PDA

View Full Version : Celina vs. Madison game story (DMN)

charlesrixey
11-25-2006, 09:51 AM
DAVE LANCE / The Dallas Morning News

MCKINNEY – There's a reason Troy McCartney's halfback option touchdown pass in Celina's 43-6 win against Madison was right on target Friday.

"We've been working on it more in practice," McCartney said. "My adrenaline was pumping, but I threw it softly. I said to myself, 'I gotta sell the run real good,' and they bit."

And just like that, Lance Clark had a 29-yard touchdown catch, giving Celina a commanding 22-9 lead in the second quarter.

Sophomore McCartney rushed for 71 yards on 12 carries, and Charley Waldrep, another sophomore, rushed for three touchdowns and 178 yards on 26 carries.

"We just ran hard," McCartney said. "We said, 'We've got to play like seniors, like it's our last game.' "

Celina (12-0) moves on and it has a dominant offensive line to thank. It allowed Celina to move the ball mainly on the ground.

"We talked about running the ball," said Celina coach Butch Ford, whose team has won 28 straight games. "But it kind of went off better than expected. Our offensive line and our running backs all block well."

The defense wasn't bad, either. It held running back Shawnbrey McNeal, who is verbally committed to Texas A&M, to 22 yards rushing on 11 carries.

"The bottom fell out," said Madison coach Ronald Johnson, whose team finished at 11-1. "We couldn't stop 'em. Celina ran it down our throats. But we had a good season. A lot of programs didn't get this far."

E-mail dlance@dallasnews.com

Gobbla2001
11-25-2006, 09:53 AM
I've heard of Madison, but who is Celina??? :confused:

;)

Congrats to the Real Bobcats...

charlesrixey
11-25-2006, 09:55 AM
how did the Cuero game end up last night?

i never saw the final score of your victory

Gobbla2001
11-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
how did the Cuero game end up last night?

i never saw the final score of your victory

we were up 21-0 with 50 seconds left but we let 'em score just to be nice... 21-8 final...

charlesrixey
11-25-2006, 10:04 AM
how kind

good luck to you from here on out!

Going to be a tough game from here on out