PDA

View Full Version : Jay Cutler, Denver QB: Thoughts?

g$$
11-29-2006, 01:55 PM
My personal opinion is I think Jay Cutler will be a huge success in Denver given time. He will have his ups & downs of course like all rookies thrown into the fire.

But, playing under Mike Shanahan & with his skill set, I see nothing but good times in Denver down the road. He has the size & smarts to be a prototype NFL QB.

I think he will be the best QB in last year's draft (Young, Leinart, Cutler, etc.) once the dust settles. The guy was SEC Offensive Player of Year playing for Vanderbilt. Obviously his teams were outmanned most of the time too. Kid has a gun, is smart, moves pretty well, & will only improve under Shanahan & his system.

What do y'all think?

Highschoolfan78
11-29-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by g$$
My personal opinion is I think Jay Cutler will be a huge success in Denver given time. He will have his ups & downs of course like all rookies thrown into the fire.

But, playing under Mike Shanahan & with his skill set, I see nothing but good times in Denver down the road. He has the size & smarts to be a protype NFL QB.

I think he will be the best QB in last year's draft (Young, Leinart, Cutler, etc.) once the dust settles. The guy was SEC Offensive Player of Year playing for Vanderbilt. Obviously his teams were outmanned most of the time too. Kid has a gun, is smart, moves pretty well, & will only improve under Shanahan & his system.

What do y'all think?

I think his results in the next few years will be better than jake mistake's whole career.

coach
11-29-2006, 02:03 PM
i like him

bulldogman06
11-29-2006, 02:11 PM
Dont get me wrong, I like the guy, but I think both VY and Leinart will be better than him. I just wish he didnt have to start so soon, you can see how well VY and Leinart have been so far, I mean other than Vinces one good game last week, it has been tought for both of them. Rookie QBs need more time.

Adidas410s
11-29-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by g$$
The guy was SEC Offensive Player of Year playing for Vanderbilt.

This will have little bearing on his success in the NFL. Other than Peyton Manning (who would've been a stud in any college conference) the SEC has the following NFL QB's playing right now:

Rex Grossman (Florida) - If the Bears don't make the Super Bowl he will receive 99.9% of the blame for it. His 3+ turnovers in almost every game the past 5-6 weeks will catch up with him and his team.
Eli Manning (Ole Miss) - Has lead the Giants to 4 striaght losses and is the primary on-field reason why they run the risk of turning a 6-1 start into missing the playoffs.
Jason Campbell (Auburn) - Hasn't played enough to know anything about him just yet.

Let's think of some other NFL QB's in recent years from the SEC:

Tim Couch - up there with Ryan Leaf for biggest QB bust of the 1990's
Heath Shuler - If not for Couch and Leaf he might be considered the biggest QB bust of the 90's. Never did much of anything with the Saints and Skins
Josh Booty - did he ever play for anybody???
Quincy Carter - everybody's hero in Dallas
Jesse Palmer - nobody knew he was the 3rd string QB for the NY Giants until he was on the Bachelor
Tee Martin - drafted by the Steelers the same year some guy named Tom Brady was drafted in the round behind him
Danny Wuerffel - proof that the Spurrier system doesn't work in the NFL. Maybe the ball coach should've paid attention before taking that job in Washington.
Eric Zeier - He actually played in the league but not for long
Jay Barker - did he even step foot on the field?
Jerry Colquitt - the Vols QB between Heath Shuler and Peyton Manning...who is this guy?

SWAMP-RAT
11-29-2006, 02:59 PM
My personal opinion is I think Jay Cutler will be a huge success in Denver

I Hope so I just picked him up in my fantasy leauge

Old Tiger
11-29-2006, 03:02 PM
I thought that he was overrated during the draft process they were all over his nuts and I was like this guy is going to flop in the NFL.

big daddy russ
11-29-2006, 03:40 PM
I like him. I still think that if he can get a decent OL around him, Leinart will wind up being every bit as good, but I like Cutler's arm. Maybe the best thing about this guy, though, is that he's in the perfect system for his skill set. I'm all for it.

g$$
11-30-2006, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
This will have little bearing on his success in the NFL. Other than Peyton Manning (who would've been a stud in any college conference) the SEC has the following NFL QB's playing right now:

Rex Grossman (Florida) - If the Bears don't make the Super Bowl he will receive 99.9% of the blame for it. His 3+ turnovers in almost every game the past 5-6 weeks will catch up with him and his team.
Eli Manning (Ole Miss) - Has lead the Giants to 4 striaght losses and is the primary on-field reason why they run the risk of turning a 6-1 start into missing the playoffs.
Jason Campbell (Auburn) - Hasn't played enough to know anything about him just yet.

Let's think of some other NFL QB's in recent years from the SEC:

Tim Couch - up there with Ryan Leaf for biggest QB bust of the 1990's
Heath Shuler - If not for Couch and Leaf he might be considered the biggest QB bust of the 90's. Never did much of anything with the Saints and Skins
Josh Booty - did he ever play for anybody???
Quincy Carter - everybody's hero in Dallas
Jesse Palmer - nobody knew he was the 3rd string QB for the NY Giants until he was on the Bachelor
Tee Martin - drafted by the Steelers the same year some guy named Tom Brady was drafted in the round behind him
Danny Wuerffel - proof that the Spurrier system doesn't work in the NFL. Maybe the ball coach should've paid attention before taking that job in Washington.
Eric Zeier - He actually played in the league but not for long
Jay Barker - did he even step foot on the field?
Jerry Colquitt - the Vols QB between Heath Shuler and Peyton Manning...who is this guy?

Good list, but the SEC does have plenty of athletes. That cannot be denied. The guy played at Vandy & still won the award for goodness sakes.

I like him & believe he will be a good one in time. Some of you may regret the comments, esp. since you have not seen him play other than highlights. Overrated = no way, watch & see.

Old Tiger
11-30-2006, 05:11 AM
Here is a stat for you stat people. I find it very interesting.

Year/Yards/Completion%/TD/INT
2003/2347/57.2/18/13
2004/1844/61/10/5
2005/3073/59.1/21/9

g$$
11-30-2006, 05:20 AM
And? Yes he threw some picks but also made a lot of plays.

Time will tell...but I like his upside under Shanahan.

necks_c/09
11-30-2006, 08:46 AM
i like the move for the future but i really liked plummer......

Cutler is the future of the denver broncos cuz the kid can make every throw.....

i guess its in the best interest of the team but we will soon find out if he can give them a 7-4 record

lets see if he can get em in the playoffs....

i doubt it though the way KC and SD are playin.

g$$
12-04-2006, 02:12 PM
He played like a rookie at times last night, as expected. I still like his future & upside as he moves along under Shanahan.

ALL rookies, esp. at QB, will have growing pains playing at the highest level in the world. Give him time, just like VY has had good moments & tough games as well. Once the game slows down for them a little bit, they will be fine. It seems to be slowing down already for VY. VY is now 5-4 as the starter for the Titans.

big daddy russ
12-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by g$$
He played like a rookie at times last night, as expected. I still like his future & upside as he moves along under Shanahan.

ALL rookies, esp. at QB, will have growing pains playing at the highest level in the world. Give him time, just like VY has had good moments & tough games as well. Once the game slows down for them a little bit, they will be fine. It seems to be slowing down already for VY. VY is now 5-4 as the starter for the Titans.
I think VY will be a good one, but I've completely reversed my opinion about Cutler since draft day. I really think Cutler will be a stud in the next three to four years. He did one thing that Vince didn't in his NFL debut--- he didn't only show flashes he left them all over the place.

You couldn't have said it better. He played like a rookie at times and he'll have a few growing pains, but his upside is tremendous.