PDA

View Full Version : Giddings Defense Wins Game

Darren
11-24-2006, 10:58 PM
Giddings defense had 2 stands deep in their teritory to help win the ball game.

Way to go Buffs.

21-13 Giddings

SintonFan
11-24-2006, 11:01 PM
No offense Gidding but I was pulling for WOS. You Buffaloes have a great team. Congratulations Giddings.:)
Sorry about the loss WOS, yall will be back stronger next year and congratulations on a very good season.:)

Darren
11-24-2006, 11:10 PM
WOS was all that they were made out to be that Earl Thomas was everywhere on the field. Plus he caught Brock and Casius our 2 fastest player from behind. He is good but didn't get as involved on Offense as I thought.

Plus brace yourselves----Giddings attempted and completed one pass.

Congrats on a great season WOS.

chaingang
11-24-2006, 11:23 PM
NO, Giddings D didnt beat us, WE BEAT OURSELVES!!!

Im not being a sore loser, Giddings is a GREAT team, but we made too many mistakes all night.

Before you attack me, watch the game film!!!

Or ask anyone at the game.

chaingang
11-24-2006, 11:24 PM
With that said..........Go Giddings, win it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darren
11-24-2006, 11:28 PM
I'm not going to attack you. I know that WOS is very very good. But I don't want to take anything away from Giddings either.

WOS beat us fair and square last year.
And in my opinion Giddings beat WOS fair and square this year.

You guys did a great job of slowing down Brock. But you have to admitt that Giddings stopping WOS with first and goal from the 5 yard line without penalties was great defense.

Darren
11-24-2006, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by chaingang
With that said..........Go Giddings, win it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure that we will do our best. Do you think that UIL would get upset if we borrowed Earl Thomas for a couple of weeks?

chaingang
11-24-2006, 11:30 PM
Well let me rephrase what I meant.

We cant expect to win a game with all those mistakes against a great Giddings team.

I wasnt trying to take anything from Giddings!

chaingang
11-24-2006, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Darren
I'm sure that we will do our best. Do you think that UIL would get upset if we borrowed Earl Thomas for a couple of weeks?

I dont think the University of texas would alow that:D

Darren
11-24-2006, 11:36 PM
I'm hitting the hay... But once again Hats off to WOS what a team and season.

buff4life
11-25-2006, 02:09 AM
Giddings D did an exceptional jobs stoppin the WOS offense...BTW the mistakes that were really costly were on special teams...but just my observations....#11 had a great game

Go BUFFS

Crimestick
11-25-2006, 02:46 AM
#11 is a stud, along with three or so others. This was really a matchup of two amazing teams - possibly the best two in 3A.

We did make too many mistakes to win. With that being said, I don't know that we would have won if we had avoided the mistakes, but it certainly would be less disappointing.

Who runs a QB sneak from the 1 from the shotgun? It's first and goal from inside the one. Line up behind center and sneak that SOB four times. That said, we still needed a two-pointer.

I was very impressed with the Giddings defense - much more than I was even the offense, which was "potent" to be sure.

Still, when two teams come in having scored 66 and 60 points the week before and come out 21-13, it says a lot about both teams. You guys should be proud of your Buffs. They played an almost mistake-free game. I thought our defense played fairly well. Our offense was out of sync, and our punt team was horrific. Our center had a nightmare of a game.

That is taking nothing from the buffs, who I hope will win it all.

GS#17
11-25-2006, 03:04 AM
First off, congratulations to Giddings -- you all wanted WOS, you all got WOS, and you all beat WOS. Hats off to your team for playing a great game. WOS got inside the 20 twice late in the game and got 0 points out of it, they had a few too many penalties, and way too many problems snapping the ball, but Giddings played very well on both sides of the ball, made very few mistakes, and did what they had to win. Unfortunately, WOS' miscues and poor offensive play calling were too much to overcome against a very good Giddings team who played a super game tonight.

Best of luck, Giddings, and again, congratulations on the win tonight. You beat a quality team, and you deserve a lot of recognition for knocking us out of the playoffs.

spiveyrat
11-25-2006, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Crimestick
[BOur offense was out of sync, and our punt team was horrific. Our center had a nightmare of a game.

[/B]

Probably the first time the punt team had to get on the field this year, eh? :D

Crimestick
11-25-2006, 03:21 AM
Well, we've punted, but we've never snapped it over the punter's head until tonight. It doesn't help your cause to give a team like Giddings that kind of field position.

gobblerfan02
11-25-2006, 03:29 AM
Im pulling for giddings to win Reg. III, but man if the Buffs and LH keep winning, I wonder how many rushing yards will be put up in their regional final game???

Old Tiger
11-25-2006, 03:30 AM
The good thing about this is I don't have to eat crow cause I'm not from Orange, haha :)

Darren
11-25-2006, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
The good thing about this is I don't have to eat crow cause I'm not from Orange, haha :)

I disagree with that statement. I am not knocking WOS at all they are a great team but you in particular were very confident that Giddings would lose this game. I don't know how many times I heard you say that Giddings was one dimensional and couldn't win the big game. Even if we lose the next game we play (hope we don't) I think that we have proven that we can and did win the big one.

So I am serving you crow anyway Tiger and your going to eat it and like it. :)

etbu
11-25-2006, 10:25 AM
Are any of the Giddings players getting some looks?

GreenMachine
11-25-2006, 10:49 AM
I disagree with that statement. I am not knocking WOS at all they are a great team but you in particular were very confident that Giddings would lose this game. I don't know how many times I heard you say that Giddings was one dimensional and couldn't win the big game. Even if we lose the next game we play (hope we don't) I think that we have proven that we can and did win the big one.

So I am serving you crow anyway Tiger and your going to eat it and like it. :) Are you saying that the area game against WOS was the big one :eek: :thinking: Cause they just keep getting bigger :thumbsup:

Crimestick
11-25-2006, 11:18 AM
Giddings is a great team, but are exceptionally one-dimensional on offense. Fortunately for them, it works. "One-dimensional" is not an insult. It's an accurate observation.

chaingang
11-25-2006, 12:54 PM
LOL, yeah, One deminsional isnt an insult if you do it like Giddings.

We killed ourselves!!!!!!

With mistakes like that, a team like Giddings will win.

Good luck Giddings, but dont forget, you have Wimberley/Cuero waiting for you.

We will see you again next year for the rubber match.:D

20FAN07
11-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Great game and great d for Giddings, we got the best of yall last year and now the tides have shifted. I have to agree on the other mustang posters about the out of sync and play calling, but we cant take anything away from Giddings. Giddings has an exceptional team and look for them to go very far. Its to bad that the season had to end this early but this game felt like a State game. Huge crowds on both sides, defensive game, low scoring, just a great atmosphere.
We'll be back!!

Once again congrats to Giddings, not many teams beat my mustangs.

keep your heads up mustangs, we dont diminish, we just reload.

tigerpride_08
11-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by chaingang
NO, Giddings D didnt beat us, WE BEAT OURSELVES!!!

Im not being a sore loser, Giddings is a GREAT team, but we made too many mistakes all night.

Before you attack me, watch the game film!!!

Or ask anyone at the game.

i do agree....several mistakes on goalline costed WOS...honestly i believe they could have won easily...

JakefootballGOD
11-25-2006, 02:30 PM
WOS!!! Great games kids....i'm a giddings homer but i will say this i have seen all the large games that giddings has played this year and they were by far the best team that we have seen so far!

Also, when you get two teams of this power it always comes down to misques, and wos had more this time...everyone knows this will happen again next year...best of luck kids, maybe that kid from WOS, will help them beat A&M next year!

wimbo_pro
11-25-2006, 03:14 PM
I said many times that Giddings offense CAN be slowed down, mostly due to its one-dimensional attack. It looks like it WAS slowed tremendously, as I predicted WOS would do. I also said if Giddings wins, it will be due to their outstanding defense...maybe the best defense in 3A. It appears to be the case, though making mistakes like WOS did will kill you. Congrats Giddings, you beat an outstanding team.

gobbler grad
11-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Giddings defense pulls through...great game and one they won't forget...good luck next week...

Old Tiger
11-25-2006, 04:54 PM

So I am serving you crow anyway Tiger and your going to eat it and like it. :) Well as long as it is fried...I don't care for baked or boiled crow.

Stownhorse
11-25-2006, 05:01 PM
Giddings is going all the way

20FAN07
11-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
Giddings is going all the way

they do have a great chance, but its only thee 3rd round and anything can happen. They still have libert hill, Wimberly/cuero winner. They still have some great teams to play.

Stownhorse
11-25-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by 20FAN07
they do have a great chance, but its only thee 3rd round and anything can happen. They still have libert hill, Wimberly/cuero winner. They still have some great teams to play.

They already beat Wimberly and Liberty Hill right?

RdaleBoi08
11-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Naw Just Wimberly

buff4life
11-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
i do agree....several mistakes on goalline costed WOS...honestly i believe they could have won easily...

and in my honest opinion..you need to get over your little hate about a team that WHOOPED yours...and give some congrats and respect when it is do...so you prolly think that wharton should have been a game too huh?

20FAN07
11-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
They already beat Wimberly and Liberty Hill right?

yes they did beat wimberly, but last time i checked teams improve week by week. These are kids, you never know who is going to show up. Just because they beat them earlier in the season doesn't mean its a fact they will do it again. Sure it will be a boost for giddings, but like i said they are kids anything can happen.

LHPfactory
11-25-2006, 08:04 PM
WOS has a great team, but I watched the game and everyone keeps making excuses like they should have won this game. The miscues, bad snaps, etc, were the result of the Giddings Defense being more physical and putting WOS under tooo much pressure. Yes WOS is great and fast and talented, but Giddings was just better, The ground pounders scored enough points and were not shut down (all you need is 1 more than your opponent to win). Give the Buffs credit, they out played, out manned and out scored WOS!.... I am a Liberty Hill fan all the way, so no homer here, I saw the game, Giddings made key mistakes too, thats all part of the game, Giddings won, Giddings is better.....Giddings goes to round 3, WOS pounds the hard wood. Good luck Buffs until round 4 then I hope its Orange ball time for yall to .... ;)

20FAN07
11-25-2006, 08:21 PM
They obviously outscored us....haha, but i dont know about out manned and out played. I give giddings all the credit for winning, im not one to take there pride. But in the game giddings was just able to captialize on the right plays. When it was our turn giddings "d" was able to stop it when it counted. Coming into the game I knew the winner would be the one to captialize and cash'em in and it was Giddings. And I didnt think neither team had an advantage (or being better) then the other. Giddings has a great coaching staff and kids and i commend your sucess:clap:

Crimestick
11-25-2006, 08:25 PM
I thought the teams were fairly evenly matched. I don't see how Giddings made "key mistakes" like the Mustangs did. They had a fumble, but they didn't give us the ball in great position on several snaps over the punter/QB's head.

tigerpride_08
11-25-2006, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
and in my honest opinion..you need to get over your little hate about a team that WHOOPED yours...and give some congrats and respect when it is do...so you prolly think that wharton should have been a game too huh?

so ya'll still think football hasn't changed...

tigerpride_08
11-25-2006, 10:23 PM
and to add on...i went to the Giddings/WOS game and i sat on the Giddings side and i was even thanked for coming and supporting ya'll...so yes i know that not all Giddings people have problems...:)

buff4life
11-26-2006, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
and to add on...i went to the Giddings/WOS game and i sat on the Giddings side and i was even thanked for coming and supporting ya'll...so yes i know that not all Giddings people have problems...:)

well i'm sure you weren't constantly hating on Giddings in the stands as you always are on here...but thanks for the support friday

sabre1
11-26-2006, 08:58 AM
For all of you who thought WOS was for real, well , you were right. The speed of #12 and #3 and the power of #24 were just amazing. Their defense were there in the right spots 90% of the time. It was an amazing game and being able to capitalize on the other teams misques is part of it.
Congrats to the Buffs on a great win and congrats to WOS on a great season.

manormustangs
11-26-2006, 12:29 PM
just want to say to all the wos people that were making smart remarks at all my comments.......that giddings wouldent win.....hahahahahahahahahahahahaha............to let everyone know i have a cousin in vinton lousiana and wos tryed to take a couple of there players to play for wos........could the uil investigate that crossing into lousiana to try and get players.....

20FAN07
11-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by manormustangs
to let everyone know i have a cousin in vinton lousiana and wos tryed to take a couple of there players to play for wos........could the uil investigate that crossing into lousiana to try and get players.....

Its a shame someone would try to make that up. Let me tell you something at WOS we build Champions, we dont go look for them. I am really shocked thatsomeone whould mak that crap up. Its ignorant!

manormustangs
11-26-2006, 12:53 PM
just coming from the facts.....no need to make up anything

20FAN07
11-26-2006, 01:03 PM
I know its not a fact and quit trying to put our school and tradition down. Ignorance

manormustangs
11-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by 20FAN07
I know its not a fact and quit trying to put our school and tradition down. Ignorance

isint it time for basketball .........go to a basketball site.....its not my fault yall recruit from lousiana since yall are so close...

Bull19
11-26-2006, 01:10 PM
just coming from the facts.....no need to make up anything

WHERE ARE YOUR FACTS? WORD OF MOUTH IS NOT FACTS. UNTIL SOMEOBODY SEE'S A PIECE OF PAPER PROVING THAT. YOUR STATMENT IS UNCREDIBLE AND WORTHLESS. YOUR SHOUDLNT SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT UNLESS ITS A PROVEN FACT

manormustangs
11-26-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
WHERE ARE YOUR FACTS? WORD OF MOUTH IS NOT FACTS. UNTIL SOMEOBODY SEE'S A PIECE OF PAPER PROVING THAT. YOUR STATMENT IS UNCREDIBLE AND WORTHLESS. YOUR SHOUDLNT SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT UNLESS ITS A PROVEN FACT

it aint my fault everyone is getting mad....my cousin said some wos students were at there practice at the beginning of the year and approached him and two of his friends on the team and told them they should play for them....that wos has a good shot at winning state and there school is always being looked at for college recruits....not saying it was the coaches just saying that students were going to lousiana trying to get players to go to wos and play football....the school name is vinton........in lousiana.....about 15miles from wos

20FAN07
11-26-2006, 01:21 PM
isint it time for basketball .........go to a basketball site.....its not my fault yall recruit from lousiana since yall are so close...

I know your trying to be funny with your "basketball" statement, but its not how far you get but what you get out of it. Our basketball program is great. But besides that here at WOS we support our kids and not try to downplay others. If we lose, we lose but im always happy for our kids b/c i know they gave it their best. Its a shame you try to badmouth 17 and 18 year old kids.

We dont look at yesterday, we build for tomorrow.

20FAN07
11-26-2006, 01:24 PM
it aint my fault everyone is getting mad....my cousin said some wos students were at there practice at the beginning of the year and approached him and two of his friends on the team and told them they should play for them....that wos has a good shot at winning state and there school is always being looked at for college recruits....not saying it was the coaches just saying that students were going to lousiana trying to get players to go to wos and play football....the school name is vinton........in lousiana.....about 15miles from wos

Even if that was true, coaches are the ones who get in trouble for it. A kid or "some students" that you refer to, can do that. As i knew it was a false statement........ignorance.

setxsports
11-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Yea this guy is an idiot! I love people who don't know what the hell their talking about.

Hindsight2020
11-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Why would WO-S need someone from Vinton of all places? Get a clue.

gato 76
11-26-2006, 07:17 PM
I was the game sat on the wos side.Im not taking anything away from Giddings,but if wos does not get the penalties that they got they could have gone up 14-0 in the 1st qt.I will give credit to Giddings im not sold on a 1 dimentional offense that you guys run,but i have to give credit to the defense on that last stand.Also special teams play on wos killed them.When thomas returned the punt in the 4th qt i thought they would score and win the ball game.When i saw wos play bay city there were a few times i thought they lined up in a I form maybe im wrong.But i will say this if im at the 1 yd line i line 2te Iform give it to mr.thomas.Over all it was a great game for the fans to watch man that place was packed.

manormustangs
11-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by **********
Yea this guy is an idiot! I love people who don't know what the hell their talking about.

ya i know espically people from southeast texas

setxsports
11-26-2006, 08:10 PM
Sometimes the better team doesn't win.

tigerpride_08
11-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by gato 76
I was the game sat on the wos side.Im not taking anything away from Giddings,but if wos does not get the penalties that they got they could have gone up 14-0 in the 1st qt.I will give credit to Giddings im not sold on a 1 dimentional offense that you guys run,but i have to give credit to the defense on that last stand.Also special teams play on wos killed them.When thomas returned the punt in the 4th qt i thought they would score and win the ball game.When i saw wos play bay city there were a few times i thought they lined up in a I form maybe im wrong.But i will say this if im at the 1 yd line i line 2te Iform give it to mr.thomas.Over all it was a great game for the fans to watch man that place was packed.

another person who feels my way...;)

Eagles52
11-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Sometimes the better team doesn't win.

So are you trying to say that Giddings isn't the better team? If so, you have zero grounds for that statement other than (an apparently very biased) opinion. There is a difference between a better team losing as compared to a situation where two relatively equal teams play, and that game can be accurately used for a measuring stick of who is the better team (these assessments bring in both of the team's success in the year outside of this particular matchup). An example from College Football: USC and Texas were pretty equally matched teams, #1 and #2 all year, and bother were undefeated, so that game's results can be taken as accurate, and proved that Texas was better. However, I don't think you would find very many unbiased observers who would argue Oregon State is a better team than USC this year, even though they have an upset victory against them (when you consider that USC is undefeated otherwise, and #2 in now). I apologize if I've somehow misread your statement or misconstrued it, but if you meant it how I took it, then you will probably get crushed on this board (and deservedly so) for just having sour grapes. Your team was beaten by a better one, there is no shame in it, just congratulate and move on.

setxsports
11-26-2006, 09:27 PM
No sour grapes. Giddings has a good team no doubt about it. Congrats on the win. So your saying because the WOS snapper snaps the ball over our punters head and Giddings scores their a better team????????????????????????????

Darren
11-26-2006, 09:56 PM

Giddings had a lot of penalties as well so I don;t agree with that point. I do think that special teams and your long snapper hurt you guys.

Keep in mind that there was only 1 turnover by Giddings and we were driving close if not in the redzone when we fumbled the ball. Giddings could have go up 21-7 had we not fumbled.

Once again WOS was the best team that Giddings has played thus far.

I have an little saying that seems to fit here.

IF IT'S AND BUTS WERE CANDIES AND NUTS WE'D ALL HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS.

gato 76
11-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Giddings had a lot of penalties as well so I don;t agree with that point. I do think that special teams and your long snapper hurt you guys.

Keep in mind that there was only 1 turnover by Giddings and we were driving close if not in the redzone when we fumbled the ball. Giddings could have go up 21-7 had we not fumbled.

Once again WOS was the best team that Giddings has played thus far.

I have an little saying that seems to fit here.

IF IT'S AND BUTS WERE CANDIES AND NUTS WE'D ALL HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS.

That bad snap on the punt,gave Giddings the ball around the wos 30yd line.That also lead to the 1st GDS score.It just seemed like most of the wos penalties came after they had made a big play and it seemed to kill there momemtum.Also the bad snap on after the wos td,gave GDS a 14-13 halftime lead,like i said special teams play killed wos.

Darren
11-26-2006, 10:15 PM
That bad snap on the punt,gave Giddings the ball around the wos 30yd line.That also lead to the 1st GDS score.It just seemed like most of the wos penalties came after they had made a big play and it seemed to kill there momemtum.Also the bad snap on after the wos td,gave GDS a 14-13 halftime lead,like i said special teams play killed wos.

I'm not saying special teams didn't hurt you guys. But what I am saying is its easy after a game is over to say if we could have done this right or if we hadn't done this we would have won.

Any team can say that after a game is over so I personally don't give it much credibility.

In other words I could say if Giddings hadn't gotten so many penalties and hadn't fumbled the ball. And if Giddings could have converted on 3rd down more often we could have won by 21.

It's just pointless to even discuss all the If's and Buts.

Eagles52
11-26-2006, 10:17 PM
No sour grapes. Giddings has a good team no doubt about it. Congrats on the win. So your saying because the WOS snapper snaps the ball over our punters head and Giddings scores their a better team????????????????????????????

That one play didn't decide the game, so no I'm not saying that. Giddings is the better team because they beat WOS by outplaying and out-executing WOS.

Crimestick
11-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Giddings was the better team Friday night. This is the reason that we get a bad rep on this board - people read a statement and say "You WO-S guys..." when the statement was made by a non-WO-S fan. Gato is a Bay City fan, not a WO-S fan, but his comments are answered with "you guys." I think just about every WO-S fan on this board has come and congratulated Giddings with no excuses. We did have a lot of miscues. We called stupid plays. Our offense was out of sync. Bad snaps hurt us. Guess what? THOSE ARE ALL PARTS OF FOOTBALL! They are not excuses - they are REASONS we were not the "better team" Friday night. Giddings didn't make those mistakes. Talent-wise, the teams were pretty darn even. Execution-wise, they got us. They were the better team when we faced up. Congrats and good luck. Let us, once again, say "We lost, but only to the state champions."

gato 76
11-26-2006, 11:09 PM
Giddings was the better team Friday night. This is the reason that we get a bad rep on this board - people read a statement and say "You WO-S guys..." when the statement was made by a non-WO-S fan. Gato is a Bay City fan, not a WO-S fan, but his comments are answered with "you guys." I think just about every WO-S fan on this board has come and congratulated Giddings with no excuses. We did have a lot of miscues. We called stupid plays. Our offense was out of sync. Bad snaps hurt us. Guess what? THOSE ARE ALL PARTS OF FOOTBALL! They are not excuses - they are REASONS we were not the "better team" Friday night. Giddings didn't make those mistakes. Talent-wise, the teams were pretty darn even. Execution-wise, they got us. They were the better team when we faced up. Congrats and good luck. Let us, once again, say "We lost, but only to the state champions."

Man i thought by now everybody knew i was from the land of the city cats. Hey crimestick i have to agree with you giddings should win state.

LHPfactory
11-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Team Statistics
Giddings West Orange Stark
First Downs - FD 13 14
Passing - COMP 1 14
Passing - ATT 1 25
Passing - YDS 21 195
Rushing - ATT 43 31
Rushing - YDS 282 16
Interceptions - INT 0 0
Punts - PUNTS 2 3
Punts - PAVG 38.00 42.00
Fumbles - FUMB 3 0
Fumbles - LOST 1 0
Penalties - PEN 7 7
Penalties - YDS 59 50

Giddings got about 100 more yards offense than WOS inspite of 3 fumbles (1 lost) and 9 more yards in penalties (hence the mistakes i mentioned earlier). Stats dispell excuses, They tell the cold hard truth, Giddings was more physical.

BTEXDAD
11-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by LHPfactory

Giddings got about 100 more yards offense than WOS inspite of 3 fumbles (1 lost) and 9 more yards in penalties (hence the mistakes i mentioned earlier). Stats dispell excuses, They tell the cold hard truth, Giddings was more physical.

All I know is that if Bellville would have made half the excuses and done half the whining I've heard from WOS, we'd have been blasted on this board( as has happened in the past).
The comment that all the real WOS fans were congratulating Giddings is true, but every congratulation had a disclaimer. Giddings has a great team, but if we hadn't done this......,
Giddings played great, however the penalties.......,
Giddings did this or that great, but if only our special teams......
You were beaten by a better team, WOS.
Go, Buffs!

Eagles52
11-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Yes, the ever popular disclaimer. I understand a discussion about what went into the loss (bad play calls, poor execution, turnovers) but the bottom line is that you weren't playing against air, and that other team had a lot to do with causing those mistakes.

Eli
11-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Coaching won the game. WOS had more talent and more potential, but Fitzhenry has built a team of disciplined football players. It's evident in the way they warm up, the way they execute, the way they celebrate, and the way they continue to win.

And when a defense shuts down Brock, the team picks up the slack.

This is what high school football is all about. Best high school game I think I've ever attended.

buffalo booster
11-27-2006, 01:16 PM
I agree, Eli, this was a classic game. However, I believe you got it wrong about #5. Brock didn't get "shut down." I believe he finished with 110 yards and three TD's, which isn't a bad night. Apparently you, and quite a few others, have been spoiled by his 200+ yard performances. 100+ against a good team is a good game.

The key to victory wasn't the coaching, it wasn't the Buffalo defense, and it sure as heck wasn't the bad snap. The key to victory was the ground game. Everybody knows Giddings is going to come at you on the ground. So far, nobody has stopped us.

By comparison, Giddings rushed 43 times for 282 yards; WOS rushed 31 times for 16 yards. WOS has great talent at their skilled positions, a good passing attack, innovative formations, and a good coaching staff. They just couldn't move the ball on the ground (especially when they needed to in the red zone in the 4th quarter) and Giddings could, averaging over 6 1/2 yards a carry.

See you in Round Rock on Friday.

griff
11-27-2006, 01:24 PM
I don't agree with the assessment that Giddings was more physical. The game was fairly even in the "physical" category. WO-S defense gave up a couple of big plays, but for the most part held the Giddings offense in check. The WO-S defense did a nice job of tackling, with many plays stopped with little or no gain or a loss in the backfield. Giddings gave the WO-S QB more pressure than he had seen all year, so, all things considered, I don't think there was a "physical" advantage by either team.

Giddings won because they executed better than WO-S. Even the Giddings coach said WO-S made mistakes they haven't made all year.

Congratulations to the Buffs and well wishes against Waco LaVega this weekend.

Crimestick
11-27-2006, 02:03 PM
By comparison, Giddings rushed 43 times for 282 yards; WOS rushed 31 times for 16 yards. WOS has great talent at their skilled positions, a good passing attack, innovative formations, and a good coaching staff. They just couldn't move the ball on the ground (especially when they needed to in the red zone in the 4th quarter) and Giddings could, averaging over 6 1/2 yards a carry.

Actually, WO-S had almost 80 yards on the ground that were negated by a 30-yard loss on the bad snap to the punter and about 15 that were taken away on the bad snap to the QB. Here are the official stats from the Chronicle:

WOS Depauldrick Garrett 17-54
WOS Andre Bevil 4-23
WOS Jacoby Franks 1-3
WOS Earl Thomas 6--5

buff4life
11-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Eli
Coaching won the game. WOS had more talent and more potential, but Fitzhenry has built a team of disciplined football players. It's evident in the way they warm up, the way they execute, the way they celebrate, and the way they continue to win.

And when a defense shuts down Brock, the team picks up the slack.

This is what high school football is all about. Best high school game I think I've ever attended.

The discipline is obvious in warm-ups and during the game....GO BUFFS

gato 76
11-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by LHPfactory
Team Statistics
Giddings West Orange Stark
First Downs - FD 13 14
Passing - COMP 1 14
Passing - ATT 1 25
Passing - YDS 21 195
Rushing - ATT 43 31
Rushing - YDS 282 16
Interceptions - INT 0 0
Punts - PUNTS 2 3
Punts - PAVG 38.00 42.00
Fumbles - FUMB 3 0
Fumbles - LOST 1 0
Penalties - PEN 7 7
Penalties - YDS 59 50

I think wos did a great job keeping the gidding qb in check.I really surprised he had over a 100 yds rushing.As far as the stats on the giddings side yds rushing 65yds of that came on 1 play when #2 broke for that long run.I disagree with you as far as giddings being physical,i thought the wos LB's were punishing the giddings backs i thought they were more physical.I will say this giddings was more diciplined,they remind me of the 2002,2003 burnet team.I do want to say this again went i looked at the stats i was surprised giddings was penalized that much.Anyway good luck the rest of the way.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Someone told me that Fitzhenry was ejected from the game. Any truth to this?

setxsports
11-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Wasn't him. Think it may have been their RB

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Okay, just checking. Any details on what might have happened.

buff4life
11-27-2006, 09:21 PM

no it was a cornerback who was on the ground and was kicking the WOS people and accidentally hit one in the head because a WOS player was steppin on his groin...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
no it was a cornerback who was on the ground and was kicking the WOS people and accidentally hit one in the head because a WOS player was steppin on his groin...

So if he was intentionally kicking someone, how did he "accidentally" hit one in the head?

Crimestick
11-27-2006, 09:45 PM
It definitely wasn't an accident. WO-S recovered a fumble and he lashed out. Half of the stadium saw it.

Darren
11-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by buffalo booster

The key to victory wasn't the coaching, it wasn't the Buffalo defense, and it sure as heck wasn't the bad snap. The key to victory was the ground game. Everybody knows Giddings is going to come at you on the ground. So far, nobody has stopped us.

The key was the Defense no doubt about it. Yes Giddings did a good job rushing the ball but hold a team that was averaging something like 40 plus points a game to 13. And also holding them to ZERO points twice in the red zone.

IT WAS THE DEFENSE THAT WON THE GAME NO QUESTION ABOUT IT.

Crimestick
11-27-2006, 10:28 PM
It was the defense, no doubt. WO-S shut down the ground game well enough to beat Giddings. If they could have punched it into the end zone on their two opportunities late in the game, the ground game would have meant zilch. The ground game had a few big plays, but was slowed and stopped by the WO-S D enough for the Mustangs to win. They piled up quite a few yards, but not enough to knock the Mustangs out of the game. The Giddings defense won the game for them.

buff4life
11-27-2006, 10:53 PM
It definitely wasn't an accident. WO-S recovered a fumble and he lashed out. Half of the stadium saw it.

I never said he wasn't trying to kick the guy...he just didn't mean to kick him in the head