PDA

View Full Version : Best QBs in the Big XII?

big daddy russ
11-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Let's rehash this list one more time. Who you got, 1-12?

Adidas410s
11-29-2006, 04:32 PM
1a. Vince Young...oh wait nm...;)
1b. I don't really think any of the current crop are #1 QB's just yet.
2. Colt McCoy - his performance this year when healthy (with whom he was following) has to put him above the rest.
3a. Chase Daniel - Though they faded late he showed that he can take Mizzou to a level above what Brad Smith did and still be a legit dual-threat QB.
3b. Graham Harrell - Young QB who showed flashes of brilliance. Experience will improve his consistency. Tech will have a lot of new guys catching the ball in 07 so he has to step up and take a leadership role.
3c. Stephen McGee - The stats weren't always impressive but nobody has ever questioned his toughness or ability to lead his team.
6. Zac Taylor - Kinda reminds me of Craig Krenzel @ OSU. His numbers won't impress you...he doesn't seem like he does that much on the field...but when you look up his team is playing for the championship (albeit the Big 12 instead of the BCS ;))
7. Bret Meyer - Incredible athlete playing QB on a weak team.
8. Paul Thompson - Did a good job moving back to the QB position when his team needed him to. Started off slow but has stepped it up once AP and then mini-AP went down with injuries.
9. Bobby Reid - Watch for this GPNS product to move into the Top 5 in Big 12 QB's next year as his confidence continues to build and the Cowboys become a threat in the Big 12 South in 07.
10. Josh Freeman - Helped get KSU bowl eligible when everybody assumed this program would go back into the cellar now that Snyder is gone.
11. Shawn Bell - A slow start kept Baylor from being bowl eligible. Showed progress in the Bears transition to the spread offense but needs more talent around him to have success. He's a 3A guy...so we gotta show him some love though! :)
12 and 13. Colorado & Kansas QB's - I watched Kansas vs A&M and only saw highlights of Colorado vs Montana St and Georgia. Can't really offer an opinion on players I didn't see...especially when I don't even know their names.

sahen
11-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Bell apparantly was Baylor's team, just look at how bad we played after he went down

carter08
11-29-2006, 04:45 PM
McCoy
McGee
Daniels

Then the rest

g$$
11-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Adrian Peterson = nickname A.D. (as in "all day" given to him by his dad when he was a kid)

Allen Patrick = nickname A.P.

Just to clarify...

big daddy russ
11-29-2006, 06:31 PM
I think I'd put Colt up as number one when he's healthy. My list goes like this (based on who I think is the best QB right now when healthy, not how they're playing or whether or not they're injured)....

1. Colt McCoy
2. Bobby Reid
3. Zac Taylor
4. Paul Thompson
5a. Chase Daniels
5b. Graham Harrell
5c. Shawn Bell
5d. Stephen McGee
9. Josh Freeman
10. Bret Meyer
11. Doesn't matter

Freeman and Reid could very well be the best of the bunch by the end of next year. Take the diapers off, these boys are getting ready to join the men...

Thompson's not getting a whole lot of love right now, but I almost want to put him at number three. He's finally gotten back into that QB mindset and is running that offense very efficiently. Almost seems like the death of Adrian Peterson was the best thing for the offense...

Bell's perhaps the most underrated QB in the Big XII. When he's in, Baylor competes. When he's not, they're Baylor.

Daniels and Harrell still have something to prove to me. They seem like they're knocking on the door of being one of those great college QB's, but something's not there. With Harrell, I question his leadership. With Daniels, consistency and appetite...

g$$
11-29-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I think I'd put Colt up as number one when he's healthy. My list goes like this (based on who I think is the best QB right now when healthy, not how they're playing or whether or not they're injured)....

1. Colt McCoy
2. Bobby Reid
3. Zac Taylor
4. Paul Thompson
5a. Chase Daniels
5b. Graham Harrell
5c. Shawn Bell
5d. Stephen McGee
9. Josh Freeman
10. Bret Meyer
11. Doesn't matter

Freeman and Reid could very well be the best of the bunch by the end of next year. Take the diapers off, these boys are getting ready to join the men...

Thompson's not getting a whole lot of love right now, but I almost want to put him at number three. He's finally gotten back into that QB mindset and is running that offense very efficiently. Almost seems like the death of Adrian Peterson was the best thing for the offense...

Bell's perhaps the most underrated QB in the Big XII. When he's in, Baylor competes. When he's not, they're Baylor.

Daniels and Harrell still have something to prove to me. They seem like they're knocking on the door of being one of those great college QB's, but something's not there. With Harrell, I question his leadership. With Daniels, consistency and appetite...

Russ, I respect your opinions, but no way McGee is 5D. Kid is a winner even though it may not always be pretty in that offense.

Harrell? He got benched at one point this year. I question his leadership & toughness. Yes, he puts up #s in that offense but who doesn't?

Reid is going to be good, but not #2 yet. Potential should not be a factor here - leadership & winning games should count much more. Thompson has done a good job running the team, but their running game & defense has carried them lately, not him.

It is all subjective, but I disagree.

espn1
11-29-2006, 07:22 PM
McGee is hands down the best QB in the Big 12. He'll soon be cashing the paychecks to prove it. Mack knows he should have courted McGee a little harder.

Eagles52
11-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by espn1
McGee is hands down the best QB in the Big 12. He'll soon be cashing the paychecks to prove it. Mack knows he should have courted McGee a little harder.

Hands down, eh? I don't think you can say hands down on any of the players. But if I was going to pick one, it would easily be Colt because he's had one of the most prolific seasons in NCAA freshman history and one of the best in The University of Texas History. He was always so calm in the pocket, even with his inexperience.

big daddy russ
11-29-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Russ, I respect your opinions, but no way McGee is 5D. Kid is a winner even though it may not always be pretty in that offense.

Harrell? He got benched at one point this year. I question his leadership & toughness. Yes, he puts up #s in that offense but who doesn't?

Reid is going to be good, but not #2 yet. Potential should not be a factor here - leadership & winning games should count much more. Thompson has done a good job running the team, but their running game & defense has carried them lately, not him.

It is all subjective, but I disagree.
Fair enough. You're probably one of the most knowledgeable fans on the board, so I respect your opinion every bit as much.

I just think Reid's actually the closest to true greatness out of all these QB's... and that includes Colt. He just hasn't had that breakthrough like Colt has. Will he be OSU's next Barry Sanders? Who knows, but I think Reid can beat anyone he wants to right now. And that's with a team that lacks the talent of most Big XII teams. IF they could've gotten into a bowl, I think they may have been the most feared team in the conference, and you can trace that directly back to their leader. I've been on the Reid bandwagon for about a month and a half now... ever since they played A&M. They're right on the cusp of greatness, and if there's any one QB in the conference that I believe has almost broken through that "greatness" threshold, I'd say it's Reid. I wouldn't even put Taylor and Daniels in the same league as him right now.

Harrell's and McGee's appeals are entirely different. Right now, Harrell's throwing the ball better while McGee has the intangibles. While I'd love to have McGee leading any team I'm rooting for, it basically comes down to the Tee Martin vs. Peyton Manning argument. Call me crazy, but I don't think anyone would turn down a guy who could fling the ball like that. Until McGee breaks the consistency barrier within each game, I can't put him ahead of Harrell. I just don't see him making the reads and being the decisive QB he can be for the first three quarters of a game.

Going back to Thompson, you said that McGee's appeal is the ability to manage a game. I also think that's Thompson's appeal to a T. Thompson is just more consistent within a game than McGee, especially in the passing game. Don't get me wrong, I'm not crowning him the next Colt Brennan or Matt Leinart, but he has been effective, especially on third down early on in the game.

g$$
11-29-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Fair enough. You're probably one of the most knowledgeable fans on the board, so I respect your opinion every bit as much.

I just think Reid's actually the closest to true greatness out of all these QB's... and that includes Colt. He just hasn't had that breakthrough like Colt has. Will he be OSU's next Barry Sanders? Who knows, but I think Reid can beat anyone he wants to right now. And that's with a team that lacks the talent of most Big XII teams. IF they could've gotten into a bowl, I think they may have been the most feared team in the conference, and you can trace that directly back to their leader. I've been on the Reid bandwagon for about a month and a half now... ever since they played A&M. They're right on the cusp of greatness, and if there's any one QB in the conference that I believe has almost broken through that "greatness" threshold, I'd say it's Reid. I wouldn't even put Taylor and Daniels in the same league as him right now.

Harrell's and McGee's appeals are entirely different. Right now, Harrell's throwing the ball better while McGee has the intangibles. While I'd love to have McGee leading any team I'm rooting for, it basically comes down to the Tee Martin vs. Peyton Manning argument. Call me crazy, but I don't think anyone would turn down a guy who could fling the ball like that. Until McGee breaks the consistency barrier within each game, I can't put him ahead of Harrell. I just don't see him making the reads and being the decisive QB he can be for the first three quarters of a game.

Going back to Thompson, you said that McGee's appeal is the ability to manage a game. I also think that's Thompson's appeal to a T. Thompson is just more consistent within a game than McGee, especially in the passing game. Don't get me wrong, I'm not crowning him the next Colt Brennan or Matt Leinart, but he has been effective, especially on third down early on in the game.

Very fair & good discussion. I have liked Bobby Reid since I watched him at North Shore HS here in Houston. Tremendous athlete on the brink of greatness.

McGee must improve throwing the ball no doubt. I think he will & I also think he is hurt. Just my opinion. But A&M is the ONLY team in the country to average over 200 yds. rushing & passing on the year. He has 2 years left. I like McGee over the long haul. Thompson has done his job for OU, & that is the name of the game. Good stuff.

bulldogman06
11-29-2006, 08:22 PM
Whats weird is, McGee wasnt really a runner in high school, he had a cannon of an arm, and even in the combines, he had the best and most accurate arm out of anyone. I think he just adapted to the system

g$$
11-29-2006, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by bulldogman06
Whats weird is, McGee wasnt really a runner in high school, he had a cannon of an arm, and even in the combines, he had the best and most accurate arm out of anyone. I think he just adapted to the system

No, he has been forced to adapt to Fran's system. McGee was nationally recruited as a drop-back passer. His guts & will to win are carrying him right now. I think & hope he will develop his passing game over the next 2 years. The skill set is there.

Sportsman
11-29-2006, 08:27 PM
Colt McCoy all the way.

coach
11-29-2006, 08:33 PM
mcgee adjusted well but dosent have that great of an arm and mccoy has the best numbers...27 td's but mccoy has to toughen up he is a baby....

JR2004
11-29-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by espn1
Mack knows he should have courted McGee a little harder.

I don't think he should have.

Adidas410s
11-29-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by coach
mcgee adjusted well but dosent have that great of an arm and mccoy has the best numbers...27 td's but mccoy has to toughen up he is a baby....

he's a baby because he got hurt on a helmet to helmet hit??? :thinking:

Rabbit'93
11-29-2006, 08:40 PM
how would daniels rate with any of you behinf UT's OL?

g$$
11-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
I don't think he should have.

Texas did offer McGee, he has said as much. So did many other national programs like Georgia, Tennessee, etc. McGee chose A&M because he thought he could play sooner & liked the school.

g$$
11-29-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
he's a baby because he got hurt on a helmet to helmet hit??? :thinking:

Please tell me you are not saying that hit on McCoy was illegal? Come on buddy, it's football & that was legal in college football.

Not spearing, not helmet to helmet, just a good, clean hit the way all of us were taught to tackle. Lead with the face mask, see what you hit, explode with the hips, & wrap up. Was he supposed to change directions in mid-air?

Pro football? Probably a flag since QBs should wear skirts now in the league. Even Terry Bradshaw makes fun of today's pro rules.

Lion92
11-29-2006, 10:39 PM
1. McCoy
2. Zac Taylor
3. Bobby Reid
4. Daniel

Eagles52
11-29-2006, 10:50 PM
Of all of the questions that have been raised on Coach Fran, I think one that is often overlooked is that of player development, especially at the QB position. Most great coaches don't bend their players just to fit the coach's system but it seems Fran does this. Out of high school, McNeal was considered a better passer and faster (in a straight forward sprint) than VY, while Vince was more elusive, bigger, etc., but McNeal never seemed to develop much if at all while in the program, while Vince became a great college QB and passer. Now, he's got McGee playing in an opion offense that, while he is tough and athletic enough to run efficiently, I think most other coaches would be working on using him as a pass first guy who would use his speed to keep a team honest. Anyone else agree or have opinions on this?

mrescape43
11-29-2006, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Eagles52
Of all of the questions that have been raised on Coach Fran, I think one that is often overlooked is that of player development, especially at the QB position. Most great coaches don't bend their players just to fit the coach's system but it seems Fran does this. Out of high school, McNeal was considered a better passer and faster (in a straight forward sprint) than VY, while Vince was more elusive, bigger, etc., but McNeal never seemed to develop much if at all while in the program, while Vince became a great college QB and passer. Now, he's got McGee playing in an opion offense that, while he is tough and athletic enough to run efficiently, I think most other coaches would be working on using him as a pass first guy who would use his speed to keep a team honest. Anyone else agree or have opinions on this?

McNeal had no chance as he was a member of the weakest A&M teams (Injury Riddled) in years.

KL3
11-29-2006, 11:42 PM
while Vince became a great college QB and passer.

Vince was a great college QB and a great leader, but he never has been a great passer. I do agree with most of your post though, Fran has taken really good passing QB's and made them adjust to his option, run based system.

Bulldog_12
11-30-2006, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by g$$

McGee must improve throwing the ball no doubt. I think he will & I also think he is hurt. Just my opinion.

The rumor here is that there is a shoulder surgery scheduled for the offseason. But I am not one to toss injury excuses around......

keenoace
11-30-2006, 12:24 AM
It should be Ryan Perrilloux that verbally committed to Texas and went to LSU. To big of shoes to fill.

Bulldog_12
11-30-2006, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by keenoace
It should be Ryan Perrilloux that verbally committed to Texas and went to LSU. To big of shoes to fill.

:confused: im lost

Txbroadcaster
11-30-2006, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by KL3
Vince was a great college QB and a great leader, but he never has been a great passer.

So leading the nation in passer efficency is not the mark of a great passer?

KL3
11-30-2006, 01:08 AM
No, that stat alone does not make him a great passer. Do you honestly believe he is/was "great" at passing? If you do, I think you may be the first person I've ever heard say that.

Old Tiger
11-30-2006, 01:19 AM
Colt McCoy
Stephen McGee
Zac Taylor

You can put those three in any order.

g$$
11-30-2006, 04:19 AM

Agreed, McGee is a classic drop-back passer (skill set) that so far has not been developed at A&M. I love his toughness & leadership though. He still has 2 years left, so we'll see how he comes along.

McNeal? Glad he is gone personally = team cancer.

sotxrat
11-30-2006, 04:24 AM
agree, and franconi needs to leave as well

JasperDog94
11-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by KL3
No, that stat alone does not make him a great passer. Do you honestly believe he is/was "great" at passing? If you do, I think you may be the first person I've ever heard say that. Then make it two. By the time Vince left, he was a very accuate passer and a great well rounded QB.

Old Tiger
11-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by KL3
No, that stat alone does not make him a great passer. Do you honestly believe he is/was "great" at passing? If you do, I think you may be the first person I've ever heard say that.

- Vince nearly doubled his yards from 2004 to 2005
2004 - 1849
2005 - 3036
- Completion percentage 2004 to 2005
2004 - 59.2
2005 - 65.2
(A 6% increase)
- Touchdowns 2004 to 2005
2004 - 12
2005 - 26
- Quarterback Rating 2004 to 2005
2004 - 128.4
2005 - 163.9

yoemenkracker30
11-30-2006, 11:54 AM
1. Colt McCoy
2. Zach Taylor
3. Bobby Reid
4. Stephen McGee
5. Chase Daniels
6. Paul Thompson
7. Shawn Bell
8. Graham Harrell
9. Josh Freeman
10. Brett Meyer
11. Nick Reid
12. anybody at colorado

KL3
11-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Then make it two. By the time Vince left, he was a very accuate passer and a great well rounded QB.

You still didn't say he was a "great passer". He was accurate in college to the TE's and RB's, but his down the field passing to WR's will never be near the top. Did you know Vince was last in the NFL in completion % for passes over 20 yards?

If you honestly think he is a great passer, then I seriously doubt your knowledge of football.

KL3
11-30-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
- Vince nearly doubled his yards from 2004 to 2005
2004 - 1849
2005 - 3036
- Completion percentage 2004 to 2005
2004 - 59.2
2005 - 65.2
(A 6% increase)
- Touchdowns 2004 to 2005
2004 - 12
2005 - 26
- Quarterback Rating 2004 to 2005
2004 - 128.4
2005 - 163.9

Interestingly enough Tiger, you left off interceptions. Huge improvement there.

2004 - 11
2005 - 10

Eagles52
11-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by KL3

He completed just over 65% percent of his passes in 2005, threw for over 3000 yards and 26 TD's. Sounds pretty good. It remains to be seen, however, if he can learn to be nearly so efficient in the NFL.

Eagles52
11-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Receiving Stats: 2005 Longhorns

Billy Pittman 10 34 750 75.0 22.1 75 5
David Thomas 12 50 613 51.1 12.3 32 5
Limas Sweed 11 36 545 49.5 15.1 45 5
Quan Cosby 8 15 270 33.8 18.0 64 2
Ramonce Taylor 13 27 265 20.4 9.8 42 3
Brian Carter 8 18 263 32.9 14.6 40 0
Jamaal Charles 13 14 157 12.1 11.2 36 2
Nate Jones 5 9 67 13.4 7.4 14 1
Neale Tweedie 1 2 49 49.0 24.5 28 1
Ahmard Hall 3 3 42 14.0 14.0 25 1
George Walker 1 1 22 22.0 22.0 22 0
Selvin Young 11 5 21 1.9 4.2 14 0
Tyrell Gatewood 2 2 13 6.5 6.5 9 0
Chris Ogbonnaya 6 1 3 0.5 3.0 3 0

Peter Ullman 1 1 3 3.0 3.0 3 1
---------------------------------------------------------------
4 of his top 5 receivers were WR, the other was the tight end. Ramonce could be counted either as a RB or a WR because he played so much of both (a poor man's Reggie Bush), but the stats don't bear out that he completed his passes to mostly running backs and tight ends. The facts prove that he was an incredibly efficient passer. His stats in the NFL now have NOTHING to do with how good of a college passer he was. And even if I concede you your point that he is inept at passing downfield, which I'm not, since when is passing downfield the only way to be a great passer? And, even if his top 3 receivers in 2005 were his TE and RB's, you used that as if it were a knock, but when VY averaged 9.3 yards per completion, I don't think it would matter who he was throwing to. Matt Leinart average 8.85 yards per completion in 2005. Brady Quinn has averaged 7.59 for this current year and for 2005 he averaged 8.71. I realize that those are not all inclusive stats for downfield passing, but its certainly an indicator. He became great at every aspect of the game at the college level, running, passing, (playmaking in general) and the best at being a leader.

Eagles52
11-30-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by KL3
Interestingly enough Tiger, you left off interceptions. Huge improvement there.

2004 - 11
2005 - 10

Its a pretty big improvement when you consider the better way to assess efficiency in regards to INT's is to look at the TD/INT ratio, which vastly improved. And his attempts went up from 250 in 2004 to 325 in 2005.

KL3
11-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Eagles52, do you think Vince was a "great" passer in college?

Macarthur
11-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
The rumor here is that there is a shoulder surgery scheduled for the offseason. But I am not one to toss injury excuses around......

Would not surprise me. I think those that have followed the program this year know that something was not right with McGee. He was a brilliant passer in HS. He will fine throwing the ball assuming he gets healthy this offseason.

UTatx
11-30-2006, 01:46 PM
Snead is by far the best!!!

Seriously i think that Snead and Freeman are the best freshman for sure...Freeman was really impressive

Txbroadcaster
11-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by KL3
You still didn't say he was a "great passer". He was accurate in college to the TE's and RB's, but his down the field passing to WR's will never be near the top. Did you know Vince was last in the NFL in completion % for passes over 20 yards?

If you honestly think he is a great passer, then I seriously doubt your knowledge of football.

I guess Joe Montanna was not a great QB because he threw a BUNCH of passes to his TE, and RB..plus he threw a ton of 5-10 yard passes that Rice turned into 40 yard TD passes...OH WAIT...That was the system.

You think maybe he is last in passes over 20 yards because
A They are working him in slowly
B The Titans dont have a TRUE downfield threat developed yet, they are a WR corp of possesion Recievers

Of course you cannot say he is a great passer now..But I think it can be argued he WAS a great passer in college his senior year

His yards per attempt last year...9.4 WITH the best pass efficency in the nation.

HTripleC13
11-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Clearly the best QB in the Big XII will never really be agreed upon. What you have to look at is where most of these QB's are at in their career. Texas, A&M, and Tech all started players who had never started a whole season. Some had good numbers, like McCoy, granted he was dropped into a national championship team and anybody could put up numbers in that sort of system. Don't get me wrong he is a very good player, and shows the potential to have a legacy at Texas. A&M has McGee who seems to be the heart and soul of the team. As a fan you cant ask for anything more than someone who wants the ball in their hands when the game is on the line. In big games this is where McGee gets the edge on others (now the defense needs to watch for the big play). Harrel for Tech WILL produce. Tech is known for the pass, so just like Texas, any QB in the Mike Leach system will put up numbers. It is just going to take some time for him to adapt and get in the swing of things. Some have talent that surround them (McCoy), some have heart (McGee), and some have an offensive system (Harrel) to excel. I think it is going to take another full season to see how they take control and run their teams.

Eagles52
11-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by KL3
Eagles52, do you think Vince was a "great" passer in college?

In 2005, yes, he was a great passer at the collegiate level. His passing numbers were as good or better than anyone in the country that year. So as far as the numbers, he was great. I realize that numbers don't tell the whole story, and just watching him every game, he was very impressive as a passer (especially with his accuracy and touch). He's able to get rid of the ball quickly and with some zip, despite his unorthodox mechanics. One play can't tell a player's season, but the pass to Sweed against Ohio State was a perfectly thrown ball where only his man had a play. Vince was consistent in being able to make plays like that throughout the year.

Leopards,class of 75
11-30-2006, 04:23 PM
McCoy #1, then a tie between Daniels and Mcgee

g$$
11-30-2006, 05:17 PM
VY has all the intangibles, no argument here. How well he develops his mid-range passing game & accuracy will determine if he is going to be a good pro qb OR a great pro qb.

Right now, he throws a good deep ball with touch, & he is very good at the underneath stuff to RBs & TEs. My question is the deep crosses, digs, comebacks, outs, etc. in tight spots & small windows. To me, that will tell the tale. Plus, the team around him must improve too. (Titans have 11 draft picks & $41 million under the cap this year)

I hope VY does well, he seems like a pretty decent guy & he is from the state.

Chris Hart
11-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by HTripleC13
Clearly the best QB in the Big XII will never really be agreed upon. What you have to look at is where most of these QB's are at in their career. Texas, A&M, and Tech all started players who had never started a whole season. Some had good numbers, like McCoy, granted he was dropped into a national championship team and anybody could put up numbers in that sort of system. Don't get me wrong he is a very good player, and shows the potential to have a legacy at Texas. A&M has McGee who seems to be the heart and soul of the team. As a fan you cant ask for anything more than someone who wants the ball in their hands when the game is on the line. In big games this is where McGee gets the edge on others (now the defense needs to watch for the big play). Harrel for Tech WILL produce. Tech is known for the pass, so just like Texas, any QB in the Mike Leach system will put up numbers. It is just going to take some time for him to adapt and get in the swing of things. Some have talent that surround them (McCoy), some have heart (McGee), and some have an offensive system (Harrel) to excel. I think it is going to take another full season to see how they take control and run their teams. Ditto, that's a great way of looking at it. They are all 3 great QBs, just in different situations. As far as the future, IMO, McGee and Reid are the only potential big time NFLr's in the big 12.

Eagles52
11-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by HTripleC13
Clearly the best QB in the Big XII will never really be agreed upon. What you have to look at is where most of these QB's are at in their career. Texas, A&M, and Tech all started players who had never started a whole season. Some had good numbers, like McCoy, granted he was dropped into a national championship team and anybody could put up numbers in that sort of system. Don't get me wrong he is a very good player, and shows the potential to have a legacy at Texas. A&M has McGee who seems to be the heart and soul of the team. As a fan you cant ask for anything more than someone who wants the ball in their hands when the game is on the line. In big games this is where McGee gets the edge on others (now the defense needs to watch for the big play). Harrel for Tech WILL produce. Tech is known for the pass, so just like Texas, any QB in the Mike Leach system will put up numbers. It is just going to take some time for him to adapt and get in the swing of things. Some have talent that surround them (McCoy), some have heart (McGee), and some have an offensive system (Harrel) to excel. I think it is going to take another full season to see how they take control and run their teams.

It's pretty ridiculous to say that "anybody could put up numbers in that sort of system". You then quickly try to give McCoy some credit ("he's a very good player") immediately after taking it all away from him, to seem a little less extreme I suppose? But, before his injury, he was just about a sure thing to handily beat the Freshman record for TD passes, and still had one of the best QB years in the history of The University of Texas. I don't think you can say that "anyone" would have put up those numbers. I also think that Colt did pretty darn good in big games (before he was hurt and obviously not physically where he'd been earlier in the season) against Oklahoma, in Nebraska, and coming from behind at Tech. Your way of looking at things takes a lot of credit away from the abilities of Colt and Harrell, despite your qualifying statements.