PDA

View Full Version : 92 Year Old Woman Dies in Gunfight With Police

District303aPastPlayer
11-22-2006, 02:39 PM
I seriously can't make this up...

92-Year-Old Woman Dies in Shootout With Police

ATLANTA (Nov. 22) - Authorities were searching for a man who sold illegal drugs to undercover agents when they burst into the home of an elderly woman, sparking a gunfight in which three officers were wounded and the woman was killed.

The agents had obtained a search warrant after buying drugs Tuesday afternoon from a man in Kathryn Johnston's home, Assistant Atlanta Police Chief Alan Dreher said Wednesday.

After police identified themselves and knocked down the woman's door she opened fire and injured three of the officers, Dreher said during a news conference with other officials.

She was killed in the ensuing gunfight, he said.

Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard said his office is conducting its own independent investigation into the fatal shooting, but said a preliminary review of the case shows the officers "had a legal" right to search the home.

Neighborhood activists held their own news conference Wednesday on behalf of Johnston's family.

Rev. Markel Hutchins, a civil rights activist and spokesman for the family, said he could understand why the elderly woman would possess a gun because her residence sits in a high-crime area and she lived in fear. He said she was a loving woman who stayed by herself and didn't bother anyone.

"She was afraid," Hutchins said. "This is a horrifying situation in a neighborhood where crime happens often. This incident is a result of a mix-up."

Neighbors and relatives said it was a case of mistaken identity. Police said Johnston was the only resident in the house at the time and had lived in the home for about 17 years. Authorities said she was 92, but some records suggested she was 88.

Dreher said the officers had a legal warrant and "knocked and announced" before they forced open the door. He said they were justified in returning fire when they were fired upon.

The plainclothes Atlanta police officers were transported to Grady Memorial Hospital for treatment. One was hit in the arm, another in a thigh and the third in a shoulder, and all three were conscious and alert, police said.

As the officers approached the house about 7 p.m., a woman inside started shooting, said Officer Joe Cobb, a police spokesman. The officers returned fire, Cobb said.

Sarah Dozier, a niece of the woman, told WAGA-TV that there were never any drugs at the house.

"My aunt was in good health. I'm sure she panicked when they kicked that door down," Dozier said. "There was no reason they had to go in there and shoot her down like a dog."

The shooting comes at a time when there is already concern over use of force by police in the Atlanta area. Earlier Tuesday, the district attorney in neighboring DeKalb County, where 12 people have been killed by police so far this year, said her office may present evidence to a grand jury that could bring criminal charges.

Rev. Markel Hutchins, a civil rights leader, said Johnston's family deserves an apology.

"Of the police brutality cases we've had, this is the most egregious because of the woman's age," Hutchins said.

Hutchins said he would try to meet with Atlanta Police Chief Richard Pennington and would also meet with lawyers.

11/22/2006 13:22:09

pirate4state
11-22-2006, 02:43 PM
:eek: :eek: wow.......

and

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: @
Rev. Markel Hutchins, a civil rights activist and spokesman for the family

Adidas410s
11-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
+1

Blastoderm55
11-22-2006, 02:47 PM
If people in normal clothes broke my door down I'd shoot them too. This is why I'm against people having guns. Lady probably couldn't hear or see worth a darn to begin with. Terrible situation. Hard to really fault either side though. They didn't know the only person in the house was an elderly woman who was packing some heat.

+2 Wow

DU_stud04
11-22-2006, 02:51 PM
woooooooooooow

sweetwater07
11-22-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

and

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: @

lol...a spokesperson..give me a break...and no can;t blame the woman...i would prob. shoot too if some guy kicked down my door w/out a uniform

Boosty_Hondo
11-22-2006, 04:05 PM
that is just a wow from me

mrescape43
11-22-2006, 06:47 PM
I hate to say this but I hope that the womans family sues the crap out of the department. Anytime that you are going to forcefully enter a house there should be some uniforms so that the occupant knows for sure that they are PD. I'd do the same thing if someone burst into my house like that.

Jason1725
11-22-2006, 07:37 PM
"This is why I'm against people having guns."

This is why I am for people having guns. Thats why the founding fathers wanted the right to have guns. Just because they are the police gave them no right to do that. Maybe they should have got the right house, because you can't tell me they actually thought that poor woman was selling drugs. What a freaking injustice this is. I hope those cops lose their jobs.

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things

mrescape43
11-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Jason1725
"This is why I'm against people having guns."

This is why I am for people having guns. Thats why the founding fathers wanted the right to have guns. Just because they are the police gave them no right to do that. Maybe they should have got the right house, because you can't tell me they actually thought that poor woman was selling drugs. What a freaking injustice this is. I hope those cops lose their jobs.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Being a former police officer I know that it is protocal to have uniformed officers serve a search warrant. I'm sure there were some there.

Bandera YaYa
11-22-2006, 08:43 PM
Hard to tell from that article just what went down...I mean did the lady have a gun to protect her or the drugs in the house?? If it was in fact that same house, something wrong was happening in her house....might be she hung around the wrong kinda crowd! Still, sad. The cops apparently had cause to enter the house, they gotta protect temselves also. I'm sure they were just as surprised it was an old lady that was shooting at them. If the lady was of African Amercan heritage, I'm sure Jesse Jackson will set us straight.
:rolleyes:

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-22-2006, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
If the lady was of African Amercan heritage, I'm sure Jesse Jackson will set us straight.
:rolleyes:

I know that is right.

mrescape43
11-23-2006, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
I know that is right.

Jesse Jackson is a freakin joke!

Who-dun-it!!?
11-23-2006, 03:43 PM
in my opinion, I'll stay out of this one.

mrescape43
11-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Who-dun-it!!?
in my opinion, I'll stay out of this one.

Don't stay out. Lets hear what you have to say on this one.