PDA

View Full Version : Cal to take Holiday, probably with Texas A&M

AggieBob
11-29-2006, 10:41 AM
link (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/college_football/20061129-9999-1s29holiday.html)

“We're still focusing on Texas A&M, and we're going to try to be able to make an announcement by the end of the week,” Holiday Bowl Executive Director Bruce Binkowski said. “I couldn't see any scenario where they wouldn't be coming.”

Phil C
11-29-2006, 10:50 AM
The Aggies will kill them.

awizzy
11-29-2006, 10:52 AM
oh man i hope a&m kills them...i cant stand any team from cali...any time a texas team plays a cali team i hope we just chill them..so for one time and on time only GIG EM

Funk-d-fied
11-29-2006, 11:11 AM
Good Bull

coach
11-29-2006, 11:12 AM
man i kinda wish we would have gotten a bid to the alamo bowl bc i could ahve gotten tickets...but i guess i cant be too picky since we actuall made a bowl this year

Bulldog_12
11-29-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by coach
man i kinda wish we would have gotten a bid to the alamo bowl bc i could ahve gotten tickets...but i guess i cant be too picky since we actuall made a bowl this year

Not me, Im excited to get to go to summy San Diego! I think I might enjoy spending New Years there.:D

Macarthur
11-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Don't rule out the Gator bowl. Reports are they are pretty enamored with A&M

KTJ
11-29-2006, 12:32 PM
The Gator bowl has already stated that if they take a Big 12 team, "we want Texas."

FWIW, Texas is either going to the Gator, Alamo, or Cotton. The Alamo is literally praying to get UT in hopes Texas fans can salvage the Alamo bowl. With a 6-6 Iowa team, coupled with losing its sponsor, the Alamo is in a rut right now.

Personally, I think the NU/OU loser is a lock for the Cotton Bowl. Cotton would love to get Nebraska, seeing as how they haven't played in the Cotton Bowl in 25 years.

I think A&M is headed for the Holiday but I don't think it's a gimme win. Then again, Cal hasn't impressed me as of late.

I think it will end up like this--

Oklahoma - Fiesta
Nebraska - Cotton
Texas - Gator
Texas A&M - Holiday
Texas Tech - Alamo/Insight
Okie State - Texas
Mizzou - Independence
K-State - Alamo/Insight

Kansas - left out in the cold. Sorry Mangino!

JasperDog94
11-29-2006, 12:35 PM
I hope A&M can slap Cal around the same way Tech did 2 years ago.

Macarthur
11-29-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
The Gator bowl has already stated that if they take a Big 12 team, "we want Texas."

FWIW, Texas is either going to the Gator, Alamo, or Cotton. The Alamo is literally praying to get UT in hopes Texas fans can salvage the Alamo bowl. With a 6-6 Iowa team, coupled with losing its sponsor, the Alamo is in a rut right now.

Personally, I think the NU/OU loser is a lock for the Cotton Bowl. Cotton would love to get Nebraska, seeing as how they haven't played in the Cotton Bowl in 25 years.

I think A&M is headed for the Holiday but I don't think it's a gimme win. Then again, Cal hasn't impressed me as of late.

Oklahoma - Fiesta
Nebraska - Cotton
Texas - Gator
Texas A&M - Holiday
Okie State - Texas
Mizzou - Independence
K-State - Alamo/Insight

This says the Gator is cooling on UT.

http://www.panews.com/sportsbobwest/local_story_332211924.html

vet93
11-29-2006, 12:40 PM
KTJ...who would UT likely play in the Gator bowl?

Originally posted by KTJ

Oklahoma - Fiesta
Nebraska - Cotton
Texas - Gator
Texas A&M - Holiday
Okie State - Texas
Mizzou - Independence
K-State - Alamo/Insight

eagles_victory
11-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Cal will give the aggies all they want and more. I think Cal is the favored team going into the game if they do meet up

vet93
11-29-2006, 12:45 PM
As they should be...however, don't count out the aggies.

Originally posted by eagles_victory
Cal will give the aggies all they want and more. I think Cal is the favored team going into the game if they do meet up

KTJ
11-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
This says the Gator is cooling on UT.

http://www.panews.com/sportsbobwest/local_story_332211924.html

No offense, but I don't think the Port Arthur paper is a credible source when it comes to bowl selections.

Mac, look at this article. (And if you have to register to view and you don't want to, let me know and I'll copy and paste the article. Actually, I'll just do it anyway. :))

Gator will choose UT if its goes Big 12 route
Florida bowl also could select a Big East school, leaving Texas for the Alamo

By Suzanne Halliburton
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Texas will be the Gator Bowl's choice if the selection committee opts to take a Big 12 Conference team.

The president of the Gator Bowl told the Florida Times-Union on Tuesday that his selection committee would select the Longhorns if the committee does not opt for a Big East team.

Rick Catlett, president of the Gator Bowl Association, said the bowl in Jacksonville, Fla., also could select Louisville or West Virginia to play a school from the Atlantic Coast Conference. It's unlikely a decision will be made until late Saturday or Sunday, the day bowl invitations will be officially extended.

Bowl insiders suggested that CBS, which will telecast the Gator Bowl on New Year's Day, is putting pressure on the bowl's organizers to select the Longhorns. Texas is the defending national champion, and the Longhorns remain a popular television draw. That's critical to a bowl trying to attract viewership on New Year's Day, when six games will be played, including two Bowl Championship Series matchups.

Texas' national championship game against Southern California on Jan. 4 drew nearly 24 million viewers and was the most popular college football telecast in 19 years. Earlier this season, the Longhorns' prime-time game against Ohio State drew 8.1 million viewers.

Putting fans into the stands also is vital to the success of any bowl game.

Some bowl watchers believe the thought of Texas playing in the Gator would interest the city of Jacksonville, but Longhorns fans, disappointed about two straight losses, probably wouldn't flock to Florida.

The lack of Texas fans could be offset if the Gator Bowl gets its choice of ACC teams. That's where it gets complicated. The Gator would prefer Clemson or Maryland, which likely would bring plenty of fans.

But bowl organizers and ACC officials are trying to compromise on which team the Gator Bowl takes. The ACC is pushing a contract, which has yet to be signed, that would force the Gator to take the loser of the conference championship game, either Wake Forest or Georgia Tech.

The problem is the ACC title game will be played in Jacksonville this weekend. Last year, Virginia Tech lost the ACC championship game before being invited back to the Gator Bowl to play Louisville. Attendance for the bowl dropped by 10,000 fans, and Virginia Tech is considered to be a program with fans that travel well.

The Gator's contract with the Big 12 calls for the bowl to pick a conference team in two out of four years. Bowl officials had wooed Oklahoma until Texas' November swoon. However, there is no interest in the Sooners now if they lose to Nebraska this Saturday in the conference title game.

The Alamo Bowl in San Antonio would appear to be the Longhorns' other option.

"We think Texas is a possibility in our mix," said Alamo spokesman Rick Hill.

Again, it all depends on the Gator, which would pick after the Cotton and Holiday bowls. However, there is a one-time clause that allows the Gator Bowl to have first choice of Big 12 schools if only one team is selected for a game in the Bowl Championship Series.

The Alamo, with fifth choice of the Big Ten Conference schools, already has selected 6-6 Iowa for its game on Dec. 30.

The Longhorns are off until Dec. 12. They are hoping that quarterback Colt McCoy will be healed in time to play in their bowl game. Brad McCoy, Colt's father, said he is hopeful that his son will be recovered from a severe pinched nerve he suffered at the end of Texas' 12-7 loss to Texas A&M on Friday.

"This is totally my opinion, but I think Colt will be completely recovered," Brad McCoy said. "That's his dad's opinion, but I've talked to him every night."

KTJ...who would UT likely play in the Gator bowl?

Probably Clemson. The ACC wants the loser of Ga Tech and Wake Forest to be in the Gator Bowl, and rightfully so. They want their 2nd best team to play last years National Champs in a Bowl game. that would create more viewers (in their minds) and thus, more money. But my money is on Clemson, Wake, or Maryland.

If some miracle happens and Texas gets the Cotton Bowl, I'm hearing UT would play Auburn or Arkansas.

mwynn05
11-29-2006, 01:04 PM
They got their info from teh Florida Times Union...did you read the story?

g$$
11-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Port Arthur paper is using sources from around the country & the wire. That was not Joe Blow's opinion in Orange, TX or anything.

Who knows...probably Gator for Texas since they are a big draw & tv is pushing for it.

tiger_94
11-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Dallas paper has a pretty good article on this in todays paper, cant find the link though.

Macarthur
11-29-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05

Yeah, KTJ. I read the article did you? ;)

KTJ
11-29-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Yeah, KTJ. I read the article did you? ;)

Ha!

You got me.

But seriously, they are pushing Gator here. Who knows though. I seriously doubt the Holiday wants Texas, yet again.

Adidas410s
11-29-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05

Horns fans such as KTJ don't read...they hire people to read for them. His reader is just out to lunch right now! ;)

big daddy russ
11-29-2006, 02:40 PM
I've been hearing a lot of interest for Auburn coming out of the Cotton Bowl. What I've heard is that the Cotton will likely go for Auburn unless they can pair up Texas and Arkie.

I would love to see my boys in Dallas. I would also love to see A&M go to the Holiday Bowl. That would give me a chance to hang out in San Diego for a couple of days and then hit up Dallas.

Adidas410s
11-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I've been hearing a lot of interest for Auburn coming out of the Cotton Bowl. What I've heard is that the Cotton will likely go for Auburn unless they can pair up Texas and Arkie.

I would love to see my boys in Dallas. I would also love to see A&M go to the Holiday Bowl. That would give me a chance to hang out in San Diego for a couple of days and then hit up Dallas.

Though the Texas/Arkie matchup would be a fun one to watch...I wouldn't mind Auburn being here either. Come on up for NYE Russ! :)

Then again...if it was up to me the game would be Okie State or BlowU vs Ole Miss every year. As much as it pains me to say, the Okie schools have the best women in the conference and Ole Miss girls...mmm...yeah...:D :D :D

Old Tiger
11-29-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm hearing Texas vs. Clemson/Maryland in the gator bowl. That is if the fans from WVU/Louisville don't show enough interest.

big daddy russ
11-29-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Though the Texas/Arkie matchup would be a fun one to watch...I wouldn't mind Auburn being here either. Come on up for NYE Russ! :)

Then again...if it was up to me the game would be Okie State or BlowU vs Ole Miss every year. As much as it pains me to say, the Okie schools have the best women in the conference and Ole Miss girls...mmm...yeah...:D :D :D
My dream this postseason is to see Texas play Auburn. And I'd definitely be there for New Year's Eve. We'll paint the town, deal?

And yeah, my biggest regret in life was transferring to SHSU instead of Ole Miss. Sure, I'm half married, but the scenery out in Oxford is just so nice.

Old Tiger
11-29-2006, 03:26 PM

And yeah, my biggest regret in life was transferring to SHSU instead of Ole Miss. Sure, I'm half married, but the scenery out in Oxford is just so nice. so your engaged? lol That's funny sounding.

Txbroadcaster
11-29-2006, 03:26 PM
If WV wins Texas goes Alamo and plays a 6-6 Iowa team..If WV loses they go Gator to play Clemson

mwynn05
11-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Texas better hope they don't go to the Cotton Bowl and play Arkansas. A&M had a lot of success running the ball against Texas (enough to win the game any way) I think Arkansas would have a lot more.

big daddy russ
11-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
so your engaged? lol That's funny sounding.
Not yet. But I might have a ring that might find it's way onto her finger in the next month. ;)

Old Tiger
11-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Not yet. But I might have a ring that might find it's way onto her finger in the next month. ;) Sweet, good luck and congratulations!

g$$
11-29-2006, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

You are so right about the girls from those schools. Ole Miss girls are off the charts. Basically the whole SEC is pretty good in the "talent" department.

Eagles52
11-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Unless Cal has a severe let down after getting knocked out of the NC picture, I'd think that they're a good bit better. But I'll be rooting for the Aggies and hope that I'm wrong.