PDA

View Full Version : 10 State Champions is uncalled for

KTJ
11-27-2006, 04:39 PM
This is horrible. The UIL will crown 10 State Champions this year. What does this prove? Sure, some Cinderella stories have been made this year (Example: Round Rock High) but crowning 10 state champions? For what? What's the point?

If past situations didn't prove the UIL is being run by a bunch of (insert bad name here) then this definitely does.

If a school gets mad because they can never make the post-season, call Dr. Phil--not the UIL.

Gobbla2001
11-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
This is horrible. The UIL will crown 10 State Champions this year. What does this prove? Sure, some Cinderella stories have been made this year (Example: Round Rock High) but crowning 10 state champions? For what? What's the point?

If past situations didn't prove the UIL is being run by a bunch of (insert bad name here) then this definitely does.

If a school gets mad because they can never make the post-season, call Dr. Phil--not the UIL.

:clap:

kepdawg
11-27-2006, 04:43 PM
I agree! 7 is enough!

Gobbla2001
11-27-2006, 04:43 PM
wait, is 6-man sanctioned by the UIL?

3afan
11-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

ok, but WHATS THE HARM ???

and remember - its the SCHOOLS that dictate what the UIL does - not a but of suits in Austin!!! So call your superintendent !!!

;)

TexasHSFootball
11-27-2006, 05:03 PM
where did you come up with 10? its actually 12 State Champions. :p

Phil C
11-27-2006, 05:05 PM
The only thing is that we will have so many that we will become like California where a state championship does not have too much meaning like it did in the past. Otherwise no harm done I guess. It's all about the money anyway. :)

3afan
11-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
.... It's all about the money anyway. :)

:doh:

Boosty_Hondo
11-27-2006, 05:52 PM
...It's all about the money anyway. :)

that is porbably the most true statment i have heard in awhile ... smart man phil

Pudlugger
11-27-2006, 06:02 PM
The only thing is that we will have so many that we will become like California where a state championship does not have too much meaning like it did in the past. Otherwise no harm done I guess. It's all about the money anyway. :)

Well Phil it is more than being about the money. Look, Texas has what? 19 million people in the state (legally). If we had only 6 or 7 state champions than we are writing off every kid who lives in a town of 1500 or less. Texas, thank God, is still largely a rural state and has numerous communities with fewer than 1500 folks. Remember that much of Texas's population live outside of townships so these county folks count too.
I think it is good that the Texas State Championships represent all these communities. Imagine if you had a son who was part of a great team in a town of 980 people with no chance of ever competing for a State Championship? If we don't include all then we should just go to one.

3afan
11-27-2006, 06:44 PM
take the time to look at the UIL financial statement - its on the UIL web site

Old Tiger
11-27-2006, 06:45 PM
I say add a week to the playoffs and make D1 winner play D2 winner

pirate4state
11-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
I say add a week to the playoffs and make D1 winner play D2 winner that would be AWESOME!!! :clap: :clap:

GreenMonster
11-27-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
take the time to look at the UIL financial statement - its on the UIL web site It's all about the money for the schools involved not for the UIL. How many extra T-shirts will be sold. Extra game programs, additional ticket sales, etc. Not only that but the athletic department can use their play-off appearance to boost their fund-raising etc. It is all about the $$$.

MarginalTalent
11-27-2006, 07:10 PM
It may be about the dollars, but those $$$ go to booster clubs and the schools who use it to benefit student-athletes which is most kids at a small school.

We're a small 3A and the booster club alone gave away 10 $1000 scholarships to kids for college. They also bought new uniforms for Cross Country, Softball, Girls Basketball, Tennis and other sports that don't typically bring in a lot of money at the gate. I will gladly support them by attending some playoff games and buying spirit shirts, etc.

g$$
11-27-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by TexasHSFootball
where did you come up with 10? its actually 12 State Champions. :p

Agreed, but some good does come from it too. Lots more kids & communities get to experience playoff football. And it is about the $$ too.

IMO, the playoffs have been watered down big-time. I like 1 champion from each class like the old days.

mrescape43
11-27-2006, 08:13 PM
At least at the HS level we have a playoff system. If it was like major college football everyone would be trying how to sort out who got to play Gilmer for the mystical championship!

bobcat1
11-27-2006, 08:20 PM
"I just want to know if they are all winners and get a medal and a team picture for participation?" :dispntd: :dispntd:

Pretty soon we won't even keep score anymore. :rolleyes:

sinton66
11-27-2006, 08:35 PM
The UIL gets a percentage take from every single playoff game in the state. The more playoff games there are, the more the UIL makes. Yes, the schools also make considerably more, but they're not the only ones.

It matters not what the UIL does with the money they take, fact is, they DO take it. I assume they think of it as a win-win situation for all involved. If that's the case, apparently watering down the playoff system is a small price to pay.

bandera7
11-27-2006, 09:00 PM
I can see both sides of this story...while putting more champions in there gives a better overall experience to every kid involved in athletics, at the same time you have to wonder why it is becoming so watered down. Bobcat1 said it perfectly, Im sure that everybody is a winner, and should all get a medal...yeah this really resembles what the real world view on things is. While going back might outrage people, atleast lets stop adding more and more teams to the playoffs...instead of doing that, how about we align the districts right this time?

bobcat1
11-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Now how would that make Little Johnny feel if we told him he lost. No no now we musn't ......... Oh Horse Stuff! 1 Champ for each classification and district champs only go to playoffs.

Ranger Mom
11-27-2006, 10:06 PM
I'm gonna play my dumb card here. Since when did all classifications go with two divisions??

Wasn't 1-A and 6-man just in one division not too long ago?

g$$
11-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I'm gonna play my dumb card here. Since when did all classifications go with two divisions??

1st year for anything below the 3A classification having more than 1 division is this year. Stared at 5A, then on down.

Very watered down now IMO. I can see both sides of the argument. Bottom line is UIL makes more $$ on every gate, etc.

Emerson1
11-27-2006, 10:16 PM
HERE'S AN EXAMPLE OF SOME EXPENSES FROM LAST SHOOL YEAR - THIS IS FOR ONE EVENT ONLY:

STATE SPRING MEETS
CX-DEBATE, ACADEMIC AND ONE-ACT PLAY
Revenues:
CX and LD Debate Judges $ 3,140
One-Act Play 56,570
Total Revenue $ 59,710
Expenditures:
Contest Directors/Consultants - CX Debate $ 4,801
Contest Directors/Consultants - Academics 66,215
Contest Consultants - Elementary/Junior High 92
Payroll - CX Debate 5,561
Payroll - Academic 9,317
Payroll - One-Act Play 10,150
Judges - CX Debate 55,040
Judges - Academic 8,951
Judges - One-Act Play 1,060
Awards - CX Debate 850
Awards - Academic 9,540
Awards - One-Act Play 3,260
Programs & Tickets - CX Debate 1,582
Programs & Tickets - Academic 3,146
Programs & Tickets - One-Act Play 3,980
Photographs - Academics 0
Photographs - One-Act Play 1,000
Facility Usage & Clean Up - CX Debate 777
Facility Usage & Clean Up - Academic 10,647
Facility Usage & Clean Up - One-Act Play 10,314
Hospitality - CX Debate 1,890
Hospitality - Academic 5,253
Hospitality - One-Act Play 131
Misc./Equip/Supplies - CX 333
Misc./Equip/Supplies - Academic 4,111
Misc./Equip/supplies - One -Act Play 2,003
UT 2.75% Administrative Charge - CX Debate 1,948
UT 2.75% Administrative Charge - Academics 32,225
UT 2.75% Administrative Charge - One-Act Play 877

Total Expenditures $ 255,054
Net Revenue After Expenditures: (195,344)

IT COST OVER $250K TO PUT THIS EVENT ON ------ AND THEIR GATE RECEIPTS? $0
HOW ARE THESE AND THE DOZENS OF OTHER BASICALLY NON-REVENUE EVENTS PAID FOR? BY MONIES FROM MOSTLY (1) MEMBERSHIP FEES AND (2) PLAYOFF RECEIPTS (MOSTLY FOOTBALL).

THE UIL NEEDS THE REVENUE TO OPERATE .......

OVERALL THE UIL OPERATED AT A $268k DEFICIT LAST YEAR ....

< posted by 3afan >

Ranger Mom
11-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by g$$
1st year for anything below the 3A classification having more than 1 division is this year. Stared at 5A, then on down.

Very watered down now IMO. I can see both sides of the argument. Bottom line is UIL makes more $$ on every gate, etc.

So it just started THIS year...I don't feel so dumb afterall!!

KTJ
11-28-2006, 02:23 PM
So my question is this--

Why 12 State Champs in football but only 1 in every other sport?

Old Tiger
11-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
So my question is this--

Why 12 State Champs in football but only 1 in every other sport? No need for it....Like I said in an earlier post. Make the DI winner play the DII winner for an outright state championship.

g$$
11-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
So my question is this--

Why 12 State Champs in football but only 1 in every other sport?

$$ is the answer.

But I agree with you 100% on this topic.

WildTexan
11-28-2006, 02:59 PM
all below 3A this year is wrong.....Celina has been Div2 champ in 2A 5 times.....it started back in the late 90s in 2A, but 1A and six man started just this year....

ya reckon the UIL gets a kickback on champions rings so they want more champs to be named?

just trying to start up a conspiracy theory

GOFOR2
11-28-2006, 03:48 PM

I have to agree with Phil on this one. It is all about the money. I dont care what the UIL says about being for the kids. We are all so concerned with doing things for the kids and forget that life will not be that easy when they get out of high school. Its a dog eat dog world and you dont get something for nothing, like the UIL is making it out to be.

BTEXDAD
11-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by g$$

I was all in favor of having the two teams from one district go to playoffs like they started years back, but then have only one champ. Then it went to three from each district and I didin't like that. The two state champs in each classification is ridiculous. A "big school" champ in 1A may have 100 kids total and the
"small" school champ may have 150 depending on districts they came out of.
If you're actually thinking big and small, I can see some reasoning for having this setup in 5a. Lots of difference in student bodies, and this setup avoids having to go to a 6A level and then trying to fill out all the districts.

g$$
11-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
I was all in favor of having the two teams from one district go to playoffs like they started years back, but then have only one champ. Then it went to three from each district and I didin't like that. The two state champs in each classification is ridiculous. A "big school" champ in 1A may have 100 kids total and the
"small" school champ may have 150 depending on districts they came out of.
If you're actually thinking big and small, I can see some reasoning for having this setup in 5a. Lots of difference in student bodies, and this setup avoids having to go to a 6A level and then trying to fill out all the districts.

Great post, & I agree. It happens in every class where the "big school champion" may have less kids than the "small school champion", & vice versa, depending on the districts of course.

To me, 3A has the biggest discrepancy. You go from roughly 400 to 900+, then divide that by 2 & you get boys & girls in theory. Lots of difference in 200 boys & 400+ boys, if you follow.

Yes, in 5A you have the same huge differences, but you start with more kids to begin with. It evens out to me since your reference point is bigger.

I hate the 2 division system & only wish they could have kept it only in 5A (no 6A). Watered down the whole deal, & you crown too many "champions" IMO.

HPLJ6L
11-28-2006, 05:03 PM
weather ya like it or weather ya hate it, you'd better learn to live with it pal, cause it's the best thing goin' today. wooooooooo

It is not going anywhere and I don't think playing until we have one winner would solve the problem because of the major differences in school populations and city populations. West Texas wouldn't stand a chance against the staggering numbers of the junior college sized 5a juggernauts of Dallas and Houston. And Good Luck coming out of the valley, they might as well save that gas. So after a few ARSE whuppins they would cry to the UIL to make it fair and we would be back where we are now. Hell it's for the kids let them enjoy their championship.

Snydertigersrul
11-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
ok, but WHATS THE HARM ???

and remember - its the SCHOOLS that dictate what the UIL does - not a but of suits in Austin!!! So call your superintendent !!!

;)

If you believe that,I've some swamp land in Florida for sale.

Snydertigersrul
11-28-2006, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

This is the first year for two champions in 1A and Six-Man