PDA

View Full Version : Astros sign Carlos Lee to 6-year deal

stxfootballfan
11-27-2006, 06:57 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AtaZywEeLC3P8N0iI5KeuaYRvLYF?slug=ap-astros-signings&prov=ap&type=lgns

Bull19
11-27-2006, 07:00 PM
IM NOT SURE IF THIS WAS A GOOD MOVE FOR THE STROS. A VERY HIT AND MISS HITTER. IMO HIS OFFENSIVE PRODUCTION WONT HAVE MUCH IMPACT ON THE TEAM. HE CAN HIT IT DEEP, BUT THAT BASICALLY ALL. NOT MANY LINE DRIVES AND A WHOLE LOTTA K'S. AND A SLOW OUTFIELDER.

g$$
11-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
IM NOT SURE IF THIS WAS A GOOD MOVE FOR THE STROS. A VERY HIT AND MISS HITTER. IMO HIS OFFENSIVE PRODUCTION WONT HAVE MUCH IMPACT ON THE TEAM. HE CAN HIT IT DEEP, BUT THAT BASICALLY ALL. NOT MANY LINE DRIVES AND A WHOLE LOTTA K'S. AND A SLOW OUTFIELDER.

Bull19, you could not be any more wrong. Lee does not K much, only 91 times last year, which is very low for a power hitter. Soriano Ks much more. Lee does hit into some DPs.

Lee is a career .286 hitter & adequate OF. Runs pretty well for a big guy too. He will hit & help that anemic offense for sure. Woody Williams is a quality 3rd/4th starter too.

Have other holes to fill & decisions on Ensberg/Huff. Need a catcher to help Ausmus too. Pettitte & Clemens have to decide soon too. It shapes up to be a good team next year if they can stay healthy.

Bull19
11-27-2006, 07:17 PM
MY BAD ABOUT THE K COMMENT. STILL THOUGH ID RATHER SEE MORE OF A CONSISTENT LINE DRIVE HITTER THAN A HOME RUN THREAT. I FORSEE ANOTHER PRESTON WILSON LOOK-ALIKE

g$$
11-27-2006, 07:21 PM
I disagree respectfully. Lee is a much better hitter than PW. I never liked the signing of Wilson. Glad to see him go, even though he got a ring.

Lee can hit, period. The only question on him is his weight & conditioning. Lots of doubles, HRs, can steal a bag surprisingly, decent OF (not great). Good line drive hitter too. I like the signing but we did overpay in today's market. Price of doing business.

Plus he will help Berkman by providing protection in the order.

I've liked Lee since his White Sox days. Big man can rake.

Berkman #3, Lee #4, then Luke Scott or Ensberg, etc. Much better already in my book.

Free agent market was thin on hitters. I still think Astros have a trade in the works involving a few players (maybe Taveras, Burke, etc.).

eagles_victory
11-27-2006, 08:05 PM
Lee is slow as Christmas in the field. If you watched him play any outfield for the Rangers he never got to any balls hes a terrible defensive outfielder.

People think hes fast bc he has good stolen base numbers. Thats because hes good at getting jumps of pitchers and is a solid base runner but if you watch him play outfield he is not fast.

He is more of a linedrive hitter then a power hitter but he does get his share of homeruns. Hes a guy that doesnt strike out a whole lot will probley hit 315 with 35 homers and about 120 RBI's isnt too bad but is it worth 100 million we will see.

Berkman will still be there best offensive player by far.

g$$
11-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Lee is slow as Christmas in the field. If you watched him play any outfield for the Rangers he never got to any balls hes a terrible defensive outfielder.

People think hes fast bc he has good stolen base numbers. Thats because hes good at getting jumps of pitchers and is a solid base runner but if you watch him play outfield he is not fast.

He is more of a linedrive hitter then a power hitter but he does get his share of homeruns. Hes a guy that doesnt strike out a whole lot will probley hit 315 with 35 homers and about 120 RBI's isnt too bad but is it worth 100 million we will see.

I never implied he was fast, just adequate in the OF. Lee is paid to hit & he will help Houston.

No doubt, Berkman is the club's best offensive player & one of the top 10 hitters in all of baseball. Lee can help provide protection for him.

sahen
11-27-2006, 09:10 PM
if you put carlos in left field at minute maid he doesnt have to cover very much ground...granted big darryl ward was still too slow to cover that ground it shouldnt be much of a problem for carlos as long as we keep a fast centerfielder out there....

bandera7
11-27-2006, 09:11 PM
Overpaid...just not good enough for that kind of money.

sahen
11-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
Overpaid...just not good enough for that kind of money. very true, however soriano set the market this year and as ridiculous as it is we had to pay that much to get him....if we want to compete then we have to pay ridiculous amounts of money for talent like that, if we dont then we will end up like the rangers....players come there, get good and then leave, or they just pick them up as free agents and lose them at the end of the year....in order to win u have to spend, just look at the amount of money the last couple world series champs have paid, baseball is about buying hte championships now not developing the talent and team anymore (except for the occasional florida marlin teams, but look at what happens to their teams right after they win the world series every time but they do have a ridiculous knack for developing and finding talent)...

g$$
11-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Overpaid? Today's market & price of doing business in today's MLB. Sad but true. Still like teams that can draft & develop their own talent for the most part. And the Astros do that for the most part.

The Yankees & Red Sox just buy talent.

Pmoney
11-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Need a catcher to help Ausmus too.
IMO Eric Munson is an average catcher too bad he is not on the roster anymore

Pmoney
11-27-2006, 10:00 PM

g$$
11-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Hector Gimenez is on the way. Maybe Benjie Molina for a year too until Gimenez is ready.

I think Gimenez starts the year in Houston & Ausmus is rested more. Have to get more pop out of this position. Status quo is not good enough offensively.

GWOOD
11-27-2006, 10:58 PM
I like the move a lot.

3-4-5

Berkman-Lee-Ensberg?

SWMustang
11-27-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
I like the move a lot.

3-4-5

Berkman-Lee-Ensberg?

I'm done with Ensberg. I know lamb isn't the defensive 3rd basemen ensberg is but I'd rather see him at third than ensberg. I can't handle watching all those called 3rd strikes and pop ups with RISP and less than 2 outs.

GWOOD
11-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I'm done with Ensberg. I know lamb isn't the defensive 3rd basemen ensberg is but I'd rather see him at third than ensberg. I can't handle watching all those called 3rd strikes and pop ups with RISP and less than 2 outs.

Played hurt nearly all year long. Still got 23 home runs in only 387 AB. His .235 avg in '06 doesn't compare to .283, .275, and .291 the previous years.

Let's see what happens next year.

JR2004
11-28-2006, 01:31 AM
Well there's a 100 million dollars the Stros will regret spending down the line. What a ridiculous contract to give to a guy who isn't a top tier OF. It's not quite as the truckloads of cash the Cubs gave to Soriano, but it's close. I sure am glad I'm an A's fan. We may not have the money to spend like other teams do, but even if we did Billy Beane wouldn't go insane and waste money like this.

necks_c/09
11-28-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory

any body who hits .315 w/ 35 bombs is a very good batter.

everybody is complaining about his defense but thats not what the astros need. they turned the most Dp out of any team.

their offense was next to last so this was a huge signing.

compared to ausmus lane and ensberg who would u rather have.......all of them bat sub .240........although ensberg did have 21 HR........18 of em were in the first month and a half of the season.

so wat did he do the rest of the season????

necks_c/09
11-28-2006, 09:27 AM
I like the move a lot.

3-4-5

Berkman-Lee-Ensberg?

why do u like ensberg????

he had one good year....other than that he is a below average hitter.

last year he batted .235 w/ 21 HR (3 coming in the last 4 months of the season)

70 RBI's????? maybe not that many

at one point he was doiing so badly that put him in AAA instead of MLB.....

what does that say about him???

necks_c/09
11-28-2006, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Hector Gimenez is on the way. Maybe Benjie Molina for a year too until Gimenez is ready.

I think Gimenez starts the year in Houston & Ausmus is rested more. Have to get more pop out of this position. Status quo is not good enough offensively.

you are correct......Gimenez batted very well for the astros about the last 2 or 3 weeks of the season.

what did his average end up like??

.340 ish.......IDK but i do know he batted much better than ausmus.

necks_c/09
11-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Played hurt nearly all year long. Still got 23 home runs in only 387 AB. His .235 avg in '06 doesn't compare to .283, .275, and .291 the previous years.

Let's see what happens next year.

played hurt.....my (insert bad word here)

what are you raving about .275 for....that is sub-par.

and he had no power #'s the previous seasons.

He is below average.

necks_c/09
11-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by sahen
if you put carlos in left field at minute maid he doesnt have to cover very much ground...granted big darryl ward was still too slow to cover that ground it shouldnt be much of a problem for carlos as long as we keep a fast centerfielder out there....

exactly what i was thinking.

and why not keep taveras....he is extremly fast and he is a great outfielder.

so they got it made.:cool:

JasperDog94
11-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by g$$
I disagree respectfully. Lee is a much better hitter than PW. I never liked the signing of Wilson. Glad to see him go, even though he got a ring.

Lee can hit, period. The only question on him is his weight & conditioning. Lots of doubles, HRs, can steal a bag surprisingly, decent OF (not great). Good line drive hitter too. I like the signing but we did overpay in today's market. Price of doing business.

Plus he will help Berkman by providing protection in the order.

I've liked Lee since his White Sox days. Big man can rake.

Berkman #3, Lee #4, then Luke Scott or Ensberg, etc. Much better already in my book.

Free agent market was thin on hitters. I still think Astros have a trade in the works involving a few players (maybe Taveras, Burke, etc.). Hey G$$! Guess what? We agree on something!:D

Given the current market, I don't think we overpaid. Not if this convinces Clemens and Pettitte to come back.

Would you rather have not paid Lee this money and lost Clemens and Pettitte or take a chance on Lee and show Clemens and Pettitte that we're serious about upgrading the offense?

Oh, to have Backe back this year.:(

sahen
11-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by necks_c/09
you are correct......Gimenez batted very well for the astros about the last 2 or 3 weeks of the season.

what did his average end up like??

.340 ish.......IDK but i do know he batted much better than ausmus.
most guys that come up the end of the year can bat well, a lot of pitchers dont have much of a scouting report on a guy so they dont know his weaknesses yet...its the ones that can adjust once they find their weaknesses that are keepers....
anyway, granted just about 95% of the league can bat better than ausmus not many can call and play defensively like him, Gimenez could be the catcher of the future but we cant really see anything in that .340 average esp. for only 2-3 weeks....i think Ausmus was in the top 5 of the league in batting average after the first month or so last season (now think about how bad he hit after that to drop to where he ended up, ouch)

and about ensberg, i think it woudl be best to keep him this offseason and let him start the year (as long as his spring training is decent)...if he keeps around a .280 average and decent power numbers then keep him out there, if not then its time to move on...i just dont think ensberg was as bad as he ended last year yet he needs to be a little better than his first couple seasons, somewhere inbetween his torrid start to last year and his first couple seasons would fit nicely...we really cant unload him to another team after his crappy year last year so we might as well see if he can figure out what was wrong last year in the offseason...

Bull19
11-28-2006, 01:05 PM
3-4-5 BERKMAN, LEE, SCOTT

Bull's-eye
11-28-2006, 01:30 PM

Looks good to me, you could even move Scott up to the third spot. I guess it depends on the final roster or any other trades.

g$$
11-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Gimenez is the future catcher, but Ausmus still has value esp. defensively. He did just win another Gold Glove.

I hate to give up on Ensberg, but I would in the right deal for sure. He is so up & down, maybe too analytical too. Mike Lamb can flat hit but you give up a lot defensively.

Lee can hit, but you need a speedy CF playing next to him. Keep Taveras please, plus I like his upside.

If Clemens & Pettitte do come back, this team is scary. Oswalt, Clemens, Pettitte, Woody Williams, & Hirsh/Buchholz/Gutierrez(?).

Troy Patton is a stud LHP from Tomball on the way too. I hope we don't include him in any deal.

Lidge is a head case. I would move him if possible & strengthen the pen. Lidge still has value.

Lane is worthless, can't handle anything middle away. I would trade him for a bag of baseballs.

As of today:
1. Taveras CF
2. Scott RF (LH hitter opens hole for Berkman & will see more fastballs here in order)
3. Berkman 1B (no brainer & he better hit in coveted 3 hole)
4. Lee LF
5. Ensberg / Lamb 3B (platoon for now lefty, righty)
6. Biggio/Burke 2B (Biggio plays mostly at home, Burke can spot play in OF too)
7. Everett SS (glove is worth it)
8. Ausmus/Gimenez C (Ausmus must be rested more too)
9. Pitcher

**could flip #2 & #6 also if you desire, but I like Scott in 2 hole

Bullpen = Wheeler, Qualls, Lidge (if not traded), Sampson, Miller, etc.
**couple of young arms close to ready on way also

That's a better team than last year already, & I expect a few more changes between now & Spring Training too.

JasperDog94
11-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by g$$
As of today:
1. Taveras CF
2. Scott RF (LH hitter opens hole for Berkman & will see more fastballs here in order)
3. Berkman 1B (no brainer & he better hit in coveted 3 hole)
4. Lee LF
5. Ensberg / Lamb 3B (platoon for now lefty, righty)
6. Biggio/Burke 2B (Biggio plays mostly at home, Burke can spot play in OF too)
7. Everett SS (glove is worth it)
8. Ausmus/Gimenez C (Ausmus must be rested more too)
9. Pitcher

**could flip #2 & #6 also if you desire, but I like Scott in 2 hole

The only thing I'd differ on your analysis (which is pretty darn good btw) is I wouldn't put Scott behind Ensberg in the lineup if you moved Burke/Biggio to the 2 spot. Maybe if Lamb is batting, but not if Ensberg continues this year like he did most of last.

g$$
11-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Agreed. I like a hitter with a good OB% in the 2 hole too. Remember what Beltran did once they moved him here? It goes against convention I know, but it can work better for the whole order. I think Scott would thrive hitting in front of Berkman & Lee.

JasperDog94
11-28-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Agreed. I like a hitter with a good OB% in the 2 hole too. Remember what Beltran did once they moved him here? It goes against convention I know, but it can work better for the whole order. I think Scott would thrive hitting in front of Berkman & Lee.

I think so as well. They would have to pitch to him.

GWOOD
11-28-2006, 02:56 PM

Don't know where you were June through August when he was struggling with his shoulder injury and finally went on the diabled list.

I figure you won't believe it unless you see it so I found an article for you if you care to read it.

Ensberg returning to form (http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060806&content_id=1596014&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou)

Not raving, just pointing out that .235 is uncharacteristic for a guy whose previous low batting average was .275.

You obviously have given up on him. I think he's one of the tough guys like Biggio and Bagwell...will give you a 100% without complaining.

Bull's-eye
11-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Didn't Taveras see some time in the 2 hole? He is such a good bunter that he can move a runner over without sacrificing the out.

g$$
11-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Didn't Taveras see some time in the 2 hole? He is such a good bunter that he can move a runner over without sacrificing the out.

Yes, but then who hits lead-off? Burke or ?? Sure not Biggio at this stage of his career. His OB% is horrid now. Astros lack a true lead-off guy IMO. Taveras to me is best option for now.

Everett could handle the 2 hole & it might even help him by seeing more fastballs too. He is a good bunter too. Everyone would then slide down. I still like Scott in the unconventional 2 hole for him.

But that could change with a trade. Crawford from Tampa Bay? I like that if you don't get fleeced in a trade. Probably not going to happen.

big daddy russ
11-28-2006, 05:03 PM

He is below average.
Since when has .275 been sub par? Par for NL third basemen last year was .274. That would put .275 right at par.

As far as power numbers go, '03 was his first season to get significant PT. His worst year so far has been '04 (yes, worse than last year... that shoulder injury completely sapped his power back in '04), and if you take out '04 and just take his numbers from '03, '05, and '06 he averages a HR every 13.8 ABs. That's up there. Also consider that he's one of those hitters who uses his bat speed to catch up to some balls and that the shoulder injury took away some speed and that explains some of the problems with his batting average.

His defense is solid, he's a grinder, and he's a fantastic power hitter at a bargain price. I don't have a problem in the world with him staying in an Astros uni.

big daddy russ
11-28-2006, 05:11 PM
Oh, and I haven't watched him play since his first year with the Brewers, but Lee's always had good speed. He's big and he tends to lumber, so it doesn't look like he's getting anywhere, but he's extremely fast, especially for a guy his size.

One thing I always trusted when it comes to a players' speed was how many stolen bases he has. During his six healthy years, Lee's logged 13 steals in '00 (versus 4 times caught stealing), 17 in '01 (vs. 7 CS), 18 in '03 (vs. 4 CS), 11 in '04 (vs. 5 CS), 13 in '05 (vs. 4 CS), and 19 last year (vs. only twice CS). Sure, some of that is because he's a smart baserunner, but his coaches wouldn't let him track down 20 bases a year if he was really that slow. Guys like Barry Bonds, Richie Sexton, and Manny Ramirez are slow. Carlos Lee is not.

As far as the Carl Crawford idea, I like it. A line drive hitter who can bring in runs and run down a baseball or a bag. Like whoever it was said, don't pay too much for him, but I thinking making a run at a guy like that would be great.

SWMustang
11-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Since when has .275 been sub par? Par for NL third basemen last year was .274. That would put .275 right at par.

I think it's subpar when you consider the lineup has Ausmus and Everett giving you about a .240 average every year. At some point you have to be concerned about his durability. He stunk it up in the world series (possibly injury related) and no doubt stunk last year. I'm just real frustrated with him right now after last year's perfromance. The'Stros REALLy needed him to step up and he didn't. He was changing his stance to try and find something that would work. I'm not sold that all his troubles last year were injury related. Slumping players have been known to get put on the IR for "ailments." I know the guy tries hard and he's a great character guy.

necks_c/09
11-29-2006, 09:09 AM

thank you!!!!!..........exactly

necks_c/09
11-29-2006, 09:17 AM
the last two years we went to the playoffs did ensberg get even one hit in 5 differnet series????

and one of those years was his "breakout year".

necks_c/09
11-29-2006, 09:22 AM
GWOOD u r right....i have given up on him....he gets his hits every now and then and he gets walked quite a bit too.....but it just seems like every time we need him he never comes through in clutch time........one of the biggest reasons we didnt make the playoffs last year.....(also lane) IMO

we need more people who can hit in the clutch....

GWOOD i have to give you credit though b/c u point out stats i misunderstood.....Thanks......

Maybe we should hang on to him but i say start lamb this year.....if ensberg does ok get the man his Playing time.

Eagles52
11-29-2006, 11:23 AM

He is below average.

Actually two years ago he hit 25 HR's in a platoon situation. That's pretty good power. and .275 is more than adequate if you hit for good power.

Eagles52
11-29-2006, 11:25 AM
the last two years we went to the playoffs did ensberg get even one hit in 5 differnet series????

and one of those years was his "breakout year".
Also, yes, one game in particular against the braves he pretty much won it for us with his offense. But he wasn't near the same hitter after he was pegged in the wrist. He got out of rhythm and wasn't ever able to quite regain his form of most of the season for the playoffs. I sure hope no one argues for Huff over Ensberg. At least, even last year, morgan brought OBP to the plate with him. And he's a good defensive player. Mike Lamb can't hit LHP, so he's not considered that viable of a full time 3rd baseman, not to mention how much it hurts the bench to lose him.

Eagles52
11-29-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
The only thing I'd differ on your analysis (which is pretty darn good btw) is I wouldn't put Scott behind Ensberg in the lineup if you moved Burke/Biggio to the 2 spot. Maybe if Lamb is batting, but not if Ensberg continues this year like he did most of last.
I'd prefer a right handed bat in the number two hole so that they have to burn lefty pitcher on only Berkman late in games. I'd prefer Burke when he plays as the #2 hitter but I've got no problem with great OBP guys like Lamb and Ensberg. But if Morgan returns to form, you'll probably move him down into a more traditional power slot. I'm a big fan of Biggio in an RBI role lower in the order, especially if you can sandwich him in between some guys who are hitting well and get him some more fastballs. You can say what you like about the guy, but he can still hit a fastball (at least at home lol).

Eagles52
11-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Looks good to me, you could even move Scott up to the third spot. I guess it depends on the final roster or any other trades.

No one not named Lance Berkman should bat 3rd in this lineup. I'm not sold on Scott yet, in fact, his stock is so high that I'd be pushing hard to get a good deal for him. But I hope I'm wrong, I just keep seeing Lane's 2005 to 2006 drop off and hope that Luke doesn't do the same thing.

Eagles52
11-29-2006, 11:46 AM
I like the potential of Taveras too, but he so far has been a terrible offensive player. His OPS numbers are just downright horrid (.668 career OPS). His unorthodox "long" swing makes him very vulnerable to any good fastball pitcher, and his lack of power means he is little to no threat. But a few times a year the guy will absolutely CRUSH a pitch and you have to hope that he can be able to become a consistent extra-base hit threat a la Jose Reyes (though he doesn't need the HR's, just use drive balls into the gaps and use his speed). He has to be able to get on base more and have some sort of a power threat or this offense will be much improved, but still probably sub-par. The 7-8-9-1 parts of the lineup don't have a single legit extra-base hit threat. The best one is probably the threat of a double form Everett, ouch.

g$$
11-29-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Eagles52
No one not name Berkman should bat 3rd in this lineup. I'm not sold on Scott yet, in fact, his stock is so high that I'd be pushing hard to get a good deal for him. But I hope I'm wrong, I just keep seeing Lane's 2005 to 2006 drop off and hope that Luke doesn't do the same thing.

Berkman hits in the 3 hole, period. Best hitter, gets up in 1st inning, usually gets 1 more AB per game.

I have no problem with Burke in the 2 hole, although I think #6 in a platoon with Biggio (at home) fits him & the order better. Burke can spot play in the OF too. I still like Luke Scott batting in front of Berkman & Lee to get more fastballs. Pretty good OB% too. Scott is better than Lane. Lane has lost weight but I still hope he is dealt for pitching in a package deal. (or Ensberg 2 hole for OB% & Scott 5th too)

If Morgan Ensberg bounces back, then he is the #5 hitter. Ensberg just has to get right again. He thinks too much & changes his stance sometimes during an at bat.

Right now, the biggest concern is pitching. Pettitte has hinted retirement & Clemens is very iffy as well. If you go to camp with Oswalt & Woody Williams as the top 2 in the rotation, then the Astros are in trouble. Woody is a solid #3 or #4 guy, but we need another front-line starter. Backe is out for year too. More pitching needed ASAP.

Eagles52
11-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Speaking of Williams, am I the only one a little weary of a flyball pitcher in MMP? Doesn't anyone remember Jose Lima?! Williams was a solid pitcher for San Diego which has PETCO Park, and that is probably the most comparable current stadium to the Astrodome. If he gets them to fly out to CF he'll be great, but to the Crawford boxes...I think he'll be much better than Lima, but I'm still a little worried about it. I think in a couple of years that Chris Burke will have a breakout power season. A couple of his HR's this year were absolute monster shots that I had no idea he was capable of. Right now I'd say his skill set matches better with top of the lineup type role, but I think he'd be adequate as a 6-ish hitter. I envision Lane making some kind of a comeback (maybe not so good as second half 2005, but a good bit better than last year) and I see Luke Scott's career issues with LHP to arise and result in a platoon.

g$$
11-29-2006, 12:16 PM
I think Woody will be fine. He is 40 years old & just knows how to pitch. He will make adjustments. In fact, he has the highest winning % among visiting pitchers at MMP, like 9-3 I believe.

He will give up some homers but who doesn't at the Juice Box?

Scott held his won MOST of the time vs. LHP. I am done with Lane. He has never made adjustments to the way teams pitch him, & struggles with anything middle-away.

Burke has some pop, no doubt. I say 2 or 6 in the order, depending on other things. Biggio must not play as much as he has in the past. He wears down every year come July. He can still hit a fastball & thrives at MMP. Platoon with Burke at 2B.

If I had to play tomorrow:
1. Taveras CF
2. Scott RF
3. Berkman 1B
4. Lee LF
5. Ensberg / Lamb 3B (platoon)
6. Biggio / Burke 2B
7. Everett SS
8. Ausmus / Gimenez C
9. Pitcher

**Rumored deal with Rockies for Jason Jennings (Baylor RHP) for Chris Burke. I would do that deal yesterday. Jennings is a good sinkerballer who would flourish IMO at MMP.

SWMustang
11-29-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I think Woody will be fine. He is 40 years old & just knows how to pitch. He will make adjustments. In fact, he has the highest winning % among visiting pitchers at MMP, like 9-3 I believe.

He will give up some homers but who doesn't at the Juice Box?

Scott held his won MOST of the time vs. LHP. I am done with Lane. He has never made adjustments to the way teams pitch him, & struggles with anything middle-away.

Burke has some pop, no doubt. I say 2 or 6 in the order, depending on other things. Biggio must not play as much as he has in the past. He wears down every year come July. He can still hit a fastball & thrives at MMP. Platoon with Burke at 2B.

If I had to play tomorrow:
1. Taveras CF
2. Scott RF
3. Berkman 1B
4. Lee LF
5. Ensberg / Lamb 3B (platoon)
6. Biggio / Burke 2B
7. Everett SS
8. Ausmus / Gimenez C
9. Pitcher

**Rumored deal with Rockies for Jason Jennings (Baylor RHP) for Chris Burke. I would do that deal yesterday. Jennings is a good sinkerballer who would flourish IMO at MMP.

I'd hate to give him up, but you gotta give something to get something.

g$$
11-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Like the saying goes, a good trade is supposed to hurt a little bit!

Burke for Jennings = done deal for me

Jennings could help our staff big-time. Harder to find good pitching than scrappy middle infielders. (& I am a fan of Chris Burke's too & feel he needs to play everyday somewhere)

Eagles52
11-29-2006, 02:35 PM
I'm not so sold on Jennings in a non-humidor environment. Look at his stats before this year. Its possible he has just learned to pitch better, but I'm not sure he is that quality of a pitcher when he leaves Colorado. But if you look at his splits, his ERA was only a little worse away from home than in Coors (3.56 at home compared to 3.97 away). It's just that he's only had this one good season, so I guess we'd just have to trust the Astros scouts if they decide to make a trade like that. I find it hard to believe that they would trade him straight up for Chris Burke, precisely because of what you said, which is that a passable CF (which is how they view Burke) would be easier to find than good pitching. But there have certainly been crazier things happen. I completely understand with giving up on Lane, but he's cheap and a good defensive replacement late (for Luke, because he's horrible at defense) and actually a good pinch hitting power threat against LHP especially. He's been an MVP at every level before this one, so I can't completely give up on him quite yet, though he did look pathetic last year.

Here's a link to some stats on Jennings:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=4840

g$$
11-30-2006, 05:14 AM
I have been in Lane's corner until last year & he has just regressed. I like the guy but I think he needs a change of scenery. You gave some good reasons to keep him, but I would rather move on. Pence is close to ready, Anderson, etc.

Jimerson could be the late inning defensive replacement, & he has some pop too. Ks way too much though to be an everyday player.

Jennings is risky but I think he is a serviceable MLB pitcher. To me, worth the chance. Astros need pitching ASAP unless Clemens & Pettitte come back. But you can never have enough pitching. Ever!

Eagles52
11-30-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by g$$
I have been in Lane's corner until last year & he has just regressed. I like the guy but I think he needs a change of scenery. You gave some good reasons to keep him, but I would rather move on. Pence is close to ready, Anderson, etc.

Jimerson could be the late inning defensive replacement, & he has some pop too. Ks way too much though to be an everyday player.

Jennings is risky but I think he is a serviceable MLB pitcher. To me, worth the chance. Astros need pitching ASAP unless Clemens & Pettitte come back. But you can never have enough pitching. Ever!

I can't argue with someone who has given up on Lane, because that just means that they watched him play last year lol, and that they aren't as optimistic as I can be about it. I don't know that Pence is mature enough, he hasn't had a full year at Triple-A, and he just got a DUI and was kicked off of the Arizona Fall League. I don't know how much of a factor that would be in the Astros thoughts about bringing him up, but...

g$$
11-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Eagles52
I can't argue with someone who has given up on Lane, because that just means that they watched him play last year lol, and that they aren't as optimistic as I can be about it. I don't know that Pence is mature enough, he hasn't had a full year at Triple-A, and he just got a DUI and was kicked off of the Arizona Fall League. I don't know how much of a factor that would be in the Astros thoughts about bringing him up, but...

I know you were kidding but for the record, I have watched Jason Lane since his USC days. I followed him thru the minors too. It is time to cut the cord IMO. He has had every chance to be an everyday player for Houston. Lane was drafted right after I left the Astros working in Baseball Ops & my immediate boss was Tim Purpura back then!

With Pence, let's not forget Mr. Astro Craig Biggio had an alcohol charge while partying with Caminiti early in his career. Biggio turned out ok, maybe it was just a young, dumb mistake. Pence has talent & I like him. I hope he will rebound & possibly help later in the year after starting at AAA.

Now, we need starting pitching ASAP. No way you go to camp with Oswalt, Woody, & kids in the rotation. Need answers from Clemens & Pettitte soon.