaorder1999
11-30-2006, 12:13 PM
here is the Old TCU Spread formation in their single wing...looks familiar!

http://www.coachwyatt.com/singlewing10.gif

Adidas410s
11-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
here is the Old TCU Spread formation in their single wing...looks familiar!

http://www.coachwyatt.com/singlewing10.gif

NO!!! :mad: ;)

Adidas410s
11-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Trinity won a 5A state championship last year with a version of it. Burleson is very good with the Wing T. They won their district this year but lost in the first round. The head coach there, Mel Maxfield, was the Former Forney Jackrabbit head coach when Forney played in a state championship a few years ago
Garland won state a few years ago with the Wing T (2000 maybe)

kaorder1999
11-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Garland won state a few years ago with the Wing T (2000 maybe)

sure did...i forgot about that. They were hard core wing T. I was SHOCKED when Joe Allen went to the spread at Allen

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-30-2006, 01:41 PM
The Spread - I call it the "Monkey See, Monkey Do" offense.

Southlake Carroll runs it and wins the title with it, then other coaches drop their old offensive philosophies and switch to the spread, i.e. Joe Allen @ Allen like a previous poster mentioned.

g$$
11-30-2006, 05:30 PM
What offense you run is only as good as the players executing it. Football is cyclical. The classification is not as important as the execution. Defenses will adjust too. The wishbone was the thing to do for a long time, then the I, now it is zone read & spread.

I still favor a multiple, pro style offense with few tendencies. But again, with talent & execution any offense can work at any class.

JR2004
11-30-2006, 08:05 PM
offenses cycle through. Years an years ago it was the single wing, then the Wing-T, then a version of the Wing-Bone, then the spread, which is actually just the single wing and the cycle will begin again

UT won a national title last year while running what amounted to the old single wing.

JR2004
11-30-2006, 08:06 PM
sure did...i forgot about that. They were hard core wing T. I was SHOCKED when Joe Allen went to the spread at Allen

Garland won state with it in 1999. They're still running that over at Garland last time I checked. I think when they played Carter last year the game was over in under two hours with all the running plays both teams ran.

kaorder1999
11-30-2006, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Garland won state with it in 1999. They're still running that over at Garland last time I checked. I think when they played Carter last year the game was over in under two hours with all the running plays both teams ran.

Joe Martin left Garland and went to Allen....i called him Joe Allen earlier...oops....

g$$
11-30-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
UT won a national title last year while running what amounted to the old single wing.

The zone read is much more comparable to modern day triple option, which was the basis of the wishbone & veer. Give to up back, read end & pitch or keep off of him. Then play action pass off that. Simplest terms of course but that's it.

Football is football. Too many people try to complicate it. And football coaches are the biggest copy cats in the world if something has some success.

Single wing by definition requires direct snaps to backs & at different angles. Lots of variations like double wing, etc. & other formations too.