PDA

View Full Version : Big stadiums?

GreenMachine
11-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Was wanting to know other people's opinions on stadiums. We play against Wimberley in the Alamodome on Friday. I, for one, would rather play in a smaller stadium and pack it. I don't mind the indoors part because it takes the weather factor out of it, but it is sooo big that it doesn't have the same atmosphere as a smaller stadium.

bobcat1
11-26-2006, 11:21 AM
I'm with you. I liked a packed house close to the action so the kids can hear the support.:D

Adidas410s
11-26-2006, 11:24 AM
agree totally. It's cool for the kids to get to play at Texas Stadium, Alamodome, Kyle Field, etc...but when they play to a 15-20% capacity it feels kind of weird. The Cuero/Wylie @ Baylor was about as big of a stadium as I think that crowd should've played in. It was a very good crowd (about 1/2 full) and didn't really look empty.

GreenMachine
11-26-2006, 11:55 AM
You are right, it is exciting for the kids, but a nice 5a stadium is probably the right size for most 3a playoff games.

Emerson1
11-26-2006, 12:12 PM
If I was a player I would rather say I played in Texas Stadium then some rinky dink stadium.

3afan
11-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
agree totally. It's cool for the kids to get to play at Texas Stadium, Alamodome, Kyle Field, etc...but when they play to a 15-20% capacity it feels kind of weird. The Cuero/Wylie @ Baylor was about as big of a stadium as I think that crowd should've played in. It was a very good crowd (about 1/2 full) and didn't really look empty.

we were at that game at Baylor and it was more like 1/4 full - the capacity is 50K .... i have a good pic i'll try to find ;)

http://www.metroeastsoftball.net/cuero_crowd.jpg

Technoredneck
11-26-2006, 12:25 PM
That's not a bad crowd for a 3A football game

Emerson1
11-26-2006, 12:26 PM
For a state championship it's not that great.

Technoredneck
11-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Didn't say it was great, just said it wasn't bad. I find that a lot of teams don't travel much better in the playoffs than they did during district play.

GreenMachine
11-26-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
For a state championship it's not that great. Remember that is a college football stadium. I was at that game and it was a pretty impressive crowd on both sides. Cuero brings a lot of folks all year long, not just playoff time :thumbsup:

wyliegrad04
11-26-2006, 12:54 PM
I was also at that game in 2004 ... it was just such a great atmosphere. No, it wasn't packed, but it sure wasn't empty.

Wylie and Cuero BOTH bring big crowds anywhere they go.

I think maybe the 3A final this year should be played in Clyde!! Any takers?

Technoredneck
11-26-2006, 01:07 PM
not too excited about that option

20FAN07
11-26-2006, 01:07 PM
The WOS/Giddings game was packed at Turner stadium in Humble.

44INAROW
11-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
we were at that game at Baylor and it was more like 1/4 full - the capacity is 50K .... i have a good pic i'll try to find ;)

excuse me, I just had a flashback.......
OK I am better now :D

3afan
11-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
excuse me, I just had a flashback.......
OK I am better now :D

sorry ............

HM33
11-26-2006, 01:35 PM

EEWWWW....good and bad memories :S lol

44INAROW
11-26-2006, 01:38 PM
sorry ............

it's OK - in addition to that game at Baylor- I watched Cuero lose to SLC 12-6 in 1993 - time does heal ;)

HM33
11-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
it's OK - in addition to that game at Baylor- I watched Cuero lose to SLC 12-6 in 1993 - time does heal ;)

I was a little kid but I remember going to that game.

Adidas410s
11-26-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
For a state championship it's not that great.

remind me when you became the authority on things such as this??? :rolleyes:

Matthew328
11-26-2006, 03:16 PM
I thought the crowd at Wylie-Cuero was pretty good....that pic is of the Cuero crowd....Wylie had even more on their side....it was at least 15,000 at that game

GreenMachine
11-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Yea, I think I counted 1 more :rolleyes: :D

Gobbla2001
11-26-2006, 04:41 PM
The week before we packed our side at RR ISD... no room left...

I agree, the smaller stadium's are more fun when creating an atmosphere...

Now if we could get everyone to go to the game and fill the Dome up (which I doubt) then it'd be pretty cool...

Gobbla2001
11-26-2006, 04:42 PM
I will say the next day Floyd Casey was a lot more packed for Lufkin/SLC, that was a great game and great atmosphere...

wooden bear
11-26-2006, 04:49 PM
I thought that the atmosphere was great at Floyd Casey. It was def louder and that was due to those crazy kids from Wylie.

Old Tiger
11-26-2006, 04:55 PM
As a past player I would have liked to play in big venues such as Kyle Field and others

GreenMachine
11-26-2006, 04:59 PM
You talk about crazy kids and I was wondering why none of the Cuero kids (boys) paint their bodies or paint letters on them (spelling Gobblers) like some other schools do? Is it a school policy? Just wondering :)

Gobbla2001
11-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
You talk about crazy kids and I was wondering why none of the Cuero kids (boys) paint their bodies or paint letters on them (spelling Gobblers) like some other schools do? Is it a school policy? Just wondering :)

every now and then some will...

but it may be a policy... I wouldn't be surprised...

wooden bear
11-26-2006, 05:04 PM
Some kids tried doing it but the principal made them leave the stadium last year i think. Those kids cussed us up and down the field during warmups it was pretty funny.

LHMom
11-26-2006, 05:14 PM
According to my boys and some of their friends, the bigger stadiums seem to stand for something - like validating how big of a game it is. For my memories, I was just as "excited" wherever they were playing. My older son never got to play at a "big" college stadium, my younger one played at Kyle, but they lost. I think he'd be happier to have played at a smaller field if it meant a victory!

rb585
11-26-2006, 05:18 PM
I'd much rather the game be at Seguin again or San Marcos.

I hate the Alamodome. $10 parking and idiot ushers finally got to me a few years back and I swore I'd never go to another game there.

Guess I'm breaking my word this week...

Gobbla2001
11-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by rb585
I'd much rather the game be at Seguin again or San Marcos.

I hate the Alamodome. $10 parking and idiot ushers finally got to me a few years back and I swore I'd never go to another game there.

Guess I'm breaking my word this week...

sure it's 10? not saying you're wrong, I remember paying something once, but don't remember 10...

Maroon87
11-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
The week before we packed our side at RR ISD... no room left...

I agree, the smaller stadium's are more fun when creating an atmosphere...

Now if we could get everyone to go to the game and fill the Dome up (which I doubt) then it'd be pretty cool...

We had standing room only on our side at RRISD for last year's 4A-DII final. I think I preferred that to a 1/4 or 1/2 full Astrodome, Texas Stadium, or Alamodome.

GreenMachine
11-26-2006, 06:00 PM
I like the RRISD stadium too. Would much rather play in a place like that. I also liked Farris stadium in San Antonio, except for getting out of the stadium at the end of the game, and the bad memories :mad: OK maybe I don't like Farris stadium :D

Gobbla2001
11-26-2006, 06:14 PM
I like the RRISD stadium too. Would much rather play in a place like that. I also liked Farris stadium in San Antonio, except for getting out of the stadium at the end of the game, and the bad memories :mad: OK maybe I don't like Farris stadium :D

getting in and out of Farris vs. getting in and out of RRISD, I'd rather be at Farris...

#1, there are atleast three ways to get out of there... and the loop is right there...

At RRISD there's one way out and into busy traffic with traffic lights etc...

LH panthers
11-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Was wanting to know other people's opinions on stadiums. We play against Wimberley in the Alamodome on Friday. I, for one, would rather play in a smaller stadium and pack it. I don't mind the indoors part because it takes the weather factor out of it, but it is sooo big that it doesn't have the same atmosphere as a smaller stadium.

who do you think will win?

rb585
11-26-2006, 09:52 PM
sure it's 10? not saying you're wrong, I remember paying something once, but don't remember 10...

I haven't been since about 2002, but I'm absolutely sure it was $10 then. And of course nowhere in the lot is actually near the entrances. And they told us that we couldn't have a propane tank in the lot.

And I haven't even started on the idiot ushers and the understaffing of the ticket booths.

Gawd, I hate the Alamodome.

:mad:

44INAROW
11-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by rb585
I haven't been since about 2002, but I'm absolutely sure it was $10 then. And of course nowhere in the lot is actually near the entrances. And they told us that we couldn't have a propane tank in the lot.

And I haven't even started on the idiot ushers and the understaffing of the ticket booths.

Gawd, I hate the Alamodome.

:mad:

I really don't remember how much it was in 2004 - seems we parked right at the south end in a real small lot- and we were just so happy we'd actually parked in the parking lot and didnt have to park over by the old Hemisfair area and walk a long way. you are right though, parking leaves much to be desired at the Alamodome.

SpursFan
11-26-2006, 11:02 PM
We were stuck in traffic for 1 hour before the game trying to get in the Alamodome parking lot..

We were the last game of the day and the other game's fans were trying to leave as we were trying to get in!! We almost missed the kick off!!

And now about Bucaneer stadium in CC.

I know parking was horrible in CC last week. Nice Stadium but parking sucked!! wHERE DO THEY PARK WHEN THE STADIUM IF FULL???
Also glad I used the directions posted here or we would have been late like alot of Cuero fans were due to bad directions in the Cuero Record!!!

I could not believe no one directing traffic at the end of the game in CC! It took us a while to get out!!

Maroon87
11-27-2006, 09:57 AM
getting in and out of Farris vs. getting in and out of RRISD, I'd rather be at Farris...

#1, there are atleast three ways to get out of there... and the loop is right there...

At RRISD there's one way out and into busy traffic with traffic lights etc...

I've never been to Farris, but getting out of RRISD took quite a while. The place is set at kind of an odd angle, which doesn't help traffic flow, IMO.