PDA

View Full Version : Article on Port Isabel

luvhoops34
11-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Ride is Over
Port Isabel’s season ends on sour note, but not without the district title

BY CHRIS COBB
The Brownsville Herald

November 26, 2006 — The Port Isabel Tarpons may have ended their season with a dramatic and disappointing loss to Orange Grove, but they also ended it without a chip on their shoulder.

The Tarpons were somewhat maligned to open the season, losing key seniors from a 2005 bi-district championship team. There was speculation that this year’s graduating class might not be able to live up to the lofty expectations across the bridge from South Padre Island.

Those notions were only made worse after a 49-7 blowout loss to Edcouch-Elsa to open the season. Af-ter a 42-34 defeat to Raymondville the following week, there was concern that PI might not even make the playoffs in a competitive District 32-3A with strong returning teams like Rio Hondo, Hidalgo and La Feria.

“Everybody doubted the whole team,” running back Ralph Valdez said. “They didn’t think we would do anything.”

Rather than cashing it in, the Tarpons began to play inspired football and made believers out of the rest of the district and the rest of the Rio Grande Valley.

They reeled off seven straight wins, mowing down Hidalgo and La Feria to wrap up a playoff spot. They then took care of Rio Hondo to capture an unexpected 32-3A crown and make it eight in a row.

“It just feels good shutting everybody up,” Valdez said. “Getting up here (to the playoffs) was what we wanted to do.”

The defense, which had been so poor to open the year, had turned into one of PI’s biggest strengths. The Tarpons never gave more than 19 points after allowing over 40 in the first two games of the year. So having turned around the season, PI embarked on their 2006 playoff run.

The Tarpons again captured the bi-district championship with a win over Lyford, setting the table for Friday’s match-up against 10-1 Orange Grove.

After being outplayed most of the first half, the Tarpons fought back to make it 12-7.

Following a well-played second half, it came down to the wire. With 17 seconds left on the nine-yard line, the Tarpons took a sack. But while there wasn’t enough time left to win the game, there will be plenty of it left to remember a season in which they silenced their critics.

“They had a great season,” PI coach Monty Stumbaugh said. “I’m very proud of our seniors, they did a great job. They’ve been unbelievable. Hopefully these young kids can take it from them and carry on.”

ccobb@brownsvilleherald.com

footballgal
11-29-2006, 02:18 PM
I hadn't seen this article thanks! But did you have to remind me that our season is over? :(

gobblerfan02
11-29-2006, 02:47 PM
That is a good article, I have always like Coach Stumbaugh, he did many good things when he was in Cuero, and his wife is an excellent teacher and person as well! Im glad to be hearing good things both about them and PI!

footballgal
12-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Yeah I hear the kids love all of the Stumbaughs, including Justin.

luvhoops34
12-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
I hadn't seen this article thanks! But did you have to remind me that our season is over? :(

I'm sorry! It's a nice article about PI!