PDA

View Full Version : All-Big 12 selections released~!

Funk-d-fied
11-29-2006, 09:40 AM
http://www.big12sports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112806aac.html

Adidas410s
11-29-2006, 09:49 AM
what?? :eek:

How could the guttiest QB in the history of college football (Stephen McGee) not be 1st team??? Did they not just see him lead the Aggies to an impressive win in Austin last week??? This is outrage!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

vet93
11-29-2006, 10:01 AM
O.K. Adidas...you can now remove tounge from cheek! Honestly, no serious football fan could put Stephen first team. His passing numbers just were not there...however, with the game on the line...he is pretty tough to go against.

Originally posted by Adidas410s

How could the guttiest QB in the history of college football (Stephen McGee) not be 1st team??? Did they not just see him lead the Aggies to an impressive win in Austin last week??? This is outrage!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

awizzy
11-29-2006, 10:09 AM
how about Adrian Peterson be first team...he hasnt played in 6 weeks give me a break...i know hes one hell of a player and the best rb in the nation when he is healthy but come one...and UT has two players from the wrost secondary in the big 12 on the first team...i mean come on who makes these

Funk-d-fied
11-29-2006, 10:12 AM
I think it says opposing coaches vote on these, not coaches voting for their own players. It is pretty crazy though...

Macarthur
11-29-2006, 10:15 AM
I'll take McGee over Chase Daniel any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Phil C
11-29-2006, 10:24 AM

:mad:

kaorder1999
11-29-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Funk-d-fied
I think it says opposing coaches vote on these, not coaches voting for their own players. It is pretty crazy though...

you are correct...they cannot vote on their own players....

Phil C
11-29-2006, 10:31 AM
There is some truth to this. I have a few of examples from history. One if from the 1950s when Coach Bryant was at A&M. He build up a great team with tough defense and a good running game. They didn't pass much but they were effective when they had to. In other words their passing was effective in quality rather than quantity. Many of them went for tds. It got to where there was an Aggie Joke that said (with a certain amount of truth) "A&M can't pass worth a lick except for touchdowns."

Another one was Duke Carlisle who was QB at Texas in the National Championship year in 1963. He didn't have the spectacular passing yards or running yards like a lot of qbs had but he could do what was needed to win all the games. In fact after Texas beat Oklahoma that year one sportswriter said "He's the best quarterback in America and yet he won't even make All Conference."

The last example was our 1969 quarterback named James Street who led us to the National Championship that year. UT would get so far ahead of the opponents uaually by halftime and he had to be taken out . A joke went around that said "He may be the best quarterback ever who didn't get enough time to letter." Of course he earned his letter big against Arkansas and Notre Dame.

awizzy
11-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I'll take McGee over Chase Daniel any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
as would i...hes good ball player..but so is chase

Leopards,class of 75
11-29-2006, 10:48 AM
I'll take McGee over Chase Daniel any day of the week and twice on Sunday. WAY too early to tell for me! Give them both another year of playing time then you might be able to make that call.

DukeNukem
11-29-2006, 10:53 AM
what is a shame, is Texas has the most talented running back in the country in Jamaal Charles and they can't even get him on the all conference teams much less all america, heisman, etc... they possibly have the best offensive line as well yet they stay in the spread and allow teams to hang around with them and instead of lining up and running the ball down teams' throats. too much finesse and not enough physicallity makes for weak teams against tough opponents.

awizzy
11-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by DukeNukem
what is a shame, is Texas has the most talented running back in the country in Jamaal Charles and they can't even get him on the all conference teams much less all america, heisman, etc... they possibly have the best offensive line as well yet they stay in the spread and allow teams to hang around with them and instead of lining up and running the ball down teams' throats. too much finesse and not enough physicallity makes for weak teams against tough opponents.
charles is good but idk if he is as good as peterson or even wolfe at that...but as for texas if they would just line up in the "I"...then he would have much better stats

Funk-d-fied
11-29-2006, 11:10 AM
One thing that got me was Mike Goodson only recieving honorable mention....

theyoefnshow
11-29-2006, 11:12 AM
garbage. if I counted right oklahoma has SIXTEEN on 1st 2nd and HM?? whatever....
mccoy goes from heisman hopeful to 3rd string? someone explain

Funk-d-fied
11-29-2006, 11:34 AM
and how in the he-doublehockeysticks does OU get to play in the Big 12 championship and possibly a BCS bowl after the crap his program got into trouble for?????

gobblerfan02
11-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Im giving my props to a good friend:

Cody Wallace, OL, Big 12 Second Team, Cuero, Texas!

Way to go Cody, you make a lot of people proud, keep up the hard work and it'll pay off in the end!

BTEXDAD
11-29-2006, 11:56 AM
and how in the he-doublehockeysticks does OU get to play in the Big 12 championship and possibly a BCS bowl after the crap his program got into trouble for?????

Now there's an aggie I agree with.
Everything his players were doing in their spare time was unbeknownst to Stoops tho. Don't you remember him saying that? ( :rolleyes: )

I'm not being sarcastic in saying I think Franchione should possibly be coach of yr. instead of stoops also.
Aggies weren't picked to have as many wins as they did and they definitely improved from beginning of season to end.
The head to head mtg between OK and A&M probably decided coach of yr.

TMer25
11-29-2006, 11:59 AM
I really can't argue with Stoops being coach of the year. What OU did after Petersen went down was totally unexpected. Plus if they don't get screwed by replay official's in Oregon, they are 11-1 and probably in the jumble of one loss teams trying to get a shot at Ohio St.

g$$
11-29-2006, 12:02 PM
I take all these picks with a grain of salt. Some I agree with, others I do not. So much has to do with preseason exposure & name.

Congrats to all. McGee will be All Big 12 before he is done. I still think he has a hurt shoulder to be repaired after the season. Yes, part of it is the offense, but anyone who saw this kid throw the ball in HS knows something is wrong.

Funk-d-fied
11-29-2006, 12:11 PM
I heard he is having surgery after the bowl in Dallas on his shoulder....

g$$
11-29-2006, 12:21 PM
Would not surprise me...but I think we play in Holiday Bowl in San Diego!

Macarthur
11-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Leopards,class of 75
WAY too early to tell for me! Give them both another year of playing time then you might be able to make that call.

No, I think McGee was better THIS year. I think McGee's passing will improve next year while Daniel losses a couple of his receivers, I think. Plus, Pinkel will always find a way to screw things up. Very shocked he got an extension this year.

Macarthur
11-29-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by DukeNukem

I don't know about the MOST talented, but he is very underutililzed.

I agree that the spread is not the right offense for UT this year. I am also of the belief that many teams are running it because it's the thing to do these days when, in reality, their personel does not really fit.

UT's offensive line underachieved this year, especially the last two games.

g$$
11-29-2006, 12:49 PM
I don't know about the MOST talented, but he is very underutililzed.

I agree that the spread is not the right offense for UT this year. I am also of the belief that many teams are running it because it's the thing to do these days when, in reality, their personel does not really fit.

UT's offensive line underachieved this year, especially the last two games.

The zone read does not fit Texas' personnel anymore. It did with VY. Charles is talented & fast, but I could name a bunch of backs in the Big 12 & nationally much better. He is a scat back plain & simple, not a between the tackles guy.

Zone read is the "in vogue" offense right now, & football coaches are the biggest copy cats in the world. That does not mean it is always the best fit.

JasperDog94
11-29-2006, 12:51 PM

How could the guttiest QB in the history of college football (Stephen McGee) not be 1st team??? Did they not just see him lead the Aggies to an impressive win in Austin last week??? This is outrage!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: Let's look at the numbers for the year:

QB rating: (national)
McGee - 39th
McCoy - 5th

Passing yards:
McGee - 2118
McCoy - 2262

Completion %:
McGee - 61.7
McCoy - 68.7

Passing TD:
McGee - 11
McCoy - 27

Rushing yards:
McGee - 635
McCoy - 167

Rushing TD:
McGee - 4
McCoy - 2

McGee played a heck of a game against Texas. But one game doen't give you 1st team status. It's the body of work over the year. Colt's numbers are slightly better than McGee's. Both are excellent QBs, but to say the McGee got robbed is a little much.

JasperDog94
11-29-2006, 12:54 PM
and how in the he-doublehockeysticks does OU get to play in the Big 12 championship and possibly a BCS bowl after the crap his program got into trouble for????? True. A guy that doesn't even know what his players are doing gets coach of the year? Give me a break.:rolleyes:

g$$
11-29-2006, 01:03 PM
This is not a homer pick, but IMO Chris Harrington of A&M deserved better than HM on the list. He was A&M's best DL all year & maybe their best defensive player (sacks, TFL, forced fumbles, tackles, etc.). Bullitt got 1st team DB & he is more of a run stopper than true DB. He got burned multiple times this year.

You know who had a bad year? Frank Okam of Texas, DT. He was projected to maybe leave early for the NFL but he is not listed anywhere. I have read where scouts say he does not get off blocks & is not very disruptive for a man of his ability. In other words, lazy & takes plays off.

BTEXDAD
11-29-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by g$$
The zone read does not fit Texas' personnel anymore. It did with VY.

Zone read is the "in vogue" offense right now, & football coaches are the biggest copy cats in the world. That does not mean it is always the best fit.

Good post, g$$.
Not to rehash old threads, but this zone read offense is just another reason some UT fans were on offensive coordinator Davis again.
When he had Simms at QB, he was very conservative and got blasted for that.
With VY, it took him awhile to realize that VY was perfect fit for Zone read, so they put it in. Now it's taken him this year and will probably take most of next to realize it doesn't fit mccoy.

Also, I agree on Charles as RB. He is good change of pace back, but will not be a 20-25 carry guy in college unless something changes drastically injury or offense wise.

g$$
11-29-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
Good post, g$$.
Not to rehash old threads, but this zone read offense is just another reason some UT fans were on offensive coordinator Davis again.
With VY, it took him awhile to realize that VY was perfect fit for Zone read, so they put it in. Now it's taken him this year and will probably take most of next to realize it doesn't fit mccoy.

Also, I agree on Charles as RB. He is good change of pace back, but will not be a 20-25 carry guy in college unless something changes drastically injury or offense wise.

Agreed on all points. I think Texas would be downright scary if they were more of a multiple, pro-style offense. The talent is there, why not make the switch this Spring? I guess Davis does deserve some of the criticism. But, it is Mack's show so he has to take the reigns & make the changes if he feels they are necessary. Mack was an OC in his day at multiple places, so maybe he needs to get in Davis' ear a little more.

JasperDog94
11-29-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
Good post, g$$.

Also, I agree on Charles as RB. He is good change of pace back, but will not be a 20-25 carry guy in college unless something changes drastically injury or offense wise. I'm not sold either way on Charles. I don't attend practices, so I don't know how he runs on a consistant basis. It sure would be nice to see Texas line up in the I formation or pro-set and let Charles just hit the hole a few times. With that offensive line you know at some point he's going to break one.

Macarthur
11-29-2006, 02:25 PM
I differ a bit on Charles. I think he could be a 20-25 carry a game guy. He is deceptively strong and has great speed. I'd darn sure give it to him 25 times and just find out if he can handle it. He can take it to the house from anywhere on the field.

Funk-d-fied
11-29-2006, 03:38 PM
I would like to see Jamaal Charles and Mike Goodson in a race, with or wothout pads.....that would be a race.

big daddy russ
11-29-2006, 03:41 PM
The list looks good to me.

SpreadtheRed
11-29-2006, 03:58 PM

You would have to be drunk to put McGee 1st team. He sucks at passing and everone knows it.

big daddy russ
11-29-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by SpreadtheRed
You would have to be drunk to put McGee 1st team. He sucks at passing and everone knows it.
I hate to say it, but he's scared to make a decision unless it's crunch time. When it's down to the wire, he becomes a completely different QB. Makes his reads and is very decisive.

Other than that, though, I think he's a great QB.

Adidas410s
11-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Let's look at the numbers for the year:

McGee played a heck of a game against Texas. But one game doen't give you 1st team status. It's the body of work over the year. Colt's numbers are slightly better than McGee's. Both are excellent QBs, but to say the McGee got robbed is a little much.

Both of you might want to look at what Vet wrote here at the top of the thread! ;);)

Originally posted by vet93
O.K. Adidas...you can now remove tounge from cheek!

I don't honestly think McGee should've been the 1st team QB. I was just poking fun at those who go on and on about his greatness.

Oh...and to Spread, if you look at what McGee did in HS throwing the ball then you would realize that he doesn't suck at passing. It's a combination of a) the offense that Ags run b) the lack of passing reps he gets in practice because of the offense and c) it's rumored by many that he is having shoulder problems that will require surgery at the end of the season.

g$$
11-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Both of you might want to look at what Vet wrote here at the top of the thread! ;);)

I don't honestly think McGee should've been the 1st team QB. I was just poking fun at those who go on and on about his greatness.

Oh...and to Spread, if you look at what McGee did in HS throwing the ball then you would realize that he doesn't suck at passing. It's a combination of a) the offense that Ags run b) the lack of passing reps he gets in practice because of the offense and c) it's rumored by many that he is having shoulder problems that will require surgery at the end of the season.

Very good points Adidas. I expect McGee to have shoulder surgery after the season. But the offensive scheme is to blame too.

Stephen McGee can throw the football, be it high school or college. The kid threw for 8,256 yds. at Burnet w/ lots of tds.

SpreadtheRed
11-29-2006, 07:09 PM

yeaaaaa....and graham harrell holds all sorts of records in high school, look where tech got. Good for McGee he can do great in high school. I saw him in person at the Tech game and on TV against Nebraska and he was a zero threat throwing the ball as the numbers reflected it. He is so inaccurate AT TIMES that you have to wonder why he is playing QB (but then you look at the aggies coach and it explains all :doh: )

g$$
11-29-2006, 07:12 PM
yeaaaaa....and graham harrell holds all sorts of records in high school, look where tech got. Good for McGee he can do great in high school. I saw him in person at the Tech game and on TV against Nebraska and he was a zero threat throwing the ball as the numbers reflected it. He is so inaccurate AT TIMES that you have to wonder why he is playing QB (but then you look at the aggies coach and it explains all :doh: )

To diss McGee is just ludicrous. Kid's a winner playing in an option offense & with a bum shoulder. What bowl is Tech going to again?

Yes, I know Tech beat A&M on a last second pass. Good for them. Body of work - what bowl again? Insight?

I would take McGee over Harrell any day of the week. It is more than just #s too.

SpreadtheRed
11-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Come on man, quit being a typical aggie making excuses....lol, Im pretty sure aggies had a lil under a minute to drive the field but failed against Tech after A&M's secondary blew up. no last second pass there. Have fun in the Holiday Bowl, it must be exciting to finally get to a bowl period. I am by no means sayin Harrell is good, never did say anything close to it, but all I'm saying is you're on McGee's nuts obviously...

SpreadtheRed
11-29-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by g$$
To diss McGee is just ludicrous. Kid's a winner playing in an option offense & with a bum shoulder. What bowl is Tech going to again?

Yes, I know Tech beat A&M on a last second pass. Good for them. Body of work - what bowl again? Insight?

I would take McGee over Harrell any day of the week. It is more than just #s too.

OMG!....lol, Pretty sure A&M had a lil under a minute to drive the field and score but failed in doing so. Its not Tech's fault A&M's secondary choked and robert johnson made a good catch. Quit being a typical aggie and making excuses for McGee. I never said Harrell was good, nothing in my previous replies said anything bout Harrell being better, even though I would take Harrell before McGee. haha, don't play the "What bowl is Tech going to?" game...then again I guess you don't know how to act when A&M finally makes a bowl game, so I'll pardon you and your ignorance

g$$
11-29-2006, 08:09 PM
I am not swinging on anyone's genitals. I simply said McGee is better than you give him credit for being.

Want to check all-time school records? Yes, Tech has owned A&M in recent years (not when I was in school). But I would take our program & our SCHOOL over the Technical one anytime, thanks. Tech is a 2nd rate institution academically, but you do have some good-looking ladies (albeit not the brightest). Do you care to challenge me on the academic prowess of Texas Tech University?

Tech beat A&M & made the plays to get it done. No excuses here.

Don't try to get personal with me Techster. The only people who go to Tech are the ones who could not get into Texas or A&M. Or live in far West Tx & don't get out much. Lubbock is so bad you have to leave town to buy alcohol. Keep that place Sport.

neck_06
11-29-2006, 08:15 PM
on the defensive side of things, how is Chris Harrington not on the first or second team!!! he came up with big play after big play when it mattered.

g$$
11-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by g$$
This is not a homer pick, but IMO Chris Harrington of A&M deserved better than HM on the list. He was A&M's best DL all year & maybe their best defensive player (sacks, TFL, forced fumbles, tackles, etc.). Bullitt got 1st team DB & he is more of a run stopper than true DB. He got burned multiple times this year.

You know who had a bad year? Frank Okam of Texas, DT. He was projected to maybe leave early for the NFL but he is not listed anywhere. I have read where scouts say he does not get off blocks & is not very disruptive for a man of his ability. In other words, lazy & takes plays off.

Agreed Neck 06. I posted this earlier. Harrington should have been at the least 2nd team DE. He was our best defensive player all year & torched Texas, OU, & Nebraska all day. That should have been enough right there to me! Kid is a player & has the bloodlines too (former Aggie All-American Dave Elmendorf's nephew).

SpreadtheRed
11-29-2006, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I am not swinging on anyone's genitals. I simply said McGee is better than you give him credit for being.

Want to check all-time school records? Yes, Tech has owned A&M in recent years (not when I was in school). But I would take our program & our SCHOOL over the Technical one anytime, thanks. Tech is a 2nd rate institution academically, but you do have some good-looking ladies (albeit not the brightest). Do you care to challenge me on the academic prowess of Texas Tech University?

Don't try to get personal with me Techster. The only people who go to Tech are the ones who could not get into Texas or A&M. Or live in far West Tx & don't get out much. Lubbock is so bad you have to leave town to buy alcohol. Keep that place Sport.

HAHAHA great reply! Wanna know why I didn't get into A&M? Didn't apply pardna...Don't really give a **** about who is "academically superior." Could've easily have gotten accepted but not into sodomy and cults.

mrescape43
11-29-2006, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by g$$

I'll take a stab at this! You aren't the sharpest tool in the shed!

g$$
11-30-2006, 04:37 AM
HAHAHA great reply! Wanna know why I didn't get into A&M? Didn't apply pardna...Don't really give a **** about who is "academically superior." Could've easily have gotten accepted but not into sodomy and cults.

Really, you must be into diseases & a 2nd rate education then. Tech is thought of as a lesser school for good reason. Deal with it.

Wanna know why I did not consider Tech? Don't respect it, care to go anywhere near Lubbock, or want to work for Domino's tossing pizzas.

g$$
11-30-2006, 04:37 AM

...still laughing at you

g$$
11-30-2006, 04:41 AM

...laughing at you again

sotxrat
11-30-2006, 04:42 AM
that is great.......i guess i will have a couple of good pizza cookers when they get out

g$$
11-30-2006, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by mrescape43
I'll take a stab at this! You aren't the sharpest tool in the shed!

I'll take that bet. We can IQ up anytime Escape, anytime.

SpreadtheRed
11-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by g$$
I'll take that bet. We can IQ up anytime Escape, anytime.

I concede. You are just too clever for me........How can I ever outsmart you?:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Funk-d-fied
11-30-2006, 09:38 AM
This is to funny.... g$$ don't get intot it, he might want to start a rivalry with you on it, lol..... Both universities are nice, it's just that we all know which one is nicer. On another note, which bowl is Tceh going to anyways? The alamo or what? Not being smart, this is areal question.

g$$
11-30-2006, 06:25 PM
The Mike Leach Pirate Bowl starring Johhny Depp at halftime!