PDA

View Full Version : In Gold Cup Women's Soccer it was USA 2 Canada 1

Phil C
11-27-2006, 10:44 AM
This was for the championship yesterday. The two teams qualify for the World Cup to be played in China in the summer. This was a tough game and Canada has come a long way. The game was tied 1 - 1 after the first half but in the second half the USA had chance after chance but never could get a score. After all those chances Canada had a chance to win in the last minute of regulation when Christian Sinclaire had a shot at the goal but hit the side bar and it bounced off the field of play. In OT the USA still blew chance after chance. Very frustrating indeed. The with about a minute left Christine Lilly had a chance to score but was fouled by Canada and had a penalty kick and she got it to win the game. A good win but it was a frustrating way to win it with all the chance we had. The USA has some young players but they need to learn patience when they get near the other team's goal and take good shots to get scores. Way to go USA Ladies!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/tourneys/2006-11-26-gold-cup-final_x.htm

Phil C
11-27-2006, 03:00 PM
I saw the replay again and it looked like the foul call on Lilly was legitimate even though I don't think it was necessary. A good win but still a bitter one. I would have prefered to have won it on one of the close ones we should have got in.