PDA

View Full Version : Aggies vs. Cal in Holiday Bowl Confirmed...

g$$
11-29-2006, 05:25 PM
Texas A&M vs. California
Holiday Bowl
San Diego

**just confirmed after much speculation, Aggies accepted bid to play in game this afternoon.

Horns to play in Gator Bowl too (edit: more than likely).

Bulldog_12
11-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Texas A&M vs. California
Holiday Bowl
San Diego

**just confirmed after much speculation, Aggies accepted bid to play in game.

Horns to play in Gator Bowl too.

Ok, I just got it confirmed at work that it is holiday. There was a big meeting up at the office with the big wigs and the holiday bowl people. Im excited! How can you confirm texas to gator?

Txbroadcaster
11-29-2006, 05:31 PM
Horns play in Gator if WV loses..If WV wins Horns to Alamo..at least that was what someone in UT dept told me

Adidas410s
11-29-2006, 05:33 PM
is the Gator dumb enough to take WV over Texas??? I guess Toyota has them propped up really well financially if they do. I just want to see Tech in the Alamo! However, it would be the 3rd time that Tech and Iowa have in the Alamo as they also played in 1996 and 2001...so I guess it is time for them to play each other again. :)

Txbroadcaster
11-29-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
is the Gator dumb enough to take WV over Texas??? I guess Toyota has them propped up really well financially if they do. I just want to see Tech in the Alamo! However, it would be the 3rd time that Tech and Iowa have in the Alamo as they also played in 1996 and 2001...so I guess it is time for them to play each other again. :)

It is not about being dumb...WV would travel VERY well to the Gator Bowl..Shorter distance

Bulldog_12
11-29-2006, 05:35 PM

At this point, the general consensus is that WV would bring more fans to jacksonville than texas would. Most people feel that the texas fans will be a little disappointed with Gator Bowl and not show up like normal. Dont forget, they also have the option of picking up Notre Dame if they dont get into a BCS, which I dont think they should.

Funk-d-fied
11-29-2006, 05:37 PM
http://www.holidaybowl.com/

Adidas410s
11-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
It is not about being dumb...WV would travel VERY well to the Gator Bowl..Shorter distance

700 miles vs 1000 miles....either way they are probably flying to the game. The stadium is an 80,000 seat stadium and I would have more confidence in Texas sending 40,000 fans than I would in West Virginia...especially if Colt is able to play for Texas. Then again, Notre Dame would be the logical pick IMO if they are available.

g$$
11-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
At this point, the general consensus is that WV would bring more fans to jacksonville than texas would. Most people feel that the texas fans will be a little disappointed with Gator Bowl and not show up like normal. Dont forget, they also have the option of picking up Notre Dame if they dont get into a BCS, which I dont think they should.

On Notre Dame:

Per the final BCS Rankings, ND is eligible to be picked for a BCS Bowl if in the top 12 & automatically in if in the top 8.

Aesculus gilmus
11-29-2006, 06:15 PM
Has Texas EVER had to play in the Alamo Bowl? I don't recall them ever sinking this low.

If they actually lose to Iowa, I wouldn't blame every verbal commitment, including Curtis Brown, from reneging on their word.

tiger_94
11-29-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
Has Texas EVER had to play in the Alamo Bowl? I don't recall them ever sinking this low.

If they actually lose to Iowa, I wouldn't blame every verbal commitment, including Curtis Brown, from reneging on their word.

I always get stuck sitting by people like you at football games, drives me crazy

g$$
11-29-2006, 06:17 PM

Is Curtis Brown an "urban contemporary" kid from Gilmer or a "rural contemporary" kid from Gilmer?

Just wondering?....;)

wedo
11-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Dang i wanted Texas to beat Cal. A&M did beat Texas, but Texas has a better chance at beating Cal than A&M does. Texas and WV will be a good match up though!

Aesculus gilmus
11-29-2006, 06:19 PM
Don't worry. I won't be in San Antonio, if that's your concern.

I just looked it up. Texas has never had to play in the Alamo Bowl.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/pages/winningtrads/bowlgames.html

I've got another question. When is the last time a defending national champion fell this far this fast from one season to the next?

Aesculus gilmus
11-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Is Curtis Brown an "urban contemporary" kid from Gilmer or a "rural contemporary" one from Gilmer?

Just wondering?....;)

Curtis lives on a ranch. No joke.

mwynn05
11-29-2006, 06:21 PM
700 miles vs 1000 miles....either way they are probably flying to the game. The stadium is an 80,000 seat stadium and I would have more confidence in Texas sending 40,000 fans than I would in West Virginia...especially if Colt is able to play for Texas. Then again, Notre Dame would be the logical pick IMO if they are available. thats where your wrong see in WV the eers are all they have so they're a lot more die hard than Texas fans

wedo
11-29-2006, 06:24 PM

I've got another question. When is the last time a defending national champion fell this far this fast from one season to the next?

I dont think tOSU played in a BCS bowl in 2003 a year after they won the NC! At least i don't think they did

big daddy russ
11-29-2006, 06:34 PM

Is this what you call "falling?"

And I don't remember the records, but check out Georgia Tech and Washington back in the early-90's. I want to say that both of them won it, then fell off the map.

g$$
11-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Curtis lives on a ranch. No joke.

Then going by your previous logic, he should go to A&M then right? After all, we don't get ANY "city" boys!

OK, I will let it go now! :)

Aesculus gilmus
11-29-2006, 06:46 PM
You're right. I was shocked Curtis committed to UT. And I'm a UT alum.

Until he did that, it seemed like Stoops and OU had some sort of 'right of first refusal' here.

I'd rather ANY Gilmer recruit go to A&M than to OU. Let's at least keep it in state, kids.

Lion92
11-29-2006, 11:00 PM
A&M will probably get crushed. I dont want to see it but Frans team is less than impressive. There only really good win was Texas and Texas looked like crap and handed that game to them.

Bulldog_12
11-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Lion92
A&M will probably get crushed. I dont want to see it but Frans team is less than impressive. There only really good win was Texas and Texas looked like crap and handed that game to them.

HAHAHA! Oh wow! Seriously? Thanks, I needed a good laugh on a stressful, cold night like tonight.

Just Watching
11-29-2006, 11:48 PM

Good Lord, that is funny. And UT's only really good win was OU, and OU looked like crap and handed it to them in that one.

wedo
11-30-2006, 08:50 AM

I think this game will be close, i don't think it will be a blow out. Cal by a TD in this one, Lynch will be a heisman contender next year and i think he will have a big game against the Aggies!

Macarthur
11-30-2006, 10:11 AM

Are you kidding me? 244 yards rushing is unimpressive and having a game "handed" to you? THey also ran the ball very effectively against the two teams in the Big 12 Championship game and each of those games could have gone either way.

GreenMonster
11-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Are you kidding me? 244 yards rushing is unimpressive and having a game "handed" to you? THey also ran the ball very effectively against the two teams in the Big 12 Championship game and each of those games could have gone either way. Should have beat Tech too. How do you give up a bomb that late in the game to a team like Tech that already throws it all over the yard??? Should have seen that play coming IMHO.

Lion92
11-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Should have beat Tech too. How do you give up a bomb that late in the game to a team like Tech that already throws it all over the yard??? Should have seen that play coming IMHO.

Say what you want, they are a middle of the road team at best, I hope you keep Fran for a long time. And by the way Tech was brutal this year so I would not get all excited about "should have beat them". A&M is nothing special, not saying that Cal is but look at the track record:

2005: No Bowl Game
2004: Loss to Tennessee 38-7
2003: No Bowl
2002: No Bowl
2001: Win over TCU 28-9 (WOW)
2000: Loss to Miss. State 43-41
1999: Loss to Penn State 24-0
1998: Loss to Ohio State 24-14
1997: Loss to UCLA 29-23
1996 No Bowl

10 Years of excellence!!!!

Bulldog_12
11-30-2006, 01:16 PM
Say what you want, they are a middle of the road team at best, I hope you keep Fran for a long time. And by the way Tech was brutal this year so I would not get all excited about "should have beat them". A&M is nothing special, not saying that Cal is but look at the track record:

1996 No Bowl

Wow, your bitterness obviously clouds any little bit of rational thought you might have. What does our bowl record from 96 on prove for the team that is playing right now?

Lion = http://www.yikers.com/pictures/560/yikers_bitter_beer_face1.jpg

Macarthur
11-30-2006, 01:29 PM

1996 No Bowl

First of all, I am not an Aggie so I have nothing to do with A&M keeping him or not.

Middle of the road, at best!? What does middle of the road mean to you?

Lion92
11-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Your record is not everything, they have been so lucky all year, McGee can not pass and if it wasn't for some decent defense they would be awful. I am not bitter in fact I could care less about A&M I am just tired of hearing aggies talk about this team like they are truely great. One of my employees sons is a wide reciever for A&M and he agrees this team is living on the edge and they historically (at least in recent history) do not fare well in bowl games. I am not a Texas fan either if that is what you think, they were exposed the week before the A&M game by an opportunistic K-State team. This year you beat the 4 sisters of the poor and then beat 4 of the worst teams in the Big-12 before beating Texas who I already said was exposed the week before. So you got 8 wins against weak oposition and 1 against a good team. You can talk all you want about how close the Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Tech games were, fact is they were losses. All your wins were close too, outside of those first four games against one of the weakest non-conference schedules in the Big-12.

big daddy russ
11-30-2006, 02:31 PM
I think this is a middle-of-the-road year across the board. As good as Ohio State is, I wouldn't even say that they're absolutely head and shoulders above the rest of the pack. They'd get a run from just about anyone ranked 1-10.

I really think the Big XII will do well in the bowls. Cal and A&M will be a good one. The key for A&M (as it has been all year long) will be to keep that Cal offense off the field. That's one of the most explosive attacks in the nation.

Cal's weaknesses also play right into A&M's strengths. Their defense is geared to stop the pass in the Pac-10. And Daymeion Hughes has done a great job of leading that secondary and shutting down the passing game when they need it. The problem is they have a the 49th-ranked run defense even after coming out of the "running is for the Big Ten and Kenyans" Pac-10. Their LB's have been less-than-spectacular all year so they'll have to rely on their DL (and it's a solid DL) to get penetration in the run game.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still favor Cal in all of this, I'm just saying that this matchup might favor A&M's style of football.

Bulldog_12
11-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I think this is a middle-of-the-road year across the board. As good as Ohio State is, I wouldn't even say that they're absolutely head and shoulders above the rest of the pack. They'd get a run from just about anyone ranked 1-10.

I really think the Big XII will do well in the bowls. Cal and A&M will be a good one. The key for A&M (as it has been all year long) will be to keep that Cal offense off the field. That's one of the most explosive attacks in the nation.

Cal's weaknesses also play right into A&M's strengths. Their defense is geared to stop the pass in the Pac-10. And Daymeion Hughes has done a great job of leading that secondary and shutting down the passing game when they need it. The problem is they have a the 49th-ranked run defense even after coming out of the "running is for the Big Ten and Kenyans" Pac-10. Their LB's have been less-than-spectacular all year so they'll have to rely on their DL (and it's a solid DL) to get penetration in the run game.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still favor Cal in all of this, I'm just saying that this matchup might favor A&M's style of football.

I agree, to say we will get crushed is crazy. I think the only way crushed happens is if we just dont show up. Our strength is ball control offense, theirs is all about the big play. Its almost like when Reggie was at QB here and it was feast or famine on a drive. Here are the stats along with some of our opponents rankings so far just to show you about where Cal is ranked:

Based on NCAA stats. Cal is ranked:
Offense:
Rushing: #38......Texas #30, Kansas #25
Passing:#16.......Tceh #3, Missouri #11, Neb. #18
Total:#12......Neb. #9, Missouri #13

Defense:
Rushing: #49.......Neb. #48
Passing: #113......Texas #100, Kansas #119
total: #92........OkieLite #91, Kansas #93

wedo
11-30-2006, 04:48 PM
A&M is a team that plays really tuff but they will be overmatch in this one IMO! A&M will have to be able to score with Cal in order to win, because A&M isn't going to keep Cal under 30 points.

Bulldog_12
11-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by wedo
A&M is a team that plays really tuff but they will be overmatch in this one IMO! A&M will have to be able to score with Cal in order to win, because A&M isn't going to keep Cal under 30 points.

Do you really think that? 30 points? I dont think Cals defense can get them off the field quick enough to score 30. The heralded offense of texas got held in check to 7 points and T.O.P. was in our favor by nearly TEN minutes. I think the D can stand up to the challenge.

wedo
11-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Do you really think that? 30 points? I dont think Cals defense can get them off the field quick enough to score 30. The heralded offense of texas got held in check to 7 points and T.O.P. was in our favor by nearly TEN minutes. I think the D can stand up to the challenge.

I think that your getting a bit overconfident! Lynch will have over 120 yds rushing, A&M won't stop Cal they will have to just slow them down enough to be able to win. I do think A&M can win but I think that Cal is the better team and should win! A&M flat out beat Texas but IMO Texas has a better chance at beating Cal than does A&M. Just My opinion!

big daddy russ
11-30-2006, 06:37 PM
I don't think Cal will score 30 unless A&M gets at least 28. A&M runs a ball-control offense and keeps Cal's TOP under 20 minutes.

wedo
11-30-2006, 06:50 PM
I don't think Cal will score 30 unless A&M gets at least 28. A&M runs a ball-control offense and keeps Cal's TOP under 20 minutes.

Cal will at least score 30, it may not all be with offense, they do have a very dangerous kick/punt returner!

Gsquared
11-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Texas A&M vs. California
Holiday Bowl
San Diego

**just confirmed after much speculation, Aggies accepted bid to play in game this afternoon.

Horns to play in Gator Bowl too (edit: more than likely).
Will the air lines let ya on with a cobb pipe? If not, Cal has 3-1 att. advantage :eek:

Chris Hart
11-30-2006, 07:31 PM
A&M will beat Cal...

Gsquared
11-30-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
A&M will beat Cal...
I hope so but the Aggies havnt won a ton of thier bowl games as of late. Even though im a Texas fan, id sure like to see the Ags take it to the left coasters! Bring it home Aggies!!!

Bulldog_12
11-30-2006, 08:27 PM

THANK YOU Russ. Im glad to see you know something about ball control offense. ;)

Its not about overconfidence, its about knowing numbers. Look at Cals defense and honestly tell me you think they can stop the Ags rushing attack to be able to score 30.

Chris Hart
11-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
I hope so but the Aggies havnt won a ton of thier bowl games as of late. Even though im a Texas fan, id sure like to see the Ags take it to the left coasters! Bring it home Aggies!!! A few years back an underdog Texas Tech team really took it to Cal with their wide open passing attack. A&M will do the same, except they will do it with that 'Thunder and Lightning' running game and effective playaction passes. Bottom line, Cal will score around 17-20 points, but they won't be able to stop the rushing attack from College Station. Pac 10 teams are mostly void of defense, and the Ags will expose it...

wedo
12-01-2006, 12:32 AM
Im not saying that the aggies can't win, IMO A&M not going to be able to stop Cal. IF the Aggies win it will be b/c of the ball control, and scoring TD every chance they get, i don't think Cal can stop the A&M running attack either, but Cal will put points on the board and A&M will have to keep up! A&M can't afford to win the TOP and then not come away with 7points, b/c Cal will score they are too explosive!

Bulldog_12
12-01-2006, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by wedo
Im not saying that the aggies can't win, IMO A&M not going to be able to stop Cal. IF the Aggies win it will be b/c of the ball control, and scoring TD every chance they get, i don't think Cal can stop the A&M running attack either, but Cal will put points on the board and A&M will have to keep up! A&M can't afford to win the TOP and then not come away with 7points, b/c Cal will score they are too explosive!

I just dont think you are giving the Ag D enough credit. This isnt last years defense. Heres some national rankings for the D:
Rushing Defense 46 123.00
Pass Efficiency Defense 31 114.90
Total Defense 39 309.83
Scoring Defense 32 18.50
Pass Defense 39 186.83

Granted we arent gonna light the world on fire with our D, but we were 2nd in the conference and only allow 309 yds/game. I agree Cal is high powered, but a very mediocre Tenn team held them to 18 pts. The Vols currently have the #51 ranked defense.

Arizona held them to 20 pts and they currently rank #55.

USC held them to 9 pts with the #28 defense.

Point I am trying to make is whenever Cal has come up against a team with a decent defense they have lost (only exception is Oregon St. at 30). Consistency and execution in the red zone will be the key for an Aggie victory.

( I would also like to note that the Vols hammered Cal playing the same type of physical smashmouth that we play and their rushing offense barely cracks the top 100. #94)