PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about the Texas Rangers Offseason Strategy

Adidas410s
11-28-2006, 11:17 AM
So we have seen the following offseason transactions that involved either current Rangers or players who expressed interest in playing in Arlington:

- Dave Robers to the Giants (expected today or tmrw)
- Frank Thomas to the Blue Jays
- Adam Eaton to the Phillies
- Gary Matthews Jr to the Angels
- Mark DeRosa to the Cubs
- Rod Barajas to the Blue Jays (expected today or tmrw)
- Vicente Padilla to somebody else (he's asking $10 mil/yr...he's not worth it)
- Barry Zito to somebody else (Cubs and Mets now the frontrunners)

It looks like the Rangers will be losing 3 everyday players and 2 starting pitchers this offseason while not bringing in anybody significant...expect for possibly J.D. Drew and that will come with a big price tag.

My analysis
I know this might sound far fetched but it appears to me as if the Rangers are already scrapping the 2007 in hopes of having a contending team in the 2008 season. Both Vernon Wells (an Arlington native) and Torii Hunter (has an off-season home in The Colony) have said they wanted to come play for Ron Washington in Texas and both will be free agents at the end of next season. Also, other than Barry Zito and the Rangers failed attempt (they bid about $30-35 mil) to pick up Matsuzka, there really isnt a lot of quality pitching to be had this year. Also, I think Jon Daniels is taking notice of how the Tigers handled their young pitchers. They threw Bonderman, Maroth, and Robinson into the fire 2 years ago and had one of the worst teams in the history of baseball. Three years later, they were part of the pitching rotation that lead the Tigers to the World Series. The Rangers have 3 similar pitchers in John Danks, Edison Volquez, and Thomas Diamond (DVD if you will). This makes me think that the Rangers just might throw those guys to the Wolves next season and let them take their lumps now and then in 2008 bring in Hunter and Wells and hopefully pick up an some other supporting cast members and see if they can make a run at the AL West.

Am I crazy here???

vet93
11-28-2006, 12:06 PM
I don't disagree with your analysis....I am just tired of the Rangers fielding a .500 team and then doing NOTHING in the offseason that significantly improves pitching and going to the next .500 season...I would feel better if they at least tried sometime....I also always hate the idea of tanking a year so that the next year will be great...even if it is the best decision...just call me frustrated....

rholl
11-28-2006, 12:13 PM
If they purposely tank a yr. Hicks better not get on his soapbox and talk about ticket sales reflecting the teams payroll. If you knowingly put a subpar product on the field, don't expect to fillup the stadium. On your plan. Hunter and Wells play same position. I'd like to see Schmidt pitching this yr. with Millwood as the #2. Seems Tex is likely to be traded before he goes to highest bidder first chance he gets. Maybe he brings in a solid # 3 and a top pitching prospect....Tejada and Volquez make the 5 Give Danks and Diamond another yr.

Txbroadcaster
11-28-2006, 12:18 PM
So what do all of you want them to do? Overpay for the likes of Matthews who so far has had ONE good year in his whole career and is 32?

Or overpay for Frank Thomas who is reaching the point in his career that his production could drop off instantly?

This year's Free Agent pool is very shallow, yet the Soriano deal sparked off a players market and caused all other contracts to inflate.

I would rather sit back a year than overspend on talent not worth the dollar

eagles_victory
11-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
So we have seen the following offseason transactions that involved either current Rangers or players who expressed interest in playing in Arlington:

It looks like the Rangers will be losing 3 everyday players and 2 starting pitchers this offseason while not bringing in anybody significant...expect for possibly J.D. Drew and that will come with a big price tag.

My analysis
I know this might sound far fetched but it appears to me as if the Rangers are already scrapping the 2007 in hopes of having a contending team in the 2008 season. Both Vernon Wells (an Arlington native) and Torii Hunter (has an off-season home in The Colony) have said they wanted to come play for Ron Washington in Texas and both will be free agents at the end of next season. Also, other than Barry Zito and the Rangers failed attempt (they bid about $30-35 mil) to pick up Matsuzka, there really isnt a lot of quality pitching to be had this year. Also, I think Jon Daniels is taking notice of how the Tigers handled their young pitchers. They threw Bonderman, Maroth, and Robinson into the fire 2 years ago and had one of the worst teams in the history of baseball. Three years later, they were part of the pitching rotation that lead the Tigers to the World Series. The Rangers have 3 similar pitchers in John Danks, Edison Volquez, and Dustin Diamond (DVD if you will). This makes me think that the Rangers just might throw those guys to the Wolves next season and let them take their lumps now and then in 2008 bring in Hunter and Wells and hopefully pick up an some other supporting cast members and see if they can make a run at the AL West.

Am I crazy here??? it wouldnt make sense to get Wells and Hunter both being centerfielders and those arent guys who will just completely turn your team around

However i dont blame the Rangers for letting Matthews and Derosa go the price was to high for them and same with Barajas. I dont think any of those 3 will live up to those big contracts.

I think they should do what you said about the young pitchers. But its Thomas Diamond Dustin Diamond was on saved by the bell

Adidas410s
11-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
But its Thomas Diamond Dustin Diamond was on saved by the bell

haha...I didn't even catch that I wrote that. :doh:

I agree that the other guys are overpaid relative to what they are worth. I think that Padilla asking for $10mil/yr is more absurd than any what any of the other guys are wanting. As far as brining in both Hunter and Wells, I don't think it would be too hard to shift either of them (especially Wells) to a corner outfield position.

GreenMonster
11-28-2006, 12:47 PM
The thing that burns my rear end is what was the point of all the trades they pulled off last year? Try to get something for Soriano before they can't afford him anymore. That has been a flop so far. They send Chris Young to the Padres for Eaton that spent most of the year hurt and now he's gone. Another bad deal. They made the trade to get Padilla, which was actually a pretty good trade, but now they aren't willing to re-sign him. The deal with Milwaukee to get Carlos Lee? He's already wearing an Astros uni. True though the Rangers still have that top prospect that the Brewers let go of but Texas sent a ton of talent to Milwaukee effectively for A single prospect??? ***? Re-sign Tex now. Pay him whatever he wants. He's worth it. Lock up Michael Young and the second baseman too. Get Wilkerson healthy and I think we have a solid leftfielder. Get rid of Blaylock. Trade away his 1000 K's with 22HRs .265 BA and 65 RBI's. Find some pitchers. Fireballers and Sinkerballers are a good fit for The Ballpark which is a freakin launching pad. Realize that anyone can hit HR's in Texas so stop overpaying for losers that will have a .250 BA but hit 35HR's. Pitching and defense win championships when paired with timely hitting. Keep developing your young talent.

big daddy russ
11-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
So what do all of you want them to do? Overpay for the likes of Matthews who so far has had ONE good year in his whole career and is 32?

Or overpay for Frank Thomas who is reaching the point in his career that his production could drop off instantly?

This year's Free Agent pool is very shallow, yet the Soriano deal sparked off a players market and caused all other contracts to inflate.

I would rather sit back a year than overspend on talent not worth the dollar
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by eagles_victory
it wouldnt make sense to get Wells and Hunter both being centerfielders and those arent guys who will just completely turn your team around...
Wells wasn't always a CF. He's played in right a few years.

If the Rangers could get both Wells and Hunter, that would be an amazing defense. Arlington's a hitter's park, but those two guys could negate that short field. It would help out a lot.

On that note, I'm hoping and praying that Wells stays in Toronto.

coach
11-28-2006, 03:53 PM
im upset with the lack of moves the rangers have tried......hopefully we can get zito and i agree that padilla isnt worth it.....i would like for the rangers to sghn barry bonds too

g$$
11-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

My analysis
I know this might sound far fetched but it appears to me as if the Rangers are already scrapping the 2007 in hopes of having a contending team in the 2008 season. Both Vernon Wells (an Arlington native) and Torii Hunter (has an off-season home in The Colony) have said they wanted to come play for Ron Washington in Texas and both will be free agents at the end of next season. Also, other than Barry Zito and the Rangers failed attempt (they bid about $30-35 mil) to pick up Matsuzka, there really isnt a lot of quality pitching to be had this year. Also, I think Jon Daniels is taking notice of how the Tigers handled their young pitchers. They threw Bonderman, Maroth, and Robinson into the fire 2 years ago and had one of the worst teams in the history of baseball. Three years later, they were part of the pitching rotation that lead the Tigers to the World Series. The Rangers have 3 similar pitchers in John Danks, Edison Volquez, and Thomas Diamond (DVD if you will). This makes me think that the Rangers just might throw those guys to the Wolves next season and let them take their lumps now and then in 2008 bring in Hunter and Wells and hopefully pick up an some other supporting cast members and see if they can make a run at the AL West.

Am I crazy here???

Excellent analysis IMO. I think the Rangers' problem for years has been a lack of consistent pitching. They have always had the sticks. Maybe the new regime will take a different path.

You win in baseball with pitching & defense, even in the AL. That age old axiom usually holds true. Pitching does not have as many slumps. I think DVD is the way to go & add the pieces around them as you go. I have always liked Vernon Wells (from Red Oak & still lives in the Arlington area).

See what happens...

Macarthur
11-28-2006, 05:12 PM
It's a real chicken and the egg situation. While I agree the price was way too high for Mathews & DeRosa, I'm not so sure on the pitching.

The market is what it is. Quite frankly, I'm getting a little tired of the "market is too rich for us" argument. Texas is a top 5 market and should spend accordingly. Pitching is not cheap. I think they should pony up and make a serious run at Zito. I would have liked Wolf (a poor man's Zito, and actually might be a better match at The Ballpark), but looks like he is gone. Zito, Millwood and the youngsters could make a decent rotation and could possibly be building to 2008 without looking like you're giving up on this season.

I just get tired of hearing the cost argument out of Arlington. I realize you can't go nuts, but every year they say we have to get better pitching, but they're not willing to pay the price for it. Pitching costs money and even the teams that have developed young pitching still have to mix in a quality veteran or two into the mix. The hip thing for GM's right now is to point to the Oakland's & Detroit's of the world that have developed young pitching, but that takes time. The Rangers are going to have to have blend of the small market models and the Yankee/Red Sox model.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Matthews, DeRosa and Barajas it was ok to let go if they didnt go for what Rangers offered. dont see them coming close to what they did last year. Carlos Lee was a joke in the outfield, if he only played DH then be ok to try and resign but now hes a Astros problem.
Padilla is a 15-16 game winner and 10+ losses cause hes not always zone in to pitch. So i think hes good for one more year or just hold on to him and trade him later in the year if the rangers are out of it again. Barry Zito will come to Texas if he thinks its worth it if Rangers have a chance to help his ex coach.

Every year the rangers make moves that backfire and when they trade for somebody late it dont work out. So this year i think they should do nothing and let the younger players play and maybe groom them for next year. its not like they are favored to make the playoffs this coming season anyways.

OH one thing GO Rangers win back the Silver Boot!!!!!