PDA

View Full Version : State Power / RGV

CueroDad2006
11-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Why cant the RGV ever play with any state powers?
Year after year powers come from above Corpus and SA.

Gobbla2001
11-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Dear Lawd :doh:

CueroDad2006
11-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Dear Lawd :doh:

I see you agree as well, but cant find the words to explain.

carter08
11-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Maybe its financial
Teams in the Valley may not have the money to afford the training other teams can

CueroDad2006
11-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Maybe its financial
Teams in the Valley may not have the money to afford the training other teams can
Good point,But there is alot of money in RGV......

handNthedirt
11-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Port Isabel is the only school I ever hear discussed from the RGV, and not very often. Good question.

Gobbler Fan
11-22-2006, 07:51 PM
One simple answer and NO i'm not being racist by any mean's , look at the team rosters when the RGV teams play .......what is the ratio of white/Hispanic/Black's on their teams ? I'd put it at least 98% if not higher of Hispanic's . Start there and give some more input if anyone has a more reasonable explanation . One question to the Valley folks ....Who is the best player in the Valley right now and is being recruited by division 1 school's ?

The Further North you go the more the mix is evening out with the ratio of races playing for team's and yes this does make a difference .

Cuero has the perfect mix of course ;)

CueroDad2006
11-22-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
Port Isabel is the only school I ever hear discussed from the RGV, and not very often. Good question.

Look at last years numbers

Ingleside 38 Rio Hondo 19

very next week

Cuero 56 Ingleside 17

Are you saying the speed up north is a big key?

Gobbler Fan
11-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Speed and Size

handNthedirt
11-22-2006, 07:59 PM
I'd be willing to bet that even the coaching down there has some contributing factors.

SintonFan
11-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad2006

very next week

Cuero 56 Ingleside 17

All those numbers say is that RH physically beat up Ingleside and softened them for Cuero.:D

handNthedirt
11-22-2006, 08:08 PM
I just realized that san benito traveled to round rock to play us my senior year for our homecoming game. it was hilarious, they came out with the smoke machine making all this hoopla, probably because it was the biggest crowd they'd ever seen, besides the local super wal mart the day after Thanksgiving, but anyway, they came out putting on this show and we kicked the ever living dog snot out of them. it wasn't even funny...and they won their district that year. but's what's crazy is that it looked like they brought the entire town of san benito with them, which is around 6 hours away I believe, they traveled a ton of fans, but they were a very undersized/slow/weak varsity football team...if our jv played them, our starters would be on the bench by the end of the first half.

SintonFan
11-22-2006, 08:09 PM
I'd be willing to bet that even the coaching down there has some contributing factors.
Coach Detmer(Ty and Sonny's dad) came from the Valley and he helped to revolutionize HS football with his pass-first philosophy.:cool:

handNthedirt
11-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Coach Detmer(Ty and Sonny's dad) came from the Valley and he helped to revolutionize HS football with his pass-first philosophy.:cool:

there are always exceptions...and you found the only one...congrats.:D

SintonFan
11-22-2006, 08:15 PM
there are always exceptions...and you found the only one...congrats.:D
I do know my Texas HS football.;)
Actually there has been an influx of coaches in the RGV recently from up north.
Coaching does help, in any very competitive district, there will be very few poor coaches.

Gobbler Fan
11-22-2006, 08:16 PM
OK this thread turned out going the wrong way .....first off let me say that the Valley fans are head and shoulders great no if's and or but's . Some teams around here don't get that kind of support even if they are winning so I hope the RH side is full nothing like a good atmosphere for a good game .

Second of all when Cuero played PI in 94 one thing that despite being undersized and slower than Cuero .PI had one thing that you cannot measure with a watch or a measuring stick and that was HEART and this is one thing that worries me about Friday Night this is a perfect setup for an upset but I dont think this team of Gobblers are going to be looking past RH like Cuero did against PI in 94'.

CueroDad2006
11-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
OK this thread turned out going the wrong way .....first off let me say that the Valley fans are head and shoulders great no if's and or but's . Some teams around here don't get that kind of support even if they are winning so I hope the RH side is full nothing like a good atmosphere for a good game .

Second of all when Cuero played PI in 94 one thing that despite being undersized and slower than Cuero .PI had one thing that you cannot measure with a watch or a measuring stick and that was HEART and this is one thing that worries me about Friday Night this is a perfect setup for an upset but I dont think this team of Gobblers are going to be looking past RH like Cuero did against PI in 94'.

I just want to see a good game, 2 hr drive to have to leave at haftime.

LH Panther Mom
11-22-2006, 08:26 PM
I just want to see a good game, 2 hr drive to have to leave at haftime.
:eek: :eek: What kind of fan leaves at halftime in the playoffs? :doh: :(

Gobbla2001

very next week

Cuero 56 Ingleside 17

Meaningless...

Example: 2000s season...

Gonzales beats La Grange

Yoakum beats Gonzales

In the playoffs La Grange drills Yoakum...

handNthedirt
I guess the best way for me to describe playing a team from the RGV would be....it was like playing football against a soccer team, possibly even a marching band.

CueroDad2006
11-22-2006, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

Love we will be in Corpus Christi.....Lots to do trust me.

Gobbla2001
11-22-2006, 08:28 PM

The one that has family and friends in for Thanksgiving and would like to get back home ASAP... :D

CueroDad's a family man maybe

SintonFan
11-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Love we will be in Corpus Christi.....Lots to do trust me.
Hmmm.....
like buying me dinner.:p

Gobbla2001
11-22-2006, 08:30 PM

And I left our game at halftime last week when it was 41-0... we were driving up to San Antonio that night and leaving early Saturday Morning for the Fort Worth area... I had gotten off of work at 7:30 that Friday morning, got me a LITTLE sleep, went to town early to get a haircut, some new clothes and shoes... I was dog tired... I would have stayed had the score been closer, but we really needed to get on the road...

Gobbla2001
11-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Hmmm.....

Like buying me beer :D

CueroDad2006
11-22-2006, 08:33 PM
The one that has family and friends in for Thanksgiving and would like to get back home ASAP... :D

CueroDad's a family man maybe

you got that right,house full for sure this weekend

CueroDad2006
11-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Hmmm.....
you would not take me up on that one remeamber?

Matthew328
11-22-2006, 08:44 PM
Call it what it is but the Valley teams simply don't match up when they meet teams from outside the area...it happens in all classes....the reason why Coach Detmer slung it around so much when he was at Mission is because his teams simply could not match up physically....

luvhoops34
11-22-2006, 08:46 PM

I think you answered your own question...:p

SintonFan
11-22-2006, 08:50 PM
you would not take me up on that one remeamber?
Actually I did but I kinda was sick right after I posted that. Coincidence maybe?:thinking: :nerd:

handNthedirt
11-22-2006, 08:52 PM
thread jackers.

CueroDad2006
11-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Actually I did but I kinda was sick right after I posted that. Coincidence maybe?:thinking: :nerd:

So are you one to pick a good game a go watch it even after your team is gone?
If so who are you going to go see?
alot of good games around in 2nd round

CueroDad2006
11-22-2006, 08:54 PM
thread jackers.

What do you mean?

SintonFan
11-22-2006, 09:09 PM
So are you one to pick a good game a go watch it even after your team is gone?
If so who are you going to go see?
alot of good games around in 2nd round
If I didn't have to work I'd see CAL/BEE and then PI/OG. But I doubt I can see either. Cuero/RH will not be a bad game to watch imo.
This is the busiest time of the year in my business.
I most likely will pick a game to see in SA on Saturday with my kids.:cool:

handNthedirt
11-22-2006, 09:10 PM
y'all took a good thread the wrong direction...got totally off the subject. focus and let's get back to what is going on in the RGV. what's the farthest a school from the valley has made it in the playoffs in the last 20 years?

SintonFan
11-22-2006, 09:10 PM
y'all took a good thread the wrong direction...got totally off the subject. focus and let's get back to what is going on in the RGV. what's the farthest a school from the valley has made it in the playoffs in the last 20 years?
Those who make the thread can "jack" it themselves.:p

Gobbla2001
11-22-2006, 09:12 PM
"jack" it themselves.:p

:eek: :eek: :eek:

handNthedirt
11-22-2006, 09:13 PM
happy jackin, big fella....haha!!!

44INAROW
11-22-2006, 09:34 PM

must be important - you know me Deb - I won't even leave the stands at halftime (or anytime for that matter) to heed "nature's call"

***I did make the exception last week to see my dear Friend P4S - she was standing back there behind the fence all alone - waving to me 100 yards away :) - I just had to break tradition to go see her - she is the ULTIMATE FAN - she even cheered on the Sinton side when my son caught a pass :)

what's the farthest a school from the valley has made it in the playoffs in the last 20 years?

Port Isabel went pretty deep in 2004 -

Bandera YaYa
11-22-2006, 09:36 PM
I guess the best way for me to describe playing a team from the RGV would be....it was like playing football against a soccer team, possibly even a marching band. Uh.....a good soccer player can run circles around a good football player!! Those soccer players are in constant motion...no resting after each play. :eek: :D :p

Bull Butter
11-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
must be important - you know me Deb - I won't even leave the stands at halftime (or anytime for that matter) to heed "nature's call"

***I did make the exception last week to see my dear Friend P4S - she was standing back there behind the fence all alone - waving to me 100 yards away :) - I just had to break tradition to go see her - she is the ULTIMATE FAN - she even cheered on the Sinton side when my son caught a pass :)

Port Isabel went pretty deep in 2004 - and lost that heart breaker to Rice Consolidated in 3 or 4 OT -
They beat Rice in that 4 OT game to get to the Semis

44INAROW
11-22-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
They beat Rice in that 4 OT game to get to the Semis

oops -sorry (I went and fixed my post) I wasn't trying to slam anyone, I was just mistaken - I kept getting updates from Gobbler Grad that night - it was back and forth - must have been a great game.......... who'd they lost to that year then?

handNthedirt
11-22-2006, 09:44 PM
ok, so they were slower than a soccer team....they were still weak nutless wonders. soccer is a nothing more than a gathering of whiney nancy boy metrosexuals kicking a ball around.

handNthedirt
11-22-2006, 09:46 PM
chics kicking a ball around is all good, cause they're chics...who just may rip their jersey off after scoring a game winning penalty kick.

carter08
11-22-2006, 09:48 PM
I am surprised this thread hasn't turned into a racist, sexist, soccer bash.

It's just a sexist soccer bash :D

SintonFan
11-22-2006, 09:59 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
I bet you're an expert on that huh...:thinking:

Gobbla2001
11-22-2006, 10:22 PM
I bet you're an expert on that huh...:thinking:

I aint getting personal :(

JT44
11-22-2006, 11:15 PM
One simple answer and NO i'm not being racist by any mean's , look at the team rosters when the RGV teams play .......what is the ratio of white/Hispanic/Black's on their teams ? I'd put it at least 98% if not higher of Hispanic's . Start there and give some more input if anyone has a more reasonable explanation . One question to the Valley folks ....Who is the best player in the Valley right now and is being recruited by division 1 school's ?

The Further North you go the more the mix is evening out with the ratio of races playing for team's and yes this does make a difference .

Property value/economic development.......it's just geographical that the majority are mexican-american, if you are reading this from a computer in Texas remember it was once Mexico
Personally I know my ancestors came up this far b/c of the farming industry
Look at PI, it's right next to SPI. the hub of vacations for texans and spring breakers and lot's of little retirement communities popping up around there. Raising up property values and taxes for the school district. It didn't happen overnight
Some of the valley isd's can be compared to the school district that's smack dab in the middle of Dallas, I can't remember the name but they are losing so much money and students b/c of the suburban expansion. Nobody is leaving the valley, but nobody is coming in either to help the growth.

I didn't know there was a perfect mix? so do we need to throw in an asian guy too b/c cuero doesn't have any
not a good choice of words gobbler fan

SintonFan
11-22-2006, 11:25 PM
I aint getting personal :(
But isn't "jacking" a personal choice?:p :D

Ray_BearKat
11-22-2006, 11:39 PM

In the past 20 years here are some of the more noticeables:

3A:
Port Isabel
'94 State Semi's vs Sealy
'03 State Semi's vs Marlin

5A:
Mission HS
'90 DII State Semi's vs Aldine

PSJA HS
'05 D1 Reg. Final vs SA Madison

Edinburg HS
'98 D1 Reg. Final vs Judson
'99 D1 State Semi's vs Aldine Eisenhower

Harlingen HS
'89 Reg. Final vs Judson
'94 D1 Reg. Final vs Judson
'03 D1 Reg. Final vs Westlake
'05 D1 Reg. Final vs Judson

La Joya HS
'04 D1 Reg. Final vs Judson

Gobbla2001
11-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Port Isabel:

The King of 3A Valley schools...

SintonFan
11-23-2006, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Ray_BearKat
In the past 20 years here are some of the more noticeables:

3A:
Port Isabel
'94 State Semi's vs Sealy
'03 State Semi's vs Marlin

5A:
Mission HS
'90 DII State Semi's vs Aldine

PSJA HS
'05 D1 Reg. Final vs SA Madison

Edinburg HS
'98 D1 Reg. Final vs Judson
'99 D1 State Semi's vs Aldine Eisenhower

Harlingen HS
'89 Reg. Final vs Judson
'94 D1 Reg. Final vs Judson
'03 D1 Reg. Final vs Westlake
'05 D1 Reg. Final vs Judson

La Joya HS
'04 D1 Reg. Final vs Judson
I knew there was a reason the CalCats played Harlingen. Smart coach that Danaher.:clap:

Ray_BearKat
11-23-2006, 12:15 AM
here are my 2 cents:

yes in the pasted we haven't been able to compete with the above CC crowd...and we haven't been able to beat a state power in over 40 years, but in our defense not many teams in general regardless of area have beaten a "state power".

my take is that many times when we reach a reg. semi or state semi or any 4th or 5th round game we're playing with Judson or Westlake or Cuero or some other state power...if you look at all the teams in the Austin region or Dallas region or SA region...for the most part normal team get demolished to by them as well.

We get a bad rap for not having our state power yet that way all the other teams in the area can jump on the bandwaggon and say, "look we're good region."

Take this statement for example with 5A:

The Austin region is by far better area then the Valley.

Now take these names into consideration:
RR McNeil
RR Stony Pt.
RR Westwood
Georgetown
Austin High
A. Akins
A. Anderson
A. Bowie
Bastrop
Seguin
San Marcos

These teams are in the Austin region, a far better region then the RGV but when this statement is made its made on the accomplishments of Austin Westlake. This point can be made with almost every region in Texas.

Simple statistics:
Another one of my ideas, and this is just me not everyone in the valley, is that the RGV as a whole contains just under 1 million people, compared with other Texas metro's Dallas +5 million, Houston +5 million, Austin and SA both over 1.5 million.

When some school starts seeing success other people start congregating in that area wanting their kid to be in the best programs...you start congregating that much talent and of course who's gonna beat them. Take CC Calallen for example, people move to that area cause they want their kids to be in that kind of environment and naturally Calallen is gonna have a higher percentage of the talented or top quality players. This trend can be seen in every region in the state.

Then again these are just the ramblings of an undersized slow mexican who makes excuses for his area's shortcomings. Bottom line is we are making improvements and WILL be knocking on some traditional "state powers" door sometime in the future.

Johnny 5
11-23-2006, 12:26 AM
here are my 2 cents:

yes in the pasted we haven't been able to compete with the above CC crowd...and we haven't been able to beat a state power in over 40 years, but in our defense not many teams in general regardless of area have beaten a "state power".

my take is that many times when we reach a reg. semi or state semi or any 4th or 5th round game we're playing with Judson or Westlake or Cuero or some other state power...if you look at all the teams in the Austin region or Dallas region or SA region...for the most part normal team get demolished to by them as well.

We get a bad rap for not having our state power yet that way all the other teams in the area can jump on the bandwaggon and say, "look we're good region."

Take this statement for example with 5A:

The Austin region is by far better area then the Valley.

Now take these names into consideration:
RR McNeil
RR Stony Pt.
RR Westwood
Georgetown
Austin High
A. Akins
A. Anderson
A. Bowie
Bastrop
Seguin
San Marcos

These teams are in the Austin region, a far better region then the RGV but when this statement is made its made on the accomplishments of Austin Westlake. This point can be made with almost every region in Texas.

Simple statistics:
Another one of my ideas, and this is just me not everyone in the valley, is that the RGV as a whole contains just under 1 million people, compared with other Texas metro's Dallas +5 million, Houston +5 million, Austin and SA both over 1.5 million.

When some school starts seeing success other people start congregating in that area wanting their kid to be in the best programs...you start congregating that much talent and of course who's gonna beat them. Take CC Calallen for example, people move to that area cause they want their kids to be in that kind of environment and naturally Calallen is gonna have a higher percentage of the talented or top quality players. This trend can be seen in every region in the state.

Then again these are just the ramblings of an undersized slow mexican who makes excuses for his area's shortcomings. Bottom line is we are making improvements and WILL be knocking on some traditional "state powers" door sometime in the future.

Agree. And I am not an undersized slow mexican. I am a tall white man who is the minority here! :D

Gobbla2001
11-23-2006, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Johnny 5
Agree. And I am not an undersized slow mexican. I am a tall white man who is the minority here! :D

I feel for you...

Ray_BearKat
11-23-2006, 12:30 AM

LOL, well i'm only restating the opinion of who we are coming from the Valley...I'm not an undersized mexican...I like to think of myself as an above-average sized one:D

Johnny 5
11-23-2006, 12:30 AM
I feel for you...

Don't be feeling me! My wife might not like it. :D

SintonFan
11-23-2006, 12:35 AM
I'm a short fat white man who is a minority
stock-holder in Google.:D

Johnny 5
11-23-2006, 12:39 AM
I'm a short fat white man who is a minority
stock-holder in Google.:D

That don't count! :D

lol

Gobbla2001
11-23-2006, 12:39 AM
Don't be feeling me! My wife might not like it. :D

yah, might be a problem there....

District303aPastPlayer
11-23-2006, 01:11 AM

Bradley Stephens... i dont know if anyone had said that already

maroogreen
11-23-2006, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer

Who plays for former Cuero coach Bill Littleton and has verbally committed to Texas A&M, where he will join two other Cuero football players--Cody Wallace and Latrael Cooper. :D

Gotta love those Cuero connections.:clap:

Gobbler Fan
11-23-2006, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer

The choice of words were to be taken with a grain of salt JT44 .What I was trying to get across is the mix of kid's on the Varsity team compared to RH . As far as having asians we do at ST Michales :D

TY you for answering my question .....I knew the answer and at the time I was trying to prove a point . Stephens is one of the small percentage of non Hispanic players playing in the valley and also the best player in the Valley ....coincidence?

Bull Butter
11-23-2006, 09:40 AM

Explain to me then how teams like Katy, Westlake and Calallen can win and do well on a statewide level without that "mix" of races? How about North Shore? I don't think they have a "mix".

Truth is, your post is VERY racist. It implies that Hispanics can't play football and that the Valley teams can't compete because their rosters are loaded with them. You go on in a later post saying that you already knew Bradley Stephens was the RGV's best player and that he's not Hispanic. Do you think that every year the Valley's best player is a non-Hispanic?

Here's a little insight into who will be the RGV's top player next year....... BTW, he's Hispanic

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m68nrNtRaJ4

carter08
11-23-2006, 09:49 AM
Wow.
Remember, I said yesterday this would eventually turn racist.

I can see the future.

Race has very little to do with it. It is all about upbringing. It seems like families in the Valley do not push their children into football, which is the polar opposite of what most families around the state do. The families prefer their children to play soccer in the Valley.

pirate4state
11-23-2006, 09:55 AM

:eek: :eek: wow - he was only a sophmore?? Pretty shifty & fast!! :thumbsup: Of course, I saw some pretty poor tackling attempts. ;)

JT44
11-23-2006, 09:59 AM
I think the gobblers have had some great hispanic players over the years. What would we do withouth Fabian Olguin and Domingo Ruiz. And don't forget about Roy Sierra, Joey Gonzales, Zack Gomez, Don Arroyo, and Adam Arroyo.

I just am going to assume the original post by gobblerfan just was not worded correctly.
(and St. Michaels doesn't count)

Good point about teams like Callalen and Northshore

Bull Butter
11-23-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:eek: :eek: wow - he was only a sophmore?? Pretty shifty & fast!! :thumbsup: Of course, I saw some pretty poor tackling attempts. ;)

Yes, that was last year. He's put up some pretty impressive numbers again this season.

Johnny 5
11-23-2006, 10:17 AM
The choice of words were to be taken with a grain of salt JT44 .What I was trying to get across is the mix of kid's on the Varsity team compared to RH . As far as having asians we do at ST Michales :D

TY you for answering my question .....I knew the answer and at the time I was trying to prove a point . Stephens is one of the small percentage of non Hispanic players playing in the valley and also the best player in the Valley ....coincidence?

Yes, but your forget that Mishak Rivas, Juanito Martinez, Robbie Mesa, and Ralph Valdez are right ther with him . . . and they are hispanic

footballgal
11-23-2006, 10:38 AM
... It is all about upbringing. It seems like families in the Valley do not push their children into football, which is the polar opposite of what most families around the state do. The families prefer their children to play soccer in the Valley.

That is so further from the truth, football in the RGV, is KING!
(Well, maybe not in Brownsville)
Lots of money being dished out on stadiums, scoreboards, infladable helmets and sports shows. And the atomosphere, is like a college game atomosphere, I can tell you have never been to an RGV game on a Friday nite.

pirate4state
11-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
That is so further from the truth, football in the RGV, is KING!
(Well, maybe not in Brownsville)
Lots of money being dished out on stadiums, scoreboards, infladable helmets and sports shows. And the atomosphere, is like a college game atomosphere, I can tell you have never been to an RGV game on a Friday nite.

I wouldn't take anything Carter has to say to heart. He was "seeing the future" in regards to where this thread could go.

carter08
11-23-2006, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I wouldn't take anything Carter has to say to heart. He was "seeing the future" in regards to where this thread could go.

Foots, I did not ask for your opinion.

pirate4state
11-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Foots, I did not ask for your opinion. Moonpie, like I give a crap. :kiss:

wimbo_pro
11-23-2006, 11:20 AM
Explain to me then how teams like Katy, Westlake and Calallen can win and do well on a statewide level without that "mix" of races? How about North Shore? I don't think they have a "mix".

Truth is, your post is VERY racist. It implies that Hispanics can't play football and that the Valley teams can't compete because their rosters are loaded with them. You go on in a later post saying that you already knew Bradley Stephens was the RGV's best player and that he's not Hispanic. Do you think that every year the Valley's best player is a non-Hispanic?

Here's a little insight into who will be the RGV's top player next year....... BTW, he's Hispanic

I dont think Gobbler Fan's comment was racist at all. I think it is a fair question that (hopefully) will provoke some answers. Look at the NFL (and college for that matter). The % of Hispanic players are no where near their population %. Why is that? We all know it has nothing to do with their physical and mental abilities, so dont even think I am going there. I guess it has to do more with cultural and economic reasons? Any ideas?

Gobbler Fan
11-23-2006, 11:32 AM
You wanted an answer to this question I gave one ........I'm not singeling out one race Cuero COULDNT do without the names mentioned above you're trying to get this into a race thread which is not what I meant at all . As far as SLC and North Shore answer me this ......how many of the Valley families have the money to send their kid's to football camp's or in some cases personal trainers almost year round like the kid's at SLC do ? So economically , size , speed is some of which I was trying to get at not one race in general .....ease up people .:rolleyes:

Gobbla2001
11-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Katy is not all white... Westlake is not even doing that great anymore (and weren't all white all of the time when they were doing great) and North shore just happens to be a program with a load of talent in there... plus the coach has been there long enough and has done a great job with the team... Southlake's just about all white (were in '04 minus Nate Newton's son and a colored guy int he secondary), that's about the only one-colored team I've ever seen dominate...

But man that is a touchy subject... someone's about to sick that Latin American organization all over that poor Gobbler

Ray_BearKat
11-23-2006, 12:27 PM
But man that is a touchy subject... someone's about to sick that Latin American organization all over that poor Gobbler

:rolleyes: Latin American organization...whatever, the only Latin American organization gonna be all over Gobbler is the RH Bobcats tomorrow...

Lets get someone find one of your flaws and let him pick and pick and pick at it, see if you don't have some reaction to it...

Final statement, Valley football is improving...we'll close the gap just take some time.

Gobbla2001
11-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Well one thing is for sure, the guy is not intending to be a racist... hell two of the best players on our team are hispanic...

and I forgot, that Latin American Organization is not as bad as NAACP or ACLU yet, so they may take it easy on that guy...

Gobbler Fan
11-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Ive eaten and can't get up :D

Ray_BearKat
11-23-2006, 12:32 PM
Well one thing is for sure, the guy is not intending to be a racist... hell two of the best players on our team are hispanic...

and I forgot, that Latin American Organization is not as bad as NAACP or ACLU yet, so they may take it easy on that guy...

I never implied he was...

the only Latin American organization gonna be all over Gobbler is the RH Bobcats tomorrow...Good luck to both teams tomorrow.:D :p

Gobbler Fan
11-23-2006, 12:38 PM
not skeered :D

Ray_BearKat
11-23-2006, 12:40 PM
not skeered :D

lol, good...neither is RH I can assure you.

you can't get up...lol did you have thanksgiving breakfast? its early still...:D

Gobbler Fan
11-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Now it's time to watch some football if my daughter would let me change the channel off of the Macy's parade .....which is not going to happen .

Enjoy that Turkey RH thats the only one you'll be able to catch . hehe j/k :p

44INAROW
11-23-2006, 01:08 PM

..lol did you have thanksgiving breakfast? its early still...:D

I was going to ask the same thing - We're going Round 1 @ 1:00 at my moms and Round 2 about 6 pm at the inlaws - I hope everyone has a good day with their families/friends - :)

Maroon87
11-23-2006, 04:25 PM
y'all took a good thread the wrong direction...

Was this ever really a good thread?:thinking:

Bull Butter
11-23-2006, 05:40 PM
I just realized that san benito traveled to round rock to play us my senior year for our homecoming game. it was hilarious, they came out with the smoke machine making all this hoopla, probably because it was the biggest crowd they'd ever seen, besides the local super wal mart the day after Thanksgiving, but anyway, they came out putting on this show and we kicked the ever living dog snot out of them. it wasn't even funny...and they won their district that year. but's what's crazy is that it looked like they brought the entire town of san benito with them, which is around 6 hours away I believe, they traveled a ton of fans, but they were a very undersized/slow/weak varsity football team...if our jv played them, our starters would be on the bench by the end of the first half.

Nothing like letting something as insignficant as FACTS get in the way of a good Valley-bash!:D

Thank God we have "Glutes" around to set the record straight!:eek:

From "Glutes" on the RGVSports board..................

Give me a link to the thread where this fool posted this comment.

First, this chump suffers from some horrible selective memory. The only thing the dude got right was that San Benito was well travelled.

The first thing that the chump got wrong was that they kicked "the ever living dog snot" out of us. WRONG!!!! Second thing he got wrong was that we won our district that year. WRONG! But the laugher is this crap, "they were a very undersized/slow/weak varsity football team...if our jv played them, our starters would be on the bench by the end of the first half". WRONG!!! They're VARSITY had hard enough time with us, screw their JV!

San Benito did travel to Round Rock to play Round Rock Westwood in Week 10 of the Regular Season in 1992, a week before our Bi-District game. Round Rock Westwood was 5-4 and had just qualified for their first ever playoff appearance. San Benito entered the game on a 5-game winning streak with a 6-3 record having qualified for the playoffs 2 weeks before and after starting the season 1-3.

The final score in this game?

San Benito - 9
Round Rock WW - 14
(Final)

San Benito wasn't even close to getting "the ever living dog snot" beat out of them. In fact, San Benito outgained Round Rock Westwood in total yardage 373 to 323 with San Benito's QB Ronnie Gonzalez racking up 234 passing yards while all-state WR Mike Olvera had his fun with Round Rock's secondary to the tune of 8 receptions for 134 yards. Also worth noting is that game was 7-6 pretty much all game with San Benito missing at least 2 FG's before taking a 9-7 lead on a Rudy Quilantan FG with 2 minutes left in the game. Westwood had to pull off a miracle 72 yard game winning-scoring drive in the final 2 minutes of the game to win this game thanks to the legs of RB Jason Ross who scored the game-winning TD with 26 seconds left in the game.

They won by the hair of their chinny-chin-chin. They were NOWHERE CLOSE to beating the ever living snot out of us and that was their VARSITY ball club what was playoff bound, but yeah, I guess having outgained them in total yardage with our QB and WR connecting all game and losing the game in the final 26 seconds showed how small, slow and weak we were.

Oh yeah, we beat the Corbin Epps-led Edinburg Bobcats in Edinburg the following week in Bi-District.

Again, give me the link to the thread where this guy posted these comments.

Fal44
11-23-2006, 06:19 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Good find Bull butter...

Gobbla2001
11-23-2006, 06:38 PM
That's a lot of yards for 14, and 9 points...

wildgobbler
11-23-2006, 06:48 PM
I see you agree as well, but cant find the words to explain.

no money?? they have alot of turf fields down there:confused:

Gobbla2001
11-23-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by wildgobbler

dude where have you been?

Johnny 5
11-23-2006, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by wildgobbler

Sharyland is just a rich school.

Brownsvilel has 5 schools that play on one field. Impossible to put grass

Ray_BearKat
11-23-2006, 11:57 PM
Sharyland is just a rich school.

Brownsvilel has 5 schools that play on one field. Impossible to put grass

we played against Brownsville Hanna when I was a freshman and i remember the before turf days it was pretty much a dirty field from all the trampling...

in the RGV there are only 4 turf fields...

Brownsville has 5 HS's that play on their field soon to be 6 HS's

Sharyland they just got the money...

PSJA has 3 teams that share that field soon to be 4 HS's

McAllen has 3 teams that share that field

Ray_BearKat
11-25-2006, 12:21 AM
So here we are after week 2 of the second season...and we have a few RGV teams still in the hunt. Its not much but, baby steps, Rome wasn't built in a day...here's a list of 3rd round match ups for the Rio Grande Valley teams:

5A:
D1:
Los Fresnos vs Austin Westlake
D2:
McAllen Memorial vs SA MacArthur
Harlingen South vs San Marcos @ Laredo SAC

4A:
Edcouch-Elsa vs Schertz Clemens

1A:
La Villa vs Thorndale

5A D1:
*Weslaco vs Laredo United play tomorrow
3A D1:
*La Feria vs Ingleside play tomorrow

I guess this is the round we will be tested by some state powers...

SintonFan
11-25-2006, 12:25 AM
Romo wasn't built in a day! It took 4 years. :D

RiverRat19
11-25-2006, 12:32 AM
I happened to be in the Corpus area tonight (seeing family for the holidays) and was able to go to the RH/Cuero game... Very impressed with RH and not as impressed with the play of Cuero. They have incredible athletes but didn't seem to play too sharp for how unstoppable they are (according to ranking/comments here.) I saw them in the pre game warm ups and thought I was looking at a JuCo team... wow. That speed and talent (if they can get their heads on right) should go faaaaaaaaaaar in the playoffs.

To give RH their due, they played with heart and awesome effort and did a super job to keep the game close. I was impressed with their size and the quickness of the RBs, QB, and LBs. Good team play and great job.

I wonder if the Gobblers were looking past "that valley" team to Wimberley?... They better come with their heads on straight there or it will be a long bus ride home.

RiverRat19
11-25-2006, 12:34 AM
So here we are after week 2 of the second season...and we have a few RGV teams still in the hunt. Its not much but, baby steps, Rome wasn't built in a day...here's a list of 3rd round match ups for the Rio Grande Valley teams:

5A:
D1:
Los Fresnos vs Austin Westlake
D2:
McAllen Memorial vs SA MacArthur
Harlingen South vs San Marcos @ Laredo SAC

4A:
Edcouch-Elsa vs Schertz Clemens

1A:
La Villa vs Thorndale

5A D1:
*Weslaco vs Laredo United play tomorrow
3A D1:
*La Feria vs Ingleside play tomorrow

I guess this is the round we will be tested by some state powers...
Not sure if Laredo United or Ingleside would be considered state powers.... Nice programs maybe but they aren't in the same status as Clemens and Westlakes of the world...

big daddy russ
11-25-2006, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by RiverRat19
Not sure if Laredo United or Ingleside would be considered state powers.... Nice programs maybe but they aren't in the same status as Clemens and Westlakes of the world...
Don't think Ingleside would be considered the Valley. We're north of Corpus.

RiverRat19
11-25-2006, 12:37 AM
I think he's talking about LaFeria being from the valley...

Ray_BearKat
11-25-2006, 12:42 AM
I was mentioning United and Ingleside because these games are being played tomorrow not because they're state powers...I meant round 3 was going to be against some state powers next week.