PDA

View Full Version : Graham-Sanger Thoughts

Matthew328
11-26-2006, 12:54 AM
Great game during OT....it was a mistake filled game for 48 minutes neither team could get anything going....both defense's were solid....Sanger's RB is a speedster but Graham did a good job of not letting him get the corner...because if he got it he was housing it!!!! Graham was very gutty..surprised me they ran the ball so much for sure....two evenly matched teams who just threw haymakers at each other....

Matthew328
11-26-2006, 01:02 AM
The two point play.....on Sanger's two point play let me explain how the play went...Pegues took a direct snap and was stopped at the 3, he broke loose of a tackle and then it appeared his progress was stopped at the one...well the refs let em play and Pegues made a heady play and pitched it back to the original QB who strolled in.....the weird part is the line judge during the play came in to mark the ball?? There were 2 officials in the pressbox and they noticed that the line judge on the Sanger side kept coming in very early....

Here is something else crazy...that crew that worked the game worked the famous Plano East-John Tyler game in 1994!

pirate4state
11-26-2006, 01:18 AM
wow - sounds like you witnessed some good football games this weekend!! :thumbsup:

Matthew328
11-26-2006, 01:35 AM
they still don't compare to slc-trinity...just another weekend for me!! LOL

Adidas410s
11-26-2006, 01:40 AM
Matt pretty much summed this one up. Sanger had 4 or 5 personal fouls and what had to be at least 100 total penalty yards. You had to think that eventually they would come back to haunt them. The top running back from Sanger (Pagese sp) had 90% of his yards on 2 long runs in the first 6 minutes...but the Graham defense was lights out other than that and allowed 3 or 4 more first downs after those two long runs. Sanger's defense was getting a lot of pressure on McCoy in the first half (see blurred picture below...he actually got this ball off for about 30 yards)

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/8236/p1011288of7.jpg

Adidas410s
11-26-2006, 01:49 AM
Also...this picture didn't come out well...this is from the last play in the 4th OT when Graham scored...look at the blue blur that is about 3 feet off the ground. That is a Sanger defender picking up Case McCoy and throwing him. He was the player that was down for a minute or two at the end of the game in case they mentioned it on the radio.

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/2434/p1011386sw9.jpg

SintonFan
11-26-2006, 01:51 AM
Nice pics actually.:clap:

MarginalTalent
11-26-2006, 02:34 AM
The defensive intensity had a lot to do with the mistakes on offense. Both defenses were not giving an inche. It was beautiful.

Cameron Crazy
11-26-2006, 03:18 AM
HOW ABOUT THEM GRAHAM STEERS!!!!

VWG
11-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Anybody notice how McCoy has totally diversified this offense?
I heard he had two or three plays in the game where he took the freshman QB out and put the kid that started at QB last year..... and went Bourquin style! Ran the option out of the I -formation.
How many teams also do you see win with 5 interceptions and one lost fumble in OT? I noticed in the FW Star Telegram that Graham had 14 first downs to Sanger's 8. One of Graham's RB's had something like 128 yards rushing on 24 carries.... again, McCoy has diversified this offense.
If David Bourquin would have worked on something other than the split veer for 100% of his gameplan, he could have had more playoff victories at Graham. He went six straight years to the playoffs as one and done. He did have one team if I remember seeing WOS87's playoff histories thread that went three deep back when they were in 4A.
Anyway.... gotta like a coach that takes a "multiple offense" into a game.

Adidas410s
11-26-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Anybody notice how McCoy has totally diversified this offense?
I heard he had two or three plays in the game where he took the freshman QB out and put the kid that started at QB last year..... and went Bourquin style! Ran the option out of the I -formation.
How many teams also do you see win with 5 interceptions and one lost fumble in OT? I noticed in the FW Star Telegram that Graham had 14 first downs to Sanger's 8. One of Graham's RB's had something like 128 yards rushing on 24 carries.... again, McCoy has diversified this offense.
If David Bourquin would have worked on something other than the split veer for 100% of his gameplan, he could have had more playoff victories at Graham. He went six straight years to the playoffs as one and done. He did have one team if I remember seeing WOS87's playoff histories thread that went three deep back when they were in 4A.
Anyway.... gotta like a coach that takes a "multiple offense" into a game.

In the first half...Graham was going back and forth between the spread and some I-formation. Last week, they were doing most of their running out of the shotgun 2-back set with a lot of draws and zone read type plays. Sanger was very tough up the middle (even after losing their stud DT on Graham's 1st drive to an ejection) so they were trying to reach the corner and take what they could get. In the 2nd half, they tried using the play action to get Case McCoy into the game but Sanger was continually getting pressure up the middle and he wasn't having a lot of time to throw...or he was throwing on the run. By the 4th quarter it was sweep, sweep, sweep...and another sweep...and then an occassional counter option with the ball usually going to the fullback. Graham used 3 QB's today (McCoy, Stansell, and Sokolosky). Stansell first came in and they ran an option or two with him (1 under center, 1 out of the gun) but he was hurt in the 3rd quarter. They then used Sokolosky at QB a few times. They would start out under center and then audible to a spread formation with trips to the left. Twice they ran the option out of it...the 3rd time they tried a play action into a fade route but Sokolosky was picked off at the Sanger 5 yard line.

Not to sound like a homer...but McCoy made a lot of adjustments from his "regular" offense and then again at halftime...ala Hugh Sandifer! ;)

Technoredneck
11-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Matt pretty much summed this one up. Sanger had 4 or 5 personal fouls and what had to be at least 100 total penalty yards. You had to think that eventually they would come back to haunt them. The top running back from Sanger (Pagese sp) had 90% of his yards on 2 long runs in the first 6 minutes...but the Graham defense was lights out other than that and allowed 3 or 4 more first downs after those two long runs. Sanger's defense was getting a lot of pressure on McCoy in the first half (see blurred picture below...he actually got this ball off for about 30 yards)

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/8236/p1011288of7.jpg
Looks like the refs blew the call on this one if they didn't flag the player for "launching and using the helment for a weapon" pretty clear in this photo.

Matthew328
11-26-2006, 12:44 PM
I don't believe NFL rules apply to HS Football....I asked the refs sitting in the pressbox about that play and they said it was a legal hit...

RMAC
11-26-2006, 12:48 PM
It made me sick to see the coach give that DT that got kicked out a high five after the 2nd play when he knocked McCoy down. If that's not an example of classlessness then I don't know what is.

Technoredneck
11-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Intentional helmet-to-helmet contact is never legal, nor is any other blow directed toward an opponent’s head. Flagrant offenders shall be disqualified.
also

RULE 9-1/CONDUCT OF PLAYERS AND OTHERS SUBJECT TO RULES
l. No player intentionally shall use his helmet (including the face mask) to butt or ram an opponent (A.R. 9-1-2-XVI).
m. There shall be no spearing (A.R. 9-1-2-XVII).
n. No player intentionally shall strike a runner with the crown or the top of his helmet.

stacylou
11-29-2006, 11:24 AM
nevermind