La Tech = 9-42/2 tds
Tech = 12-77/1 td
Kansas = 10-48/2 tds
Mizzou = 28-127/1 td**
Ok State = 10-25/2 tds
Baylor = 12-53/1 td
OU = 13-62/1 td
NEB = 6-13/1 td

So, in 2 games he has gotten over 20 carries & went over 100 yds. each time. A&M won both games too.

Granted, Goodson has had some nice games too. But running Lane & controlling the clock works in A&M's favor big-time. Pound Lane & wear down the defense (Lane had 104 yds. on 17 carries vs. Texas last year, plus he threw a td pass). I would saddle the big boy up & ride him all day long.

g$$
11-22-2006, 01:01 PM
A&M must stretch the field vertically in the passing game to have a chance. Texas safeties have a tendency to bite on play action. If A&M is unable to run the ball it will be a long day.

Texas is 2nd in rush defense, but 108th in pass defense. A&M must throw the ball to stay in the game.

I expect A&M to play hard & hang around most of the game. But Texas pulls it out late & it ends up:

Texas 38
A&M 24
FINAL

mistanice
11-22-2006, 01:08 PM
an aggie realist = oxymoron

oh and don't try to rip me a new one G MONEY!

g$$
11-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Gotta be objective, otherwise you're nothing more than a homer.

g$$
11-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
an aggie realist = oxymoron

oh and don't try to rip me a new one G MONEY!

Why would I? You made a true statement, but it goes both ways too. Most fans are not objective, but anyone who knows me will tell you I certainly am. I wish more Horns would take off the orange blinders too. Much more refreshing to me.

injuredinmelee
11-22-2006, 01:42 PM
I think thiws is anyones ball game. A&M could easily pull his win off and I dont think it would be considered an upset.

Macarthur
11-22-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I think thiws is anyones ball game. A&M could easily pull his win off and I dont think it would be considered an upset.

IM, I'm right there with you. It seems to me that everyone is thinking Texas will win this without giving it much thought. If Fran comes out and coaches aggressively like he did at TCU and Alabama and at times at A&M, the Aggies can win this one.

Also, everyone is talking about how A&M can't run on Texas. A&M has run on everyone, including OU. OU's defense is significantly better than Texas, IMO. Now, A&M must have some balance, but those that think Texas will shut down A&M's running attack haven't been watching the games.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this could go like Jackie's team back in 84, I think. They were getting better but nobody knew how good. The Aggies wipped Texas in Austin and went on a good run. I could actually see A&M building a lead in this one and if they can get ahead and make Texas one-dimensional, A&M could win this one going away. A&M's defense is much better than K-State. They won't gamble near as much so Texas will have to put together multiple drives to score.

Something like 27-17 A&M.

g$$
11-22-2006, 03:42 PM
Great post, we think much alike in that Fran must coach more aggressively & play to win. I saw him onsides kick TWICE vs. OU when he was at Bama. I want to see that style again. He could win some people back showing a backbone & going for it much more often. What does he have to lose now?

Yes, A&M must have balance, & I feel we can run the ball on anyone. But to win we will have to hit some big passes down the field. That will be the key to me on offense.

On defense, I want to see McCoy take a hit. Nothing dirty, but rattle his cage & see how that neck/shoulder feels. Just good, clean football. I would love to see Snead in the game. He is not ready yet.

Texas is not the elite team they were a year ago, but still very good. Playing in Austin is awfully tough. I hope the Ags can pull it out.

Funny you mention '84 & the turnaround thereafter. 10/11 wins over Texas followed, & it all started after blowing out Texas in Austin. Can history repeat itself? I sure hope so.

Old Tiger
11-22-2006, 06:13 PM
11 or so of the touchdowns were against subpar teams

mrescape43
11-22-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Jorvorskie Lane on year for Texas A&M:
143 carries = 629 yds. 19 tds

Game by game:
Citadel = 7-29/1 td
ULL = 12-52/4 tds
Army = 24-101/3 tds**
La Tech = 9-42/2 tds
Tech = 12-77/1 td
Kansas = 10-48/2 tds
Mizzou = 28-127/1 td**
Ok State = 10-25/2 tds
Baylor = 12-53/1 td
OU = 13-62/1 td
NEB = 6-13/1 td

So, in 2 games he has gotten over 20 carries & went over 100 yds. each time. A&M won both games too.

Granted, Goodson has had some nice games too. But running Lane & controlling the clock works in A&M's favor big-time. Pound Lane & wear down the defense (Lane had 104 yds. on 17 carries vs. Texas last year, plus he threw a td pass). I would saddle the big boy up & ride him all day long.

How many pizzas did he eat? I'll bet that it is more than his total yards! :D :D J/K

scrublydubly
11-22-2006, 08:34 PM
I got J. Train in class and he really is a big man. Like many have said, A&M should ride that big Clydesdale till he cant go no more. If Fran can do that and go vertical to someone such as Kerry Franks who has burned most defenses when givin an oppurtunity to do so, A&M can win this game by a larger margin than what K-State did. However, Fran scares because of his seemingly non-risk take offense. When he took those risk like the double reverse pass to Franks against Missouri and the Pass by Lane against Nebraska it got the players excited and fired up and you could just see a different Aggie team on the sideline. One more thing that bothers me is not throwing to a 6'7" 240 lbs TE. Bennett has proved he is one of the most dynamic players on the squad so throw to his big body in the red zone. So, for me run J. Train in the ground, lil PAP to Schroeder and Franks, and throw to the big guy around the goalline. Oh yeah and dont let Peterson in the game with less 2 minutes in the game if it is a one score game. Other teams loce picking on him for the win.

big daddy russ
11-22-2006, 08:46 PM
I'd love to see him get 25 carries. The thing about the UT defense is that it's so big and strong up front, that they're tough to run on, but when you have a guy like Lane in the backfield that run D will definitely soften up after 20-25 carries.

And you're right about stretching the field. I'd like to see McGee unload a little more than he's done in the past. It's a secondary ripe for the picking, I just don't want to take a chance with turnovers unless they're long turnovers.

Can't wait to see what happens. I really think this will be a great game. All of A&M's other ones have, whether they're playing Army or Oklahoma.

g$$
11-23-2006, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
11 or so of the touchdowns were against subpar teams

Stupid statement. How many of Colt's TD passes have come against sub-par teams too? Like 6 vs. Baylor...

Give credit where it is due. If Fran runs Lane on the goal line more (like NEB & OU), then he would probably have more TDs & A&M would have less FGs. Play to win Frannie & use your best weapon on the goal line.

Russ & Scrubly: we think alike! Pound Lane, stretch the field vertically, use Martellus a lot more in the attack, control the clock, mix in Goodson, keep the chains moving, & it's a game in the 4th quarter. See what happens.

g$$
11-23-2006, 01:56 AM
Special teams will be big as always too. Texas has blocked punts against A&M the past 2 years. Last year the game swung back to Texas after the muffed punt by A&M, then the blocked punt by Texas leading directly to a score. Momentum changed right there in the game. Final 40-29 Texas.

Special teams must be near perfect for A&M in this one to have a chance. I am anxious to see how McCoy looks coming back from injury. Hit him hard & hit him often (clean of course) & see what happens. Snead is NOT ready & all Horns know it. Should be fun & exciting.

coach
11-23-2006, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Stupid statement. How many of Colt's TD passes have come against sub-par teams too? Like 6 vs. Baylor...

Give credit where it is due. If Fran runs Lane on the goal line more (like NEB & OU), then he would probably have more TDs & A&M would have less FGs. Play to win Frannie & use your best weapon on the goal line.

Russ & Scrubly: we think alike! Pound Lane, stretch the field vertically, use Martellus a lot more in the attack, control the clock, mix in Goodson, keep the chains moving, & it's a game in the 4th quarter. See what happens.

:clap:

g$$
11-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Were Colt's 3 picks yesterday against a sub-par team too?

Guess you were just stirring the pot here too Tiger WR!

(I realize he was not 100%. Texas does have 85 on scholarship like everyone else too. If he was not well, then he should not have played (Snead?). Arm strength definitely was not there yesterday.)

Macarthur
11-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Were Colt's 3 picks yesterday against a sub-par team too?

Guess you were just stirring the pot here too Tiger WR!

(I realize he was not 100%. Texas does have 85 on scholarship like everyone else too. If he was not well, then he should not have played (Snead?). Arm strength definitely was not there yesterday.)

Your earlier analysis was quite on. I think the difference in this game was that A&M got pressure on Colt and rattled him. Quite frankly, I didn't think they would be able to get that kind of pressure.

Your point about special teams was a very valid one. However, A&M's special teams were not very good, but the defense made up for it. Amazing.