PDA

View Full Version : Wide Receiver pick play

mrescape43
11-26-2006, 01:24 PM
I have a question regarding this. In HS football is it legal for 2 receivers to cross so 1 can pick off the corner from 2nd receiver to allow him to come open

halfnhalf
11-26-2006, 01:44 PM
no, pick plays are illegal

mrescape43
11-26-2006, 01:56 PM
I didn't know for sure. I saw one of these plays the other day. The 2 receivers crossed about 3 or 4 yards downfield and the db who was covering the receiver running a short out pattern was shielded from his primary cover assignment. The play worked for about a 10 or 15 yard completion. I guess the receiver disguised it as if he were just running a route.

Pmoney
11-26-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by halfnhalf
no, pick plays are illegal
thats wierd i mean i think it should be legal bc i dont understand why its illegal

Technoredneck
11-26-2006, 02:25 PM
You can't run a pick after the 5 yards, but you can screen the defender by running 2 recievers past each other, you just can't intentionally impede the defenders.

Old Tiger
11-26-2006, 02:27 PM
Crossing routes happen all the time. as long as the receiver looks like he is not blocking then it won't be considered a pick. VAmike would know the answer for sure

whtfbplaya
11-26-2006, 02:41 PM
There is no 5 yard anything in hs or college. You can not run a "pickplay", but you can run crossing patterns and whatever happens is ok as long as he does not intentionally hit the defender.

football4life
11-26-2006, 02:53 PM
if the receiver isn't "intentionally" blocking, it won't be called. it's a great play, get's the guy open in the flats majority of the time

RdaleBoi08
11-26-2006, 03:11 PM
Usually Confuses The Corner And Outside Linebacker/Saftey

DukeNukem
11-26-2006, 03:29 PM
offenses call them rub routes. defenses call them pick plays. they are illegal but are never called. if you play graham you had better be ready for pick plays. they run them all the time. especially in short yardage and goal line situations.

halfnhalf
11-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
thats wierd i mean i think it should be legal bc i dont understand why its illegal
Well see people can get hurt really bad on pick plays. That wide reciever is thinking block the whole time waiting for that defensive back to come across covering his teammate. The db never knows whats coming and is really vunerable to injury.

VAMike
11-26-2006, 05:34 PM
As has been said, if the offensive player initiates the contact and a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone is thrown, then it is a foul for off. pass interference. If the defensive players run into each other, that is life, no foul. t is the responsibility of the offensive player to avoid contact.