PDA

View Full Version : Help...I am electronically challenged

Ranger Mom
11-29-2006, 10:12 AM
What is the difference between TIVO and DVR??

I want to get my hubby something like that for Christmas. We watch games at my brother and sis-in-laws a lot...and they have TIVO. He really likes how they can pause it and go to outside to pee, smoke, or whatever.

Their TIVO is included in their Direct TV...we just have some rinky dink cable company.

My question is this....is TIVO something that is included with a cable package, or a separate thing. Does it just record to some kind of memory? Does is use DVD's??

I am assuming a DVR uses DVD's.....are they reusable??

What would be the best thing to get if we don't have a cable package that includes any of the TIVO stuff, or does that even matter??

kaorder1999
11-29-2006, 10:14 AM
I thought TIVO and DVR was pretty much the same thing ....They both digitally record the video.

Adidas410s
11-29-2006, 10:15 AM
DVR (Digital Video Recorder) is the technology. TiVo is a type of DVR.

I'll put together some more detailed info for ya in a sec...or just wait for TMer to explain it! ;)

Adidas410s
11-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
go to outside to pee

they have an outhouse??? :thinking:

Ranger Mom
11-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
they have an outhouse??? :thinking:

Do guys NEED an outhouse??

kaorder1999
11-29-2006, 10:18 AM
funny...but yeah....TIVO is a type of DVR.

Ranger Mom
11-29-2006, 10:18 AM

I just typed TIVO into google....the first thing that came up was:

"TIVO - the world's first, best and easiest to use DVR"!

I could have found that out all by myself and not make myself look completely stupid!!:p

kaorder1999
11-29-2006, 10:19 AM
you did say THEY could go outside and pee so that does include the sis-in-law....

Ranger Mom
11-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
you did say THEY could go outside and pee so that does include the sis-in-law....

Sorry....I should have been more specific.

"THEY" as in hubby and brother.

Sis-in-law doesn't much join us when we are watching a game!!

Ranger Mom
11-29-2006, 10:27 AM

I'll put together some more detailed info for ya in a sec...or just wait for TMer to explain it! ;)

Thanks...the more I read about it, the more confused I am!

kaorder1999
11-29-2006, 10:29 AM
you can use pretty much ANY DVR unit for your cable. It doesnt have to specifically be TIVO

Leopards,class of 75
Ranger Mom, your cable company should have a tivo type of cable box that you can rent from them. They charge so much a month to your cable bill and it might not be cost effective. We have a direct tv dish with TIVO and love it! The extra charge is only $5.00 a month for the service no matter how many TIVO's you want to use. This allows you to be able to record two channels at the same time, pause live t.v. up to 30 minutes, record your favorite shows in a season pass. The TVRO's are so easy to use and you can fast forward or rewind in 3 different speeds. The second question you have about the DVR is this...... Unlike the TVRO, they use a cd type of disk and they can record your shows just like a vcr. You can buy disk that you can use over and over if you want to. I hope this will help you out.

STANG RED
Sis-in-law doesn't much join us when we are watching a game!!

COMMUNIST!!!:mad: :D

Ranger Mom
11-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Leopards,class of 75
Ranger Mom, your cable company should have a tivo type of cable box that you can rent from them. They charge so much a month to your cable bill and it might not be cost effective. We have a direct tv didh with TIVO and love it! The extra charge is only $5.00 a month for the service no matter how many TIVO's you want to use. This allows you to be able to record two channels at the same time, pause live t.v. up to 30 minutes, record your favorite shows in a season pass. The TVRO's are so easy to use and you can fast forward or rewind in 3 different speeds. The second question you have about the DVR is this...... Unlike the TVRO, they use a cd type of disk and they can record your shows just like a vcr. You can buy disk that you can use over and over if you want to. I hope this will help you out.

So...if I went down to Best Buy and bought a TIVO..then what? If there is a monthly charge..who is it paid to?

I don't think our Cable company has branched out that far yet!!

Adidas410s
11-29-2006, 10:37 AM
So...if I went down to Best Buy and bought a TIVO..then what? If there is a monthly charge..who is it paid to?

Who is your cable company?

Ranger Mom
11-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Who is your cable company?

Some little one out of Odessa...Ridgewood Cable.

It serves in between Midland/Odessa and Greenwood.

Cox Cable..or SuddenLink I think its called now..is in Midland...but not Greenwood.

It may be that I have to get another cable company!

Ranger Mom
11-29-2006, 10:42 AM
Here is their website:

Ridgewood Cablevision (http://www.ridgewoodcable.com/odessa.html)

I could get high speed internet through them, if I wanted to pay $70 a month for it!!:rolleyes:

awizzy
11-29-2006, 10:43 AM

yes it depends on how long you get a contract for...we just got one and its like 12 bucks a month for three years...we have had for a few weeks and i am in love with it

Leopards,class of 75
11-29-2006, 10:44 AM

I don't think our Cable company has branched out that far yet!! No, don't go to Best Buy!!!! lol Call Direct T.V. and tell them that you are tired of your cable and just tell them that you want a TVRO for free!!!! They work well with new customers and they want your business. Dish Network is another option too. You will be amazed with the quality of the picture over cable. And I think you will find a package on either Dish Network and Direct T.V. that you can live with. You can put up to 4 receiver's in your home.(I think the charge for that is $5.00 per extra receiver) But you want at least 1 receiver to be a TVRO. Like I said before, if you tell them that you are a new customer, they will give you the dish and the receivers for free!!! You need to ask them how long the contract will be before you sign up.

spiveyrat
11-29-2006, 10:46 AM
FYI, TIVO uses an internal hard drive. No "loose" DVD's required.

STANG RED
11-29-2006, 10:46 AM
Some little one out of Odessa...Ridgewood Cable.

It serves in between Midland/Odessa and Greenwood.

Cox Cable..or SuddenLink I think its called now..is in Midland...but not Greenwood.

It may be that I have to get another cable company!

Sounds like DISH or something like that, might be a better gift first, and I'll bet TIVO is included.

Ranger Mom
11-29-2006, 10:47 AM
No, don't go to Best Buy!!!! lol Call Direct T.V. and tell them that you are tired of your cable and just tell them that you want a TVRO for free!!!! They work well with new customers and they want your business. Dish Network is another option too. You will be amazed with the quality of the picture over cable. And I think you will find a package on either Dish Network and Direct T.V. that you can live with. You can put up to 4 receiver's in your home.(I think the charge for that is $5.00 per extra receiver) But you want at least 1 receiver to be a TVRO. Like I said before, if you tell them that you are a new customer, they will give you the dish and the receivers for free!!! You need to ask them how long the contract will be before you sign up.

My only problem with getting another cable company is that I have 8 TV's on cable right now. I have yet to find one that charges under $50 a month, like I am getting now. I don't want to pay a fortune for cable...I just dont' watch TV that much.

Ranger Mom
11-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Just broke down and called Ridgewood...the guy I talked to said there are lots of Ridgewood customers who have TIVO....so THAT answered the question.

I don't know why I didn't just call them first!!

SOO.....since I know it will work, where is the best place to get one?

TMer25
11-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Basically Tivo and DVR's are one and the same. Tivo has it's own user interface and software that is usually much better than the software cable companies use on their DVR's. Their should be no problem using a Tivo with any cable company

Leopards,class of 75
11-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Just broke down and called Ridgewood...the guy I talked to said there are lots of Ridgewood customers who have TIVO....so THAT answered the question.

SOO.....since I know it will work, where is the best place to get one? Ok, if you want to stay with your cable ,call them back and ask them how much thier TRVO's are. My parents have Cox cable and thats where they got thiers from Ranger Mom.

spiveyrat
11-29-2006, 10:59 AM
LOTS of TIVO data:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tivo

Ranger Mom
11-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Ok, if you want to stay with your cable ,call them back and ask them how much thier TRVO's are. My parents have Cox cable and thats where they got thiers from Ranger Mom.

They don't have it. I HAVE to get it somewhere else.

awizzy
11-29-2006, 11:00 AM

i would just go to best buy

TMer25
11-29-2006, 11:01 AM

Best Buy or Circuit CIty

Adidas410s
11-29-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by TMer25
Tivo has it's own user interface and software that is usually much better than the software cable companies use on their DVR's.

The software on my DVR likes to record it's own programs when I'm not at home. It's favorites are CBS Nightly News and the different sirius music channels. Every so often it likes to stop recording a show when I am recording 2 at a time and skipping over a program (mainly on Fridays) when it's too tired to work.

I would call to get it replaced but I have some shows that I just don't want to lose that I've recorded.

TMer25
11-29-2006, 11:17 AM
The software on my DVR likes to record it's own programs when I'm not at home. It's favorites are CBS Nightly News and the different sirius music channels. Every so often it likes to stop recording a show when I am recording 2 at a time and skipping over a program (mainly on Fridays) when it's too tired to work.

I would call to get it replaced but I have some shows that I just don't want to lose that I've recorded.

That does not surprise me lol.

spiveyrat
11-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Once a show is written to your DVR, can you later burn it to a DVD by outputting it to a DVD player/recorder?

TMer25
11-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Once a show is written to your DVR, can you later burn it to a DVD by outputting it to a DVD player/recorder?

Sure can

gobblerfan02
11-29-2006, 11:31 AM
My only problem with getting another cable company is that I have 8 TV's on cable right now. I have yet to find one that charges under $50 a month, like I am getting now. I don't want to pay a fortune for cable...I just dont' watch TV that much.

Sorry Kel, but after reading this I just couldn't stop laughing because I just have to ask you this question:

Why on earth do you have 8 TV's on cable if you "just don't watch TV that much?"

spiveyrat
11-29-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
Sorry Kel, but after reading this I just couldn't stop laughing because I just have to ask you this question:

Why on earth do you have 8 TV's on cable if you "just don't watch TV that much?"

I was wondering the same thing. :nerd:

Ranger Mom
11-29-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02

It's not like I am the only who lives there!!

We could have NO cable and as long as I saw the football games I wanted, I would be fine.

(American Idol is on FOX, so I can pick that up with just an antenna)!

BUT....others in my house DO watch TV, and with 8 TVs all getting a cable feed, $47 a month is CHEAP!!!

LHMom
11-29-2006, 08:59 PM
Kelly - you will LOVE having a DVR. I was addicted after like a week. I couldn't live without it now. I never miss Friday Night Lights, Gray's Anatomy or any other show. And no worries about missing any of Idol come January. Even if I'm home, I wait till like 15-20 minutes after the hour and speed through the commercials so it only takes about 35-40 minutes to watch an hour show. Wonderful!!

necks_c/09
11-29-2006, 09:02 PM
us cool people pee in the grass....:D

no outhouse needed

sinton66
11-29-2006, 09:18 PM
They don't have it. I HAVE to get it somewhere else.

Check Wally-World first, then Circuit City or Best Buy. Ya never know.

Ranger Mom
11-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Check Wally-World first, then Circuit City or Best Buy. Ya never know.

I looked at Walmart today at lunch...I don't know if they just don't carry it, or were sold out...but they had nothing.

I seem to always end up buying all my electronics at Circuit City, so I think I will try there next!

kaorder1999
11-29-2006, 10:03 PM
best buy