PDA

View Full Version : Fairfield 62 Kemp 46

mwynn05
11-29-2006, 03:41 PM
Taking off

Despite key injuries, Eagles handle Kemp
By Tony Marquis

FAIRFIELD — Although they miss them from their starting lineup, the No. 12 Fairfield Eagles didn’t need their “banger” or their leading scorer Tuesday night.

Playing in front of a home crowd for the first time this season, the Eagles beat Class 3A Kemp 62-46, without last year’s team points leader Alfraid Manning and physical post player Malcolm Woodruff. Both Manning and Woodruff suffered knee injuries prior to the season.

“Two kids are missing, but the other kids have stepped up,” Fairfield coach Joey Worley said.

Guards Eric Palmer and Phillip Ireland filled in the starting lineup and combined for 17 points, and the Eagles’ defense and a big first quarter (20-7) frustrated Kemp. The Yellowjackets didn’t score until the 3:15 mark, and couldn’t recover from there — never getting within single-digits for the rest of the game.

“I was not very excited about how we played the first quarter,” Yellowjackets coach Tracy Carter said. “I think we were a little intimidated with the size and athleticism.”

The Eagles got their normal production from size (6-foot-5 post Nolan Melontree) and athleticism (guards Jarrett Manning and Billy McMillian). The three seniors, along with Alfraid Manning, have played together since kindergarten. Tuesday, they combined for 41 points. Jarrett led them with 18.

The Eagles offense struggled slightly in the second half as players started to miss shots against Kemp’s zone defense.

“(The first quarter) gave us a little cushion, and then Kemp did a good job of taking care of the ball,” Worley said. “We didn’t get many turnovers, and we kind of got impatient offensively.”

With the exception of Manning, who scored eight points in the third quarter, Fairfield was off from the field — the only scores coming from offensive rebounds (four points) and the free-throw line where the Eagles shot 4-for-10.

Using the full-court press, Fairfield got nine steals in the second half, enough to get the Eagles to 3-0 this season. Of those nine steals, four came from Palmer and Ireland.

Palmer also added 11 points.

“Eric’s playing more this year. He’s stepped into a starting role,” Worley said. “He’s playing a lot more minutes and doing a good job.”

Palmer is good friends with Woodruff, who was expected to start but won’t be returning to the team due to a knee injury and personal reasons.

“(Woodruff) shocked everybody,” said Palmer of his friend’s decision. “He’s a big contributor; rebounds, pounding the ball, being physical. Besides Nolan, he was the other banger. Nolan’s really not a big banger like Malcolm. Malcolm’s the big boss.”

Alfraid Manning still has more rehab scheduled for his knee, according to Worley, but he will return.

“When he gets back, we’re going to be a lot better,” Jarrett said.

For now, the Eagles are doing OK without the two. Even with Tuesday’s lack of points.

“We’re just getting back in it,” Jarrett said. “We were nervous as soon as we got on the floor in warm-up. But we’re ready.”
http://www.corsicanadailysun.com/sports/local_story_333093618.html?keyword=topstory

coach
11-29-2006, 03:53 PM
wow sounds like the fairfiled team last year....cant make free throws and the zone kills us...but i cant wait until this weekend...the quest has started

mwynn05
11-29-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by coach
wow sounds like the fairfiled team last year....cant make free throws and the zone kills us...but i cant wait until this weekend...the quest has started it sucks the article doesnt say who we play tomorrow in corsicana or who all is in it....i know last Tuesday coach Worley didn't know...you heard anything? and i though fred messed up his collar bone not knee...i know malcolm messed his knee up

Johnny Utah
11-29-2006, 04:20 PM
Congrats to Coach Worley, great person and coach!!! His team will finish strong!