PDA

View Full Version : This Week in West Texas!

vet93
10-06-2002, 10:43 AM
There are some interesting matchups in west texas this week. There are not alot of Marquee games, but many of these games will go a long way in deciding playoff spots later in the season. Snyder vs. Sweetwater at the beginning of the season looked like the championship game for district 3. Snyder has slumped so far this year which has taken some of the edge off of the game but they are not toothless. If Sweetwater takes this game seriously and plays like the last two games, then they should take this game by at least two touchdowns. Greenwood (west texas best so far) takes on Monahans and should take this game easily, however Monahans is no dog and will have a good shot at the playoffs. They have been playing much better than last year. Ballinger vs. Brady is the first of two games which will likely decide the #1 small school representative from district 6. The other game is next week with Ballinger taking on clyde. Brady hates Ballinger and always has. They will be sky high for this game. If Ballinger takes this game lightly they will get beat. If they play to their potential they should beat Brady. Wylie vs. Clyde is an easy pick. Go with the Bulldogs in this one!!! In all seriousness, Clyde has come a long way but does not have the fire power to hang with Wylie. I still think that Clyde has an excellent opportunity to make the playoffs this year if they can beat Brady or upset Ballinger. Denver City vs. Lamesa is an interesting game in that it will tell us if Lamesa is a legit playoff team this year. If DC beats the tors, I don't look for them to return to the playoffs. The final two games are potentially the most interesting because they could decide a playoff berth. Merkel vs. Seminole's winner could will have a good shot at sewing up the #2 small school in district 3. Merkel is a surprise to alot of people except for those who played them last year. Seminole has played much better than many expected. Iowa Park vs. Breckenridge is another game just like Seminole vs Merkel. The winner could have the inside trac to the playoffs. Iowa Park has been playing better except for a sound defeat by New Boston. Breck has upset Ballinger and played merkel into an overtime game (they lost). This could be a dandy game.

Picks:
Sweetwater over Snyder
Greenwood over Monahans
Ballinger over Brady
Wylie over Clyde
Lamesa over Denver City
Merkel over Seminole
Breckenridge over Iowa Park

What are your thoughts?

tors2002
10-06-2002, 11:41 AM
vet93:

Picks:
Sweetwater over Snyder
Greenwood over Monahans
Ballinger over Brady
Wylie over Clyde
Lamesa over Denver City
Merkel over Seminole

Very good summary. I have to agree with most of them.

Sweetwater over Snyder
Greenwood over Monahans
Ballinger over Brady
Wylie over Clyde
Lamesa over Denver City
Seminole over Merkel
Breckenridge/ Iowa Park (have no idea on either team this year)

I think Lamesa will rebound just fine. Turnovers and constant running the ball has hurt them.

wildstangs
10-06-2002, 01:33 PM
Whats up Vet?!? Looks good to me, I will copy and paste yours and we will be ready to roll.

Sweetwater over Snyder
Greenwood over Monahans
Ballinger over Brady
Wylie over Clyde
Lamesa over Denver City
Merkel over Seminole

Wtx_coach
10-06-2002, 05:41 PM
Hey those are going to be some intresting games this week, cant wait, another intresting game this week will be Pecos vs.Kermit I know both teams are struggling real bad, but the intresting thing about tis match up is with Presidio canceling the winner of this game will be 2-0 already after friday, and all that means is the winner of this game just has to beat monahans or ft.stockton and they are in the playoffs, man must be nice, and if you notice i didnt mention greenwood becasue no one in the district will give them a ball game.

vet93
10-06-2002, 07:52 PM
I think that the Eagles will take the Yellowjackets. It should be a good game though. Pecos needs to get their confidence back. If they win this game, I think that they will win either against ft. stockton or Monahans to make the playoffs. I am still sticking with Greenwood, Pecos and Monahans as my 3 picks from preseason.

Wtx_coach:
Hey those are going to be some intresting games this week, cant wait, another intresting game this week will be Pecos vs.Kermit I know both teams are struggling real bad, but the intresting thing about tis match up is with Presidio canceling the winner of this game will be 2-0 already after friday, and all that means is the winner of this game just has to beat monahans or ft.stockton and they are in the playoffs, man must be nice, and if you notice i didnt mention greenwood becasue no one in the district will give them a ball game.

Wtx_coach
10-06-2002, 07:56 PM
Hey vet, that what im thinkin if Pecos wins I think they will get some confidence ans make the playoffs just like you said by beating monahans or ft. stockton.

tors2002
10-06-2002, 10:18 PM
Not dogging Greenwood but they had to be smiling ear to ear when the new district was announced. There will be no competition for them in district. Glad they played a pretty darn hard pre-district schedule. If they had any injuries then it will give them 4 or 5 weeks to get healed up. Hope the soft district don't hurt them but I doubt it. Sounds like they have a really strong team this year.

Wtx_coach
10-06-2002, 10:24 PM
tors2002:
Not dogging Greenwood but they had to be smiling ear to ear when the new district was announced. There will be no competition for them in district. Glad they played a pretty darn hard pre-district schedule. If they had any injuries then it will give them 4 or 5 weeks to get healed up. Hope the soft district don't hurt them but I doubt it. Sounds like they have a really strong team this year.Hey Tors, I know the district is weak right now, but whoever makes the playoffs for 4-3A will have a shot at beating any team in your district, beleive me greenwood wont have that easy of a cake walk through district, they will have to play every friday or else they will get beat.

tors2002
10-06-2002, 11:29 PM
I know Greenwood could beat any team in 3-3A on any given night and vice versa. There is no way that you can honestly say that Greenwood is going to have a tough district. The last time a team out of that district got out of the 1st round is Monahans over Lamesa in 1998. I may be mistaken but that is the last time that I remember off the top of my head. It was the 1st time Lamesa made the playoffs in many years. So I am still sticking with Greenwood to roll through district and have plenty of healthy players while doing so. I mean come on they even get a bye week in district due to the Presidio situation. 4-3A is by the weakest or should I say most non-competitive district schedule in 3A.