PDA

View Full Version : Columbia 44 Silsbee 41 Final

g$$
11-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Just a great game & Columbia comes back from being down 41-31 with 3 minutes to go & won it to advance.

Great job Necks of WC.

Great job Dogs of Sweeny.

How about that 24-3A "weak" district now?

Necked
11-25-2006, 12:04 AM
What a great game from both teams. Excellent games for both Silsbees William Harper & Columbia's Jared Flannel. An absolute track meet. Columbia's special teams struggled most of the night but made the play of the game by recovering that onsides kick. Its really a shame one team had to lose a game like this.
Roughnecks, way to keep the dream alive for one more week!

I hope that kid they carted off will be OK.......

Old Green
11-25-2006, 12:23 AM
Congrats on the win dub- c:clap:

g$$
11-25-2006, 01:38 AM
Columbia will play Waco Robinson (beat Palestine) next week.

TBD on date & site.

gobbler grad
11-25-2006, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Columbia will play Waco Robinson (beat Palestine) next week.

TBD on date & site.

this will be a good game...still can't believe Robinson advances...:eek:

pirate4state
11-25-2006, 01:45 AM
:clap: Congrats to the Roughnecks!!

pdeuce
11-25-2006, 01:48 AM
columbia played a great game tonight. they sure know how to keep their fans on their feet. great job tonight by flannel. awesome onside kick tonight as well. next game in college stadium.

tigerdad
11-25-2006, 01:48 AM
MAN THAT MAY BE THE BEST GAME I EVER SAW !!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK ROUGHNECKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Necked
11-25-2006, 01:57 AM
Columbia Silsbee
Total Yards 509 261
First Downs 20 12
Rushes - Yards 53-298 31-206
Average Rush 5.62 6.65
Comp - Att - Int 10-21-0 6-10-1
Pass Yards 211 55
Average Pass 21.10 9.17
Punts 3 2
Punt Yards 91 73
Average Punt 30.33 36.50
Fumbles - Lost 2-1 1-0
Penalties - Yards 7-60 5-32

Key Players:
Columbia- Jared Flannel 41 - 246 2TD's 1 catch 36 yds 1TD
Jason Scott 10-21 - 211 yrds 2TD's

Silsbee William Harper 16 - 129 4TD's 1TD on kickoff return
6-10-1 55 yrds
Rocky Calhoun 6 - 33 1 TD

g$$
11-25-2006, 02:19 AM
Roughnecks strike late, top Silsbee

By Joel Luna
The Facts

Published November 25, 2006

CONROE — The Class 3A, Region III, Division I area-round contest between Columbia and Silsbee started with a bang and then finished with one.

A total of 85 points were put on the board, but it was the Roughnecks (8-4) who pulled out an incredible come-from-behind 44-41 victory to advance to the quarterfinal round.

Columbia will play Robinson, a 41-35 winner over Palestine on Friday, at 7:30 p.m. next Friday at Kyle Field on the campus of Texas A&M University.

“It is unreal. It was a great day for comebacks for Brazoria County,” Columbia head coach Brian Lane said. “This is what we work for, and it is unreal.”

Down 41-31 with 3:58 remaining in the contest, the Roughnecks went to the air. On third-and-seven, quarterback Jason Scott found Jared Flannel in the end zone. After an extra point by Carlos Paniagua, Columbia pulled within 41-38 with 2:19 remaining.

With Columbia needing the ball back, Silsbee (9-3) was expecting an onside kick. They got one, but Columbia’s Adrian Baldridge pounced on the ball and recovered for the Roughnecks.

With the ’Necks at their own 49-yard line and with two timeouts remaining, again they went to the air. After driving to the Silsbee’ 39-yard line with 1:12 left, Scott found twin brother Justin Scott for a 25-yard reception.

After a spike to stop the clock, Jason Scott scooted for a nine-yard keeper to put the ball at the 4-yard line. After an encroachment by Silsbee, the ball resting at the 2-yard line. Jason Scott faked a handoff to Flannel and rolled left into the end zone with 35 seconds remaining.

“We were 10 down and we were hoping something good would happen,” Lane said. “We didn’t quit, and we get down there and Jason made the great play to Flannel to get within three and get the onsides. It is one of those funny things where you practice it every day and it doesn’t work very often, but when it does it is good. Heck, what can I say? Jason made some great plays tonight.”

From the first kickoff of the game, the scoring got started. Silsbee started it off after Brooks Allen took the kickoff return to the Columbia 6-yard line. Two plays later, William Harper scored for a quick 7-0 lead.

But Columbia had an answer: Flannel. The speedy tailback rushed for 58 of the 83 yards on the Roughnekcs’ next drive to tie the game at 7-7. Flannel scored from two yards out and Paniagua made the extra point.

In the second quarter, after Silsbee had pulled within 14-13 on a 43-yard romp by Harper, Columbia had another answer.

Again Flannel took over, picking up 17, 6 and 28 yards on his first three carries. By the time Columbia scored, Jason Scott snuck in from the 3-yard line with 3:06 remaining before intermission.

The Tigers responded with a seven-play, 69-yard drive, tying the game on Harper’s eight-yard touchdown. After the two-point conversion by Harper and with 47 seconds remaining before the half, Columbia and Silsbee were tied at 21-21.

It was enough time for the Roughnecks. Starting at their own 35-yard line with 17 seconds remaining, Jason Scott found Justin Scott for a 45-yard reception to the Silsbee 5-yard line. Paniagua connected on a 22-yard field goal to give Columbia a 24-21 intermission lead.

Flannel ran the ball 25 time for 170 yards in the first half.

“We both were doing big plays, and neither one of us could stop each other,” Flannel said. “My O-line was just giving me big holes and they were easy to run through.”

But just as Silsbee didn’t have an answer for Flannel in the first half, the ’Necks couldn’t find one for Harper in the second.

After Columbia took a 10-point advantage, 31-21, with 9:03 remaining in the third quarter on a 12-yard score from Jason Scott to Justin Scott, things seemed just about done for the Tigers.

But Harper responded with a 75-yard kickoff return to tighten the score, 31-28.

The Tigers stopped Columbia on the next series and took over at their own 31-yard line.

In six plays, the Tigers drove the ball to the 12-yard line. Fullback Rocky Calhoun pounded the ball up the middle for a score to give the Tigers a 35-31 lead with 2:02 left in the third period.

Flannel, who finished with 245 yards and three scores on 41 carries, didn’t have the same daylight in the second half.

Jason Scott finished 10-for-22 for 209 yards and threw for two touchdowns.

Harper finished with 144 yards and five touchdowns on 15 carries. He also ran for a two-point conversion and threw for another 60 yards. He was intercepted once.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

44INAROW
11-25-2006, 02:27 AM
Wow - sounds like another great game tonight...... Congrats to the Necks - Congrats on the good season Silsbee!

nexfan
11-25-2006, 02:35 AM
Holy mother of god!!! If the dub does this again I'm not going to live to see 25! What an outstanding back and forth game. All I can say is wow!! Down by 10 with less than 3 minutes left and we win by 3? Our QB Jason Scott keeps getting better and better by the day! Typical Flannel day 41- 250, 3 td's! Seemed like he was always one broken tackle away from breaking the big one but never did. Nonetheless productive as always. Silsbee's QB stole the show for the tigers. Awesome athlete who we couldnt seem to get our hands on all night. Gotta give Silsbee all the credit in the world because they deserve it. Our kicker had a picture perfect onsides kick, couldnt have done it any better. One of those games you had to be there to believe. Congrats to the necks and I must say I am looking very forward to the bright lights of Kyle Field. Once again, tremendous job Silsbee... noone should have had to lose that game!!

g$$
11-25-2006, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the updates & what a game Nexfan.

Much appreciated.