PDA

View Full Version : Celina Story Must read!

bobcat1
11-23-2006, 09:34 AM
Please continue to pray for Tyler in his recovery. He was in attendance this morning to a standing ovation at the Quarterback Club meeting. We had 87 in attendance.

Older brother's cancer brings Celina siblings closer

11:38 PM CST on Wednesday, November 22, 2006
By DAVID HINOJOSA / The Dallas Morning News

CELINA – There are the good days. And then there are the bad days.

Those are the days that test your faith, strength and determination. The days you feel so sick from the poisons that have ravaged your body.

You never knew you could feel so bad.

Somehow, you never lose hope. You never give up. You never lose your sense of purpose. Your faith and strength endure more now than you could have ever imagined.

Then, you think of your younger brother. You feel his warm hand comforting your bald head. His encouragement gives you the resolve you need to get through yet another round of chemotherapy. As bad as you know you are going to feel, you know it's going to be OK.

Little brother's watching you.That's been Tyler Franklin's life since Feb. 21, when he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma – the most common type of bone cancer – on his left leg. Doctors removed his femur, which had a 32-centimeter tumor, and replaced it with a femur from a cadaver. Franklin, a former Celina football player, is scheduled for his 17th and final chemotherapy session Dec. 9 at Medical City Dallas Hospital. Doctors will check the post-chemo scans at the end of the year when he hopes to learn he is cancer free.

Throughout the process, Franklin's doctors have not given him any reason to believe that his outlook is anything but positive.

Getting to that point hasn't been easy. Through it all, though, Franklin considers his diagnosis to be a blessing because it has enabled him to forge a close friendship with Troy, who is 19 months younger and a starting defensive tackle for Celina.

REX C. CURRY / Special to DMN
Tyler Franklin (right) keeps a positive attitude despite his cancer. His brother, Troy (left), has helped him do so. "We are extremely close now," Tyler said. "You just feel a certain connection with someone when you go through something like this. He's helped me out and has let me know that he is there."

Tyler, 18, and Troy, 17, are the oldest of Scott and Holly Franklin's four children. Tanner, 13, is in eighth grade and Trevor, 9, is in fourth grade.

Tyler described his relationship with Troy, a junior, as "typical brothers." They fought. They argued. They competed against each other. In fact, they got into a fight the day before Celina defeated Omaha Paul Pewitt in the Class 2A Division II championship last December. Their father, Scott, had to pry them apart. Neither remembers what triggered the brawl.

"I guess it was all the testosterone," Tyler said. "Before a game like that, you are ready to blow up on somebody. Any little thing is going to set you off. You are trying to hold all that emotion in before a big game."

That scene seems like it happened a lifetime ago now that they've become best friends.

"It's changed both our lives," Troy said. "It's made me a better person, and it's made him stronger."

Tears flowed
That bond formed the instant they saw each other for the first time in the hospital when Tyler learned he had cancer. Tears flowed between them. That touched Tyler the most.

"I don't think he could even face me at that moment," Tyler said. "Troy never cries. He's a pretty big guy, and it takes a lot for him to open up like that. That spoke millions about how much he cared."

Tyler's diagnosis came about a week after he had signed a national letter of intent to play for Texas A&M-Commerce, reaching his goal to play college football. Then it was all gone.

Troy was stunned when he saw his older brother for the first time at the hospital. Tyler, the guy whom he had always looked up to, was down. He was weak and vulnerable. Troy, then 6-3 and 215 pounds, promised his brother then that would earn a college football scholarship.

"I knew that he was going to overcome it, but it was a scary moment when I realized that he might not win that battle," Troy said. "I told him that I was going to be there for him. When I found out that he couldn't play football anymore, I told him that I was going to finish it for him."

That's when Troy's transformation from lazy and unfocused to hard-working and highly dedicated began.

"I've seen Troy grow up so much because of this situation," Celina assistant coach Bill Elliott said. "He was immature. He had problems with grades. He saw what Tyler lost, and it's helped him mature."

Change of focus
After Tyler's diagnosis, Troy began focusing on his academics because he knew his grades would have to improve to attract the college recruiters. He attended several camps over the summer. All the while, he grew stronger and taller. He's now 6-5 and 245 pounds and has drawn the interest of Oklahoma State, Oklahoma and Nebraska. Barring injury, Troy should be one of the area's top recruits next season.

Seeing Troy's transformation has delighted Tyler. And the prospect of Troy playing college football for him makes him perk up.

"It lets me know that he meant it when he said it," Tyler said. "He took it seriously and took it upon himself to do everything he could to keep his word."

Troy said: "He's learned that I could change. I used to be a kid that didn't care about much. I realized that I have something to care about, something to dedicate myself to."

Troy has also turned into Tyler's caretaker. He spends weekends with him in the hospital. He's constantly giving him encouragement as he endures the chemotherapy sessions. Tyler tries to schedule his treatments early in the week so he can feel well enough to attend Troy's games. Tyler has missed two games. When Tyler's not there, Scott gives a play-by-play account of Troy's performance via mobile phone.

"It's been a bit of a role reversal for Troy," Holly said "He's become the older brother. We've seen a tender side of Troy that we hadn't seen before. It's changed him, and it's changed his heart. ... It's gratifying as a mother to see her children just know that they love each other with all their hearts."

Tyler hopes to resume his life soon. Upon his doctor's clearance, he's planning on attending Oklahoma State with the goal of becoming a strength and conditioning coach.

"It's a bump on the road," Tyler said. "This is just short term right now. It's definitely shown me how many things I take for granted. You realize that it comes down to the simple things in life that you have to hold onto the most."

E-mail dhinojosa@dallasnews.com

ONLINE INSIGHT

Excerpts of entries written by Holly Franklin on Tyler Franklin's online journal that can found at www.caringbridge.org/visit/tylerfranklin.

Saturday, March 18
8:43 a.m.: Tyler and Scott are sleeping very soundly right now. Tyler had an OK night. He woke me up at 1:30 a.m. with just one word (Mom). I got to his bedside just in time with the barf bucket.

Saturday, April 8
11 a.m.: Scott and Trevor have gone to the barber shop at Trevor's request to become bald again. The devotion Trevor has for Tyler is so pure. Scott is so strong. I've cried myself to sleep in his arms more in the last six weeks than in all 20 years of our marriage. Thank you, God, for this good, good man

Saturday, Oct. 14
6:54 p.m.: We checked in this morning around 11:00. Tyler and I both were quiet as we made the all-too-familiar drive into Med. City. ... Conversation was minimal, and he didn't have to say a word to let me know how he was feeling. I patted his hand and told him that I love him, and he told me he loved me as he gazed out the window trying not to let me see him cry. My heart was bursting for my sweet son who has endured so much. We can count our remaining chemo treatments on one hand, five and counting. ... We are so close! ... I embrace the time [when] Tyler is able to resume his life.

Monday, Oct. 16
9:07 a.m.: Troy has been here at the hospital cheering up his bro. I watched Troy comforting Tyler on Saturday evening right after we started chemo. Tyler was dreading how he knew it was going to make him feel. He was pretty upset. Troy was at his side and began to whisper to him that it was going to be all right. "You are a survivor," he kept telling Tyler while he stroked Tyler's smooth head with his huge hand. I couldn't hold back the tears so I didn't even try. Tyler and Troy share a special bond that only brothers can share. It is a bond that is bound tight with love, compassion and loyalty. What more could a mother ask for than to have her children be devoted to each other. EXPECT A MIRACLE!!!

Monday, Nov. 20
4:36 p.m.: It's hard to believe it was just a year ago Tyler and Troy were playing together, winning together, just being brothers and having the time of their lives. I am so grateful they were able to share all those memories together. It was a charmed time for all of us. God has richly blessed our family, with the richest blessing of all being a realization of what is truly important. I hope everyone has a blessed Thanksgiving.

CelinaCatFan
11-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Our thoughts and prayers continue for Tyler and his family. What a remarkable young man and an inspiring story!

Chris Hart
11-23-2006, 08:43 PM
That's an awesome story! I know the game between Celina/Dallas Madison, two teams that alot of people love to hate for different reasons, is going to pit two teams against one another with some fine individuals on both sides of the football. I wish them both the best. Great stories behind both of these 06 teams! I hope the game turns out to be just as great as those we have read about this week...:)

bobcat1
11-24-2006, 06:00 AM
two teams that alot of people love to hate for different reasons,
After reading this story and the Madison story how could there be hate? I for one will always pull for Madison from this point on except when they are playing Celina of course. :D

GreenMachine
11-24-2006, 07:20 AM
Truly an awesome story that brought tears to my eyes. This seems like a remarkable family and two wonderful young men.

LHMom
11-24-2006, 09:31 AM
This is so touching. Definitely brought tears to my eyes.

charlesrixey
11-24-2006, 07:39 PM
up to top

jlwzz
11-24-2006, 08:11 PM
My prayers are with this young man as i have had a daughter that to this day has won the fight with Cancer, she is 16 and is cured so they say, 14 years remission
i know this young man well get through this with all our prayers.