PDA

View Full Version : TiVO for RM

CenTexSports
11-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Both Circuit City and the TiVO web site have FREE TiVO units. At Circuit City it is $219 then a $220 rebate. Through the TiVO web site the box is free.

BUT with TiVO, you have to have a monthly subscription.

$12.95 with a 3 year contract
$14.95 with a 2 year contract
$16.95 with a 1 year contract.

If you want a box that can record two programs at a time, it is an additional $69.95.

I looked it up because I am thinking of getting this for my wife for Christmas.

spiveyrat
11-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Man! That's steep! :eek:

gobblerfan02
11-29-2006, 11:39 AM
psssst.....RM, you need to ready this!!!:inlove:

SWMustang
11-29-2006, 11:45 AM
Who is your cable or satellite provider? TW Cable has a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 with two tuners and Dishnetwork has a 625 receiver with two tuners. The dual tuners allow you to watch one program while recording another. I'm just not sure I would buy a TIVO with the other options out there - but I really like having the DVR capabilities.

mwynn05
11-29-2006, 11:48 AM
I was at my bros this summer and they had dvr...man how i miss it

TMer25
11-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Man! That's steep! :eek:

The 69.95 is the cost of the box. Not a monthly charge. Or I just totally misinterpreted that lol.

TMer25
11-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Who is your cable or satellite provider? TW Cable has a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 with two tuners and Dishnetwork has a 625 receiver with two tuners. The dual tuners allow you to watch one program while recording another. I'm just not sure I would buy a TIVO with the other options out there - but I really like having the DVR capabilities.

The 8300 is easily the best of the cable company boxes, and you can add an external hard drive to it to increase capacity.

3afan
11-29-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
..... I am thinking of getting this for my wife for Christmas.

me too, thanks for the info

spiveyrat
11-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by TMer25
The 69.95 is the cost of the box. Not a monthly charge. Or I just totally misinterpreted that lol.

I was talking about the monthly charges. That's ridiculous. I wish you could still pay the "one time" charge.

Ranger Mom
11-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the info! I think I will go to Circuit City and talk to them and see what kind of deal they can make me!!

CenTexSports
11-29-2006, 12:19 PM
We have cable and the company offers digital cable and high speed internet but no DVR service. I will have to put in a DVR or opt for the TiVO.

My wife can't spell hi tech but she has 2 - MP3 players (the 4 gig wasn't big enough so she got a 20 gig), a portable DVD player for trips, DSL internet service, pays her bills over the internet, and digital cable. Isn't life amazing?

CenTexSports
11-29-2006, 12:21 PM
One more thing RM. I have found that on a lot of these electronics purchases that the web deals are better than the store ones. Also just after Christmas there seem to be a lot of specials with additional discounts and rebates.

Ranger Mom
11-29-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
One more thing RM. I have found that on a lot of these electronics purchases that the web deals are better than the store ones. Also just after Christmas there seem to be a lot of specials with additional discounts and rebates.

I hate to wait until after Christmas.....I will just have to go to Circuit City and turn on the charm! ;)

Snyder_TigerFan
11-29-2006, 12:35 PM
Be sure to get one with the dual tuner, it's worth the extra $$.

44INAROW
11-29-2006, 12:48 PM
We have Direct TV - when we got the DVR about a year ago - they came and installed both boxes - we paid $50 installation fee and there was a rebate that basically paid for the DVR boxes (which take the place of the receiver boxes) - We pay $49.99 a month for the monthly package and the 1st receiver and $4.99 each for the other 4 receivers. I don't think there is a separate fee for the DVR/Tivo usage - Weird thing - the Receiver/DVR in the living room is different than the one in the bedroom - but we can still record 2 shows at the same time while watching something that has been previously recorded. Being able to rewind live TV is a great feature when you "fall asleep" while watching something - We love it.......... :)

Ranger Mom
11-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
Be sure to get one with the dual tuner, it's worth the extra $$.

Okay!! I don't honestly see us taping shows...it will be used more for football than anything!!

spiveyrat
11-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
We have Direct TV - when we got the DVR about a year ago - they came and installed both boxes - we paid $50 installation fee and there was a rebate that basically paid for the DVR boxes (which take the place of the receiver boxes) - We pay $49.99 a month for the monthly package and the 1st receiver and $4.99 each for the other 4 receivers. I don't think there is a separate fee for the DVR/Tivo usage - Weird thing - the Receiver/DVR in the living room is different than the one in the bedroom - but we can still record 2 shows at the same time while watching something that has been previously recorded. Being able to rewind live TV is a great feature when you "fall asleep" while watching something - We love it.......... :)

44: I believe there is a monthly charge for DirecTV DVR. I think it's around $5.