PDA

View Full Version : Bonham coach let go, interesting story

VWG
11-29-2006, 08:45 AM
check it out at the old coach website.......

jason
11-29-2006, 08:46 AM
link ??

Phil C
11-29-2006, 09:09 AM
Why would they let him go. He had a good record.

VWG
11-29-2006, 09:13 AM
www.theoldcoach.com

story is in first section of website

3&2count
11-29-2006, 09:34 AM
Large crowd gathers at Bonham School Board

By Vicki Graves
Herald Democrat

BONHAM — Bonham School Board meetings seldom draw a crowd, but more than 100 people turned out Monday night. Most of them apparently came to support head football coach Larry McFarlin, who is leaving his job, evidently under pressure and with no reasons stated.

McFarlin did not offer his resignation in writing, however, speaking in the open forum section of the meeting, “At a meeting last Monday morning, Nov. 13, I was informed by two administrators that a change would be made for the head football coaching position for the next season.”

He said he was advised that effective immediately, he would be placed on leave with pay and was directed to have his office cleaned out by 4 p.m. the next day and his keys turned in.

“My resignation was asked for and it will be granted,” he said.

The Board of Trustees did not discuss the matter in public and after considering it in executive session, neither took action nor commented on it.

Some who attended the meeting said they wanted to know why he was leaving. They had passed out flyers urging the community to show up and let the board members know they’re protesting. “We must demand answers or our children will continue to lose valuable influences and role models. ... Our children deserve Coach Mac,” the flyer states.

Tears trickled down the faces of many in attendance as the board went about its business. Some of the younger children cried openly and their mothers talked about what a terrible a decision the school board is making. “You don’t fire role models,” Michelle Gregory said out loud.

Board President Charles Butler told her not to talk because she hadn’t filled out the required form to speak in the open forum section of the meeting. However, others did submit that form, including assistant coach Bret Willis, Lance Davis, Jim Simpson, Dean Lackey and McFarlin himself. Long applause followed those speakers’ statements.

“I was informed last Monday,” Willis said, “that our program was not headed in the right direction and that changes were going to be made. I was stunned by the comment, as were a lot of us.” Willis told trustees the football team hasn’t had the best record this year but asked if that meant they were headed in the wrong direction. The team has been in the playoffs the last two years, he said, adding that last year the team accomplished more than any team in the past 14 years.

“As Coach Mac would say, we hit a bump in the road this year, but are we headed in the wrong direction? I think I want to know what the wrong direction is.”

Willis said there are 50-percent more athletes in the program; more interest in the program than in previous years and more former students attend games than ever before. Willis said McFarlin created that situation by instilling pride lost in past years. He said somebody needs to find the truth and stop listening to untrue rumors about McFarlin. “We’re about to lose a great coach,” he said.

Lance Davis said he believes that McFarlin cares more about the Bonham Purple Warrior football program more than anyone who has preceded him and anyone who will follow, he said.

Simpson then took the floor to say that he’s known McFarlin for 26 years and has never questioned his character. “I’ve always heard that you should never do better than your boss and I guess that we know why now,” he said. The people cheered and applauded. “Our kids now think they have cost a man his job,” Simpson said. “It can’t be the record. The last coach that had a losing record is now athletic director.” More applause interrupted. Simpson accused trustees of acting as judge and jury and said they should investigate the issue further rather than relying on rumors.

Lackey told board members that McFarlin is “about as good a guy” as he knows. “My son asked what direction we go (now) and he was not answered. You are running off a good guy.”

Appearing extremely moved and emotional, McFarlin thanked the board for the opportunity to speak. He thanked his family, friends and Purple Warriors’ supporters.

McFarlin said he was denied the privilege of representing the 2006 football team at the all-district meeting the past Wednesday at Celina. The next day, in the presence of administrative staff, he went through his permanent personnel file and found no documentation of wrongdoing or evaluations, he said.

“I leave behind 216 Friday night football games as a player and coach for the Bonham Purple Warriors,” he said, “but if it weren’t for the bad times, we couldn’t appreciate the good times.” McFarlin then said he would leave by quoting an author whose name he didn’t state. “Football games are won and lost by teams not by individuals. Victory requires the concerted efforts of players, coaches, trainers, administrators and fans. Even the brightest star is limited by the play of his team mates. Grid iron success requires hard work and team work. That’s football. That’s life.”

After the open forum BISD Superintendent Linda Gist went on with other agenda items while the people slowly stood up and walked out of the room. But they stayed in the hall, creating a noticeable murmur.

Then when the trustees left for closed session, the parent denied the opportunity to speak in open forum, Michelle Gregory, said as she stood in the hallway, “My son is devastated. He’s crushed and he’s saying he’s not going to play football again. These kids have been done a great injustice.” The students have learned from McFarlin to lose gracefully, she said. “I think there’s a whole lot more to that than learning to win and brag about it. Look at this,” she said, pointing to students lining the wall. “If Coach Mac didn’t care about them, do you think they’d be here? These are high school kids who could be home playing X-Box. They came hoping they’d be heard. No one got a good answer. No one knows yet.”

Said student Trey Schneider, “I think Coach Mac deserves a million more chances. He deserves that job more than anybody in the world and I wish we could have him back.”

Outside in the night air, parent Press Cox told Trustee Jim Tarpley, “It’s like they’re shielding something and I’m not against everything they do but they need to let the public know what’s going on. I asked for a copy of the organizational chart but I was told it was private.”

Other business

Trustees recognized the BHS Lady Warriors volleyball team and the BHS twirlers for their accomplishments.

Trustees entered their closed session at 6:40 p.m. and reconvened at 8:22 p.m.

They voted to change polling locations to the Fannin County Courthouse. They entered an agreement with former assistant BHS principal Michael Seabolt, who was put on leave with pay earlier this year, without stating whether any payment amount to Seabolt is involved in his leaving. They approved Janet Webber as an interim campus administrator and tabled action on a revised organizational chart.

All trustees but Charlotte Kearney were present. Athletic Director Ronnie Hill was not present at the meeting.

3afan
11-29-2006, 09:37 AM
Sep. 1, 2006 COMMERCE L 14-26
Sep. 8, 2006 AT SANGER L 7-41
Sep. 15, 2006 CARROLLTON RANCHVIEW W 34-10
Sep. 29, 2006 PILOT POINT L 21-25
Oct. 6, 2006 AT WHITESBORO L 0-48
Oct. 13, 2006 AT VAN ALSTYNE L 21-28
Oct. 20, 2006 PRINCETON L 20-58
Oct. 27, 2006 AT CELINA L 0-58
Nov. 3, 2006 FRISCO WAKELAND W 33-27
Nov. 10, 2006 AT PROSPER L 33-63

STANG RED
11-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
Sep. 1, 2006 COMMERCE L 14-26
Sep. 8, 2006 AT SANGER L 7-41
Sep. 15, 2006 CARROLLTON RANCHVIEW W 34-10
Sep. 29, 2006 PILOT POINT L 21-25
Oct. 6, 2006 AT WHITESBORO L 0-48
Oct. 13, 2006 AT VAN ALSTYNE L 21-28
Oct. 20, 2006 PRINCETON L 20-58
Oct. 27, 2006 AT CELINA L 0-58
Nov. 3, 2006 FRISCO WAKELAND W 33-27
Nov. 10, 2006 AT PROSPER L 33-63

Right or wrong, all HCs know they will be judged by the Ws & Ls at the end of nearly every season, and especially at the end of a loseing one. It's just the nature of the beast, and you better not make your living in that profession without fully understanding that.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-29-2006, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Right or wrong, all HCs know they will be judged by the Ws & Ls at the end of nearly every season, and especially at the end of a loseing one. It's just the nature of the beast, and you better not make your living in that profession without fully understanding that.

It's hard to find a coach that the kids and parents will rally around even in a season of defeat, and if they do, then that shows bounds about his character and their faith in the coach. I say this is a bad move. Rockdale went 2-8 last year, and I think this is the best group of coaches to go through Rockdale in over a decade....

coiled2strike
11-29-2006, 12:21 PM
I find it odd that the A.D was not in attendance

coiled2strike
11-29-2006, 12:22 PM
I know that if I were to be at a board meeting, my A.D. would be there...either right behind me or right across from me...either way, he would be there

dogdad
11-29-2006, 01:05 PM
1. the HC and the AD butted heads
2. the folks that did not have a problem with this decision did not speak in the open forum, so don't get the idea that some folks speak for the whole community

KTJ
11-29-2006, 02:37 PM
I find it odd that Bonham has both a head football coach and an AD.

coiled2strike
11-29-2006, 02:41 PM
I think that is a new trend that is trickling down from the larger schools...I would really like the idea of not having the hassle of the A.D. responsibilities and still being the head coach...BUT, it would take a special relationship/understanding between the AD and the HC...

STANG RED
11-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by dogdad
1. the HC and the AD butted heads
2. the folks that did not have a problem with this decision did not speak in the open forum, so don't get the idea that some folks speak for the whole community

No doubt, theres much more to this story than what was in the article. It would be interesting to hear the other side.

coiled2strike
11-29-2006, 02:49 PM
ALMOST sounds like a "non-football" issue with all of the references to "rumors"...very interesting situation...