PDA

View Full Version : Aesculus Gilmus: "Rural" comment about A&M & recruiting

g$$
11-25-2006, 08:06 PM
"I have never dissed the Aggies. I HAVE pointed out at times that I don't see how they can ever be a consistent major power again because of their lack of appeal to most "urban contemporary" athletes. So they settle for "rural contemporary" ones like Jorvorskie Lane." --posted by Aesculus Gilmus
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since you played the "rural" card, maybe you should be enlightened with some facts:

Data from 2004 - 2005 (Houston Chronicle)

Enrollment: Texas = 49, 738 / A&M = 45, 380
% Black Students: Texas = 4 / A&M = 3
% Hispanic Students: Texas = 15 / A&M = 11
% Pell Grant Recipients: Texas = 20 / A&M = 19
Avg SAT Score: Texas = 1242 / A&M = 1204

**No doubt Austin & College Station are 2 different places, but the education offered & student bodies are strikingly similar. The #s back that up too. Texas has more Asians currently. Might want to do some research before popping off. When you win, recruiting is not an issue. Kids want to play in a big conference, be on tv, & have a chance to win. Period - I have worked in this stuff at the major college level & you obviously have not.

Ever been to South Bend, Indiana? Home of Notre Dame? Lincoln, Nebraska? Lawrence, KS? Kids don't go there for the quality of the city & nightlife. Numerous examples of this across the country. Good academic schools, big-time athletics, in the heart of recruiting country, etc.

A&M attracted kids from over 1,000 high schools last year. Texas does the same annually. Do your homework buddy!

g$$
11-25-2006, 08:16 PM
To make a statement like that is borderline absurd. A&M is a top-notch school academically & in a very central location for recruiting. You act like it is all cowboys & rednecks - nothing could be further from the truth with that stereotype. Do some research on the school in general. This is not 1960 anymore. A&M has even allowed women to enroll for 30 years now!

Ever heard of the College of Engineering, Biomedical Sciences, rapidly rising Business School, Vet School, etc.? A&M has worked hard to diversify more & will continue to do so with branch offices all over the state, Regents' Scholarships, & more minority recruiting efforts. You are way off-base.

Since both A&M basketball teams are in the top 15 nationally, I guess they recruit "rural contemporaries" too. Get a grip fella & learn what the heck you are talking about.

I should not even dignify such a stupid comment. Please try to do better with facts if you care to comment on a school you obviously NEVER attended or know much about in the future.

g$$
11-27-2006, 07:29 PM
No "rural contemporary" or "urban contemporary" thoughts?

That was one of the dumbest posts ever in my book.

handNthedirt
11-27-2006, 07:45 PM
his silence is defening. typical.

IHStangFan
11-27-2006, 07:46 PM
LOL..."rural"? lets see...

After looking at the roster...i see PLENTY of Houston area schools represented, Austin, San Antonio, you see names like Lufkin, Bellville, etc.

KL3
11-28-2006, 02:04 PM
I think this is what you call "getting owned". Great job g$$.

g$$
11-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by KL3
I think this is what you call "getting owned". Great job g$$.

Thanks, but my point was just to show him how far off-base he truly was when it comes to attracting kids to a particular school.

It's all about winning. Mackovic had trouble recruiting when he was in Austin, & that is just inexcusable. If you can't recruit kids to UT, then you are in the wrong business.