PDA

View Full Version : Snead to Transfer

Txbroadcaster
11-29-2006, 10:05 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/113006dnspoutsnead.39ee6214.html

coach
11-29-2006, 10:07 PM
i also heard from a very reliable source he is also looking at SFA but i would think he would go to TCU

Gobbla2001
11-29-2006, 10:09 PM
You know it is a very smart move by Snead... I think Snead is a great QB, and I am a UT fan... but you can't count on McCoy suffering a season ending injury...

It seems that Snead went to UT because he figured he could beat out any QB there, he didn't, and now he's making the smart decision to transfer... I don't think he can overtake McCoy if McCoy is healthy...

Snead has a chance at making the NFL, being scouted is very important, 2nd string QB's are not as scouted (obviously)...

coach
11-29-2006, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
You know it is a very smart move by Snead... I think Snead is a great QB, and I am a UT fan... but you can't count on McCoy suffering a season ending injury...

It seems that Snead went to UT because he figured he could beat out any QB there, he didn't, and now he's making the smart decision to transfer... I don't think he can overtake McCoy if McCoy is healthy...

Snead has a chance at making the NFL, being scouted is very important, 2nd string QB's are not as scouted (obviously)...

u think he is good enough to play in the nfl?

Txbroadcaster
11-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Sorry but if he cannot beat out Colt, who IMO willbe a great College Qb, but not a pro one, then I dont think he will make it in the NFL

Gobbla2001
11-29-2006, 10:13 PM
I didn't say he'd be a starting QB in the NFL, but look at the 2nd and 3rd stringers on the NFL rosters, they're not the best batch of cookies Oreo ever put out...

coach
11-29-2006, 10:14 PM
I didn't say he'd be a starting QB in the NFL, but look at the 2nd and 3rd stringers on the NFL rosters, they're not the best batch of cookies Oreo ever put out...

chocolate chips are better but oreo's are good too

Gobbla2001
11-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by coach
chocolate chips are better but oreo's are good too

I like milk with both... honestly I tried very hard to think of a popular cookie brand... just decided on oreo... I like it with my DQ blizzards

Old Tiger
11-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Knew he would.

Gobbla2001
11-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Plus the kid doesn't want to be second behind anyone... it just shows that the kid wants to play...

Txbroadcaster
11-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Plus the kid doesn't want to be second behind anyone... it just shows that the kid wants to play...

IMO also shows he is afraid of some competiton..He is going to Florida, then Tebow signs, so boom he is at Texas...Now Colt looks to be the man, so boom he is gone again

Gobbla2001
11-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
IMO also shows he is afraid of some competiton..He is going to Florida, then Tebow signs, so boom he is at Texas...Now Colt looks to be the man, so boom he is gone again

very good point, very...

Lion92
11-29-2006, 10:46 PM
You can't blame him for wanting to play, and chances are he would never overtake McCoy.

Old Tiger
11-29-2006, 10:47 PM
I heard Chiles is wanting to enroll early and could rival Colt for the starting spot.

^^^^Speculation

3afan
11-29-2006, 10:49 PM

its to early to tell IMO ......

Uncle Buck
11-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Sorry but if he cannot beat out Colt, who IMO willbe a great College Qb, but not a pro one, then I dont think he will make it in the NFL

Chris Simms never beat out Major Applewhite. Yet he is an NFL Talent.

tiger_94
11-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Ive heard Houston, this is Kolbs last year and Briles was at Stephenville not to long ago

SWMustang
11-29-2006, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by tiger_94
Ive heard Houston, this is Kolbs last year and Briles was at Stephenville not to long ago
I think that makes the most sense. That Wylie QB from last year is a red shirt this year though.

Old Tiger
11-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I think that makes the most sense. That Wylie QB from last year is a red shirt this year though. Snead was an elite 11 QB ;)

coach
Originally posted by Uncle Buck
Chris Simms never beat out Major Applewhite. Yet he is an NFL Talent.

yeah he did

Old Tiger
yeah he did Shouldn't have :(

Gobbla2001
11-29-2006, 10:55 PM
yeah he did

But how many times did Mack have to send in The Major to make for a better game????

Too many...

Txbroadcaster
11-29-2006, 11:03 PM
But how many times did Mack have to send in The Major to make for a better game????

Too many...

actually just once..the Big 12 title game, then he started the bowl game...I have said this before, and will again..Major Applewhite has become the most OVERRATED player in Texas History..People want to jump on Simms for his OU losses, the Big 12 Champ game melt down and all that...No one mentions Major lost to the likes of NC State, Stanford, lost a Big 12 title game himself...I loved Major, but people act like he was undefeated and Simms never won.

Gobbla2001
11-29-2006, 11:12 PM
actually just once..the Big 12 title game, then he started the bowl game...I have said this before, and will again..Major Applewhite has become the most OVERRATED player in Texas History..People want to jump on Simms for his OU losses, the Big 12 Champ game melt down and all that...No one mentions Major lost to the likes of NC State, Stanford, lost a Big 12 title game himself...I loved Major, but people act like he was undefeated and Simms never won.

But when push came to shove, Mack made the decision to go with Applewhite...

I don't believe Applewhite was the better QB, Simms did good... I was never one of the ones bashing him... but Simms just didn't look like an NFL QB in college to me... this is the only reason I bring in the Applewhite comparison... Simms, along with the Younger Manning are so highly touted because of their last names...

just my opinion though, and I've been known to be wrong more times than I'd like to admit

mrescape43
11-29-2006, 11:29 PM
yeah he did

This was the biggest blunder in the Mack Brown era. I don't think that Simms would have had a chance if not for the ACL injury to Applewhite. Major was far and away the best QB of the two.

sinton66
11-29-2006, 11:30 PM
He probably can't do a D1 school without sitting out a year. He could go D2 and play, then transfer to a D1 the next year and play his last 2 as D1.

mrescape43
11-29-2006, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
He probably can't do a D1 school without sitting out a year. He could go D2 and play, then transfer to a D1 the next year and play his last 2 as D1.

Snead could use his redshirt year to sit out and still have 3 years eligibility at a D1 school.

Just Watching
11-29-2006, 11:40 PM
He should go to SFA so he and Bomar can hook it up against each other, adding more flare to the Piney Woods rivalry.

mrescape43
11-29-2006, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Just Watching
He should go to SFA so he and Bomar can hook it up against each other, adding more flare to the Piney Woods rivalry.

Sounds like a plan! :D

sinton66
11-29-2006, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
Snead could use his redshirt year to sit out and still have 3 years eligibility at a D1 school.

You can only redshirt the freshman year, right?

Old Tiger
11-29-2006, 11:47 PM
You can only redshirt the freshman year, right? unless you get hurt and take a medical redshirt

APierce248
11-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Earlier it was discussed Snead would go to SFA or TCU. What are the odds he goes to TCU. They love to do the option and hand off the ball to set up the pass. What are ya'lls thoughts???

Old Tiger
11-29-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by APierce248
Earlier it was discussed Snead would go to SFA or TCU. What are the odds he goes to TCU. They love to do the option and hand off the ball to set up the pass. What are ya'lls thoughts??? Well Snead is capable of the option. He was a top 5 dual thread QB in the nation.

sinton66
11-29-2006, 11:58 PM
I was thinking of the Lone Star Conference. Abilene Christian, Angelo State or A&M Kingsville would welcome him with open arms.

TMer25
11-30-2006, 12:04 AM

While I agree somewhat with your overrated statement about Applewhite, wasn't the big factor in the NC State game the fact that they blocked 3 or 4 of UT's punt attempts?

coach
11-30-2006, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
unless you get hurt and take a medical redshirt

that aint true u can red shirt when ever you want

g$$
11-30-2006, 04:54 AM

No, you can be redshirted any time during your career. You have 5 to play 4 years in college once your clock starts upon enrolling.

Medical redshirts are totally different & must be approved by the NCAA. If approved, they can be at anytime too. Harder to get a medical now than in the old days.

g$$
11-30-2006, 04:55 AM
I would not rule out UH & former Stephenville coach Art Briles.

Snead could use his redshirt year, then have 3 full D1 years left.

5 to play 4 by rule.

mrescape43
11-30-2006, 08:24 AM

I believe that you can redshirt any year. It is stated in the Dallas Morning News that he could do this.

Funk-d-fied
11-30-2006, 09:13 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/texas/stories/113006dnspoutsnead.39ee6214.html

Hope Colt can get it done...

Adidas410s
11-30-2006, 09:19 AM
like 10 threads below yours...

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56027

Funk-d-fied
11-30-2006, 09:24 AM
ok, so what's your point by posting that? Seriously.... I guess you run this board or something? Let me apoligize for committing such a crime.... I am just glad there are people like you on this board who police the scene with a swift and heavy fist.

Funk-d-fied
11-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Cougar High is a good fit for Snead.... the stephenville connection might work out on this one.

Adidas410s
11-30-2006, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Funk-d-fied
ok, so what's your point by posting that? Seriously.... I guess you run this board or something? Let me apoligize for committing such a crime.... I am just glad there are people like you on this board who police the scene with a swift and heavy fist.

I'm helping you out by showing you that there is already a discussion on this topic so that you may go join in on it. You don't always have to be an ass buddy! :thumbsup:

Funk-d-fied
11-30-2006, 09:45 AM
I guess I look at you the same as any other pirate, I guess I need to work on that......

JasperDog94
11-30-2006, 11:27 AM
actually just once..the Big 12 title game, then he started the bowl game...I have said this before, and will again..Major Applewhite has become the most OVERRATED player in Texas History..People want to jump on Simms for his OU losses, the Big 12 Champ game melt down and all that...No one mentions Major lost to the likes of NC State, Stanford, lost a Big 12 title game himself...I loved Major, but people act like he was undefeated and Simms never won. Don't forget the Cotton Bowl against Arkansas.

Phil C
11-30-2006, 11:35 AM
I won't comment on this until it is completely official.

Adidas410s
11-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I won't comment on this until it is completely official.

SPECULATION IS A GOOD THING!!! :mad:

mchavez
11-30-2006, 11:54 AM
Well I don't think they'll let him go, because Colt is hurt and they don't have anyone else to play in the bowl game!!
BTW, does anyone know where Texas is playing yet?

injuredinmelee
11-30-2006, 12:03 PM
Here are my thoughts on this for what they are worth:

Snead is a quitter. How is this different from a kid goes to the park and doesnt get picked for pick up basketball so instead of staying there and battling it out he quits and goes to a lessor game. Will he do this when he is in the real world and gets passed over for a promotion that he thinks he should have handed to him? Will he just walk out and avoid working his butt off to be better than Colt or Jim from accounting that got the promotion? Mack is famous for no loyalty to a starter from the year before. Because you had a starting spot last year doesnt mean that you dont have to win it back in spring and fall with Mack Brown. He would rather transfer to a teir III school and pad stats against inferior opponents than to stick it out and honor a committment he made to the University of Texas. Chances are this kid will never see the NFL. Honestly he didnt look that good when he saw playing time. He cant hit a reciever and constantly overthrows or leaves guys hanging out to dry and giving db's kill shots. Jevan your a quitter and a candy ass girl.

mchavez
11-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

Snead is a quitter. How is this different from a kid goes to the park and doesnt get picked for pick up basketball so instead of staying there and battling it out he quits and goes to a lessor game. Will he do this when he is in the real world and gets passed over for a promotion that he thinks he should have handed to him? Will he just walk out and avoid working his butt off to be better than Colt or Jim from accounting that got the promotion? Mack is famous for no loyalty to a starter from the year before. Because you had a starting spot last year doesnt mean that you dont have to win it back in spring and fall with Mack Brown. He would rather transfer to a teir III school and pad stats against inferior opponents than to stick it out and honor a committment he made to the University of Texas. Chances are this kid will never see the NFL. Honestly he didnt look that good when he saw playing time. He cant hit a reciever and constantly overthrows or leaves guys hanging out to dry and giving db's kill shots. Jevan your a quitter and a candy ass girl.

No way!! I don't agree at all!! This is not the backyard, this is college football!! This guy has a chance to be something, and he wants to play!! Can't blame a guy for wanting to play, and I bet he can start for a lot of schools out there!!

How do you think he's not a good QB, can't blame him for the lose to K-State, he score 42 points!! And the A&M game, come on it was 4th down on their own 20 with less than a minute left!! The kid has some game, but needs some more work!! I think he should transfer, it will be better for him!! He's not a quitter, I'm sure he's put a lot of work into UT's football program!! GOOD LUCK to you Jevan!!

Phil C
11-30-2006, 12:51 PM
IT'S STILL NOT OFFICIAL!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

injuredinmelee
11-30-2006, 01:01 PM
IT'S STILL NOT OFFICIAL!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

This kid avoided Florida because he knew he couldnt beat out Terbow or whatever that other kids name is and now he is gonna quit at UT because he isnt man enough to work and try and beat someone out.

Phil it is gonna happen. I told my brother and dad at the first of the season that Snead wouldnt stay if he got beat out. Turns out I was right. He is a quitter.

Phil C
11-30-2006, 01:36 PM
This kid avoided Florida because he knew he couldnt beat out Terbow or whatever that other kids name is and now he is gonna quit at UT because he isnt man enough to work and try and beat someone out.

Phil it is gonna happen. I told my brother and dad at the first of the season that Snead wouldnt stay if he got beat out. Turns out I was right. He is a quitter.

If it turns out to be so wouldn't it be more tackful to say maybe he is an opportunist. :)

injuredinmelee
11-30-2006, 01:38 PM
If it turns out to be so wouldn't it be more tackful to say maybe he is an opportunist. :)

I dont think so. Coddling these people that are quitters encourages them to be quitters.

Adidas410s
11-30-2006, 02:53 PM

While I mostly agree with your analogy...let me offer up another line of thinking:

Think of what Jevan was facing at Texas trying to get the design contract on a building. Him and one other finalist were asked to give a design presentation. They both did but the company chose the other guys design and will hire him for the job. So instead of hanging around in case the other guy's design fails, he will go out and seek a contract elsewhere.

I'm not saying that is the case here...just another way to look at it.

injuredinmelee
11-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
While I mostly agree with your analogy...let me offer up another line of thinking:

Think of what Jevan was facing at Texas trying to get the design contract on a building. Him and one other finalist were asked to give a design presentation. They both did but the company chose the other guys design and will hire him for the job. So instead of hanging around in case the other guy's design fails, he will go out and seek a contract elsewhere.

I'm not saying that is the case here...just another way to look at it.

He made a commitment to the University. He knew going in that he had to battle for the job.

big daddy russ
11-30-2006, 03:21 PM
Couple things...

I see UT fans dogging McCoy in favor of Snead. I know this isn't all of you, but come on. I know Snead has the big arm and is more mobile, but that doesn't mean he's the better QB. Sure, it'll hurt losing him like this, but I think McCoy will actually wind up being a better college QB than Snead will. I do think that if Snead goes to TCU, he has the chance to turn them into an amazing program. On that note, I like McCoy a whole lot. He's got those intangibles that some of the great ones had.

I know some people (mostly Aggies) have used the excuse that you could put Raggedy Ann under center and she'd be a Heisman contender with all that talent around her, but Colt has transcended what everyone expected of him. He's the leader of that team, and if you're smart you'll appreciate that he's not going to have to worry about being benched for Snead. You have a stud backup (Harris) and a couple of high-profile recruits coming in, but McCoy is the real deal. I expect him to get at least one invite to the Downtown Athletic Club before it's all said and done.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
People were comparing NFL talent to college talent. Sorry, but it doesn't work like that. College greats are college greats and NFL-types aren't necessarily those guys. Would you rather have Joe Hamilton (probably my favorite college QB of all time) and Danny Wuerffel or Tom Brady and Tony Romo as your college QB? Once you get into the NFL, measureables comes into play, just as bigger arms, etc also do. In the college game, they're not as necessary. That's why Hamilton and Wuerffel will go down as two of the all-time greats while Brady will have to settle for a spot in Canton.

Yes, Snead is an NFL-type talent. The scouts will be watching him from day one. No, I don't buy into the fact that he's a quitter. I do buy into the fact that he's smart. He liked Florida, but they had an incoming stud and Snead wouldn't have played. So he chose Texas, but when when Major McCoy surfaced, Snead knew the chances of him EVER starting are slim to none. Call Mack all the names you want, but after the Simms/Applewhite fiasco I think he's much less-likely to yank a starter who's producing like McCoy.

McCoy isn't an NFL QB, so he'll be there all four years. Starting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
66, you have one "free" redshirt that you can use any year. You hardly ever see it used past a kid's freshman year because coaches want the depth that an experienced player gives them, but it can be used as late as their senior year. Many kids who transfer wind up using their free redshirt their transfer year, and that's exactly what Snead will do.

JasperDog94
11-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Major McCoy Nice...

Funk-d-fied
11-30-2006, 03:56 PM
If it's on ESPN I am going to believe it...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2681443

Phil C
11-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Funk-d-fied
If it's on ESPN I am going to believe it...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2681443

Well I don't know. I think I will wait till it's on yahoo sports news. They are good about waiting till things are official.